Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Modern keys...

I feel as if modern keys promote failure to ensure the successful
locking of a door on *every* occasion.

I'm super vigilant of late but some years ago I was surprised how many
times I was getting home to discover the front door wasn't actually locked.
I can only presume it was down to that extra turn they need, which if
you don't and further don't try the handle, fail.

Just had a new door on at work, it's a Yale lock, a stupid flat key that
you can't distinguish which way around it is to ensure you get in the
right way first time and it only comes out horizontal, which after you
give it a good old turn, needs turning back on itself to get the
frigging key out.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

R D S wrote:

I feel as if modern keys promote failure to ensure the successful
locking of a door on *every* occasion.

I can only presume it was down to that extra turn they need, which if
you don't and further don't try the handle, fail.

Most euro locks will lock without turning the key, they need the extra
turn to deadlock.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

R D S wrote

I feel as if modern keys promote failure to ensure the successful locking
of a door on *every* occasion.

The best of the electronic locks dont.

I'm super vigilant of late but some years ago I was surprised how many
times I was getting home to discover the front door wasn't actually
locked.

Never happens to me.

I can only presume it was down to that extra turn they need,

Mine dont.

which if you don't and further don't try the handle, fail.

Just had a new door on at work, it's a Yale lock, a stupid flat key that
you can't distinguish which way around it is to ensure you get in the
right way first time and it only comes out horizontal, which after you
give it a good old turn, needs turning back on itself to get the frigging
key out.

You should have got a decent electronic lock instead.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 02/03/2020 17:21, R D S wrote:
I feel as if modern keys promote failure to ensure the successful
locking of a door on *every* occasion.

I'm super vigilant of late but some years ago I was surprised how many
times I was getting home to discover the front door wasn't actually locked.
I can only presume it was down to that extra turn they need, which if
you don't and further don't try the handle, fail.

Just had a new door on at work, it's a Yale lock, a stupid flat key that
you can't distinguish which way around it is to ensure you get in the
right way first time and it only comes out horizontal, which after you
give it a good old turn, needs turning back on itself to get the
frigging key out.

You just have to get used to it. It's your lack of familiarity that's
the problem. I went through the same thing myself.

Bill
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default UNBELIEVABLE: It's 06:04 am in Australia and the Senile Ozzietard has been out of Bed and TROLLING for almost TWO HOURS already!!!! LOL

On Tue, 3 Mar 2020 06:04:22 +1100, , better known as cantankerous

FLUSH the usual senile troll****

....and nothing's left, as usual!

--
Website (from 2007) dedicated to the 86-year-old trolling senile
cretin from Oz:

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Brian Gaff (Sofa 2) wrote

All the same why change from a convention which everyone understood, to a
weird convoluted system?

To make it harder for the scrotes to get thru it.

"williamwright" wrote in message
On 02/03/2020 17:21, R D S wrote:
I feel as if modern keys promote failure to ensure the successful
locking of a door on *every* occasion.

I'm super vigilant of late but some years ago I was surprised how many
times I was getting home to discover the front door wasn't actually
locked.
I can only presume it was down to that extra turn they need, which if
you don't and further don't try the handle, fail.

Just had a new door on at work, it's a Yale lock, a stupid flat key that
you can't distinguish which way around it is to ensure you get in the
right way first time and it only comes out horizontal, which after you
give it a good old turn, needs turning back on itself to get the
frigging key out.

You just have to get used to it. It's your lack of familiarity that's the
problem. I went through the same thing myself.

Bill

Posted to uk.d-i-y

All the same why change from a convention which everyone understood, to a
weird convoluted system?
Brian

The change from traditional to the flat type of key is to do with the
ease with which the locks with traditional keys can be "picked" by
people with no skill by using a device available cheaply on Ebay. It is
debatable if a thief would bother with a lock rather than kicking in a
door panel or smashing a window.

I do wonder if the OP has the right type of lock on his front door.
Every lock I've had on front doors has needed a key to open once the
door has been closed. An extra turn of the key has been required to dead
lock it.

Other doors (back doors) may have locks of the type that do require the
key to be used to lock it. Usually fitted so that you cannot
accidentally lock yourself out just going into the garden.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default UNBELIEVABLE: It's 08:24 am in Australia and the Senile Ozzietard has been out of Bed and TROLLING for OVER FOUR HOURS already!!!! LOL

On Tue, 3 Mar 2020 08:24:47 +1100, cantankerous trolling geezer Rodent

FLUSH the senile cretin's latest troll****

--
Website (from 2007) dedicated to the 86-year-old trolling senile
cretin from Oz:

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 02/03/2020 22:10, alan_m wrote:
I do wonder if the OP has the right type of lock on his front door.
Every lock I've had on front doors has needed a key to open once the
door has been closed. An extra turn of the key has been required to dead
lock it.

I run 100% on chubb type locks. No door in this house locks on closing.
All require a key.

look exactly the same afterwards."

Billy Connolly
Posted to uk.d-i-y

The Natural Philosopher wrote:

I run 100% on chubb type locks. No door in this house locks on closing.
All require a key.

+1

Chris
--
Chris J Dixon Nottingham UK
@ChrisJDixon1

Plant amazing Acers.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message , Chris Hogg
writes
On Tue, 03 Mar 2020 09:29:47 +0000, Chris J Dixon
wrote:

The Natural Philosopher wrote:

I run 100% on chubb type locks. No door in this house locks on closing.
All require a key.

+1

Chris

+2

All my outer doors are double glazed PVC units with a modern locking
systems. Close the door; lift the handle to engage the several locking
points; turn the key one revolution; remove the key. No extra turn or
dead-locking. Older doors, with a single mortise lock or whatever,
might be different I suppose.

Ours too. However, the locksmith was pretty disparaging about the lock
security when I went for some extra keys.

Apparently the insert can be snapped easily and the lock operated with
simple tools.

For a modest sum he was keen to offer a d-i-y fittable version. On the
to do list....

--
Tim Lamb
Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

[...]

Ours sound similar - but all keys have a number of tiny magnets which, apparently, makes them more difficult to pick.

I just wish they were keyed-alike instead of having four different patterns...

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 02/03/20 22:10, alan_m wrote:
All the same why change from a convention which everyone understood, to a
weird convoluted system?
Brian

The change from traditional to the flat type of key is to do with the
ease with which the locks with traditional keys can be "picked" by
people with no skill by using a device available cheaply on Ebay. It is
debatable if a thief would bother with a lock rather than kicking in a
door panel or smashing a window.

I do wonder if the OP has the right type of lock on his front door.
Every lock I've had on front doors has needed a key to open once the
door has been closed. An extra turn of the key has been required to dead
lock it.

Indeed. That type of lock is called a "night latch"
(https://www.locksmiths.co.uk/faq/night-latches-guide/). When we had
an old wooden front door changed to PVC, the company fitted a "non-night
latch" door which required a key to lock. We hated it and got a night
latch fitted (a strangely awkward change as the handle mechanism for
night latch locks was in a different place!).

Other doors (back doors) may have locks of the type that do require the
key to be used to lock it. Usually fitted so that you cannot
accidentally lock yourself out just going into the garden.

Same here.

--

Jeff

Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

[...]

You can do the job yourself in less than 5 minutes if it's a eurolock
you want to replace. I changed all our eurolocks to high-security
anti-snap locks here. As they were bought at different times, we have
different keys, although it is possible to have the same key for all the
locks. I bought them he
https://www.barnsleylock.co.uk/avocet-abs-mk3-ultimate-cylinders-13-c.asp
The service was excellent and they were very helpful.

These locks aren't cheap, but the money you save by fitting them
yourself will help with the cost.

--

Jeff
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message ,
polygonum_on_google writes
wrote:

[...]

Quite! Two exterior doors supplied and fitted by the same company....
different keys!

--
Tim Lamb
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
The Natural Philosopher wrote:
On 02/03/2020 22:10, alan_m wrote:
I do wonder if the OP has the right type of lock on his front door.
Every lock I've had on front doors has needed a key to open once the
door has been closed. An extra turn of the key has been required to
dead lock it.

I run 100% on chubb type locks. No door in this house locks on closing.
All require a key.

Live on your own, then? Or just don't care about other's safety?

--
*When you've seen one shopping centre you've seen a mall*

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Dave Plowman (News) wrote:
In article ,
The Natural Philosopher wrote:
On 02/03/2020 22:10, alan_m wrote:
I do wonder if the OP has the right type of lock on his front door.
Every lock I've had on front doors has needed a key to open once the
door has been closed. An extra turn of the key has been required to
dead lock it.

I run 100% on chubb type locks. No door in this house locks on closing.
All require a key.

Live on your own, then? Or just don't care about other's safety?

It may come as a surprise to you but in many parts of the country we dont
feel the need to have locked doors when were in the house.

Tim

--
Please don't feed the trolls
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 03/03/2020 17:33, Tim+ wrote:
Dave Plowman (News) wrote:
In article ,
The Natural Philosopher wrote:
On 02/03/2020 22:10, alan_m wrote:
I do wonder if the OP has the right type of lock on his front door.
Every lock I've had on front doors has needed a key to open once the
door has been closed. An extra turn of the key has been required to
dead lock it.

I run 100% on chubb type locks. No door in this house locks on closing.
All require a key.

Live on your own, then? Or just don't care about other's safety?

It may come as a surprise to you but in many parts of the country we dont
feel the need to have locked doors when were in the house.

Or often when we are out either.

Tim

...I'd spend it on drink.

Sir Henry (at Rawlinson's End)

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Tim+ wrote:
Dave Plowman (News) wrote:
In article ,
The Natural Philosopher wrote:
On 02/03/2020 22:10, alan_m wrote:
I do wonder if the OP has the right type of lock on his front door.
Every lock I've had on front doors has needed a key to open once the
door has been closed. An extra turn of the key has been required to
dead lock it.

I run 100% on chubb type locks. No door in this house locks on closing.
All require a key.

Live on your own, then? Or just don't care about other's safety?

It may come as a surprise to you but in many parts of the country we dont
feel the need to have locked doors when were in the house.

We rarely lock ours when we're out of the house!

--
Chris Green
·
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article , Chris Green
wrote:
Tim+ wrote:
Dave Plowman (News) wrote:
In article , The Natural Philosopher
wrote:
On 02/03/2020 22:10, alan_m wrote:
I do wonder if the OP has the right type of lock on his front door.
Every lock I've had on front doors has needed a key to open once
the door has been closed. An extra turn of the key has been
required to dead lock it.

I run 100% on chubb type locks. No door in this house locks on
closing. All require a key.

Live on your own, then? Or just don't care about other's safety?

It may come as a surprise to you but in many parts of the country we
dont feel the need to have locked doors when were in the house.

We rarely lock ours when we're out of the house!

--

I wonder whether your insurance company would pay out on any claim.

--
from KT24 in Surrey, England
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 03/03/2020 19:32, charles wrote:
In article , Chris Green
wrote:
wrote:
On 02/03/2020 22:10, alan_m wrote:
I do wonder if the OP has the right type of lock on his front door.
Every lock I've had on front doors has needed a key to open once
the door has been closed. An extra turn of the key has been
required to dead lock it.

I run 100% on chubb type locks. No door in this house locks on
closing. All require a key.

Live on your own, then? Or just don't care about other's safety?

It may come as a surprise to you but in many parts of the country we
dont feel the need to have locked doors when were in the house.

We rarely lock ours when we're out of the house!

--

I wonder whether your insurance company would pay out on any claim.

That is in fact the issue. Years ago when I was burgled, the French
doors were unlocked. Fortunately the perps were a bit thick and had
jemmied a window instead. I got paid OK

One salient fact from that was the joyous policewoman who informed me
that they had also B and E'd a house with a woman and child in it "So
now we can charge then with Robbery With Violence and that will get them
seven years instead of three!"

So anyone who walks into your house while you are in it, you can tell
them that you will in the end get them done for robbery with violence if
they don't scarper.

Another salient fact is when the police ask you to ID your goods at a
police station 70 miles way, only ID enough to help them get a
conviction and don't tell the insurance company more than that. It took
me two years and 240 miles of travelling to get back the items the
police did recover during which time the insurance did NOT pay for the
items because they had been 'recovered'

--
The ultimate result of shielding men from the effects of folly is to
fill the world with fools.

Herbert Spencer
Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:
wrote:
[...]

I did in fact deliberately hide in the house after parking the
car a couple of streets away so it looked like I was at work
again after the first break in with the school kids who had
done it stupidly gawking at the house as they walked thru the
walk way next to the house on the way to school next day.

Grabbed the ****er when one of them ended up down
the end of the house where I was hiding, rather stupidly
with hindsight given that he a had a big piece of very
heavy walled 3" galvanised pipe off cut in his hand.
He got such a surprise that he didnt try to use it.

Called the cops with the phone with the bugger squirming
in my other hand and managed to call 999 which isnt even
out emergency number, outs is 000

When the cops showed up, one of them was a rather slender
female cop who didnt look like she would be very effective.
The stupid perp said something to her that I didnt quite catch
and she proceeded to start belting him in the chest shouting WHAT
DID YOU SAY as he ****ted his pants. Bit of a bad day for him.

Then I was later down the cop shop to make a formal statement
at the front counter when his mum showed up at the cop shop
screaming abuse at the cops as soon as she got thru the front door.

No surprise that the perps were well known to the cops, some
of our indigenes that we later found out had been shacking
up with some of their relos down the end of the street in our
equivalent of a council house.

Another salient fact is when the police ask you to ID your goods at a
police station 70 miles way, only ID enough to help them get a conviction
and don't tell the insurance company more than that. It took me two years
and 240 miles of travelling to get back the items the police did recover
during which time the insurance did NOT pay for the items because they had
been 'recovered'

I didnt lose much, just some weird stuff like frozen pizzas
out of the freezer and a full bottle of cheap scotch and a
jar full of biros. Stupid kids.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

The Natural Philosopher wrote:

That is in fact the issue. Years ago when I was burgled, the French
doors were unlocked. Fortunately the perps were a bit thick and had
jemmied a window instead. I got paid OK

I bought a house, over 40 years ago, from a police sergeant. The
only thing securing the outward opening timber French door was a
bathroom door bolt, which would not have delayed anybody for more
than a few moments.

Chris
--
Chris J Dixon Nottingham UK
@ChrisJDixon1

Plant amazing Acers.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 03/03/2020 20:47, Chris J Dixon wrote:
The Natural Philosopher wrote:

That is in fact the issue. Years ago when I was burgled, the French
doors were unlocked. Fortunately the perps were a bit thick and had
jemmied a window instead. I got paid OK

I bought a house, over 40 years ago, from a police sergeant. The
only thing securing the outward opening timber French door was a
bathroom door bolt, which would not have delayed anybody for more
than a few moments.

A friend bought an ex-police house in the '90s. It had a few extra
storage and utility rooms compared to the similar, surrounding houses
and they had rather sturdy doors and frames. It didn't take long to
realise that they were holding cells from the days when there were far
more police and little centralisation.

SteveW
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 03/03/2020 20:47, Chris J Dixon wrote:
The Natural Philosopher wrote:

That is in fact the issue. Years ago when I was burgled, the French
doors were unlocked. Fortunately the perps were a bit thick and had
jemmied a window instead. I got paid OK

I bought a house, over 40 years ago, from a police sergeant. The
only thing securing the outward opening timber French door was a
bathroom door bolt, which would not have delayed anybody for more
than a few moments.

All that held that window in place was a swivel catch. I reckon less
than a second to get in the 'fully locked' entrance.

To be honest a vibro saw would have cut though the lath and render wall
in under a minute..

It makes nonsense of door locks, but that's what the insurance company
likes isn't it? Chubbs on the doors.

The last way I'd force entry to my house is through a door.

Chris

Lucas Bergkamp
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Tue, 03 Mar 2020 21:35:34 +0000, The Natural Philosopher wrote:

On 03/03/2020 20:47, Chris J Dixon wrote:
The Natural Philosopher wrote:

That is in fact the issue. Years ago when I was burgled, the French
doors were unlocked. Fortunately the perps were a bit thick and had
jemmied a window instead. I got paid OK

I bought a house, over 40 years ago, from a police sergeant. The only
thing securing the outward opening timber French door was a bathroom
door bolt, which would not have delayed anybody for more than a few
moments.

All that held that window in place was a swivel catch. I reckon less
than a second to get in the 'fully locked' entrance.

To be honest a vibro saw would have cut though the lath and render wall
in under a minute..

It makes nonsense of door locks, but that's what the insurance company
likes isn't it? Chubbs on the doors.

Our front door has a BS3621 Yale lock. The insurance company are happy
with that, and it self locks.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 03/03/2020 21:41, Bob Eager wrote:
[...]

Self locking is a nightmare in the country when you spend half your time
outside the house in the garden

--
New Socialism consists essentially in being seen to have your heart in
the right place whilst your head is in the clouds and your hand is in

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Tue, 03 Mar 2020 21:42:37 +0000, The Natural Philosopher wrote:

Self locking is a nightmare in the country when you spend half your time
outside the house in the garden

I can open it from my mobile phone. Or indeed any phone, with some effort.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

The Natural Philosopher wrote:

I run 100% on chubb type locks. No door in this house locks on closing.
All require a key.

+1

Chris

+2

All my outer doors are double glazed PVC units with a modern locking
systems. Close the door; lift the handle to engage the several locking
points; turn the key one revolution; remove the key. No extra turn or
dead-locking. Older doors, with a single mortise lock or whatever,
might be different I suppose.

My DG front door is similar BUT on first pulling the door closed one
cannot enter again without the key. Then pulling up on the handle
engages a further multipoint locking mechanism which can be disabled
again by pulling down on the handle unless the key is inserted and
turned to further lock the multipoint mechanism

The same locking mechanism works slightly differently from inside in
that the door can be opened without a key unless the multipoint
mechanism is engaged AND locked in place with the key.

My back door seems to be the same as yours, a full door length
multipoint lock can be engaged/disengaged and the door opened with the
outside or inside handle unless locked with the multipoint mechanism in
the engaged position with the key.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 03/03/2020 23:24, alan_m wrote:
My DG front door is similar BUT on first pulling the door closed one
cannot enter again without the key. Then pulling up on the handle
engages a further multipoint locking mechanism which can be disabled
again by pulling down on the handle unless the key is inserted and
turned to further lock the multipoint mechanism

The same locking mechanism works slightly differently from inside in
that the door can be opened without a key unless the multipoint
mechanism is engaged AND locked in place with the key.

An elderly friend has this: I keep a piece of bent metal strip outside
his house so I can push it through the letterbox and open the door from
'outside'.

--
In a Time of Universal Deceit, Telling the Truth Is a Revolutionary Act.

- George Orwell
Posted to uk.d-i-y

The Natural Philosopher wrote:

Self locking is a nightmare in the country when you spend half your time
outside the house in the garden

Mine has a little 'snick' you can lift on the way out if you haven't got
your keys in your pocket.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Andy Burns wrote:

The Natural Philosopher wrote:

Self locking is a nightmare in the country when you spend half your time
outside the house in the garden

Mine has a little 'snick' you can lift on the way out if you haven't got
your keys in your pocket.

That is fine, provided you always remember. :-(

Once got caught out by the door on a flat I was living in. It
opened outwards and had a rim latch. Locked out, the only
equipment I had was in my Honda C50 tool roll.In the end I
jammed in a spanner handle to open the gap, and a screwdriver,
which happened to have a broken blade, had a sharp enough point
to inch the bolt backwards.

Chris
--
Chris J Dixon Nottingham UK
@ChrisJDixon1

Plant amazing Acers.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Wed, 4 Mar 2020 07:36:59 +0000, Andy Burns wrote:

The Natural Philosopher wrote:

Self locking is a nightmare in the country when you spend half your time
outside the house in the garden

Mine has a little 'snick' you can lift on the way out if you haven't got
your keys in your pocket.

Last GF's house had that - it wore to the point of failing if the door was
semi-slammed. I replaced the whole lock but didn't trust it. Don't like
failure-critical thingies.
--
Peter.
The gods will stay away

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article
,
Tim+ wrote:
Dave Plowman (News) wrote:
In article ,
The Natural Philosopher wrote:
On 02/03/2020 22:10, alan_m wrote:
I do wonder if the OP has the right type of lock on his front door.
Every lock I've had on front doors has needed a key to open once the
door has been closed. An extra turn of the key has been required to
dead lock it.

I run 100% on chubb type locks. No door in this house locks on
closing. All require a key.

Live on your own, then? Or just don't care about other's safety?

It may come as a surprise to you but in many parts of the country we
dont feel the need to have locked doors when were in the house.

Tim

Just have the door swinging open then if the only lock is a Chubb?

--
*I almost had a psychic girlfriend but she left me before we met *

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
The Natural Philosopher wrote:
Our front door has a BS3621 Yale lock. The insurance company are happy
with that, and it self locks.

Self locking is a nightmare in the country when you spend half your time
outside the house in the garden

Never known any night latch that can't be locked open.

But I'd guess that is too complicated for you?

--
*Until I was thirteen, I thought my name was SHUT UP .

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Dave Plowman (News) wrote:

In article ,
The Natural Philosopher wrote:
Our front door has a BS3621 Yale lock. The insurance company are happy
with that, and it self locks.

Self locking is a nightmare in the country when you spend half your time
outside the house in the garden

Never known any night latch that can't be locked open.

But I'd guess that is too complicated for you?

Are you the kind of super-person who can actually remember to do this
*every* time?
Most people are only saved a lot of money and inconvenience by having a
hidden key outside somewhere.

--

Roger Hayter
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Dave Plowman (News) wrote:

In article
,
Tim+ wrote:
Dave Plowman (News) wrote:
In article ,
The Natural Philosopher wrote:
On 02/03/2020 22:10, alan_m wrote:
I do wonder if the OP has the right type of lock on his front door.
Every lock I've had on front doors has needed a key to open once the
door has been closed. An extra turn of the key has been required to
dead lock it.

I run 100% on chubb type locks. No door in this house locks on
closing. All require a key.

Live on your own, then? Or just don't care about other's safety?

It may come as a surprise to you but in many parts of the country we
dont feel the need to have locked doors when were in the house.

Tim

Just have the door swinging open then if the only lock is a Chubb?

You are allowed to have a spring-operated latch and door knobs/levers.

--

Roger Hayter
Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

I'd prefer them not to get in and attack me or scare the **** out of a young child.

So anyone who walks into your house while you are in it, you can tell
them that you will in the end get them done for robbery with violence if
they don't scarper.

And how do you know they would care, perhaps they'd prefer to knife you
enable the to take more stuff and take a risk of not being caught.

Another salient fact is when the police ask you to ID your goods at a
police station 70 miles way, only ID enough to help them get a
conviction and don't tell the insurance company more than that. It took
me two years and 240 miles of travelling to get back the items the
police did recover during which time the insurance did NOT pay for the
items because they had been 'recovered'

wouldn't it be better to have locked doors?.
Do you leave your car door unlocked too ?