Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Modern keys...

On Tuesday, 3 March 2020 19:55:34 UTC, The Natural Philosopher wrote:
On 03/03/2020 19:32, charles wrote:
In article , Chris Green
wrote:
Tim+ wrote:
Dave Plowman (News) wrote:
In article , The Natural Philosopher
wrote:
On 02/03/2020 22:10, alan_m wrote:
I do wonder if the OP has the right type of lock on his front door..
Every lock I've had on front doors has needed a key to open once
the door has been closed. An extra turn of the key has been
required to dead lock it.

I run 100% on chubb type locks. No door in this house locks on
closing. All require a key.

Live on your own, then? Or just don't care about other's safety?

It may come as a surprise to you but in many parts of the country we
don€˜t feel the need to have locked doors when we€˜re in the house.

We rarely lock ours when we're out of the house!

--

I wonder whether your insurance company would pay out on any claim.

That is in fact the issue. Years ago when I was burgled, the French
doors were unlocked. Fortunately the perps were a bit thick and had
jemmied a window instead. I got paid OK

One salient fact from that was the joyous policewoman who informed me
that they had also B and E'd a house with a woman and child in it "So
now we can charge then with Robbery With Violence and that will get them
seven years instead of three!"

I'd prefer them not to get in and attack me or scare the **** out of a young child.

So anyone who walks into your house while you are in it, you can tell
them that you will in the end get them done for robbery with violence if
they don't scarper.

And how do you know they would care, perhaps they'd prefer to knife you
enable the to take more stuff and take a risk of not being caught.

Another salient fact is when the police ask you to ID your goods at a
police station 70 miles way, only ID enough to help them get a
conviction and don't tell the insurance company more than that. It took
me two years and 240 miles of travelling to get back the items the
police did recover during which time the insurance did NOT pay for the
items because they had been 'recovered'

wouldn't it be better to have locked doors?.
Do you leave your car door unlocked too ?