Posted to uk.d-i-y
turnipt fucker turnipt fucker is offline

Default Modern keys...

On 03/03/2020 19:32, charles wrote:
In article , Chris Green
wrote:
Tim+ wrote:
Dave Plowman (News) wrote:
In article , The Natural Philosopher
wrote:
On 02/03/2020 22:10, alan_m wrote:
I do wonder if the OP has the right type of lock on his front door.
Every lock I've had on front doors has needed a key to open once
the door has been closed. An extra turn of the key has been
required to dead lock it.

I run 100% on chubb type locks. No door in this house locks on
closing. All require a key.

Live on your own, then? Or just don't care about other's safety?

It may come as a surprise to you but in many parts of the country we
don€˜t feel the need to have locked doors when we€˜re in the house.

We rarely lock ours when we're out of the house!

--

I wonder whether your insurance company would pay out on any claim.

That is in fact the issue. Years ago when I was burgled, the French doors
were unlocked. Fortunately the perps were a bit thick and had jemmied a
window instead. I got paid OK

One salient fact from that was the joyous policewoman who informed me that
they had also B and E'd a house with a woman and child in it "So now we
can charge then with Robbery With Violence and that will get them seven
years instead of three!"

So anyone who walks into your house while you are in it, you can tell them
that you will in the end get them done for robbery with violence if they
don't scarper.

I did in fact deliberately hide in the house after parking the
car a couple of streets away so it looked like I was at work
again after the first break in with the school kids who had
done it stupidly gawking at the house as they walked thru the
walk way next to the house on the way to school next day.

Grabbed the ****er when one of them ended up down
the end of the house where I was hiding, rather stupidly
with hindsight given that he a had a big piece of very
heavy walled 3" galvanised pipe off cut in his hand.
He got such a surprise that he didnt try to use it.

Called the cops with the phone with the bugger squirming
in my other hand and managed to call 999 which isnt even
out emergency number, outs is 000

When the cops showed up, one of them was a rather slender
female cop who didnt look like she would be very effective.
The stupid perp said something to her that I didnt quite catch
and she proceeded to start belting him in the chest shouting WHAT
DID YOU SAY as he ****ted his pants. Bit of a bad day for him.

Then I was later down the cop shop to make a formal statement
at the front counter when his mum showed up at the cop shop
screaming abuse at the cops as soon as she got thru the front door.

No surprise that the perps were well known to the cops, some
of our indigenes that we later found out had been shacking
up with some of their relos down the end of the street in our
equivalent of a council house.

Another salient fact is when the police ask you to ID your goods at a
police station 70 miles way, only ID enough to help them get a conviction
and don't tell the insurance company more than that. It took me two years
and 240 miles of travelling to get back the items the police did recover
during which time the insurance did NOT pay for the items because they had
been 'recovered'

I didnt lose much, just some weird stuff like frozen pizzas
out of the freezer and a full bottle of cheap scotch and a
jar full of biros. Stupid kids.