Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Home printer recommendations please!

(Yeah, sorry...)

Just sent the old colour HP laser to the holiday resort of
no return. Didn't really use the colour that much so B&W
would be fine.

Has inkjet still got the clogging problems of old?

Any new technology come on the the market?

Use will be infrequent; maybe at most 10 A4 sheets a month.

Thanks in advance!
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 02/03/2020 12:33, David Paste wrote:
(Yeah, sorry...)

Just sent the old colour HP laser to the holiday resort of
no return. Didn't really use the colour that much so B&W
would be fine.

Has inkjet still got the clogging problems of old?

Especially if you have only infrequent use. The modern ones use ever
finer dots to get closer to photo real which means more deep cleaning.

Any new technology come on the the market?

There are LED as well as laser printers now. If you have the space then
getting one of the cheaper but big and ugly refurb office grade printers
from the likes of Morgan is one way to solve the problem. Might be
overkill if your printing needs are such low volume though.

You can get duplex monochrome laser printers now for about £80. And at
such low volume you won't really need to worry about consumables cost.

Use will be infrequent; maybe at most 10 A4 sheets a month.

Thanks in advance!

That's less than my daily paper consumption!

--
Regards,
Martin Brown
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 02/03/2020 12:33, David Paste wrote:
(Yeah, sorry...)

Just sent the old colour HP laser to the holiday resort of
no return. Didn't really use the colour that much so B&W
would be fine.

Has inkjet still got the clogging problems of old?

Any new technology come on the the market?

Use will be infrequent; maybe at most 10 A4 sheets a month.

Thanks in advance!

How far are you from a library ?.

They will have a photocopier that can print from a usb stick,
my local ones do, or use the library user computers to
print your documents on the laser printer that they should have
on site.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 02/03/2020 13:36, Andrew wrote:
On 02/03/2020 12:33, David Paste wrote:
(Yeah, sorry...)

Just sent the old colour HP laser to the holiday resort of
no return. Didn't really use the colour that much so B&W
would be fine.

Has inkjet still got the clogging problems of old?

Any new technology come on the the market?

Use will be infrequent; maybe at most 10 A4 sheets a month.

Thanks in advance!

How far are you from a library ?.

They will haveÂ* a photocopier that can print from a usb stick,
my local ones do, or use the library user computers to
print your documents on the laser printer that they should have
on site.

Frankly I seem to use the printer itself less and less.
I dumped my inkjet A1 plotter too. No one wanted it, it was massive and
if I do need an A0/A1 sized print the art shop has one and its next door
to waitrose.

Josef Stalin

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Martin Brown wrote:
You can get duplex monochrome laser printers now for about £80. And at
such low volume you won't really need to worry about consumables cost.

A basic Brother or Samsung is 70-80 pounds and should have cheap
consumables. They're more compact than the colour lasers too.

Theo

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 02/03/2020 12:33, David Paste wrote:
(Yeah, sorry...)

Just sent the old colour HP laser to the holiday resort of
no return. Didn't really use the colour that much so B&W
would be fine.

Has inkjet still got the clogging problems of old?

Any new technology come on the the market?

Use will be infrequent; maybe at most 10 A4 sheets a month.

Thanks in advance!

buy the cheapest £20 Epson 245 or similar and buy fake ink....printers
and ink are a rip off
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 02/03/2020 12:33, David Paste wrote:
(Yeah, sorry...)

Just sent the old colour HP laser to the holiday resort of
no return. Didn't really use the colour that much so B&W
would be fine.

Has inkjet still got the clogging problems of old?

Any new technology come on the the market?

Use will be infrequent; maybe at most 10 A4 sheets a month.

Thanks in advance!

Look on eBay for a refurb HP 1320
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
David Paste wrote:
(Yeah, sorry...)

Just sent the old colour HP laser to the holiday resort of
no return. Didn't really use the colour that much so B&W
would be fine.

Has inkjet still got the clogging problems of old?

Any new technology come on the the market?

Use will be infrequent; maybe at most 10 A4 sheets a month.

If you do make sure you use an 'inkjet' regularly - say at least once a
fortnight - clogging shouldn't be a problem. But will be if your average
is done in only one month of the year. ;-)

--
*If horrific means to make horrible, does terrific mean to make terrible?

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
Dave Plowman (News) wrote:
In article ,
David Paste wrote:
(Yeah, sorry...)

Just sent the old colour HP laser to the holiday resort of
no return. Didn't really use the colour that much so B&W
would be fine.

Has inkjet still got the clogging problems of old?

Any new technology come on the the market?

Use will be infrequent; maybe at most 10 A4 sheets a month.

If you do make sure you use an 'inkjet' regularly - say at least once a
fortnight - clogging shouldn't be a problem. But will be if your average
is done in only one month of the year. ;-)

I have a reasonablr modern inkjet which is probably not used ( as a copier)
more frequently than every three months. In the 3 years I've had it, I
haven't had a head clog - but then I use OEM inks.

--
from KT24 in Surrey, England
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 02/03/2020 15:14, Jim GM4DHJ ... wrote:
On 02/03/2020 12:33, David Paste wrote:
(Yeah, sorry...)

Just sent the old colour HP laser to the holiday resort of
no return. Didn't really use the colour that much so B&W
would be fine.

Has inkjet still got the clogging problems of old?

Any new technology come on the the market?

Use will be infrequent; maybe at most 10 A4 sheets a month.

Thanks in advance!

buy the cheapest £20 Epson 245 or similar and buy fake ink....printers
and ink are a rip off

Assuming that the firmware in the printer isn't crippled to
identify non-genuine ink and refuse to play.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 02/03/2020 16:29, Andrew wrote:
On 02/03/2020 15:14, Jim GM4DHJ ... wrote:
On 02/03/2020 12:33, David Paste wrote:
(Yeah, sorry...)

Just sent the old colour HP laser to the holiday resort of
no return. Didn't really use the colour that much so B&W
would be fine.

Has inkjet still got the clogging problems of old?

Any new technology come on the the market?

Use will be infrequent; maybe at most 10 A4 sheets a month.

Thanks in advance!

buy the cheapest £20 Epson 245 or similar and buy fake ink....printers
and ink are a rip off

Assuming that the firmware in the printer isn't crippled to
identify non-genuine ink and refuse to play.

just don't allow updates when asked...then no problem...
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 02/03/2020 12:33, David Paste wrote:

Has inkjet still got the clogging problems of old?

I have varying degrees of success myself, it's a bit of a lottery.

But inkjet issues aside, Brother are at last doing a machine with
refillable tanks.
It's not particularly cheap but you'll never get the 'replace
cartridge', 'cartridge not found', 'reinsert cartridge' ******** that
often comes before a lot of faffing, stained fingers and a trip to the tip.

https://www.cityinkexpress.co.uk/che...printer-bundle
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"David Paste" wrote in message
(Yeah, sorry...)

Just sent the old colour HP laser to the holiday resort of
no return. Didn't really use the colour that much so B&W
would be fine.

Has inkjet still got the clogging problems of old?

Any new technology come on the the market?

Use will be infrequent; maybe at most 10 A4 sheets a month.

I currently dont bother with a printer for a volume like that.
The local library has an email address I email what I want
printed to and I go there, insert a coin and it gets printed
for 20c a page. Even with the cost of the car to get there
and back for an urgent print instead of when I am next
out, even a free printer and a set of non kosher inks carts
cant compete with that for that volume. And I dont even
do 10 sheets a month, not even 10 sheets a year now.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default UNBELIEVABLE: It's 05:06 am in Australia and the Senile Ozzietard has been out of Bed and TROLLING for almost an HOUR already!!!! LOL

On Tue, 3 Mar 2020 05:06:41 +1100, cantankerous trolling geezer Rodent

FLUSH senile cretin's troll****

05:06??? So you've been up and trolling for almost an hour, already, yet
AGAIN! LOL

--
Bill Wright to Rot Speed:
"That confirms my opinion that you are a despicable little ****."
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message , R D S writes
On 02/03/2020 12:33, David Paste wrote:
Has inkjet still got the clogging problems of old?

I have varying degrees of success myself, it's a bit of a lottery.

But inkjet issues aside, Brother are at last doing a machine with
refillable tanks.
It's not particularly cheap but you'll never get the 'replace
cartridge', 'cartridge not found', 'reinsert cartridge' ******** that
often comes before a lot of faffing, stained fingers and a trip to the
tip.

https://www.cityinkexpress.co.uk/che...ap-printer-bun
dles-for-brother-printers/a4/refill-tank-system/dcp-t310-refill-tank-sys
tem--/frp-230/printer-bundle

I'm using an Epson ET-2650 (Tank). About 50% through the black tank and
no noticeable problems so far. Not cheap! and does at least 20
pages/week.

--
Tim Lamb

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
Andrew wrote:
Assuming that the firmware in the printer isn't crippled to
identify non-genuine ink and refuse to play.

Are they even allowed to do this by law?

--
*If you must choose between two evils, pick the one you've never tried before

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message , Jim GM4DHJ ...
writes
On 02/03/2020 16:29, Andrew wrote:
On 02/03/2020 15:14, Jim GM4DHJ ... wrote:
On 02/03/2020 12:33, David Paste wrote:
(Yeah, sorry...)

Just sent the old colour HP laser to the holiday resort of
no return. Didn't really use the colour that much so B&W
would be fine.

Has inkjet still got the clogging problems of old?

Any new technology come on the the market?

Use will be infrequent; maybe at most 10 A4 sheets a month.

Thanks in advance!

buy the cheapest £20 Epson 245 or similar and buy fake
ink....printers and ink are a rip off

Assuming that the firmware in the printer isn't crippled to
identify non-genuine ink and refuse to play.

just don't allow updates when asked...then no problem...

I've got an Epson XP-610 (probably much more modern than the 245). It
complains when you insert a non-Epson cartridge, and asks if you're
really sure you want to use it - but then it simply carries on as
normal.
--
Ian
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Ian Jackson" wrote in message
In message , Jim GM4DHJ ...
writes
[...]

Likely they were forced to do that by the EU.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Monday, 2 March 2020 13:05:46 UTC, Martin Brown wrote:

There are LED as well as laser printers now.

Are the LED ones notably better n terms of print quality
or power consumption?
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Monday, 2 March 2020 13:47:54 UTC, The Natural Philosopher wrote:

Frankly I seem to use the printer itself less and less.
I dumped my inkjet A1 plotter too. No one wanted it, it was massive and
if I do need an A0/A1 sized print the art shop has one and its next door
to waitrose.

Yebbut this means I'll have to get and set up a Waitrose and frankly I
don't have the time.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Monday, 2 March 2020 15:42:53 UTC, Dave Plowman (News) wrote:

If you do make sure you use an 'inkjet' regularly - say at least once a
fortnight - clogging shouldn't be a problem. But will be if your average
is done in only one month of the year. ;-)

I might start printing the odd photo, that'd do it. I've been thinking
of that for a while anyway but I had my heart set on one of the Canon
Pixma dye-sub for 6x4 prints. Hmmm...
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Monday, 2 March 2020 18:06:51 UTC, Rod Speed wrote:

I currently dont bother with a printer for a volume like that.
The local library has an email address I email what I want
printed to and I go there, insert a coin and it gets printed
for 20c a page. Even with the cost of the car to get there
and back for an urgent print instead of when I am next
out, even a free printer and a set of non kosher inks carts
cant compete with that for that volume. And I dont even
do 10 sheets a month, not even 10 sheets a year now.

I am tempted by this idea. Cheers.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Monday, 2 March 2020 18:50:43 UTC, Tim Lamb wrote:

I'm using an Epson ET-2650 (Tank). About 50% through the black tank and
no noticeable problems so far. Not cheap! and does at least 20
pages/week.

Don't suppose you've got any comparative experience with Canon
inkjets have you?
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Monday, 2 March 2020 13:36:41 UTC, Andrew wrote:

How far are you from a library ?.

They will have a photocopier that can print from a usb stick,
my local ones do, or use the library user computers to
print your documents on the laser printer that they should have
on site.

This is a great idea, cheers.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default UNBELIEVABLE: It's 09:05 am in Australia and the Senile Ozzietard has been out of Bed and TROLLING for FIVE HOURS already!!!! LOL

On Tue, 3 Mar 2020 09:05:47 +1100, cantankerous trolling geezer Rodent

FLUSH senile asshole's troll****

09:05??? LOL STILL not willing to go to bed, you clinically insane
86-year-old troll? LOL

--
about senile Rot Speed:
MID:

Posted to uk.d-i-y

David Paste wrote
Rod Speed wrote

I currently dont bother with a printer for a volume like that.
The local library has an email address I email what I want
printed to and I go there, insert a coin and it gets printed
for 20c a page. Even with the cost of the car to get there
and back for an urgent print instead of when I am next
out, even a free printer and a set of non kosher inks carts
cant compete with that for that volume. And I dont even
do 10 sheets a month, not even 10 sheets a year now.

I am tempted by this idea. Cheers.

Works better for you rare photo prints too.

Id prefer to show up at the place with the
printer, select the printer from the range
at the place on the screen of my phone
and pay for it with applepay or googlepay
but I havent got around to checking which
of the locals do that so conveniently yet.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
Ian Jackson wrote:
I've got an Epson XP-610 (probably much more modern than the 245). It
complains when you insert a non-Epson cartridge, and asks if you're
really sure you want to use it - but then it simply carries on as
normal.

Just the same as my XP 415. Nags, but works.

--
*Many hamsters only blink one eye at a time *

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 02/03/2020 21:35, Ian Jackson wrote:
In message , Jim GM4DHJ ...
writes
On 02/03/2020 16:29, Andrew wrote:
On 02/03/2020 15:14, Jim GM4DHJ ... wrote:
On 02/03/2020 12:33, David Paste wrote:
(Yeah, sorry...)

Just sent the old colour HP laser to the holiday resort of
no return. Didn't really use the colour that much so B&W
would be fine.

Has inkjet still got the clogging problems of old?

Any new technology come on the the market?

Use will be infrequent; maybe at most 10 A4 sheets a month.

Thanks in advance!

buy the cheapest £20 Epson 245 or similar and buy fake
ink....printersÂ* and ink are a rip off
Â*Assuming that the firmware in the printer isn't crippled to
identify non-genuine ink and refuse to play.

just don't allow updates when asked...then no problem...

I've got an Epson XP-610 (probably much more modern than the 245). It
complains when you insert a non-Epson cartridge, and asks if you're
really sure you want to use it - but then it simply carries on as normal.

mine too...then it tells you it has came to the end of its life...early
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 02/03/2020 22:08, David Paste wrote:
On Monday, 2 March 2020 13:05:46 UTC, Martin Brown wrote:

There are LED as well as laser printers now.

Are the LED ones notably better n terms of print quality
or power consumption?

Not really - quality is OK just marginally cheaper. Their price
advantage has largely vanished now that laser diodes are mass produced.

--
Regards,
Martin Brown
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message ,
David Paste writes
On Monday, 2 March 2020 18:50:43 UTC, Tim Lamb wrote:

I'm using an Epson ET-2650 (Tank). About 50% through the black tank and
no noticeable problems so far. Not cheap! and does at least 20
pages/week.

Don't suppose you've got any comparative experience with Canon
inkjets have you?

None. Sorry. I have had a series of Epson inkjets because my wife likes
to have photos printed!
The photo series have always suffered from expensive ink and regular jet
cleaning.

--
Tim Lamb

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Lonely Abnormal Auto-contradicting Psychotic Senile Ozzie Troll Alert! LOL

On Tue, 3 Mar 2020 11:02:34 +1100, cantankerous trolling geezer Rodent

Works better for you rare photo prints too.

I¢d prefer to show up at the place

Wanna bet that at that place they prefer that you NOT show up again, you
obnoxious abnormal senile pest?

--
Kerr-Mudd,John addressing senile Rot:
MID:
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 03/03/2020 08:54, Tim Lamb wrote:
In message ,
David Paste writes
On Monday, 2 March 2020 18:50:43 UTC, Tim LambÂ* wrote:

I'm using an Epson ET-2650 (Tank). About 50% through the black tank and
no noticeable problems so far. Not cheap! and does at least 20
pages/week.

Don't suppose you've got any comparative experience with Canon
inkjets have you?

None. Sorry. I have had a series of Epson inkjets because my wife likes
to have photos printed!
The photo series have always suffered from expensive ink and regular jet
cleaning.

I think autocleaning in inkjets is a con. My (2006) Dell AIO *never*
autocleans, and I only use it intermittently. There's still a supply of
genuine Dell cartridges around, but the colour ones are a bit difficult
to find that work properly. Currently colour prints are a bit streaky,
but acceptable.

--
Max Demian
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Tuesday, 3 March 2020 09:00:54 UTC, Tim Lamb wrote:

None. Sorry. I have had a series of Epson inkjets because my wife likes
to have photos printed!
The photo series have always suffered from expensive ink and regular jet
cleaning.

I've had Epson in the past, and very good they have been, too. But they
were the older ones so the inks have faded now on all the prints I did
with them. And they clogged like buggers. I've heard the Canon ones are
much better at not clogging.

The newer inks are supposed to be much more fade resistant, too.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"David Paste" wrote in message
On Tuesday, 3 March 2020 09:00:54 UTC, Tim Lamb wrote:

None. Sorry. I have had a series of Epson inkjets because my wife likes
to have photos printed!
The photo series have always suffered from expensive ink and regular jet
cleaning.

I've had Epson in the past, and very good they have been, too. But they
were the older ones so the inks have faded now on all the prints I did
with them. And they clogged like buggers.

I've heard the Canon ones are much better at not clogging.

Correct and you get a new head with each cart change too.

The newer inks are supposed to be much more fade resistant, too.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default UNBELIEVABLE: It's 09:56 am in Australia and the Senile Ozzietard has been out of Bed and TROLLING for OVER SEVEN HOURS already!!!! LOL

On Wed, 4 Mar 2020 09:56:55 +1100, cantankerous trolling geezer Rodent

FLUSH senile troll****

09:56??? And you STILL can't go to bed, you abnormal piece of senile ****?
LOL

--
Website (from 2007) dedicated to the 86-year-old trolling senile
cretin from Oz:

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 2 Mar 2020 at 12:33:35 GMT, "David Paste" wrote:

(Yeah, sorry...)

Just sent the old colour HP laser to the holiday resort of
no return. Didn't really use the colour that much so B&W
would be fine.

Has inkjet still got the clogging problems of old?

Any new technology come on the the market?

Use will be infrequent; maybe at most 10 A4 sheets a month.

Thanks in advance!

FWIW, I'm in a similar situation to you and bought a reasonably compact HP
colour laser from a local forum (Nextdoor) for £20, including a full set of
generic toner. Been working fine for a couple of years.

--
Cheers, Rob
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 03/03/2020 22:52, David Paste wrote:
On Tuesday, 3 March 2020 09:00:54 UTC, Tim Lamb wrote:

None. Sorry. I have had a series of Epson inkjets because my wife likes
to have photos printed!
The photo series have always suffered from expensive ink and regular jet
cleaning.

So long as you are not in a hurry Fuji crystal archive photo prints will
outlast anything an inkjet can produce. Displays I did in 2006 are still
going strong on the Fuji prints. Inkjet images as part of the display
from the same period have now been replaced three times due to fading.

Reds and yellows fail first since absorbing energetic blue photons is a
big hit. Eventually you end up with a pale ghost cyanotype image.

My Canon printer made a big thing about how light stable their dyes were
back in the day. They were sort of right on their high end media - a
wedding print I did lasted 10 years on a sunny windowledge indoors. But
posters printed on ordinary paper and posted outdoors under plexiglass
have visible fading after only a month.

Laser toner doesn't fade or run when water gets into the noticeboard.

I've had Epson in the past, and very good they have been, too. But they
were the older ones so the inks have faded now on all the prints I did
with them. And they clogged like buggers. I've heard the Canon ones are
much better at not clogging.

The newer inks are supposed to be much more fade resistant, too.

Only pigment inks are even close to fade resistant. The ones that put a
base coat clear UV layer on top being about the best. Compared to a
colour laser none of the inkjet printers come close for light stability.

https://sdgmag.com/features/think-in...oor-durability

A good laser isn't quite photoreal but it is good enough for most
practical purposes as you can always get proper photo prints elsewhere.

My Canon A3 colour inkjet printer survives OK on pretty much monthly
usage without undue problems from the ink drying out.

--
Regards,
Martin Brown