Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Recommend decent (re-fillable) inkjet printer please!

Hi guys - what printers have you had good luck with? Just need a basic
inkjet with good quality black print, and easily re-fillable
cartridges so it doesn't cost the earth. Thanks for any
recommendations. Andy

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 13 Apr 2007 03:54:22 -0700
"Eusebius" wrote:

Hi guys - what printers have you had good luck with? Just need a basic
inkjet with good quality black print, and easily re-fillable
cartridges so it doesn't cost the earth. Thanks for any
recommendations. Andy

I've been pleased with Lexmark Z515 I got from Argos. The cartidges
are expensive, but are not 'chipped' and I find they are easy to refil
with el-cheapo ALDI ink - I only refill the black ones as the colour is
too fiddly. It cost under £50 three years ago.

R.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In uk.d-i-y, Eusebius wrote:
Hi guys - what printers have you had good luck with?

HP LaserJet 1010.

Just need a basic
inkjet with good quality black print, and easily re-fillable
cartridges so it doesn't cost the earth.

Oh, inkjet? I never come across one that was any good. Go for a laser.

--
Mike Barnes
Posted to uk.d-i-y
jal jal is offline

On 13 Apr 2007 03:54:22 -0700
"Eusebius" wrote:

Hi guys - what printers have you had good luck with? Just need a basic
inkjet with good quality black print, and easily re-fillable
cartridges so it doesn't cost the earth. Thanks for any
recommendations.

I bought a Samsung ML2010 LASER printer from Ebuyer a few weeks ago for
49.95: much faster, much quieter, much less fuss, and (probably) prints
many more pages than an inkjet.

Of course, it's only B/W. But I actually bought this to replace an
Epson PhotoPlus Stylus (thingummy-wotstit-do-dah) printer that I'd
bought only 9 months previously.

I'd had the idea I'd be printing my own digital photos. Occasionally, I
succeeded in doing this, but all in all decided that it is a complete
mug's game. I now use one of the many websites to get photos printed
superbly and quickly (Photobox in my case), and I have the laser printer
for what I really needed it for: the odd letter.

I'm *extremely* happy about it: the inkjet was a waste of time and money.

John
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Eusebius wrote:
Hi guys - what printers have you had good luck with? Just need a basic
inkjet with good quality black print, and easily re-fillable
cartridges so it doesn't cost the earth. Thanks for any
recommendations. Andy

Go for a cheap laser if you only need black

http://www.pixmania.co.uk/uk/uk/5078...html?srcid=867

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Eusebius wrote:

Hi guys - what printers have you had good luck with? Just need a basic
inkjet with good quality black print, and easily re-fillable
cartridges so it doesn't cost the earth. Thanks for any
recommendations.

I've never had luck with any inkjet, and nowadays most of them are
rigged so that if you use a refill the printer either refuses to work or
"nags" you about the refill. Some Epsons even refuse to use the highest
print quality setting with a refill.

FWIW, I got so hacked off with inkjets that I bought several Xerox
Phaser 8200DP printers, each costing around £200. These use an ink-jet
type mechanism but the ink is a solid wax melted in the printer before
being sprayed via the print head. The mechanism is also unusual in that
the ink goes onto a drum before being pressed onto the paper. A sort of
hybrid of inkjet and laser technology.

The print quality is exceptional and the refill blocks relatively cheap,
although the headache is that you have to buy in bulk to get the best
saving. Still they work out at about £10 for the equivalent of 4 inkjet
cartridges in page coverage/volume of ink.

They are also PostScript, duplex printers with built in network print
servers. Very easy to install, configure and manage. The only bad point
is that you really shouldn't turn them off and they are not suitable for
people who only print something once a month or so.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Eusebius wrote:

Hi guys - what printers have you had good luck with? Just need a basic
inkjet with good quality black print, and easily re-fillable
cartridges so it doesn't cost the earth. Thanks for any
recommendations. Andy

If you only need black and white printing, buy a laser. Better quality,
faster, and much cheaper to run. Samsung do some nice entry level ones.

--
Cheers,

John.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message , Mike Barnes
writes
Just need a basic
inkjet with good quality black print, and easily re-fillable
cartridges so it doesn't cost the earth.

Oh, inkjet? I never come across one that was any good. Go for a laser.

The older Canons were by far the easiest to refill and you could also
unplug their print head and wash it under the tap.

I've got a Pixma ip4000 and have saved an absolute fortune on ink. It
also produces very good results with the bulk cheap glossy papers from
pound stores.

Laser is good though. You can also get toner refill kits where you
stick a hot apple corer through the cartridge to melt a swarf free hole,
then fill with toner via a funnel and put a sticker over the hole. I've
done that for my Laserjet 6L and the results were perfect.

--
Clive Mitchell
http://www.bigclive.com
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Fri, 13 Apr 2007 16:13:16 GMT, Clive Mitchell
wrote:

The older Canons were by far the easiest to refill and you could also
unplug their print head and wash it under the tap.

Any recipes for unblocking one? Mine has a serious case of block in
the main black. The price of new is daft.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

The older Canons were by far the easiest to refill and you could also
unplug their print head and wash it under the tap.

Any recipes for unblocking one? Mine has a serious case of block in
the main black. The price of new is daft.

They say soaking it in household ammonia overnight works. Cheap enough
to give it a try
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Eusebius" wrote in message
ups.com...
Hi guys - what printers have you had good luck with? Just need a basic
inkjet with good quality black print, and easily re-fillable
cartridges so it doesn't cost the earth. Thanks for any
recommendations. Andy

For monochrome work, laser printers, using remanufactured cartridges, can be
cheaper than an inkjet.

Colin Bignell

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"John Rumm" wrote in message
Eusebius wrote:

Hi guys - what printers have you had good luck with? Just need a basic
inkjet with good quality black print, and easily re-fillable
cartridges so it doesn't cost the earth. Thanks for any
recommendations. Andy

If you only need black and white printing, buy a laser. Better quality,
faster, and much cheaper to run. Samsung do some nice entry level ones.

for example:

http://www.inktecshop.co.uk/acatalog/Specials.html

Colin Bignell

Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

The older Canons were by far the easiest to refill and you could also
unplug their print head and wash it under the tap.

Any recipes for unblocking one? Mine has a serious case of block in
the main black. The price of new is daft.

They say soaking it in household ammonia overnight works. Cheap enough
to give it a try

A bottle is too hand!

Cheers. )
Posted to uk.d-i-y

nightjar nightjar@ wrote:

"John Rumm" wrote in message

If you only need black and white printing, buy a laser. Better quality,
faster, and much cheaper to run. Samsung do some nice entry level ones.

for example:

http://www.inktecshop.co.uk/acatalog/Specials.html

As an aside, the Canon Pixma 4200 listed on that page is actually a
reasonable choice for an inkjet =- nice results and very flexible media
handling (including CDs IIRC). The printhead assembly is replaceable
independently of the cartridges - so quite a good compromise against the
expensive head built into cartridge or blockage likely fixed print head
dilemma.

--
Cheers,

John.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message . com,
Eusebius writes
Hi guys - what printers have you had good luck with? Just need a basic
inkjet with good quality black print, and easily re-fillable
cartridges so it doesn't cost the earth. Thanks for any
recommendations. Andy

Well, I bought a Brother DCP 200C printer / scanner / copier for £45 +
VAT. Cartridges are a couple of quid (4 sep ones). Excellent IMO

--
geoff
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message , EricP
writes
wrote:

The older Canons were by far the easiest to refill and you could also
unplug their print head and wash it under the tap.

Any recipes for unblocking one? Mine has a serious case of block in
the main black. The price of new is daft.

ProPrint

http://www.proprint.co.uk/

do a "print head cleaner" fluid and a "dead head recovery fluid" for a
couple of quid.

BEWARE - Sunglasses required !

--
geoff
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Fri, 13 Apr 2007 20:49:14 GMT, raden wrote:

In message , EricP
writes
wrote:

The older Canons were by far the easiest to refill and you could also
unplug their print head and wash it under the tap.

Any recipes for unblocking one? Mine has a serious case of block in
the main black. The price of new is daft.

ProPrint

http://www.proprint.co.uk/

do a "print head cleaner" fluid and a "dead head recovery fluid" for a
couple of quid.

BEWARE - Sunglasses required !

Thanks for the warning.

And many thanks for the link. )
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message , EricP
writes
The older Canons were by far the easiest to refill and you could also
unplug their print head and wash it under the tap.

Any recipes for unblocking one? Mine has a serious case of block in the
main black. The price of new is daft.

Have you actually tried removing the ink cartridges, flipping the latch
up, lifting the print head out and dousing it liberally with water at
the sink?

--
Clive Mitchell
http://www.bigclive.com
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Fri, 13 Apr 2007 23:53:02 GMT, Clive Mitchell
wrote:

In message , EricP
writes
The older Canons were by far the easiest to refill and you could also
unplug their print head and wash it under the tap.

Any recipes for unblocking one? Mine has a serious case of block in the
main black. The price of new is daft.

Have you actually tried removing the ink cartridges, flipping the latch
up, lifting the print head out and dousing it liberally with water at
the sink?

Yes.