Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Default Computer/printer problem, please help !!

Ok, I know this is an old computer but it has been upgraded not long
ago and I use it for very basic stuff like reading discs only. It comes
on and seems to work just fine but the problem I'm having with it is: I
can't get it to work with my printer to print.

Computer: HP Pavilion (has been upgraded with intel chip)
Operating System: Windows 98
Printer: Lexmark Z600

I installed the driver several times so that's not the problem. When I
try to print, I always get a message that printer is not connected to
the correct port...or something like that. The printer's literature
says it must be connected via a USB cable. It is connected just fine
and I have two USB ports on the back of my computer. I tried them both.
When I go into my Device Manager to see to which port the printer is
set to print, I can only find ports COM1 and LPT1. I do not see the USB
port option listed there so I can't choose it and that's where my
problem is - I think. Why isn't the computer seeing my two USB ports ?
What can I do to fix this problem ? I hate to throw away this thing as
it is working just fine otherwise and I use it very little. Thank you
so much for any help.

Posted to sci.electronics.repair
JR JR is offline

moonlite wrote:
[...]

i have seen this before...did you have the printer plugged into your
usb port when you installed driver...if so that is more than likely the
problem...remove drivers, unplug usb cable..then re-install drivers and
then plug in usb cable

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

JR wrote:
moonlite wrote:
[...]

Hi...

One more thought.... is USB support enabled in bios?

Take care.

Ken

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

When you look in to the device manager, do you see the USB ports. If not,
check to see if your version of Win98 requires USB drivers.

If your computer is very old, and you installed a USB board, and you are
using Win98 second addition, it is possible that the BIOS or mother board
cannot see the USB ports. During the installation, Win98 second addition
installs the USB drivers by default if the USB ports are present, and the
mother board can see them.

--

JANA
_____

"moonlite" wrote in message
ups.com...
[...]

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

moonlite ha escrito:
[...]

Besides the good advice given by other posters, you can try with
another USB cable if nothing else works. Also, it would be a very good
idea to try the printer in another computer.

Remember that any USB device should have it´s drivers installed
*before* connecting it to the PC. Otherwise, the instalation can fail.

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

JR North wrote:
In addition to the other suggestions, if the USB port are V1.0, and the
printer/drivers req USB V2.0, They won't work properly.

Computer: HP Pavilion (has been upgraded with intel chip)
Operating System: Windows 98
Printer: Lexmark Z600

Windows 98 NEVER supported USB 2.0 and without special patches does not
support at all USB. IMHO if you must run Windows 98, upgrade to the second
edition (Windows 98/SE) or Windows ME.

Officialy the first version of Windows that supported USB 2 was
Windows XP at the SP/2 (service pack 2) level. There were third party
drivers for their USB ports for Windows 2000, and XP, but it would be
an exaguration to say they worked.

Geoff.
IL Voice: (07)-7424-1667 Fax ONLY: 972-2-648-1443 U.S. Voice: 1-215-821-1838
Visit my 'blog at
http://geoffstechno.livejournal.com/
Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Geoffrey S. Mendelson ha escrito:
JR North wrote:
In addition to the other suggestions, if the USB port are V1.0, and the
printer/drivers req USB V2.0, They won't work properly.

Computer: HP Pavilion (has been upgraded with intel chip)
Operating System: Windows 98
Printer: Lexmark Z600

Windows 98 NEVER supported USB 2.0 and without special patches does not
support at all USB. IMHO if you must run Windows 98, upgrade to the second
edition (Windows 98/SE) or Windows ME.

Officialy the first version of Windows that supported USB 2 was
Windows XP at the SP/2 (service pack 2) level. There were third party
drivers for their USB ports for Windows 2000, and XP, but it would be
an exaguration to say they worked.

Geoff.
--

Besides that, most USB 2.0 devices work fine when plugged into USB 1.0
ports. They can be a tad slow, but they work.

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

On 20 Jan 2007 15:08:40 -0800, "moonlite" put
finger to keyboard and composed:

[...]

There is a utility on your Win98 CD called "usbview.exe". IIRC,
usbview will see any USB hardware even if the drivers are not loaded.

- Franc Zabkar

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

if you are using plain 98 then find se and update...you want se

then install this bundled updater...
http://exuberant.ms11.net/98sesp.html

there is a usb update for plain 98...but you want se

you have to see the usb ports in the device manager

oh yes, your whole problem might just be that the motherboard chipset
drivers are not installed...from intel or via or sis etc....
Posted to sci.electronics.repair

I originally had USB 1.0 on my ME 'puter. MB ports. The Visioneer USB
scanner I bought later would not work on this machine, although other
USB items (IErinter)I was using at the time did. No error dialog, just
no comm. Drove me nuts. I got a USB 2.0 card, installed it, re-installed
the scanner, and the scanner worked perfectly with this setup. My .02
JR

Geoffrey S. Mendelson wrote:
JR North wrote:

In addition to the other suggestions, if the USB port are V1.0, and the
printer/drivers req USB V2.0, They won't work properly.

Computer: HP Pavilion (has been upgraded with intel chip)
Operating System: Windows 98
Printer: Lexmark Z600

Windows 98 NEVER supported USB 2.0 and without special patches does not
support at all USB. IMHO if you must run Windows 98, upgrade to the second
edition (Windows 98/SE) or Windows ME.

Officialy the first version of Windows that supported USB 2 was
Windows XP at the SP/2 (service pack 2) level. There were third party
drivers for their USB ports for Windows 2000, and XP, but it would be
an exaguration to say they worked.

Geoff.

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

"JR North" wrote in message
.. .
I originally had USB 1.0 on my ME 'puter. MB ports. The Visioneer USB
scanner I bought later would not work on this machine, although other USB
items (IErinter)I was using at the time did. No error dialog, just no
comm. Drove me nuts. I got a USB 2.0 card, installed it, re-installed the
scanner, and the scanner worked perfectly with this setup. My .02

You can also try the compatibility wizard with WinXP.

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Windows 98 doesn't necessarily support USB, You will need Windows 98 SE at
the least, then the next problem will be USB 1.0 Vs USB 2.0 compatibility
and correct drivers.

"Homer J Simpson" wrote in message

"JR North" wrote in message
.. .
I originally had USB 1.0 on my ME 'puter. MB ports. The Visioneer USB
scanner I bought later would not work on this machine, although other USB
items (IErinter)I was using at the time did. No error dialog, just no
comm. Drove me nuts. I got a USB 2.0 card, installed it, re-installed the
scanner, and the scanner worked perfectly with this setup. My .02

You can also try the compatibility wizard with WinXP.

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

I have a Compaq that came with Win95 that had USB support. OSR2 IIRC. It was
only available from OEM. Anyway the original version of Win 98 supported
USB.

"MarkL" wrote in message
Windows 98 doesn't necessarily support USB, You will need Windows 98 SE at
the least, then the next problem will be USB 1.0 Vs USB 2.0 compatibility
and correct drivers.

"Homer J Simpson" wrote in message

"JR North" wrote in message
.. .
I originally had USB 1.0 on my ME 'puter. MB ports. The Visioneer USB
scanner I bought later would not work on this machine, although other

USB
items (IErinter)I was using at the time did. No error dialog, just no
comm. Drove me nuts. I got a USB 2.0 card, installed it, re-installed

the
scanner, and the scanner worked perfectly with this setup. My .02

You can also try the compatibility wizard with WinXP.

Problem with Canon Pixma ip4000 printer [email protected] Electronics Repair 37 April 19th 06 03:52 PM
computer problem SteveB Home Repair 8 November 14th 05 04:12 PM
Computer problem reggie Electronics Repair 17 August 27th 05 11:39 PM
Way OT - Computer problem... [email protected] Metalworking 8 July 19th 05 01:34 PM
HP 6L laser printer problem kofi Mpengya Electronics Repair 1 October 5th 04 05:05 AM