Posted to sci.electronics.repair
JR North JR North is offline

Default Computer/printer problem, please help !!

I originally had USB 1.0 on my ME 'puter. MB ports. The Visioneer USB
scanner I bought later would not work on this machine, although other
USB items (IErinter)I was using at the time did. No error dialog, just
no comm. Drove me nuts. I got a USB 2.0 card, installed it, re-installed
the scanner, and the scanner worked perfectly with this setup. My .02
JR

Geoffrey S. Mendelson wrote:
JR North wrote:

In addition to the other suggestions, if the USB port are V1.0, and the
printer/drivers req USB V2.0, They won't work properly.

Computer: HP Pavilion (has been upgraded with intel chip)
Operating System: Windows 98
Printer: Lexmark Z600

Windows 98 NEVER supported USB 2.0 and without special patches does not
support at all USB. IMHO if you must run Windows 98, upgrade to the second
edition (Windows 98/SE) or Windows ME.

Officialy the first version of Windows that supported USB 2 was
Windows XP at the SP/2 (service pack 2) level. There were third party
drivers for their USB ports for Windows 2000, and XP, but it would be
an exaguration to say they worked.

Geoff.