Posted to comp.periphs.printers,rec.photo.digital,sci.electronics.repair

Default Problem with Canon Pixma ip4000 printer

X-No-Archive

My Canon Pixma ip4000 printer: I haven't used it in months, and barely
used it all before then, but just 2 weeks after my warranty ran out it
has decided to stop working. When power is turned on, the printer head
refuses to snap-to the center; it behaves as if it's locked or a pulley
(rubber band?) isn't working. The power light flashes alternatively
orange and green (which, according to the manual indicates a possible
"repair shop" problem.)

Before I bring this to a shop and spend probably the amount I paid for
it brand-new, is there a way of fixing this oneself?

Shnaggletooth

Posted to comp.periphs.printers,rec.photo.digital,sci.electronics.repair
zakezuke

My Canon Pixma ip4000 printer: I haven't used it in months, and barely
used it all before then, but just 2 weeks after my warranty ran out it
has decided to stop working. When power is turned on, the printer head
refuses to snap-to the center; it behaves as if it's locked or a pulley
(rubber band?) isn't working. The power light flashes alternatively
orange and green (which, according to the manual indicates a possible
"repair shop" problem.)

Firstly how many times does it blink. If it's something like 7 times
than it's a waste tank full error.

Posted to comp.periphs.printers,rec.photo.digital,sci.electronics.repair

zakezuke wrote:
My Canon Pixma ip4000 printer: I haven't used it in months, and barely
used it all before then, but just 2 weeks after my warranty ran out it
has decided to stop working. When power is turned on, the printer head
refuses to snap-to the center; it behaves as if it's locked or a pulley
(rubber band?) isn't working. The power light flashes alternatively
orange and green (which, according to the manual indicates a possible
"repair shop" problem.)

Firstly how many times does it blink. If it's something like 7 times
than it's a waste tank full error.

It blinks orange-green-orange-green, etc.

Shnaggletooth

Posted to comp.periphs.printers,rec.photo.digital,sci.electronics.repair
zakezuke

Firstly how many times does it blink. If it's something like 7 times
than it's a waste tank full error.

It blinks orange-green-orange-green, etc.

http://knightcrawler.filefront.com/

Burried in there is the service manual, which does contain the blink
codes. But if it never stops, that's a "rom error". I've not even
met the rom or the system board personaly, but even if I have and I
could say it was socketed, I wouldn't know where to get the rom in file
form nor does the average person have a ROM burner.. with the exception
of their motherboard.

The blink codes are also listed on this site
http://www.dvdadvdr.com/forums/archi...c/48370-1.html

To double check you "could" try going into service mode via the
following procedure, with the USB cord disconnected in the unlikely
event there is an issue with the PC's usb.

------------------
I. Make sure the printer is off but is plugged in

II. Hold down [RESUME] (Triangle pointed down) and hold down [POWER]
and wait 5 seconds or so.

Release [RESUME] but Continue to hold [POWER]. Double click [RESUME].
then Release [POWER].

Press [RESUME], than [POWER]. This should cause the printer to print a
simple diagnostic that'll list it's ROM number and list CDR SENSOR=OK
in red for the last line.
Press [RESUME] twice then [POWER]] to print off the second diagnostic.
Press [POWER] by it self to exit service mode and return to being a
printer.

This should isolate whether the printer is not printing because it
doesn't want to, or isn't printing because something is wrong. Odds
are it's the logic board, or a connection to the logic board if you
can't get the sucker into service mode at all, or can get into service
mode and it won't print the diagnostics. If you can, odds are you have
a diaper full condition.

If you are curious about worst case scenero, you can ask about
"QM2-1548" the main logic board. How much it costs to replace, or how
much it costs to get. But odds are if you do have a failed logic board
that looking for a used ip4000 with a bum head, and using your head is
a viable solution. Or, buying another printer, cleaning up your print
head, and selling it on e-bay. I don't know if this is your problem,
but given the ip4000 sells for $100 to $150 on closeout sites, and a
new ip4200 runs about $80... if your printer is toast parting out and
buying a new is often most cost effective, and does someone a favor.

Posted to comp.periphs.printers,rec.photo.digital,sci.electronics.repair

I wasn't able to get it into Service mode. Thanks for the advice,
though. Looks like a brand-new printer -- but I think I'm going to
avoid Canon.

Shnaggletooth

Posted to comp.periphs.printers,rec.photo.digital,sci.electronics.repair
Paul Heslop

measekite wrote:

BEWARE OF THE ADVICE YOU GET ON THIS NG/. THERE ARE MANY HACKERS HERE
THAT THINK THEY KNOW. IF YOU CALL CANON TECH SUPPT THEY WILL AT LEAST
TELL YOU WHAT THE PROBLEM IS AND MAY GIVE YOU A CLUE ON HOW TO FIX IT.
IF IT IS JUST OUT OF WARRANTY SOMETIMES THEY WILL SEND YOU A REFURB
IFYOU USE CANON OEM INK.

Ignore this tosser
--
Paul (Take my hand, I'm standing right here)
Stop and Look
Posted to comp.periphs.printers,rec.photo.digital,sci.electronics.repair
zakezuke

Paul Heslop wrote:
measekite wrote:

if you call canon tech suppt they will at least tell you what the problem is and may give you a clue on how to fix it

Ignore this tosser

This is one of the rare cases where Measekite has valuable input.
Being the K-rad elite hacker d00d as he describes I often forget about
the fact that sometimes... sometimes... there are issues that are
covered well beyond the warranty. Who knows.

As far as telling what's wrong... I linked to the blink codes, support
wouldn't know anything more on that subject. Assuming endless
blinking, that's a ROM problem. Not that you should always assume the
blink codes are accurate, but that sugests the rom is fried, not
connected. Bad solder connection or a power surge, probally a power
surge. Loose wire is always possible.

But he's right, those filthy k-rad hacker d00ds like my self are the
least likely to consider calling technical support. It's worth a shot,
the worst they will do is tell you it's not covered.

Posted to comp.periphs.printers,rec.photo.digital,sci.electronics.repair
Paul Heslop

zakezuke wrote:

Paul Heslop wrote:
measekite wrote:

[...]

:O) I never thought I'd see the day.

--
Paul (Take my hand, I'm standing right here)
Stop and Look
http://www.geocities.com/dreamst8me/

Posted to comp.periphs.printers,rec.photo.digital,sci.electronics.repair
Frank

Paul Heslop wrote:
measekite wrote:

BEWARE OF THE ADVICE YOU GET ON THIS NG/. THERE ARE MANY HACKERS HERE
THAT THINK THEY KNOW. IF YOU CALL CANON TECH SUPPT THEY WILL AT LEAST
TELL YOU WHAT THE PROBLEM IS AND MAY GIVE YOU A CLUE ON HOW TO FIX IT.
IF IT IS JUST OUT OF WARRANTY SOMETIMES THEY WILL SEND YOU A REFURB
IFYOU USE CANON OEM INK.

Ignore this tosser

Yeah advice from that piece of **** moron idiot is worse than useless
cause it's a total waste of time to even read. I see that stupid asshole
is still doing his idiot routine of all cap crap!
Kill file the loser...PLEASE...we're all so over his mindless, useless
garbage.
Let the moron talk only to himself.
Frank
Posted to comp.periphs.printers,rec.photo.digital,sci.electronics.repair
Paul Heslop

Frank wrote:

Ignore this tosser

Yeah advice from that piece of **** moron idiot is worse than useless
cause it's a total waste of time to even read. I see that stupid asshole
is still doing his idiot routine of all cap crap!
Kill file the loser...PLEASE...we're all so over his mindless, useless
garbage.
Let the moron talk only to himself.
Frank

As was pointed out by someone else he actually makes a good point
somewhere in his drivel, but as he refuses to even pretend to act like
anyone else I completely missed it.

--
Paul (Take my hand, I'm standing right here)
Stop and Look
http://www.geocities.com/dreamst8me/
Posted to comp.periphs.printers,rec.photo.digital,sci.electronics.repair
zakezuke

:O) I never thought I'd see the day.

Measkekite offers the following useful advice

1. Kirkland Costco paper is cheap and pretty good
2. Call tech support - read the manual
3. Buying OEM is less trouble
4. Krylon uv-resistant clear acrylic spray or Aaron Bros spray to
water proof your prints.

All of these are true useful things to say, easy to miss in a flood of
450 messages per month.

Posted to comp.periphs.printers,rec.photo.digital,sci.electronics.repair

It will blink short blinks orange-green-orange-green a total of 12x
(ie. the orange blinks short blinks 12x). Then there will be a longer
green blink. Then another 12x alternating, and so on.

(I should have also mentioned: The printer is no longer hooked up to a
USB into my computer; I'm trying to get it into service mode and
diagnose it separated from my system.)

Shnaggletooth

Posted to comp.periphs.printers,rec.photo.digital,sci.electronics.repair

I called them right now. They're going to send me a replacement. I'm
surprised, because the warranty has expired by a couple of weeks.

Shnaggletooth

Posted to comp.periphs.printers,rec.photo.digital,sci.electronics.repair
zakezuke

I called them right now. They're going to send me a replacement. I'm
surprised, because the warranty has expired by a couple of weeks.
Shnaggletooth

But, as has been pointed out, some things should last longer than
guarantee time, such as cookers, televisions and three piece suites.
Your problem appears to be with the operating system of the printer
which are not replaceable by you and should last longer than the
consumable parts.

12 times is AP position error [6A00] never ending blinking is a rom
problem.
So it's complaining about either the sheet feeder or the logic board,
or a wire connection between the two units. I imagine sucking up
something into it would also result in this condition.

But canon shipped a replacement... cool. And given the nature of the
error it should be a new one, with new ink, and a new head. Bonus. I
wish mine would screwup that badly, but unfortunatly it's just too damn
reliable.

Posted to comp.periphs.printers,rec.photo.digital,sci.electronics.repair
Paul Heslop

zakezuke wrote:

[...]

Great. did they say if it would be a 4000 or a 4200?
--
Paul (Take my hand, I'm standing right here)
Stop and Look
http://www.geocities.com/dreamst8me/
Posted to comp.periphs.printers,rec.photo.digital,sci.electronics.repair

They said something about me having to take out the printing head of
the old one when the replacement arrives (I wasn't clear on exactly
what that meant, or maybe I misheard). That might mean they're shipping
a 4000 unit that doesn't have a head. But they'll be shipping it
Thurs., so I'll be able to relate the conclusion soon.

Shnaggletooth

Posted to comp.periphs.printers,rec.photo.digital,sci.electronics.repair
zakezuke

They said something about me having to take out the printing head of
the old one when the replacement arrives (I wasn't clear on exactly
what that meant, or maybe I misheard). That might mean they're shipping
a 4000 unit that doesn't have a head. But they'll be shipping it
Thurs., so I'll be able to relate the conclusion soon.

You should phone them back asap, and explain you can't remove your old
head.
This leads to a new printer with a new head and new ink, and unless you
take a hacksaw to your printer, you in all honesty can't remove the old
head.

The alternative is phoning them when you get the referbished version
and telling them you can't remove the old head, and waiting a couple of
days for a new one, but odds are you wouldn't get the free ink. This
is assuming they will honor the warranty, which it looks like they may.

Posted to comp.periphs.printers,rec.photo.digital,sci.electronics.repair

I told the service tech that I could move the printhead manually (it
just won't snap-to center on power-on as it's supposed to, and
therefore the printer won't work at all).

Shnaggletooth

Posted to comp.periphs.printers,rec.photo.digital,sci.electronics.repair

I think I will call them tomorrow. Hopefully they haven't shipped out
the new unit already.

Shnaggletooth

Posted to comp.periphs.printers,rec.photo.digital,sci.electronics.repair
Lionel

On Tue, 18 Apr 2006 19:02:54 -0400, Taliesyn
opined:

wrote:
They said something about me having to take out the printing head of
the old one when the replacement arrives (I wasn't clear on exactly
what that meant, or maybe I misheard). That might mean they're shipping
a 4000 unit that doesn't have a head. But they'll be shipping it
Thurs., so I'll be able to relate the conclusion soon.

Shnaggletooth

It's pretty well standard procedure that you keep your old printhead
when the problem doesn't seem to be printhead related.

But in your case you CANNOT remove the printhead because the printhead
assembly won't center.

On most Canon inkjets it's easy to do it manually, via either of two
methods:

(1) If the printhead moves at all when you turn it on, do so, then
unplug the power cord as soon as the the has moved out of the
'parking' position.

(2) Turn off the printer & *gently* drag the head over to the center.
Posted to comp.periphs.printers,rec.photo.digital,sci.electronics.repair
Taliesyn

wrote:

[...]

Thanks for the handy tips. I should print this out and store it should
mine ever go.

Welcome to the printer group. Nice to see any kind of Canon
representation here. HP's been served very nicely by Bob Headrick.

-Taliesyn
Posted to comp.periphs.printers,rec.photo.digital,sci.electronics.repair
Tony

Lionel wrote:
On 17 Apr 2006 08:49:32 -0700, opined:

X-No-Archive

My Canon Pixma ip4000 printer: I haven't used it in months, and barely
used it all before then, but just 2 weeks after my warranty ran out it
has decided to stop working. When power is turned on, the printer head
refuses to snap-to the center; it behaves as if it's locked or a pulley
(rubber band?) isn't working. The power light flashes alternatively
orange and green (which, according to the manual indicates a possible
"repair shop" problem.)

I'm a former Canon service center tech, & my advice is to call Canon
ASAP, explain the problem the way you've described it here, & ask
them nicely if they will cover it under warranty anyway.
Under the kind of circumstances you're describing, Canon are often
willing to stretch their warranty period a little.

That is exactly my experience, on one occasion they replaced a printer 3 1/2
months out of original warranty. The customer had reported a fault one month
before warranty expired, the printer was replaced promptly and it failed with a
different problem one week after the warranty on the replacement printer ended.
HP are just as good in my experience.
Tony
Posted to comp.periphs.printers,rec.photo.digital,sci.electronics.repair
Lionel

On Tue, 18 Apr 2006 22:45:04 -0400, Taliesyn
opined:

Lionel wrote:

[retrieving stubborn printhead carriages]
(2) Turn off the printer & *gently* drag the head over to the center.

And I forgot another good method:
(3) If the model is one of the ones where the carriage parking
position is completely inaccessible (usually to the extreme right),
you can often extract it by pulling the toothed rubber/cloth carriage
belt to the left. (Watch out for the inevitable stray ink &/or white
grease in the area!)

Thanks for the handy tips. I should print this out and store it should
mine ever go.

Welcome to the printer group.

Well, I'm reading this from RPD, where I've been a reg for a few years
now, but we often see printer-related questions here.

Nice to see any kind of Canon
representation here. HP's been served very nicely by Bob Headrick.

Thanks for the kind words, Taliesyn, they're much appreciated.

Do please bear in mind that I'm very much an *ex* Canon tech though,
as I haven't serviced any Canon printers in a professional capacity
since about '99, (when I finally finished switching over to the
networking side of the IT industry), so I have had no 'official'
connection with Canon, (other than as a mostly-happy customer) since
that time, & don't claim to speak for Canon in any 'official'
capacity.
That said, I worked for Canon (Business Equipment Service, Australia)
for several years, then went on to work in, then manage
Canon-authorised service centres for another 6 years or so, so I'm
pretty familiar with their equipment, their service policies, &
service procedures.

Posted to comp.periphs.printers,rec.photo.digital,sci.electronics.repair
Lionel

On Wed, 19 Apr 2006 00:19:53 -0500, Tony
opined:

That is exactly my experience, on one occasion they replaced a printer 3 1/2
months out of original warranty. The customer had reported a fault one month
before warranty expired, the printer was replaced promptly and it failed with a
different problem one week after the warranty on the replacement printer ended.
HP are just as good in my experience.
Tony

Good point, Tony. Canon will nearly always (totally unofficially)
'reset' the warranty period on a fault originally repaired within the
'official' warranty period.
For example, the old BJC-600 had a couple of nasty design faults that,
at some sites, resulted in recurring printhead (ie; expensive!) errors
through no fault of the users, for several years after the original
purchase, but Canon kept on fixing the printers for free until they
finally came up with a permanent fix for the design fault.

The lesson here for Canon users who run into a fault shortly before or
after the original warranty period is to *get straight on the phone*
to Canon, ASAP! Because Canon *wants* to keep you happy, & will
usually cut you some slack if they think it'll turn bad word-of-mouth
into good word-of-mouth.
(And in the printer market segment, there's another good reason for
this attitude, which is that they make way more profit from the
consumables than they do from the original sale, so they don't mind
eating a repair bill to keep you from switching to the competition.)
Posted to comp.periphs.printers,rec.photo.digital,sci.electronics.repair
Lionel

On 19 Apr 2006 06:53:28 -0700, "zakezuke"
opined:

I told the service tech that I could move the printhead manually (it
just won't snap-to center on power-on as it's supposed to, and
therefore the printer won't work at all).

You are a resourceful honest person, you don't get a printhead and free
ink.

Perhaps not, but he (?) /does/ get Karma points, self-reliance points,
& the respect of one or two Canon Service staff, none of which are
things to be sneezed at.
Posted to comp.periphs.printers,rec.photo.digital,sci.electronics.repair
zakezuke

Perhaps not, but he (?) /does/ get Karma points, self-reliance points,
& the respect of one or two Canon Service staff, none of which are
things to be sneezed at.

Well, karma is nothing to sneeze at... it's just sad when you solve a
problem your self it means no free ink or replacement printhead. If I
was still running my epson r200 during it's warranty period, I would be
thankful if it broke, as that means good karma and free ink.

But I would also agree from my limited experence getting on their good
side and doing "some" troubleshooting does by-pass much of the
checklist and saves time. Though I kick my self for telling them "oh
no, the print head moves around, you told me to unplug it, so it's not
moving" "Well you don't get a new printer with ink" "damn it".