Posted to sci.electronics.repair
JR North JR North is offline

Default Computer/printer problem, please help !!

In addition to the other suggestions, if the USB port are V1.0, and the
printer/drivers req USB V2.0, They won't work properly.
JR
moonlite wrote:

Ok, I know this is an old computer but it has been upgraded not long
ago and I use it for very basic stuff like reading discs only. It comes
on and seems to work just fine but the problem I'm having with it is: I
can't get it to work with my printer to print.

Computer: HP Pavilion (has been upgraded with intel chip)
Operating System: Windows 98
Printer: Lexmark Z600

I installed the driver several times so that's not the problem. When I
try to print, I always get a message that printer is not connected to
the correct port...or something like that. The printer's literature
says it must be connected via a USB cable. It is connected just fine
and I have two USB ports on the back of my computer. I tried them both.
When I go into my Device Manager to see to which port the printer is
set to print, I can only find ports COM1 and LPT1. I do not see the USB
port option listed there so I can't choose it and that's where my
problem is - I think. Why isn't the computer seeing my two USB ports ?
What can I do to fix this problem ? I hate to throw away this thing as
it is working just fine otherwise and I use it very little. Thank you
so much for any help.