Posted to sci.electronics.repair
JANA JANA is offline

Default Computer/printer problem, please help !!

When you look in to the device manager, do you see the USB ports. If not,
check to see if your version of Win98 requires USB drivers.

If your computer is very old, and you installed a USB board, and you are
using Win98 second addition, it is possible that the BIOS or mother board
cannot see the USB ports. During the installation, Win98 second addition
installs the USB drivers by default if the USB ports are present, and the
mother board can see them.

--

JANA
_____

"moonlite" wrote in message
ups.com...
Ok, I know this is an old computer but it has been upgraded not long
ago and I use it for very basic stuff like reading discs only. It comes
on and seems to work just fine but the problem I'm having with it is: I
can't get it to work with my printer to print.

Computer: HP Pavilion (has been upgraded with intel chip)
Operating System: Windows 98
Printer: Lexmark Z600

I installed the driver several times so that's not the problem. When I
try to print, I always get a message that printer is not connected to
the correct port...or something like that. The printer's literature
says it must be connected via a USB cable. It is connected just fine
and I have two USB ports on the back of my computer. I tried them both.
When I go into my Device Manager to see to which port the printer is
set to print, I can only find ports COM1 and LPT1. I do not see the USB
port option listed there so I can't choose it and that's where my
problem is - I think. Why isn't the computer seeing my two USB ports ?
What can I do to fix this problem ? I hate to throw away this thing as
it is working just fine otherwise and I use it very little. Thank you
so much for any help.