Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Small laser printer replacement - recommendations?

Hi all

I've had a Samsung ML-2010 B/W laser printer for about 10 years now and
it has served extremely well. I do little printing, though every few
weeks I do a "large" print of about 50 pages for when I do the pub quiz.

The Samsung getting a little bit crotchety these days, I'm wondering if
I should treat myself to a new one: does anyone have a recommendation?

The great things about the 2010 are that
(a) it generally works without fuss
(b) it's fast
(c) it's laser, so no arsing about with smudgy messy expensive ink
cartridges (I get enough of that with my Canon MP270, which I use for
the occasional colour print).

?
Cheers
John
Posted to uk.d-i-y
GB GB is offline

On 29/11/2017 12:55, Another John wrote:
Hi all

I've had a Samsung ML-2010 B/W laser printer for about 10 years now and
it has served extremely well. I do little printing, though every few
weeks I do a "large" print of about 50 pages for when I do the pub quiz.

The Samsung getting a little bit crotchety these days, I'm wondering if
I should treat myself to a new one: does anyone have a recommendation?

The great things about the 2010 are that
(a) it generally works without fuss
(b) it's fast
(c) it's laser, so no arsing about with smudgy messy expensive ink
cartridges (I get enough of that with my Canon MP270, which I use for
the occasional colour print).

?
Cheers
John

https://www.hotukdeals.com/deals/hp-...rom-hp-2843661

Printer costs £60.
There's a £5 off voucher.
11% Quidco.
So, the net cost is around £50.
HP are giving £50 cashback on this particular model of printer.
So, it's effectively free.

https://h41201.www4.hp.com/WMCF.Web/...13034/Details/

Treat yourself. Buy two! (The voucher only works once, so the second one
costs you £5.)
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Another John wrote:

I've had a Samsung ML-2010 B/W laser printer for about 10 years now and
it has served extremely well. I do little printing, though every few
weeks I do a "large" print of about 50 pages for when I do the pub quiz.

I do very little printing at home, so didn't want a big* laser that ate
half my desk space, I decided I could live without colour, so got a
Samsung M2026W. No hassle at all, light enough to live on the top shelf
and be easy to lift down when needed, wifi so only needs a kettle lead.

[*] actually I do have a colour/postscript/duplex/ethernet/multi-bin
monster that takes ages to warm up, but it's tucked away.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

GB wrote:

https://www.hotukdeals.com/deals/hp-...rom-hp-2843661

I did stand in PC World prodding various small lasers, and that one was
my second choice to the Samsung, the HP had an actual paper tray rather
than "slot" loading IIRC and larger toner, but it's a winprinter rather
than PCL.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 29/11/2017 12:55, Another John wrote:
Hi all

I've had a Samsung ML-2010 B/W laser printer for about 10 years now and
it has served extremely well. I do little printing, though every few
weeks I do a "large" print of about 50 pages for when I do the pub quiz.

The Samsung getting a little bit crotchety these days, I'm wondering if
I should treat myself to a new one: does anyone have a recommendation?

The great things about the 2010 are that
(a) it generally works without fuss
(b) it's fast
(c) it's laser, so no arsing about with smudgy messy expensive ink
cartridges (I get enough of that with my Canon MP270, which I use for
the occasional colour print).

I just had to replace my aging Laserjet 2200dn, and in the end went for
a Laserjet pro M402dne

I wanted duplex and network connection. Proper PCL and Postscript print
engine etc.

It seems to do the job very nicely - fast to warm up and print first
page (under 7 secs) 30+ ppm, and a proper paper tray. Was about 167
from ebuyer (although you have just reminded me there was a cashback
deal on it ;-)

--
Cheers,

John.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 29/11/17 12:55, Another John wrote:
Hi all

I've had a Samsung ML-2010 B/W laser printer for about 10 years now and
it has served extremely well. I do little printing, though every few
weeks I do a "large" print of about 50 pages for when I do the pub quiz.

The Samsung getting a little bit crotchety these days, I'm wondering if
I should treat myself to a new one: does anyone have a recommendation?

The great things about the 2010 are that
(a) it generally works without fuss
(b) it's fast
(c) it's laser, so no arsing about with smudgy messy expensive ink
cartridges (I get enough of that with my Canon MP270, which I use for
the occasional colour print).

?
Cheers
John

shame. I just threw an old B&W HP out.

I havee an HP252n color and it works OK. Juts installed its first NON HP
toner cartdridge.

NON HP CATRIDGE it said.

But the ****er works.

Its plug and play with linux, too.

--
Theres a mighty big difference between good, sound reasons and reasons
that sound good.

Burton Hillis (William Vaughn, American columnist)
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Yes my old hp is doing very well, and as long as you do not buy the toner
from hp, you will be quids in as every cart has effectively a new drum as
well, so its just a bit of a clean now and again really.
It seems to me most modern printers though are wireless with grotty screens
with menus, hence I'll hang on to my good old usb only bog standard switch
on and go for as long as I can.
Brian

--
----- -
The Sofa of Brian Gaff...

Blind user, so no pictures please!
"GB" wrote in message
news
[...]

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 29/11/2017 12:55, Another John wrote:
Hi all

I've had a Samsung ML-2010 B/W laser printer for about 10 years now and
it has served extremely well. I do little printing, though every few
weeks I do a "large" print of about 50 pages for when I do the pub quiz.

The Samsung getting a little bit crotchety these days, I'm wondering if
I should treat myself to a new one: does anyone have a recommendation?

The great things about the 2010 are that
(a) it generally works without fuss
(b) it's fast
(c) it's laser, so no arsing about with smudgy messy expensive ink
cartridges (I get enough of that with my Canon MP270, which I use for
the occasional colour print).

?
Cheers
John

I don't know if you'd call it small, but I've been very happy with a
"refurbished" HP1320n bought for not very much a couple of years ago - I
assume they're still available. Toner cart from StinkyInk or similar
costs less than £30 (I think) and lasts ages.
I connected it to a wireless bridge (from TP-link) that talks to the
router so everyone in the house can use it.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

replying to Another John, Iggy wrote:
From a U.S. perspective. The Brother brand has done perfectly well for me for
over 20-years. And the leaders that most people find solid in everyway for
Lasers are Brother, HP, Canon, in that order. I've never had a problem with
Dell, Lexmark or Samsung and they're also very popular. Epson though, I've
only experienced in Ink and everything's horrible. The keypads don't function
well, the manual's terrible and the Ink is tiny and gets overly wasted in the
trap. I wouldn't buy a Laser from Epson.

--
for full context, visit https://www.homeownershub.com/uk-diy...s-1253298-.htm

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article , Iggy
m wrote:
replying to Another John, Iggy wrote: From a U.S. perspective. The
Brother brand has done perfectly well for me for over 20-years. And the
leaders that most people find solid in everyway for Lasers are Brother,
HP, Canon, in that order. I've never had a problem with Dell, Lexmark or
Samsung and they're also very popular. Epson though, I've only
experienced in Ink and everything's horrible. The keypads don't function
well, the manual's terrible and the Ink is tiny and gets overly wasted in
the trap. I wouldn't buy a Laser from Epson.

I believe they have stopped making them, wanting everybody to go over to
inkjet.

--
from KT24 in Surrey, England

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Brian Gaff" wrote in message
news
Yes my old hp is doing very well, and as long as you do not buy the toner
from hp, you will be quids in as every cart has effectively a new drum as
well, so its just a bit of a clean now and again really.
It seems to me most modern printers though are wireless with grotty
screens with menus, hence I'll hang on to my good old usb only bog
standard switch on and go for as long as I can.

Why do you print anything at all given you can't see it ?

"GB" wrote in message
news
[...]

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article , Huge
On 2017-11-29, charles wrote:
In article , Iggy
om wrote:
replying to Another John, Iggy wrote: From a U.S. perspective. The
Brother brand has done perfectly well for me for over 20-years. And
the leaders that most people find solid in everyway for Lasers are
Brother, HP, Canon, in that order. I've never had a problem with Dell,
Lexmark or Samsung and they're also very popular. Epson though, I've
only experienced in Ink and everything's horrible. The keypads don't
function well, the manual's terrible and the Ink is tiny and gets
overly wasted in the trap. I wouldn't buy a Laser from Epson.

I believe they have stopped making them, wanting everybody to go over
to inkjet.

God alone knows why.

according to Epson they are faster and cheaper to buy and to run with ink
tanks rather thena tiny cartridges.

--
from KT24 in Surrey, England
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article , Huge
On 2017-11-29, charles wrote:
In article , Iggy
m wrote:
replying to Another John, Iggy wrote: From a U.S. perspective. The
Brother brand has done perfectly well for me for over 20-years. And
the leaders that most people find solid in everyway for Lasers are
Brother, HP, Canon, in that order. I've never had a problem with Dell,
Lexmark or Samsung and they're also very popular. Epson though, I've
only experienced in Ink and everything's horrible. The keypads don't
function well, the manual's terrible and the Ink is tiny and gets
overly wasted in the trap. I wouldn't buy a Laser from Epson.

I believe they have stopped making them, wanting everybody to go over
to inkjet.

God alone knows why.

according to Epson they are faster and cheaper to buy and to run with ink
tanks rather thena tiny cartridges.

The trouble with inkjet is that if you don't use them for a couple of
weeks (such as being away on holiday), they dry out and clog the
nozzles. When you want to print, you spend ages with IPA, followed by
numerous head-clean cycles wasting loads of ink. Much of the time, you
can't shift the clog and have to buy a vastly overpriced, new cartridge
with integral head or with non-integral heads, scrap the printer. Lasers
sit there 'til they are needed and just work.

Our current printer is a Samsung CLP-680ND networked, colour laser with
duplexing. A bit overkill for home use, but it was cheap (£100 new and
boxed) and despite the toners having officially run-out, the override
has kept it running for another 14 months so far! That's in a houshold
with three kids wasting paper and toner all the time. I can only presume
that the "Change Toner" alarm point is calibrated for very high page per
week office settings, where running out and not having replacements can
be costly.

SteveW
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Wed, 29 Nov 2017 18:42:46 +0000, bin wrote:

I don't know if you'd call it small, but I've been very happy with a
"refurbished" HP1320n bought for not very much a couple of years ago - I
assume they're still available. Toner cart from StinkyInk or similar
costs less than £30 (I think) and lasts ages.
I connected it to a wireless bridge (from TP-link) that talks to the
router so everyone in the house can use it.

I still use a 24 year old LaserJet 4M+ for most work.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article , Huge
On 2017-11-29, charles wrote:
In article , Iggy
m wrote:
replying to Another John, Iggy wrote: From a U.S. perspective. The
Brother brand has done perfectly well for me for over 20-years. And
the leaders that most people find solid in everyway for Lasers are
Brother, HP, Canon, in that order. I've never had a problem with Dell,
Lexmark or Samsung and they're also very popular. Epson though, I've
only experienced in Ink and everything's horrible. The keypads don't
function well, the manual's terrible and the Ink is tiny and gets
overly wasted in the trap. I wouldn't buy a Laser from Epson.

I believe they have stopped making them, wanting everybody to go over
to inkjet.

God alone knows why.

according to Epson they are faster and cheaper to buy and to run with ink
tanks rather thena tiny cartridges.

Inkjets are **** and I won't have one in the house.

While not ideal as general purpose printers, its hard to touch them if
you want to do high end photo prints.

(although Dye Sub is probably better, it never really caught on for the
consumer market).

--
Cheers,

John.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 29/11/17 21:35, Huge wrote:

Inkjets are **** and I won't have one in the house.

Nor me. I've had a run of secondhand lasers for the last 20 years or so,
and finally had to buy a new printer this year (as no-one I knew was
chucking a decent mono laser away). A Dell E310W, which suits my needs
just fine. I don't print photos and print rarely. It just worked with
Windows & Linux.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

replying to charles, Iggy wrote:
That's good news! The less Epson the better, as far as I'm concerned. I'm
never trying Ink again, absolutely horrible and wasteful compared to toner.

--
for full context, visit https://www.homeownershub.com/uk-diy...s-1253298-.htm

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Bob Eager" wrote in message
On Wed, 29 Nov 2017 18:42:46 +0000, bin wrote:

I don't know if you'd call it small, but I've been very happy with a
"refurbished" HP1320n bought for not very much a couple of years ago - I
assume they're still available. Toner cart from StinkyInk or similar
costs less than £30 (I think) and lasts ages.
I connected it to a wireless bridge (from TP-link) that talks to the
router so everyone in the house can use it.

I still use a 24 year old LaserJet 4M+ for most work.

I'd have you publicly flogged for elder abuse if
you hadn't so obviously enjoyed that the last time.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 30 Nov 2017 09:03:36 GMT, Huge wrote:

can't shift the clog and have to buy a vastly overpriced, new cartridge
with integral head or with non-integral heads, scrap the printer.

s/weeks/days/

Hell, hours, sometimes. I've had three. They were all ****. I threw the
Epson out of my study window.

I'll raise you a Porthole into Southampton Docks, no chance to pour
over the remains thinking " Maybe I shouldn't have done that".

G.Harman
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 2017-11-29, John Rumm wrote:

While not ideal as general purpose printers, its hard to touch them if
you want to do high end photo prints.

In which case I go somewhere with an appropriate printer. Unless you do
a *lot* of photo prints, it isn't worth the hassle.

Indeed. The local photo booth that used to project digilat colour
images onto photo paper now has a megebucks digital ptrintyer that does
amazing stuff that is way beyind my menas.

My inkjet that I skipped (A1 sized HP plotter) because no one wanted it
used to produce prints that fade in a couple of months of sunlight.

It's cheaper to take drawings round to the print shop these days.

--
Some people like to travel by train because it combines the slowness of
a car with the cramped public exposure of an airplane.

Dennis Miller

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 29/11/2017 12:55, Another John wrote:
The Samsung getting a little bit crotchety these days, I'm wondering if
I should treat myself to a new one: does anyone have a recommendation?

With all printers the manufacturers tend to sell them cheaply and then have a hefty mark-up on the consumables. Typically you can get third-party ink or toner for a third of the price of the or less of the official stuff. So the thing to research is whether 3rd party toner is available for the model you choose. I'm told that HP are getting much cleverer in their newer models so that you are forced to buy HP brand toner, but don't know if that's true for all brands.

--
Clive Page
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Clive Page wrote:
On 29/11/2017 12:55, Another John wrote:
The Samsung getting a little bit crotchety these days, I'm wondering if
I should treat myself to a new one: does anyone have a recommendation?

With all printers the manufacturers tend to sell them cheaply and then
have a hefty mark-up on the consumables. Typically you can get
third-party ink or toner for a third of the price of the or less of the
official stuff. So the thing to research is whether 3rd party toner is
available for the model you choose. I'm told that HP are getting much
cleverer in their newer models so that you are forced to buy HP brand
toner, but don't know if that's true for all brands.

IME with Brother, only their toner works properly.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 30 Nov 2017 09:38:30 GMT
Huge wrote:

Good man. I found it very satisfying. I bought a LJ5M on eBay for
£35 about 7 years ago and it's been fine ever since, although
it can be very slow. It's not unknown for it to take 15 minutes
to render a page. But it Just Works.

Heh, I got a Brother HL1430 (similar spec to the LJ5M) from Freegle, a
drum and a couple of cartridges for twenty quid on eBay. It's hard to
believe the hassle we used to put up with from previous inkjets
(although the mono HP I was given was a lot less bad than the several
Epsons we had).

Posted to uk.d-i-y

I havee an HP252n color and it works OK

That's what I went for too. The built-in wireless is handy - it sits in
a corner nowhere near any computer or network.

Andy
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Wednesday, 29 November 2017 19:14:07 UTC, Iggy wrote:

From a U.S. perspective. The Brother brand has done perfectly well for me for
over 20-years. And the leaders that most people find solid in everyway for
Lasers are Brother, HP, Canon, in that order. I've never had a problem with
Dell, Lexmark or Samsung and they're also very popular. Epson though, I've
only experienced in Ink and everything's horrible. The keypads don't function
well, the manual's terrible and the Ink is tiny and gets overly wasted in the
trap. I wouldn't buy a Laser from Epson.

Have 4 HPs of various ages, been very good. Only the ancient one is less than reliable now. The one thing I don't like about the smaller ones is the UI, it's anything but clear.

Brother, had one, wouldn't get another. The drum was not part of the print cart and effectively not replaceable.

Lexmark corporate type machine was very impressed with. Print quality absolutely flawless every time, no reliability problems. Only downside was the carts were chipped & overpriced, so refilled them before they emptied. You get what you pay for I suppose, they're over 1k so not for home use.

DIY refilling laser carts is easy enough. The key word is cleanliness, any bit of fluff can ruin the print quality. I'd stay away from anything that took chipped carts, unless prepared to pay a significant premium for a top quality machine like the Lexmark.

NT

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article , Huge
On 2017-11-29, charles wrote:
In article , Iggy
om wrote:
replying to Another John, Iggy wrote: From a U.S. perspective. The
Brother brand has done perfectly well for me for over 20-years. And
the leaders that most people find solid in everyway for Lasers are
Brother, HP, Canon, in that order. I've never had a problem with Dell,
Lexmark or Samsung and they're also very popular. Epson though, I've
only experienced in Ink and everything's horrible. The keypads don't
function well, the manual's terrible and the Ink is tiny and gets
overly wasted in the trap. I wouldn't buy a Laser from Epson.

I believe they have stopped making them, wanting everybody to go over
to inkjet.

God alone knows why.

according to Epson they are faster and cheaper to buy and to run with ink
tanks rather thena tiny cartridges.

sales bullsht. I wouldn't touch an inkjet today. Slow, short lived, unreliable compared to lasers.

NT
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Thursday, 30 November 2017 18:13:25 UTC, Rob Morley wrote:

Heh, I got a Brother HL1430 (similar spec to the LJ5M) from Freegle, a
drum and a couple of cartridges for twenty quid on eBay. It's hard to
believe the hassle we used to put up with from previous inkjets
(although the mono HP I was given was a lot less bad than the several
Epsons we had).

The first inkjet I ever had was trouble from the start. It had a 1 pixel printhead that whizzed back & forth very fast, and took grey-black powder, probably carbon. First thing it did was fry the computer it plugged in to. I should have learnt then.

NT
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 30/11/17 23:19, Tim Streater wrote:
In article , Vir Campestris

I havee an HP252n color and it works OK

That's what I went for too. The built-in wireless is handy - it sits
in a corner nowhere near any computer or network.

Duplex?

Nope.

Josef Stalin
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 30/11/17 23:19, Tim Streater wrote:
In article , Vir Campestris

I havee an HP252n color and it works OK

That's what I went for too. The built-in wireless is handy - it sits
in a corner nowhere near any computer or network.

Duplex?

Nope.

Huh? Mine has.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B00TON9YK6

Oh. Missed. Mine is a M252dw.

Andy
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 01/12/17 21:47, Vir Campestris wrote:
On 30/11/17 23:19, Tim Streater wrote:
In article , Vir Campestris

I havee an HP252n color and it works OK

That's what I went for too. The built-in wireless is handy - it sits
in a corner nowhere near any computer or network.

Duplex?

Nope.

Huh? Mine has.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B00TON9YK6

Oh. Missed. Mine is a M252dw.

Andy

yep. its a costed optional extra IIRC as well.

--
Some people like to travel by train because it combines the slowness of
a car with the cramped public exposure of an airplane.

Dennis Miller

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 01/12/17 21:47, Vir Campestris wrote:
On 30/11/17 23:19, Tim Streater wrote:
In article , Vir Campestris

I havee an HP252n color and it works OK

That's what I went for too. The built-in wireless is handy - it
sits in a corner nowhere near any computer or network.

Duplex?

Nope.

Huh? Mine has.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B00TON9YK6

Oh. Missed. Mine is a M252dw.

Andy

yep. its a costed optional extra* IIRC as well.

Not on that model. It's standard.

Andy

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Clive Page grunted in
:

With all printers the manufacturers tend to sell them cheaply and then
have a hefty mark-up on the consumables. Typically you can get
third-party ink or toner for a third of the price of the or less of
the official stuff. So the thing to research is whether 3rd party
toner is available for the model you choose. I'm told that HP are
getting much cleverer in their newer models so that you are forced to
buy HP brand toner, but don't know if that's true for all brands.

Thread hijack alert...

I'm just about to buy a new laser printer myself; although the vast
majority of my needs are for monochrome print, I'm quite tempted to get a
colour machine just for the occasional convenience. I'm interested in the
HP Color LaserJet Pro M254dw (https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B075GG7LZX),
which is 114 after HP's cashback deal. I'm well aware of the toner cost
issue, especially with colour, but at least this model includes 700-pages-
worth (allegedly!) of colour toner, which would last me a very long time!

So can anyone confirm whether this model will definitely work with 3rd-
party toner carts?

Secondly, if I were to run this printer until the bundled colour carts ran
out, and never bothered replacing them, does anyone know if the printer
would keep working in black-and-white? Or would it give up until the
colour carts were replaced?

Thanks
David

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Lobster wrote:

So can anyone confirm whether this model will definitely work with 3rd-
party toner carts?

I presume that the amazon seller "technology geeks" wouldn't sell a
bundle of the printer plus 3rd party toners if it didn't ...

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 04/01/18 18:35, Lobster wrote:
Clive Page grunted in
:

[...]

My m252n, works, but bitches about 'non standard cartdridges' . Later
ones MAY simply refuse to accpet them.

I biought compatibles from here..
#
https://www.cartridgesave.co.uk/tone...ro-M254dw.html

Note that they do not sell 'compatibles' for the 254 only more, or less
full, genuene HP ones *AT THE MOMENT*.

That strongly suggest that some cunning slasnt is bus reverse
engineering HP genuine carteidges in order to offer compatible toners at
a sane price.

I still had to pay about 30 quid a cartridge for the compatibles IIRC

But tyhey are fuller than te ones that came with the printer.

Secondly, if I were to run this printer until the bundled colour carts ran
out, and never bothered replacing them, does anyone know if the printer
would keep working in black-and-white? Or would it give up until the
colour carts were replaced?

Pretty sure it will keep working

It bitches and moans but it keeps on printing. Eventually you get
stripes, then no colour at all.

Thanks
David

--
How fortunate for governments that the people they administer don't think.

Adolf Hitler

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Thu, 04 Jan 2018 18:35:14 +0000, Lobster wrote:

Secondly, if I were to run this printer until the bundled colour carts
ran out, and never bothered replacing them, does anyone know if the
printer would keep working in black-and-white? Or would it give up
until the colour carts were replaced?

I can only relate the story of a larger HP model (a 2600n, fairly old
now). I got it on Freecycle. It worked "sort of", but there was a magenta
cast over all the pages. Took me a while to work out that the magenta
cartridge needed changing (and, to a lesser extent, the other two colkour
ones).

Further investigation showed that the printer had doen about 4000 pages
in its life. The black toner had been replaced once (with a third party
toner that it occasionally bitched about). The colour toners were
completely empty.

In common with a lot of HP printers, the toner cartridges include the
drum and the toner waste container. The waste container on the magenta
cartridge was overflowing.

Not sure if that's still the case.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Andy Burns grunted in news:fb7bvvFkhdfU1
@mid.individual.net:

Lobster wrote:

So can anyone confirm whether this model will definitely work with 3rd-
party toner carts?

I presume that the amazon seller "technology geeks" wouldn't sell a
bundle of the printer plus 3rd party toners if it didn't ...

Well spotted!
I went ahead and ordered one, so will see how it turns out...
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Lobster wrote:

So can anyone confirm whether this model will definitely work with 3rd-
party toner carts?

I presume that the amazon seller "technology geeks" wouldn't sell a
bundle of the printer plus 3rd party toners if it didn't ...

Well spotted!
I went ahead and ordered one, so will see how it turns out...

Actually feed back to the group on what 3rd party toners do work with
what lasers would be damned helpful.