Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Small laser printer replacement - recommendations?

In article , Huge
On 2017-11-29, charles wrote:
In article , Iggy
m wrote:
replying to Another John, Iggy wrote: From a U.S. perspective. The
Brother brand has done perfectly well for me for over 20-years. And
the leaders that most people find solid in everyway for Lasers are
Brother, HP, Canon, in that order. I've never had a problem with Dell,
Lexmark or Samsung and they're also very popular. Epson though, I've
only experienced in Ink and everything's horrible. The keypads don't
function well, the manual's terrible and the Ink is tiny and gets
overly wasted in the trap. I wouldn't buy a Laser from Epson.

I believe they have stopped making them, wanting everybody to go over
to inkjet.

God alone knows why.

according to Epson they are faster and cheaper to buy and to run with ink
tanks rather thena tiny cartridges.

The trouble with inkjet is that if you don't use them for a couple of
weeks (such as being away on holiday), they dry out and clog the
nozzles. When you want to print, you spend ages with IPA, followed by
numerous head-clean cycles wasting loads of ink. Much of the time, you
can't shift the clog and have to buy a vastly overpriced, new cartridge
with integral head or with non-integral heads, scrap the printer. Lasers
sit there 'til they are needed and just work.

Our current printer is a Samsung CLP-680ND networked, colour laser with
duplexing. A bit overkill for home use, but it was cheap (£100 new and
boxed) and despite the toners having officially run-out, the override
has kept it running for another 14 months so far! That's in a houshold
with three kids wasting paper and toner all the time. I can only presume
that the "Change Toner" alarm point is calibrated for very high page per
week office settings, where running out and not having replacements can
be costly.

SteveW