Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default fan belt

Just realised the serpentine belt on one of my cars has covered 110.000
miles... is this normal?...it looks OK....think the reason I never
changed it was that the engine mount would have to be removed...stupid
design ....
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Tue, 25 Feb 2020 18:53:33 +0000
"Jim GM4DHJ ..." wrote:

Just realised the serpentine belt on one of my cars has covered
110.000 miles... is this normal?...it looks OK....think the reason I
never changed it was that the engine mount would have to be
removed...stupid design ....

Sod's Law says that, if you do now replace it, it will be a defective
one and will fail after 1,000 miles.

" If it ain't broke......"

( I would change it, if it was me, though").

--
Davey.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Jim GM4DHJ ..." wrote:

Just realised the serpentine belt on one of my cars has covered
110.000 miles... is this normal?...it looks OK....think the reason I
never changed it was that the engine mount would have to be
removed...stupid design ....

Sod's Law says that, if you do now replace it, it will be a defective
one and will fail after 1,000 miles.

" If it ain't broke......"

( I would change it, if it was me, though").

yes leave well enough alone .....
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Jim GM4DHJ ... formulated on Tuesday :
Just realised the serpentine belt on one of my cars has covered 110.000
miles... is this normal?...it looks OK....think the reason I never changed it
was that the engine mount would have to be removed...stupid design ....

If its a cam belt, change it to avoid the expensive noises.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Jim GM4DHJ ... wrote:

Just realised the serpentine belt on one of my cars has covered 110.000
miles... is this normal?...it looks OK....think the reason I never
changed it was that the engine mount would have to be removed...stupid
design ....

Reminds me of one of my cars long ago. The handbook explained how
to replace a fan belt, but if you looked for information on the
steering pump belt, which trapped the fan belt, you were advised
that this was a workshop task. :-(

Before a continental car trip many years ago, I made sure that my
kit of bits included a spare fan belt. Some time later, back
home, I decided that it was probably time to fit it, only to
discover that I had been sold the wrong one. :-(

Chris
--
Chris J Dixon Nottingham UK
@ChrisJDixon1

Plant amazing Acers.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Jim GM4DHJ ... wrote:
Just realised the serpentine belt on one of my cars has covered 110.000
miles... is this normal?...it looks OK....think the reason I never
changed it was that the engine mount would have to be removed...stupid
design ....

Cars havent had fan belts for years. Fans are all electric these days.

Do you mean alternator/power steering pump belt or cam/water pump belt?

Tim

--
Please don't feed the trolls
Posted to uk.d-i-y

If this just a fan belt make sure you have plenty of old tights handy.
If its more crucial, then don't take chances.
Brian

He doesn't wear them. Just his wife's panties.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 25/02/2020 21:31, Tim+ wrote:
Jim GM4DHJ ... wrote:
Just realised the serpentine belt on one of my cars has covered 110.000
miles... is this normal?...it looks OK....think the reason I never
changed it was that the engine mount would have to be removed...stupid
design ....

Cars havent had fan belts for years. Fans are all electric these days.

Do you mean alternator/power steering pump belt or cam/water pump belt?

Tim

In your rush to be a pedant did you miss were he called it "the
serpentine belt" ?

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 25/02/2020 20:33, Chris J Dixon wrote:
Jim GM4DHJ ... wrote:

Just realised the serpentine belt on one of my cars has covered 110.000
miles... is this normal?...it looks OK....think the reason I never
changed it was that the engine mount would have to be removed...stupid
design ....

Reminds me of one of my cars long ago. The handbook explained how
to replace a fan belt, but if you looked for information on the
steering pump belt, which trapped the fan belt, you were advised
that this was a workshop task. :-(

Before a continental car trip many years ago, I made sure that my
kit of bits included a spare fan belt. Some time later, back
home, I decided that it was probably time to fit it, only to
discover that I had been sold the wrong one. :-(

A VW main dealer did once sell me the wrong part. I took the old belt
with me to make sure that the next one would be the right size.

--
Michael Chare

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Tuesday, 25 February 2020 21:57:06 UTC, mm0fmf wrote:
On 25/02/2020 21:31, Tim+ wrote:
Jim GM4DHJ ... wrote:

Cars havent had fan belts for years. Fans are all electric these days.

Do you mean alternator/power steering pump belt or cam/water pump belt?

Tim

In your rush to be a pedant did you miss were he called it "the
serpentine belt" ?

it powers the serpent.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Jim GM4DHJ ... wrote:

Just realised the serpentine belt on one of my cars has covered 110.000
miles... is this normal?...it looks OK....think the reason I never
changed it was that the engine mount would have to be removed...stupid
design ....

Reminds me of one of my cars long ago. The handbook explained how
to replace a fan belt, but if you looked for information on the
steering pump belt, which trapped the fan belt, you were advised
that this was a workshop task. :-(

Before a continental car trip many years ago, I made sure that my
kit of bits included a spare fan belt. Some time later, back
home, I decided that it was probably time to fit it, only to
discover that I had been sold the wrong one.* :-(

A VW main dealer did once sell me the wrong part. I took the old belt
with me to make sure that the next one would be the right size.

I did that once, and got the wrong belt. The guy in the shop aid 'I
tried to tell you, your old one has stretched 20%'

Josef Stalin
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 25/02/2020 19:30, Harry Bloomfield wrote:
Jim GM4DHJ ... formulated on Tuesday :
Just realised the serpentine belt on one of my cars has covered
110.000 miles... is this normal?...it looks OK....think the reason I
never changed it was that the engine mount would have to be
removed...stupid design ....

If its a cam belt, change it to avoid the expensive noises.

nah it is chain cam ....
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Jim GM4DHJ ... wrote:

Just realised the serpentine belt on one of my cars has covered 110.000
miles... is this normal?...it looks OK....think the reason I never
changed it was that the engine mount would have to be removed...stupid
design ....

Reminds me of one of my cars long ago. The handbook explained how
to replace a fan belt, but if you looked for information on the
steering pump belt, which trapped the fan belt, you were advised
that this was a workshop task. :-(

Before a continental car trip many years ago, I made sure that my
kit of bits included a spare fan belt. Some time later, back
home, I decided that it was probably time to fit it, only to
discover that I had been sold the wrong one. :-(

Chris

never mind it gave you a false sense of security ......
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 25/02/2020 21:31, Tim+ wrote:
Jim GM4DHJ ... wrote:
Just realised the serpentine belt on one of my cars has covered 110.000
miles... is this normal?...it looks OK....think the reason I never
changed it was that the engine mount would have to be removed...stupid
design ....

Cars havent had fan belts for years. Fans are all electric these days.

Do you mean alternator/power steering pump belt or cam/water pump belt?

Tim

I said serpentine belt...the fan belt bit was just to drag you wierdos
in ...tee hee

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 25/02/2020 21:57, mm0fmf wrote:
On 25/02/2020 21:31, Tim+ wrote:
Jim GM4DHJ ... wrote:
Just realised the serpentine belt on one of my cars has covered 110.000
miles... is this normal?...it looks OK....think the reason I never
changed it was that the engine mount would have to be removed...stupid
design ....

Cars havent had fan belts for years. Fans are all electric these days.

Do you mean alternator/power steering pump belt or cam/water pump belt?

Tim

In your rush to be a pedant did you miss were he called it "the
serpentine belt" ?

do you keep a belt in your pickup chebs ....kinky
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 25/02/2020 21:56, mm0fmf wrote:
If this just a fan belt make sure you have plenty of old tights handy.
* If its more crucial, then don't take chances.
* Brian

He doesn't wear them. Just his wife's panties.

shut it chebs....

can't believe using nylons as a temporary replacement ever worked...and
certainly not with modern flat grooved belts with tensioners on the
engine...
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 26/02/2020 07:19, Jim GM4DHJ ... wrote:
On 25/02/2020 21:31, Tim+ wrote:
Jim GM4DHJ ... wrote:
Just realised the serpentine belt on one of my cars has covered 110.000
miles... is this normal?...it looks OK....think the reason I never
changed it was that the engine mount would have to be removed...stupid
design ....

Cars havent had fan belts for years. Fans are all electric these days.

Do you mean alternator/power steering pump belt or cam/water pump belt?

Tim

I said serpentine belt...the fan belt bit was just to drag you wierdos
in ...tee hee

sorry not you Tim your posts are great......
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Wednesday, 26 February 2020 07:23:48 UTC, Jim GM4DHJ ... wrote:
On 25/02/2020 21:56, mm0fmf wrote:
If this just a fan belt make sure you have plenty of old tights handy.
* If its more crucial, then don't take chances.
* Brian

He doesn't wear them. Just his wife's panties.

shut it chebs....

can't believe using nylons as a temporary replacement ever worked...and
certainly not with modern flat grooved belts with tensioners on the
engine...

I used some rope one time, just tied it as tight as I could, there was no tensioner wheel. It slipped a lot but got me there. Nylons might perhaps have got the fan turning slowly, enough to make it overheat slower than no fan..

NT
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
Jim GM4DHJ ... wrote:
Just realised the serpentine belt on one of my cars has covered 110.000
miles... is this normal?...it looks OK....think the reason I never
changed it was that the engine mount would have to be removed...stupid
design ....

Most sensible people would change the serpentine belt according to the
maker's service schedule. But never mind - you can always just buy another
car.

--
*Black holes are where God divided by zero *

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
Chris J Dixon wrote:
Reminds me of one of my cars long ago. The handbook explained how
to replace a fan belt, but if you looked for information on the
steering pump belt, which trapped the fan belt, you were advised
that this was a workshop task. :-(

My old Rover is like that. In practice, the pump belt lasts for something
like three or four fan belts. No idea why.

--
*Save the whale - I'll have it for my supper*

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article
,

********.

--
*Microsoft broke Volkswagen's record: They only made 21.4 million bugs.

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Wednesday, 26 February 2020 11:12:20 UTC, Dave Plowman (News) wrote:
In article
,
Tim+ wrote:
Cars haven奏 had fan belts for years. Fans are all electric these days.

********.

AFAIK those aren't normally electric.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
wrote:
On Wednesday, 26 February 2020 07:23:48 UTC, Jim GM4DHJ ... wrote:
On 25/02/2020 21:56, mm0fmf wrote:
If this just a fan belt make sure you have plenty of old tights handy.
If its more crucial, then don't take chances.
Brian

He doesn't wear them. Just his wife's panties.

shut it chebs....

can't believe using nylons as a temporary replacement ever
worked...and certainly not with modern flat grooved belts with
tensioners on the engine...

I used some rope one time, just tied it as tight as I could, there was
no tensioner wheel. It slipped a lot but got me there. Nylons might
perhaps have got the fan turning slowly, enough to make it overheat
slower than no fan.

I had a fan belt snap late one night in London. RAC failed to turn up. By
this time it was the wee small hours. So just drove home. Battery was up
to it. and the fan turned the pump to give enough water circulation to
prevent overheating. While moving above 15 mph or so. Wouldn't have got
away with it in the rush hour, though.

--
*I have my own little world - but it's OK...they know me here*

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
wrote:
[...]

There was a time when snapped V-belts were a common sight on the
roadside, but now you never see them, and I never see the flat
multi-grooved ones either (*). Instead I see many half-moon
bits of broken coil springs on the side of the road.

(*) maybe they get trapped by the undertrays that a lot of
manufacturers fit on modern cars.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 26/02/2020 07:15, Jim GM4DHJ ... wrote:
On 25/02/2020 19:30, Harry Bloomfield wrote:
Jim GM4DHJ ... formulated on Tuesday :
Just realised the serpentine belt on one of my cars has covered
110.000 miles... is this normal?...it looks OK....think the reason I
never changed it was that the engine mount would have to be
removed...stupid design ....

If its a cam belt, change it to avoid the expensive noises.

nah it is chain cam ....

If it's a VW they break too :-(
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
Jim GM4DHJ ... wrote:
Just realised the serpentine belt on one of my cars has covered 110.000
miles... is this normal?...it looks OK....think the reason I never
changed it was that the engine mount would have to be removed...stupid
design ....

Most sensible people would change the serpentine belt according to the
maker's service schedule. But never mind - you can always just buy another
car.

Latest Peugeot engine has a cambelt that runs in oil.

Seems to be a commonm practice now :-

https://blog.motoringassist.com/car-...-bio-overview/
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 26/02/2020 18:32, Andrew wrote:
In article ,
*** Jim GM4DHJ ... wrote:
Just realised the serpentine belt on one of my cars has covered 110.000
miles... is this normal?...it looks OK....think the reason I never
changed it was that the engine mount would have to be removed...stupid
design ....

Most sensible people would change the serpentine belt according to the
maker's service schedule. But never mind - you can always just buy
another
car.

Latest Peugeot engine has a cambelt that runs in oil.

Seems to be a commonm practice now :-

https://blog.motoringassist.com/car-...-bio-overview/

rubber and oil don't mix .....
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 26/02/2020 18:26, Andrew wrote:
On 26/02/2020 07:15, Jim GM4DHJ ... wrote:
On 25/02/2020 19:30, Harry Bloomfield wrote:
Jim GM4DHJ ... formulated on Tuesday :
Just realised the serpentine belt on one of my cars has covered
110.000 miles... is this normal?...it looks OK....think the reason I
never changed it was that the engine mount would have to be
removed...stupid design ....

If its a cam belt, change it to avoid the expensive noises.

nah it is chain cam ....

If it's a VW they break too :-(

wouldn't touch a vw.....never had a cam chain break.....

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 26/02/2020 18:25, Andrew wrote:
In article ,
*** wrote:
[...]

you are correct not many old bangers with v belts still on the road and
serpintine ones never break ...I had spares in the boot for two 100,000
mile mercs and never used them.....
Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:
[...]

Yeah, I had a spare for my mark 1 Golf but
never needed to use it in 45 years, Dunno
how many miles, the speedo cable broke
after a while and I couldnt be bothered fixing it.
Same with the the radiator hoses.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default UNBELIEVABLE: It's 07:31 am in Australia and the Senile Ozzietard has been out of Bed and TROLLING for almost THREE HOURS already!!!! LOL

On Thu, 27 Feb 2020 07:31:30 +1100, cantankerous trolling geezer Rodent

FLUSH senile troll****

Seriously, you 86-year-old senile troll, where's your Nembutal? I hope you
didn't throw it away! You WILL still need it! I'll see to it that you will!
LMAO

cretin from Oz:
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Tim+ wrote:
Cars haven奏 had fan belts for years. Fans are all electric these days.

********.

AFAIK those aren't normally electric.

So what kind of pixies drive your cooling fans? If you car is younger than
about 20 years old, theyll be electric pixies.

Tim

--
Please don't feed the trolls

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Dave Plowman (News) wrote:
In article
,
Tim+ wrote:
Cars haven‘t had fan belts for years. Fans are all electric these days.

********.

Excepting folk who own ancient rovers and dont understand the idea that
for years = a very long time (but not an infinitely long time).

Name a modern car with a fan belt.

Tim

--
Please don't feed the trolls
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 26/02/2020 18:25, Andrew wrote:
There was a time when snapped V-belts were a common sight on the
roadside, but now you never see them, and I never see the flat
multi-grooved ones either (*). Instead I see many half-moon
bits of broken coil springs on the side of the road.

Mostly people are not running cars to as low a state as they used to.

The modern trend is to pay to have a decent car on tick of some sort,
and dump it when it gets to 70k miles or so.

Modern belts will do 100K + and are inspected as part of maintenance.

There is little point in owning a car worth under £500 these days when
tax MOT and insurance will be more than that...unless you are driving
without any of the above.

--
Ideas are inherently conservative. They yield not to the attack of
other ideas but to the massive onslaught of circumstance"

- John K Galbraith

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Tim+ wrote:

Cars haven奏 had fan belts for years. Fans are all electric these days.

********.

AFAIK those aren't normally electric.

The term 'fan belt' is the problem. All? cars still have the belt
but it drives the water pump, alternator, air-con and sometimes
power steering too, while the fan is always thermostatically-controlled
electric in 'normal' cars.

My Astra has an electric hydraulic steering pump.

Latest Astra doesn't even have a thermostat, there is a gate
valve controlled by the ECU directly.

Just trust me, ******** are not generally electric.
And no, I've not done a mass survey.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Tim+ wrote:
Cars haven奏 had fan belts for years. Fans are all electric these days.

********.

AFAIK those aren't normally electric.

So what kind of pixies drive your cooling fans? If you car is younger than
about 20 years old, theyll be electric pixies.

Tim

One is electric, one is belt driven off the engine. But ******** still aren't electric.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Thursday, 27 February 2020 01:02:16 UTC, The Natural Philosopher wrote:
On 26/02/2020 18:25, Andrew wrote:

There was a time when snapped V-belts were a common sight on the
roadside, but now you never see them, and I never see the flat
multi-grooved ones either (*). Instead I see many half-moon
bits of broken coil springs on the side of the road.

Mostly people are not running cars to as low a state as they used to.

The modern trend is to pay to have a decent car on tick of some sort,
and dump it when it gets to 70k miles or so.

Modern belts will do 100K + and are inspected as part of maintenance.

There is little point in owning a car worth under £500 these days when
tax MOT and insurance will be more than that...unless you are driving
without any of the above.

Mine's both the highest mileage and most reliable I've ever had - would be silly to get rid & downgrade to something newer with much worse mpg. Cars are able to do ever more miles per life as the years roll by.

NT