Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default fan belt

On 25/02/2020 23:12, Michael Chare wrote:
On 25/02/2020 20:33, Chris J Dixon wrote:
Jim GM4DHJ ... wrote:

Just realised the serpentine belt on one of my cars has covered 110.000
miles... is this normal?...it looks OK....think the reason I never
changed it was that the engine mount would have to be removed...stupid
design ....

Reminds me of one of my cars long ago. The handbook explained how
to replace a fan belt, but if you looked for information on the
steering pump belt, which trapped the fan belt, you were advised
that this was a workshop task. :-(

Before a continental car trip many years ago, I made sure that my
kit of bits included a spare fan belt. Some time later, back
home, I decided that it was probably time to fit it, only to
discover that I had been sold the wrong one.Â* :-(

A VW main dealer did once sell me the wrong part. I took the old belt
with me to make sure that the next one would be the right size.

I did that once, and got the wrong belt. The guy in the shop aid 'I
tried to tell you, your old one has stretched 20%'

Josef Stalin