Posted to uk.d-i-y
ARW ARW is offline

Default Did anyone else know that it is Boiler Switch On Week?

I have never heard of it before.

I just turn it on when it's cold and the date has nothing to do with it.

--
Adam
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Monday, 21 October 2019 19:53:44 UTC+1, ARW wrote:
I have never heard of it before.
I just turn it on when it's cold and the date has nothing to do with it.

I'm tighter than a gnat's chuff when it comes to heating and mine went on two weeks ago.

Only 2 dots though.

Owain

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message , ARW
writes
I have never heard of it before.

I just turn it on when it's cold and the date has nothing to do with it.

Ours stays on all year for the hot water anyway. Someone will be along
shortly to say an immersion is cheaper:-)

When I had a proper job, October 5th. was factory heating turn on day.

--
Tim Lamb
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 21/10/2019 19:53, ARW wrote:
I have never heard of it before.

I just turn it on when it's cold and the date has nothing to do with it.

Ours runs each day to heat the hot water tank all year and each room has
its own motorised valve and timer/stat. If it is cold, one or more rooms
will come on, otherwise they won't. Why would I want to turn it off and
on at certain times of the year?

SteveW

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 21/10/2019 19:53, ARW wrote:
I have never heard of it before.

I just turn it on when it's cold and the date has nothing to do with it.

Possibly a traditional date when the call out to broken CH systems
peaks. The classic breakdown at this time of year is the seized CH pump,
because it has been left off for 6 months or more.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Monday, 21 October 2019 19:53:44 UTC+1, ARW wrote:
I have never heard of it before.

I just turn it on when it's cold and the date has nothing to do with it.

I remember when it was 1st October - whether we needed it or not. But that comes of being in an insitutionalised environment.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 21/10/2019 19:53, ARW wrote:
I have never heard of it before.

I just turn it on when it's cold and the date has nothing to do with it.

If the controls are working there is no need to switch it off.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"ARW" wrote in message
I have never heard of it before.

I just turn it on when it's cold and the date has nothing to do with it.

Last week in October!!!

I admit that my boiler isn't on yet, but that unique IME

previous houses have all been some time in September

tim

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Tim Lamb" wrote in message
In message , ARW
writes
I have never heard of it before.

I just turn it on when it's cold and the date has nothing to do with it.

Ours stays on all year for the hot water anyway.

I assume that they mean turning on the heating option

everyone's boiler ought to be on all year for hot water

tim

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Yes though it might explain why the DUP had a meeting this week, lots of old
boilers in that lot.
Brian

--
----- --
The Sofa of Brian Gaff...

Blind user, so no pictures please
Note this Signature is meaningless.!
"ARW" wrote in message
I have never heard of it before.

I just turn it on when it's cold and the date has nothing to do with it.

--
Adam

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Brian Gaff wrote:

it might explain why the DUP had a meeting this week, lots of old
boilers in that lot.

all wood-pellet burners?

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Mon, 21 Oct 2019 19:53:41 +0100, ARW
wrote:

I have never heard of it before.

Nor had I but it makes sense (or did before GW etc).

I just turn it on when it's cold and the date has nothing to do with it.

Quite, but if you polled the population you might find that most turn
theirs on about now.

During the last hot spell, an elderly neighbour we keep an eye on /
help asked me to look at her heating system as it seemed to be heating
the rads when it was set for HW only.

Removing the diverter valve head and manually setting the valve to HW
only didn't stop the CH cct from getting hot and that suggested that
the valve itself was leaking / bypassing (and I got her a new valve
plate ready for when it cooled down in the loft).

During this recent cold snap she asked if she could have the heating
on and I arranged that for her but it seemed there were additional
(/new?) issues.

1) The valve wasn't returning to the default (HW) position, even when
disconnected from the valve itself and completely powered off, unless
you gave the motor gear a little nudge. I replaced the motor (cheap)
and whilst it's better, it's not 100% (suggesting the return spring
might be getting weak or something else is seizing up).

2) The system wouldn't run on CH only, but would run alongside HW.
Taking the PCB out of the head so I could get directly onto the micro
switches showed that both switches had an issue (O/C), one on the NO
connection, the other on the NC.

So I've ordered a complete new head and can test that on the old valve
body, before draining down, flushing then draining again and replacing
the valve itself (n refilling / inhibitor etc), when the weather is
right (mild).

It's a Y plan system but with no room stat, relying on thermostatic
rad valves and the boiler stat for CH. Simple and seems to work fairly
well, all be it not very 'adjustable' (but she rarely has the need to
adjust it it seems).

One way to stop the Mrs fiddling with the room stat is to not have
one. ;-)

We don't have one either, but then we don't have CH ...

Cheers, T i m
Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

I have never heard of it before.

I just turn it on when it's cold and the date has nothing to do with it.

In contrast, a few years ago a Guardian writer caused a stir by
writing a piece about 'tit Tuesday', the second day in the year when
women felt that it was warm enough to go to work without their winter
jumpers or cardigans on.

(I switched my CH on the other day but it got too warm so I switched
it off again, putting it on boost (two hours) when needed.)

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Tuesday, 22 October 2019 16:56:52 UTC+1, Peter Johnson wrote:
(I switched my CH on the other day but it got too warm so I switched
it off again, putting it on boost (two hours) when needed.)

Huh. I went into my lounge this morning and it was 12 deg C.

Won't be using that room again until March unless I win the lottery or global warming ups its game.

Owain

Posted to uk.d-i-y
ARW ARW is offline

On 21/10/2019 20:37, Steve Walker wrote:
On 21/10/2019 19:53, ARW wrote:
I have never heard of it before.

I just turn it on when it's cold and the date has nothing to do with it.

Ours runs each day to heat the hot water tank all year and each room has
its own motorised valve and timer/stat. If it is cold, one or more rooms
will come on, otherwise they won't. Why would I want to turn it off and
on at certain times of the year?

Agreed.

I have a smaller house with one room stat and TRVs on the rads.

I turn it off (set stat to 10 deg) when I am at work - I am not paying
to keep the house warm for my cat.

--
Adam
Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

[...]

Mad setup to have no room stat. Sounds like your shaft has seized up, probably after lack of use during the summer. Having had a honeywell 3 way apart I'm convinced there's no cure other than new parts.

NT
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 22/10/2019 10:08, Andy Burns wrote:
Brian Gaff wrote:

it might explain why the DUP had a meeting this week, lots of old
boilers in that lot.

all wood-pellet burners?

With pellets imported from Brazil?

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 22/10/2019 11:19, T i m wrote:

So I've ordered a complete new head and can test that on the old valve
body, before draining down, flushing then draining again and replacing
the valve itself (n refilling / inhibitor etc), when the weather is
right (mild).

If the valve is in the loft near the high point of the system you may
get away with partially draining a small amount of water. This may save
you extra hassle if when refilling you get air locks etc.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 21/10/2019 19:53, ARW wrote:
I have never heard of it before.

I just turn it on when it's cold and the date has nothing to do with it.

far more wise to leave your heating on permanently, and control it from
thermostat in your preferred room.
no point in allowing a house to heat up and cool down, then heat up again.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Tue, 22 Oct 2019 10:31:14 -0700 (PDT), wrote:

snip

It's a Y plan system but with no room stat, relying on thermostatic
rad valves and the boiler stat for CH. Simple and seems to work fairly
well, all be it not very 'adjustable' (but she rarely has the need to
adjust it it seems).

One way to stop the Mrs fiddling with the room stat is to not have
one. ;-)

We don't have one either, but then we don't have CH ...

Mad setup to have no room stat.

There are effectively stats in every room?

Sounds like your shaft has seized up, probably after lack of use during the summer.

Nope. It's a free moving now as it was then (you can move it easily
with your fingers).

Having had a honeywell 3 way apart I'm convinced there's no cure other than new parts.

Given how simple it is, the only technical bit I wouldn't be sure
about trying to find a generic replacement for is the main return
spring, as that has to be balanced by the holding circuit when in the
mid point.

The rest, two micro switches, two resistors and a diode are pretty
stock, and the other mechanicals in the head, pretty simple.

It's because of the potential of it being a tired spring *and* the
need to replace the two micro switches that it makes the new head
worthwhile.

I intend in repairing the old head, putting it on the old valve and
wiring it up to a double C/O light switch and seeing it work on the
bench. ;-)

Cheers, T i m
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Tue, 22 Oct 2019 20:00:59 +0100, alan_m
wrote:

On 22/10/2019 11:19, T i m wrote:

So I've ordered a complete new head and can test that on the old valve
body, before draining down, flushing then draining again and replacing
the valve itself (n refilling / inhibitor etc), when the weather is
right (mild).

If the valve is in the loft near the high point of the system you may
get away with partially draining a small amount of water.

In this case it's right in front of the cylinder in the airing
cupboard, alongside the timer, pump and immersion switch so it all
couldn't be easier. ;-)

This may save
you extra hassle if when refilling you get air locks etc.

I'm not sure how I would be able to tell if I had just drained down as
far as the diverter valve, even though that is probably above the tops
of the upstairs rads so might save having to bleed them etc?

Cheers, T i m

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Wed, 23 Oct 2019 09:55:24 +0100, "dennis@home"
wrote:

snip

Mad setup to have no room stat.

There are effectively stats in every room?

Its a rubbish system.

shrug

Even one with a room stat is pretty well rubbish.

Ok ...

For room stats to work there has to be a pump running and the boiler
running.

True.

If neither is true you won't get any heat even if its icing in the rooms.

It is true.

If you set the pump and boiler to run all the time you are wasting gas
and electricity and wearing out the system when there is no need for heat.

Possibly but surely isn't that the owners choice? FWIW, 'the system'
is probably over 30 years old (maybe 40) and I don't believe has much
in the way of attention, servicing or repair?

My mates Valliant system is new by comparison and is about to have a
new gas valve and main PCB because of an F62 error.

Mums CH / HW system doesn't even have rad stat valves or a room stat
and the boiler was bought second hand probably 40 years ago and again,
hasn't 'cost' anything with engineer service visits in that entire
time.

At least with a room stat there is a bit of control as neither will be
on if the room with the stat is warm saving a fortune compared to the
cost of fitting it.

And if that room is 'warm enough' none of the other rooms get any
heat. Crazy.

I think proper controls should be mandated, ie. zones with stats and timers.

I think every room needs to be on a different zone with it's own stat
and valve whilst possible and wouldn't cost that much more to do at
installation, isn't something I understand is generally done, even in
2019.

If we can have the inside of a car at two different temperatures on
either side then a complete room should be very easy.

Cheers, T i m
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Wednesday, 23 October 2019 00:22:17 UTC+1, T i m wrote:
On Tue, 22 Oct 2019 10:31:14 -0700 (PDT), tabbypurr wrote:

snip

It's a Y plan system but with no room stat, relying on thermostatic
rad valves and the boiler stat for CH. Simple and seems to work fairly
well, all be it not very 'adjustable' (but she rarely has the need to
adjust it it seems).

One way to stop the Mrs fiddling with the room stat is to not have
one. ;-)

We don't have one either, but then we don't have CH ...

Mad setup to have no room stat.

There are effectively stats in every room?

no, TRVs are not equivalent to room stats. We must have been over and over that on here.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Wednesday, 23 October 2019 09:55:27 UTC+1, dennis@home wrote:
On 23/10/2019 00:22, T i m wrote:
[...]

Room stats are Mandated, for good reason.
But it's t i m.

NT
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Brian Gaff wrote:

it might explain why the DUP had a meeting this week, lots of old
boilers in that lot.

all wood-pellet burners?

And the more hot air they generate the more they collect in
subsidies. (DUP and NI Woodchip boilers).
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 23/10/2019 10:20, T i m wrote:
On Wed, 23 Oct 2019 09:55:24 +0100, "dennis@home"
wrote:

snip

Mad setup to have no room stat.

There are effectively stats in every room?

Its a rubbish system.

shrug

Even one with a room stat is pretty well rubbish.

Ok ...

For room stats to work there has to be a pump running and the boiler
running.

True.

If neither is true you won't get any heat even if its icing in the rooms.

It is true.

If you set the pump and boiler to run all the time you are wasting gas
and electricity and wearing out the system when there is no need for heat.

Possibly but surely isn't that the owners choice? FWIW, 'the system'
is probably over 30 years old (maybe 40) and I don't believe has much
in the way of attention, servicing or repair?

Mine was installed about 38 years ago an I fitted timer stats and zone
valves so it isn't new technology.

Most of it is still there working although I have had a new boiler and a
mains pressure cylinder fitted when the solar thermal panels were installed.

My mates Valliant system is new by comparison and is about to have a
new gas valve and main PCB because of an F62 error.

Mums CH / HW system doesn't even have rad stat valves or a room stat
and the boiler was bought second hand probably 40 years ago and again,
hasn't 'cost' anything with engineer service visits in that entire
time.

It may not have cost anything in repairs but its probably cost double to
run the system.
Its like old PCs, they are cheap but use so much power its cheaper to
buy a new one if you are keeping it for two years.

At least with a room stat there is a bit of control as neither will be
on if the room with the stat is warm saving a fortune compared to the
cost of fitting it.

And if that room is 'warm enough' none of the other rooms get any
heat. Crazy.

I think proper controls should be mandated, ie. zones with stats and timers.

I think every room needs to be on a different zone with it's own stat
and valve whilst possible and wouldn't cost that much more to do at
installation, isn't something I understand is generally done, even in
2019.

If we can have the inside of a car at two different temperatures on
either side then a complete room should be very easy.

Its very easy, it was in 1980.

The easy way to retrofit it is with smart rad valves but they are
charging silly prices ATM.

Need the Chinese to start doing them for £5.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Wed, 23 Oct 2019 13:40:58 +0100, "dennis@home"
wrote:
snip

Possibly but surely isn't that the owners choice? FWIW, 'the system'
is probably over 30 years old (maybe 40) and I don't believe has much
in the way of attention, servicing or repair?

Mine was installed about 38 years ago an I fitted timer stats and zone
valves so it isn't new technology.

Never said it was, I said it's the owners choice.

Most of it is still there working although I have had a new boiler and a
mains pressure cylinder fitted when the solar thermal panels were installed.

Ok.

My mates Valliant system is new by comparison and is about to have a
new gas valve and main PCB because of an F62 error.

Mums CH / HW system doesn't even have rad stat valves or a room stat
and the boiler was bought second hand probably 40 years ago and again,
hasn't 'cost' anything with engineer service visits in that entire
time.

It may not have cost anything in repairs but its probably cost double to
run the system.

So, how much gas do you think you can get for say the cost of a gas
valve, a main PCB and the engineers time? Even if we go for just that
one example.

Its like old PCs, they are cheap but use so much power its cheaper to
buy a new one if you are keeping it for two years.

See above.

snip

If we can have the inside of a car at two different temperatures on
either side then a complete room should be very easy.

Its very easy, it was in 1980.

Quite.

The easy way to retrofit it is with smart rad valves but they are
charging silly prices ATM.

Ok.

Need the Chinese to start doing them for £5.

No, once we are out of the EU we can become a manufacturing superpower
again ... and charge what we like (/ need too give everyone £10 hour
min) and people will be happy to pay whatever we ask ... rolls eyes

Cheers, T i m
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 23/10/2019 14:24, T i m wrote:
On Wed, 23 Oct 2019 03:39:58 -0700 (PDT), wrote:

On Wednesday, 23 October 2019 00:22:17 UTC+1, T i m wrote:
On Tue, 22 Oct 2019 10:31:14 -0700 (PDT), tabbypurr wrote:

snip

It's a Y plan system but with no room stat, relying on thermostatic
rad valves and the boiler stat for CH. Simple and seems to work fairly
well, all be it not very 'adjustable' (but she rarely has the need to
adjust it it seems).

One way to stop the Mrs fiddling with the room stat is to not have
one. ;-)

We don't have one either, but then we don't have CH ...

Mad setup to have no room stat.

There are effectively stats in every room?

no, TRVs are not equivalent to room stats. We must have been over and over that on here.

You might have been but I haven't.

Ignoring the binary / analogue action, what is the (functional /
thermal control) differences between a thermostatic rad valve and a
room stat / room? And we are only talking about the ability to manage
the temperature in the room, nothing else / irreverent thanks.

This should be funny ...

It seems to me an old CH system that requires at least one radiator
without a TRV is not particularly funny - unlike, say, a know-it-all who
has never heard of such systems (albeit the latter may of course really
be an occasion for regret, especially if it arises from a traumatic
brain injury caused by DIY).

--
Robin
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
Peter Johnson wrote:
(I switched my CH on the other day but it got too warm so I switched
it off again, putting it on boost (two hours) when needed.)

Perhaps you've never heard of the latest invention - a thermostat? ;-)

--
*I never drink water because of the disgusting things that fish do in it..

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 23/10/2019 14:24, T i m wrote:

8

no, TRVs are not equivalent to room stats. We must have been over and over that on here.

You might have been but I haven't.

Ignoring the binary / analogue action, what is the (functional /
thermal control) differences between a thermostatic rad valve and a
room stat / room? And we are only talking about the ability to manage
the temperature in the room, nothing else / irreverent thanks.

A TVR can only change the upper temp of the room.
It can't make the boiler fire if the room gets too cold like a
thermostat can.
Unless its installed in a cr@p system that is always circulating hot water.

This should be funny ...

If you say so.

Cheers, T i m

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 23/10/2019 14:31, T i m wrote:
On Wed, 23 Oct 2019 13:40:58 +0100, "dennis@home"
wrote:
snip

[...]

As they have a ten year guarantee there probably isn't any cost in
fixing it.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
Max Demian wrote:
TRVs are noisy when not fully open

Mine ain't.

and don't regulate the temperature
properly.

Depends.

--
*See no evil, Hear no evil, Date no evil.

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
dennis@home wrote:
On 23/10/2019 14:24, T i m wrote:

8

no, TRVs are not equivalent to room stats. We must have been over and over that on here.

You might have been but I haven't.

Ignoring the binary / analogue action, what is the (functional /
thermal control) differences between a thermostatic rad valve and a
room stat / room? And we are only talking about the ability to manage
the temperature in the room, nothing else / irreverent thanks.

A TVR can only change the upper temp of the room. It can't make the
boiler fire if the room gets too cold like a thermostat can. Unless its
installed in a cr@p system that is always circulating hot water.

no, any sensible boiler will shut down if heat is not removed from
thecirculating water

--
from KT24 in Surrey, England
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Wed, 23 Oct 2019 15:43:22 +0100, "dennis@home"
wrote:

snip

As they have a ten year guarantee there probably isn't any cost in
fixing it.

Valliant boilers? I think the boiler might be older than that but
worth a check if the case?

Cheers, T i m

WE CELEBRATED THE ENTIRE WEEK (LAST WEEK 7/14 TO 7/20) Colonel Edmund J. Burke[_19_] Home Repair 0 May 22nd 17 02:22 PM
OT you know what else is stupid? micky Home Repair 24 June 11th 15 01:59 AM
OT Did any one else know ARW UK diy 21 August 2nd 13 08:22 AM
did u know the money making secrets.............did u know the moneymaking secrets............. jobs Home Repair 0 March 25th 08 11:56 AM
O.T. (totally, but don't know who else to ask!) Limey Lurker Woodworking 16 September 29th 05 08:14 PM