Posted to uk.d-i-y
dennis@home[_6_] dennis@home[_6_] is offline

Default Did anyone else know that it is Boiler Switch On Week?

On 23/10/2019 10:20, T i m wrote:
On Wed, 23 Oct 2019 09:55:24 +0100, "dennis@home"
wrote:

snip

Mad setup to have no room stat.

There are effectively stats in every room?

Its a rubbish system.

shrug

Even one with a room stat is pretty well rubbish.

Ok ...

For room stats to work there has to be a pump running and the boiler
running.

True.

If neither is true you won't get any heat even if its icing in the rooms.

It is true.

If you set the pump and boiler to run all the time you are wasting gas
and electricity and wearing out the system when there is no need for heat.

Possibly but surely isn't that the owners choice? FWIW, 'the system'
is probably over 30 years old (maybe 40) and I don't believe has much
in the way of attention, servicing or repair?

Mine was installed about 38 years ago an I fitted timer stats and zone
valves so it isn't new technology.

Most of it is still there working although I have had a new boiler and a
mains pressure cylinder fitted when the solar thermal panels were installed.

My mates Valliant system is new by comparison and is about to have a
new gas valve and main PCB because of an F62 error.

Mums CH / HW system doesn't even have rad stat valves or a room stat
and the boiler was bought second hand probably 40 years ago and again,
hasn't 'cost' anything with engineer service visits in that entire
time.

It may not have cost anything in repairs but its probably cost double to
run the system.
Its like old PCs, they are cheap but use so much power its cheaper to
buy a new one if you are keeping it for two years.

At least with a room stat there is a bit of control as neither will be
on if the room with the stat is warm saving a fortune compared to the
cost of fitting it.

And if that room is 'warm enough' none of the other rooms get any
heat. Crazy.

I think proper controls should be mandated, ie. zones with stats and timers.

I think every room needs to be on a different zone with it's own stat
and valve whilst possible and wouldn't cost that much more to do at
installation, isn't something I understand is generally done, even in
2019.

If we can have the inside of a car at two different temperatures on
either side then a complete room should be very easy.

Its very easy, it was in 1980.

The easy way to retrofit it is with smart rad valves but they are
charging silly prices ATM.

Need the Chinese to start doing them for £5.