Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default =?ISO-8859-15?Q?Applepay__=A330?=

Topped the car up with £60 of diesel, went to counter to Applepay and
it wouldn't accept it if more than £30, I have never used it for fuel
before, but where I have spent more than £30 it has been accepted. Is
this a filling station thing?
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default ?Q?Re=3a_Applepay_=3e_=c2=a330?=

On 05/09/2019 17:50, Harry Bloomfield wrote:
Topped the car up with £60 of diesel, went to counter to Applepay and it
wouldn't accept it if more than £30, I have never used it for fuel
before, but where I have spent more than £30 it has been accepted. Is
this a filling station thing?

An irritating Esso thing certainly, Sainsbury's filling stations take
payments over £30.

My Google pay has done a £1000 at the dentist. I have no idea what the
actual limit from Google/my bank is.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 05/09/2019 17:50, Harry Bloomfield wrote:
Topped the car up with £60 of diesel, went to counter to Applepay and it
wouldn't accept it if more than £30, I have never used it for fuel
before, but where I have spent more than £30 it has been accepted. Is
this a filling station thing?

There was something on the radio (R4 I suspect) about this awhile back.
As I recall, there was a £30 limit, which has been removed, but
retailers need to update their terminals.

Having said that, my recollection is that the programme was some time
back - ie probably at least a year.

I don't use Apple pay, so it isn't a problem I've encounter.

I was a bit surprised that 'contactless' was recently accepted in France
without a PIN on first use. My recollection is that last time, I had to
enter a PIN the first time I used it on a trip.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Pancho used his keyboard to write :
An irritating Esso thing certainly, Sainsbury's filling stations take
payments over £30.

No, local Tesco.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Harry Bloomfield wrote:

Is this a filling station thing?

Yes, most pumps seem to have an improvised sign stuck on them warning
they don't accept ApplePay above the £30 contactless limit.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Andy Burns laid this down on his screen :
Yes, most pumps seem to have an improvised sign stuck on them warning they
don't accept ApplePay above the £30 contactless limit.

I wonder why fuel stations and not other places, when exceeding that
£30 will be quite frequent?
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 05/09/2019 18:21, Brian Reay wrote:

I was a bit surprised that 'contactless' was recently accepted in France
without a PIN on first use. My recollection is that last time, I had to
enter a PIN the first time I used it on a trip.

For me contactless has only requested a pin once. I think what may have
triggered it is two transactions 250 miles apart within 6 hours of each
other.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Applepay 30 uk pounds

No mine says if you want to pay more you need two transactions. Its much the
same as contactless cards. there are rumours that this will be relaxed
though so a bigger incentive to steal your card or phone.
Brian

--
----- --
The Sofa of Brian Gaff...

Blind user, so no pictures please
Note this Signature is meaningless.!
Harry Bloomfield; "Esq." wrote in
message ...
Topped the car up with £60 of diesel, went to counter to Applepay and it
wouldn't accept it if more than £30, I have never used it for fuel before,
but where I have spent more than £30 it has been accepted. Is this a
filling station thing?

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Brian Gaff formulated on Friday :
so a bigger incentive to steal your card or phone.

With the phone, they would have to also steal my face or my thumb.

That was the whole point of Applepay, it was secure - needing you to be
present with your thumb or face, so no need for a pin even for the
largest or smallest transactions.

My point was, why are fuel stations not accepting Applepay for £30 ?

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Harry Bloomfield wrote:

My point was, why are fuel stations not accepting Applepay for £30 ?

Presumably petrol stations have been (maybe still are) "good" places for
criminals to use stolen plastic for contactless transactions?

Maybe with that track record they find it difficult to persuade the
banks to allow the higher limit without the petrol station bearing the risk?
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default ?Q?=20Applepay=20=20=C2=A330?=

alan_m wrote:
On 05/09/2019 18:21, Brian Reay wrote:

I was a bit surprised that 'contactless' was recently accepted in France
without a PIN on first use. My recollection is that last time, I had to
enter a PIN the first time I used it on a trip.

For me contactless has only requested a pin once. I think what may have
triggered it is two transactions 250 miles apart within 6 hours of each
other.

Perhaps that was it, or something similar. Certainly other times it hasnt
been an issue.

I was surprised when we were in the US a few years back that quite a few
places still used the old fashioned imprint and sign gadgets- the ones
where you get a tracing paper like receipt. It wasnt just in the remote
areas either, it applied in places where there would certainly have been
access to Internet/phone etc . Ive not signed a credit card receipt in
the UK in years.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Andy Burns wrote on 06/09/2019 :
Presumably petrol stations have been (maybe still are) "good" places for
criminals to use stolen plastic for contactless transactions?

Applepay is unlike plastic, the owner has to be present during the
transaction to use their face or their thumb. The phone has to see your
face, or thumb and make the payment within a few seconds - Supposedly
much more secure than chip and a pin.

I have now swapped most of my out and about spend, to Applepay, so I
was just lucky I had my wallet and cards to enable me to pay at all.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Harry Bloomfield wrote:

Andy Burns wrote:

Presumably petrol stations have been (maybe still are) "good" places
for criminals to use stolen plastic for contactless transactions?

Applepay is unlike plastic, the owner has to be present during the
transaction to use their face or their thumb.

But does the shop till know whether it's talking to a plastic card, or
an iThing?
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Harry Bloomfield; "Esq." wrote in message
Andy Burns wrote on 06/09/2019 :
Presumably petrol stations have been (maybe still are) "good" places for criminals to
use stolen plastic for contactless transactions?

Applepay is unlike plastic, the owner has to be present during the transaction to use
their face or their thumb.

Never heard of bolt cutters ?

michael adams

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Andy Burns submitted this idea :
Harry Bloomfield wrote:

Andy Burns wrote:

Presumably petrol stations have been (maybe still are) "good" places for
criminals to use stolen plastic for contactless transactions?

Applepay is unlike plastic, the owner has to be present during the
transaction to use their face or their thumb.

But does the shop till know whether it's talking to a plastic card, or an
iThing?

It must do, otherwise other tills wouldn't know to ignore the £30
limit. Besides, Applepay works with some sort of one-time token, so its
reputed to be very secure, much more so than a card with or without
pin.

I have written to Tesco for an explanation.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 05/09/2019 19:06, Harry Bloomfield wrote:
Pancho used his keyboard to write :
An irritating Esso thing certainly, Sainsbury's filling stations take
payments over £30.

No, local Tesco.

The Esso stations I was thinking of also had a Tesco local attached, so
maybe it is a Tesco thing?

Do Tesco accept £30 aplle pay in normal food stores.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Brian Gaff wrote

No mine says if you want to pay more you need two transactions. Its much
the same as contactless cards. there are rumours that this will be relaxed

There is no limit with applepay transactions here anymore.

though so a bigger incentive to steal your card or phone.

No point in stealing your iphone, the thief cant do applepay transactions.

Harry Bloomfield; "Esq." wrote in
message ...
Topped the car up with £60 of diesel, went to counter to Applepay and it
wouldn't accept it if more than £30, I have never used it for fuel
before,
but where I have spent more than £30 it has been accepted. Is this a
filling station thing?

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 06/09/2019 08:05, Brian Gaff wrote:
Maybe you can get it raised by your bank then. All I know is what I said in
my last message, but then, I'm a person without a credit history,
apparently!

My android pay is linked to a debit card so there isn't credit risk.

Many older people have limited credit history. I'm not sure of exact
details but AIUI bank accounts opened in the last 10-20 years tend to
expose data to credit reference agencies by default where as accounts
opened before this do not.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Andy Burns" wrote in message
Harry Bloomfield wrote:

My point was, why are fuel stations not accepting Applepay for £30 ?

Presumably petrol stations have been (maybe still are) "good" places for
criminals to use stolen plastic for contactless transactions?

They arent really because there is a limit to how much petrol you can use.

Maybe with that track record they find it difficult to persuade the banks
to allow the higher limit without the petrol station bearing the risk?

There is no risk for the petrol station with an applepay transaction
because no stolen iphone can be used to do applepay transactions.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Fri, 6 Sep 2019 19:39:47 +1000, jeikppkywk, better known as cantankerous

They arent

LOL

Maybe with that track record they find it difficult to persuade the banks
to allow the higher limit without the petrol station bearing the risk?

There is no

LOL

In auto-contradicting mode again, you clinically insane auto-contradicting
85-year-old senile pest?

--
Sqwertz to Rot Speed:
asshole.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Fri, 6 Sep 2019 19:24:41 +1000, cantankerous trolling geezer Rodent

There is no

LOL

No

LOL

Feeling better again, you pathological, auto-contradicting senile idiot?

little ignorant ****."
MID:
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Andy Burns" wrote in message
Harry Bloomfield wrote:

Andy Burns wrote:

Presumably petrol stations have been (maybe still are) "good" places for
criminals to use stolen plastic for contactless transactions?

Applepay is unlike plastic, the owner has to be present during the
transaction to use their face or their thumb.

But does the shop till know whether it's talking to a plastic card, or an
iThing?

Yep, I no longer have to enter a PIN with transactions over
the contactless limit anymore with applepay transactions.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"michael adams" mjadams25@ukonline wrote in message

Harry Bloomfield; "Esq." wrote in
message ...
Andy Burns wrote on 06/09/2019 :
Presumably petrol stations have been (maybe still are) "good" places for
criminals to use stolen plastic for contactless transactions?

Applepay is unlike plastic, the owner has to be present during the
transaction to use their face or their thumb.

Never heard of bolt cutters ?

Dead fingers don’t work with the iphone fingerprint sensors.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Fri, 6 Sep 2019 19:56:30 +1000, jeikppkywk, better known as cantankerous

But does the shop till know whether it's talking to a plastic card, or an
iThing?

Yep, I no longer have to enter a PIN with transactions over
the contactless limit anymore with applepay transactions.

You can also shove ApplePay up yours, you senile mindless consumer!

--
FredXX to Rot Speed:
"You are still an idiot and an embarrassment to your country. No wonder

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Friday, September 6, 2019 at 8:28:02 AM UTC+1, Andy Burns wrote:
Harry Bloomfield wrote:

My point was, why are fuel stations not accepting Applepay for £30 ?

Presumably petrol stations have been (maybe still are) "good" places for
criminals to use stolen plastic for contactless transactions?

Maybe with that track record they find it difficult to persuade the
banks to allow the higher limit without the petrol station bearing the risk?

A friend had his wallet stolen. The credit card appeared to have been sold to a long distance lorry driver as the transactions all related to diesel purchases across Europe
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Fri, 6 Sep 2019 20:05:46 +1000, cantankerous trolling geezer Rodent

Dead fingers don¢t work with the iphone fingerprint sensors.

You will SOON find out, you 85-year-old trolling senile pest! BG

little ignorant ****."
MID:
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Rod Speed" wrote in message

"michael adams" mjadams25@ukonline wrote in message

Harry Bloomfield; "Esq." wrote in message
Andy Burns wrote on 06/09/2019 :
Presumably petrol stations have been (maybe still are) "good" places for criminals
to use stolen plastic for contactless transactions?

Applepay is unlike plastic, the owner has to be present during the transaction to use
their face or their thumb.

Never heard of bolt cutters ?

Dead fingers don’t work with the iphone fingerprint sensors.

You graft them onto the side of your hand or possibly onto
the hands of some poor unfortunates recruited to serve
your nefarious purposes ( ISTR this topic has come up before )

michael adams

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 06/09/2019 13:26, michael adams wrote:
"Rod Speed" wrote in message

"michael adams" mjadams25@ukonline wrote in message

Harry Bloomfield; "Esq." wrote in message
Andy Burns wrote on 06/09/2019 :
Presumably petrol stations have been (maybe still are) "good" places for criminals
to use stolen plastic for contactless transactions?

Applepay is unlike plastic, the owner has to be present during the transaction to use
their face or their thumb.

Never heard of bolt cutters ?

Dead fingers dont work with the iphone fingerprint sensors.

You graft them onto the side of your hand or possibly onto
the hands of some poor unfortunates recruited to serve
your nefarious purposes ( ISTR this topic has come up before )

Bull****. You just need to connect them to a lightening conductor and
wait for a storm.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Friday, 6 September 2019 08:28:02 UTC+1, Andy Burns wrote:
Harry Bloomfield wrote:

My point was, why are fuel stations not accepting Applepay for £30 ?

Presumably petrol stations have been (maybe still are) "good" places for
criminals to use stolen plastic for contactless transactions?

I was told that common fraud transcactions with cards were fuel and trainers transactions.

Maybe with that track record they find it difficult to persuade the
banks to allow the higher limit without the petrol station bearing the risk?

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Harry Bloomfield wrote:

Andy Burns wrote:

does the shop till know whether it's talking to a plastic card, or
an iThing?

It must do, otherwise other tills wouldn't know to ignore the £30 limit.

But does the till know that, or does it just present the amount to the
card, and the card or iThing gives a yes/no answer with some sort of
token to prove it?

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 06/09/2019 15:58, Andy Burns wrote:
Harry Bloomfield wrote:

Andy Burns wrote:

does the shop till know whether it's talking to a plastic card, or an
iThing?

It must do, otherwise other tills wouldn't know to ignore the £30 limit.

But does the till know that, or does it just present the amount to the
card, and the card or iThing gives a yes/no answer with some sort of
token to prove it?

One presumes the till obtains an identity from the device (apple pay,
contactless card) and uses this id to query the bank. The bank will know
from the id what the device type is, the bank will then send an
authorization (or decline) to the till.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Pancho submitted this idea :
My android pay is linked to a debit card so there isn't credit risk.

I have three cards on the Iphone, credit and 2x debits. I tried the
default credit card, which was rejected for Applepay.

I am not sure which actual physical card I used to make the payment. So
worth trying Applepay again, but selecting a debit card?
Posted to uk.d-i-y

After serious thinking jeikppkywk wrote :
Yep, I no longer have to enter a PIN with transactions over
the contactless limit anymore with applepay transactions.

As already said, nor do I, but I was caught out buying fuel from
Tesco..
Posted to uk.d-i-y

michael adams brought next idea :
Harry Bloomfield; "Esq." wrote in
message ...
Andy Burns wrote on 06/09/2019 :
Presumably petrol stations have been (maybe still are) "good" places for
criminals to use stolen plastic for contactless transactions?

Applepay is unlike plastic, the owner has to be present during the
transaction to use their face or their thumb.

Never heard of bolt cutters ?

michael adams

The blood would make the print unrecognisable 8-o

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"michael adams" mjadams25@ukonline wrote in message
o.uk...

"Rod Speed" wrote in message

"michael adams" mjadams25@ukonline wrote in message

Harry Bloomfield; "Esq." wrote in
message
Andy Burns wrote on 06/09/2019 :
Presumably petrol stations have been (maybe still are) "good" places
for criminals
to use stolen plastic for contactless transactions?

Applepay is unlike plastic, the owner has to be present during the
transaction to use
their face or their thumb.

Never heard of bolt cutters ?

Dead fingers don’t work with the iphone fingerprint sensors.

You graft them onto the side of your hand or possibly onto the hands of
some poor unfortunates recruited to serve your nefarious purposes

Costs more to do that than you will ever be able to loot from the phone,
stupid.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Harry Bloomfield wrote:

Andy Burns wrote:

does the shop till know whether it's talking to a plastic card, or an
iThing?

It must do, otherwise other tills wouldn't know to ignore the £30 limit.

But does the till know that, or does it just present the amount to the
card, and the card or iThing gives a yes/no answer with some sort of
token to prove it?

One presumes the till obtains an identity from the device (apple pay,
contactless card) and uses this id to query the bank. The bank will know
from the id what the device type is, the bank will then send an
authorization (or decline) to the till.

Its much more complicated than than with complex protocols with
contactless transactions and more than one protocol available.
https://support.apple.com/en-au/HT202527

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Harry Bloomfield"; "Esq." wrote in
message ...
Pancho submitted this idea :
My android pay is linked to a debit card so there isn't credit risk.

I have three cards on the Iphone, credit and 2x debits. I tried the
default credit card, which was rejected for Applepay.

I am not sure which actual physical card I used to make the payment. So
worth trying Applepay again, but selecting a debit card?

You didn't say why it wasn't accepted, whether the person
said that or your phone said that when you tried to make
the payment and where you got the story that the problem
was because the transaction was over 30uk pounds

If the person said that, they may have been confused.

Its unlikely that the phone said that, normally with
transactions that are higher than the contactless
limit it just asks for the card PIN and you enter
that on the payment terminal, not on the phone.

Its certainly worth trying the other cards, there
have been some examples of the card issuer
not setting up the card data fields properly
so it doesn't work properly contactless or
with applepay.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sat, 7 Sep 2019 15:53:55 +1000, jeikppkywk, better known as cantankerous

I am not sure which actual physical card I used to make the payment. So
worth trying Applepay again, but selecting a debit card?

You didn't say

He didn't even talk to you, you trolling senile pest from Oz!

--
about senile Rot Speed:
MID:
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sat, 7 Sep 2019 15:03:32 +1000, jeikppkywk, better known as cantankerous

Its much more complicated than than

Oh, just shut your stupid senile gob, you trolling piece of senile ****!

cretin from Oz: