Posted to uk.d-i-y
ARW ARW is offline

Default Cat flaps that work with ID microchips chips

Any recommendations for one?

Two cats and the owner wants no aliens in the house.

--
Adam
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 06/08/2019 18:53, ARW wrote:
Any recommendations for one?

Two cats and the owner wants no aliens in the house.

There was someone who used to spam newsgroups with such a product
sometime ago. So not a recommendation no matter what that is.

I'd go DIY, some sort of two-factor authentication.

i.e.
1. machine learning, so that what looks like a cat is identified as
being a cat,
2. having a microchip.

A laser to vaporise subjects that fail that would be a natural upgrade.

--
Adrian C
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Tuesday, 6 August 2019 18:53:37 UTC+1, ARW wrote:
Any recommendations for one?

I fitted a Sureflap about 10 years ago. It's remarkably good - no complaints.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Tue, 6 Aug 2019 18:53:35 +0100, ARW
wrote:

Any recommendations for one?

Two cats and the owner wants no aliens in the house.

Isn't that a dichotomy? ;-)

The real pity / problem is that any owners let their companion animals
out unmonitored. About the only exceptions I can think of could be
pigeon racers and tortoise owners?

A local friends neighbour had a dog and the dog suffered because they
don't know how to look after pets.

So they got rid of the dog and got a cat and now their neighbours
suffer instead. ;-(

Cheers, T i m

Posted to uk.d-i-y

+1 for the Sureflap microchip cat flap, programmed for both our moggies and has not let a stranger in yet and some have tried!

Richard
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 06/08/2019 18:53, ARW wrote:
Any recommendations for one?

Two cats and the owner wants no aliens in the house.

The Sureflap ones work well in wooden and glass doors but I had problems
in a uPVC door because of the metal inside the uPVC sections.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Tuesday, 6 August 2019 18:53:37 UTC+1, ARW wrote:
Any recommendations for one?

Two cats and the owner wants no aliens in the house.

the reviews I read say nothing but problems. Delays in responding, noise when opening spooks the cats, electronic control only works one way, cats need to be trained to use it... buy with caution.

NT
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 06/08/2019 18:53, ARW wrote:
Any recommendations for one?

Two cats and the owner wants no aliens in the house.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B00MA3TH2M/

I've had 2, the first one lasted about 8-9 years.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Yes very funny, I somehow that the cost and the military grade laser might
be prohibitively expensive!

You can get readers for the chips, but I do not know the range. I'd look at
those and see if they generate a signal of some sort. I saw something a
couple of years go on Country file where a farmer had an automated cattle
sorter that used rfid to move a metal grille so certain animals went one way
and others the other way.

Brian

--
----- --
The Sofa of Brian Gaff...

Blind user, so no pictures please
Note this Signature is meaningless.!
"Adrian Caspersz" wrote in message
On 06/08/2019 18:53, ARW wrote:
Any recommendations for one?

Two cats and the owner wants no aliens in the house.

There was someone who used to spam newsgroups with such a product sometime
ago. So not a recommendation no matter what that is.

I'd go DIY, some sort of two-factor authentication.

i.e.
1. machine learning, so that what looks like a cat is identified as being
a cat,
2. having a microchip.

A laser to vaporise subjects that fail that would be a natural upgrade.

--
Adrian C

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Tuesday, 6 August 2019 19:52:32 UTC+1, Adrian Caspersz wrote:
I'd go DIY, some sort of two-factor authentication.
i.e.
1. machine learning, so that what looks like a cat is identified as
being a cat,

It's been mentioned here before, but someone did one with pattern recognition so that "cat" is admitted, but "cat+mouse" is not admitted.

Owain

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Wednesday, 7 August 2019 11:22:01 UTC+1, Bob Eager wrote:
It's been mentioned here before, but someone did one with pattern
recognition so that "cat" is admitted, but "cat+mouse" is not admitted.

Flo-Control

That was the one.

Someone else has done a more recent one with Muck and Findus

https://lmb.informatik.uni-freiburg....nneber/cvflap/

Owain

Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

It's been mentioned here before, but someone did one with pattern recognition so that "cat" is admitted, but "cat+mouse" is not admitted.

I can't remember how well it discriminated against the raccoon?

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Tuesday, 6 August 2019 18:53:37 UTC+1, ARW wrote:
Any recommendations for one?

Two cats and the owner wants no aliens in the house.

--
Adam

About 10 years ago I decided to buy a microchip cat flap after I kept getting other cats visiting though my standard none ID chipped flap, after I installed it I put a webcam up to check everything was working. I have seen a fox try to get in too.

My first video got attention and someone from the company "bitcoin james" (asked me if it was their flap which it was. They asked me if I'd allow them to have the vid for advertising purposes, I allowed them that and that they could use a clip in an america programme on the animal planet channel called yuor pet wants this.
For that I recuieved a £100 cheque and a new version of the flap free which was stronger so I replaced mine with the new version.

As I've been paid for advertising I don't mind saying that my catflap was the Pet Porte 'make' I've no idea whether others are better or worse.

My present cat is an indoor cat never wants to go out.
The flap is still in the door but I have a fire extingisher up against it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IUBgEZ5fteU

this show how persistant some cats can be.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gHNeKgu1k34

Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

Any recommendations for one?

Two cats and the owner wants no aliens in the house.

Isn't that a dichotomy? ;-)

The real pity / problem is that any owners let their companion animals
out unmonitored.

Cats are almost impossible to monitor they aren;t just pets they are animals and you can't order a cat top do something it doesn't want to.
You may take it to a voting booth but you can't get it to vote the way you want it to.

About the only exceptions I can think of could be
pigeon racers and tortoise owners?

I've had foxes at my cat flap and one next doors dog, which was taken away from them as they couldn;t loko after it.

A local friends neighbour had a dog and the dog suffered because they
don't know how to look after pets.

So they got rid of the dog and got a cat and now their neighbours
suffer instead. ;-(

I've yet to here of a cat killing a child or severly injuring them.
Makes you wonder why the police train dogs and not cats doesn't it ?

I wonder if cats/dogs are left or right brained. Dogs appear more stupid and are more inteligent generly speaking of course.

Cheers, T i m

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Wednesday, 7 August 2019 01:34:07 UTC+1, wrote:
On Tuesday, 6 August 2019 18:53:37 UTC+1, ARW wrote:
Any recommendations for one?

Two cats and the owner wants no aliens in the house.

the reviews I read say nothing but problems. Delays in responding,

That can be a problem for some cats.

noise when opening spooks the cats,

you can turn the bleep off.

electronic control only works one way,

Rubbish, you can set it in many ways, even depending on time of day, well on my one. Handy if yuo donl;t want you cat going out at night or whatever.

Try downloading the manual and read that before buying to check if worried

cats need to be trained to use it... buy with caution.

So do humans, if a cat can use an ordinary flap then it's liklely to be able to use a microchip version.

NT

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Wednesday, 7 August 2019 11:08:20 UTC+1, Brian Gaff wrote:
Is it mains or battery powered, ie if the power fails does it still operate?
Brian

Mine had a PP3 backup battery for such occasions.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

Any recommendations for one?

Two cats and the owner wants no aliens in the house.

Isn't that a dichotomy? ;-)

The real pity / problem is that any owners let their companion animals
out unmonitored.

Cats are almost impossible to monitor they aren;t just pets they are animals and you can't order a cat top do something it doesn't want to.

No, really, good job you told me. However, I wasn't really talking
about the pet but their 'owners'.

snip cr*p

About the only exceptions I can think of could be
pigeon racers and tortoise owners?

I've had foxes at my cat flap and one next doors dog, which was taken away from them as they couldn;t loko after it.

As it should be. Shame the same doesn't apply to the owners of cats
who allow their 'pet' to trespass (and defecate etc) on other peoples
property. Whilst such may not be illegal, it *is* as antisocial as not
picking up after your dog or allowing it off the lead without being
'in control' or to bark incessantly etc.

A local friends neighbour had a dog and the dog suffered because they
don't know how to look after pets.

So they got rid of the dog and got a cat and now their neighbours
suffer instead. ;-(

I've yet to here of a cat killing a child or severly injuring them.

But then you don't really consider things that don't support your
blinkered cause do you? Never heard of toxoplasmosis?

Makes you wonder why the police train dogs and not cats doesn't it ?

It might make you wonder but it wouldn't make a sane person wonder.

If they wanted something to jump up onto the food preparation surfaces
and walk all over their droughts I guess they could get a cat?

I wonder if cats/dogs are left or right brained.

I'm sure you do (as it's completely illogical to wonder if there was
likely to be a bias in 'all dogs') ... If they experience brain
lateralisation (and there is no reason why they wouldn't) then there
is a good chance that they would experience the same things / issues
as humans do.

https://www.sciencedirect.com/scienc...66432810000100
https://www.sciencedirect.com/scienc...76635702001614
https://www.sciencedirect.com/scienc...03347211002284
https://link.springer.com/article/10...071-008-0199-3
https://www.sciencedirect.com/scienc...03347211002284
https://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/....1002/wcs.100#

Dogs appear more stupid and are more inteligent generly speaking of course.

Both dogs and cats lick themselves clean but I don't think that would
be appropriate for test tubes. They can probably train Monkeys to do
that though.

Cheers, T i m

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 07/08/2019 11:08, Brian Gaff wrote:
Is it mains or battery powered, ie if the power fails does it still operate?
Brian

Mains for full functionality, but can be battery. If you have mains, the
battery acts as backup. In that case, the cat has to nudge the door to
activate the reader.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Wednesday, 7 August 2019 11:08:20 UTC+1, Brian Gaff wrote:
Is it mains or battery powered, ie if the power fails does it still operate?
Brian

Battery, they are very good.

Jonathan

Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

Any recommendations for one?

Two cats and the owner wants no aliens in the house.

Isn't that a dichotomy? ;-)

The real pity / problem is that any owners let their companion animals
out unmonitored.

Cats are almost impossible to monitor they aren;t just pets they are animals and you can't order a cat top do something it doesn't want to.

No, really, good job you told me. However, I wasn't really talking
about the pet but their 'owners'.

Cats donlt have owners dogs do, cats have staff. ;-)

snip cr*p

About the only exceptions I can think of could be
pigeon racers and tortoise owners?

I've had foxes at my cat flap and one next doors dog, which was taken away from them as they couldn;t loko after it.

As it should be. Shame the same doesn't apply to the owners of cats
who allow their 'pet' to trespass (and defecate etc) on other peoples
property.

According to cats wherever they deficate is their property.
It;s a humn concept that you can own such a place using money or whatever.
Do you really expect an aminal to understand such human behaviour.
Even humans don't really understand it and that's where you get crime, laws and solicitors.
Perhaps yuo can explain why your innocence or guilt can depend on how much you pay for a solicitor. Once yuo';ve explained it to me try it with a cat.

Whilst such may not be illegal, it *is* as antisocial as not
picking up after your dog or allowing it off the lead without being
'in control' or to bark incessantly etc.

You own a dog you should be able to control it that is the law, like kids.
Horses were always allowed to **** where they like.
Dogs need leads partly because of how dangerous they are, cats rarely do significant damge to humans or other animals compared to dogs.
Maybe thats why fox hunters use dogs and not cats.

I've yet to here of a cat killing a child or severly injuring them.

But then you don't really consider things that don't support your
blinkered cause do you? Never heard of toxoplasmosis?

Of course I have and I know about it, I've read about it's life cycle fascinating 'bug' and has a form of transmitted inteligence, but it doesn't kill humans.
Dogs get all sorts of worms and when they **** in a field if a child should get it in their eyes they could go blind or worse.

Makes you wonder why the police train dogs and not cats doesn't it ?

It might make you wonder but it wouldn't make a sane person wonder.

Why can't the police control a cat then like they can dogs, you expect a 'nornmal' person to control a cats behavior ?

What if they wanted an animal to eat it;s own **** and like your face.
Only dogs do that. Cats don't normmaly eat ****.

I wonder if cats/dogs are left or right brained.

I'm sure you do (as it's completely illogical to wonder if there was
likely to be a bias in 'all dogs')

But there is they use the same method as humans when looking at something or someone cats don't, dogs are the only known animal to do this the same way as humans.

.... If they experience brain
lateralisation (and there is no reason why they wouldn't) then there
is a good chance that they would experience the same things / issues
as humans do.

https://www.sciencedirect.com/scienc...66432810000100
https://www.sciencedirect.com/scienc...76635702001614
https://www.sciencedirect.com/scienc...03347211002284
https://link.springer.com/article/10...071-008-0199-3
https://www.sciencedirect.com/scienc...03347211002284
https://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/....1002/wcs.100#

Yes I know this is what makes them more like humans having lived with humans and shared lives with humans for 10k + years.

Dogs appear more stupid and are more inteligent generly speaking of course.

Both dogs and cats lick themselves clean

Most animals with fur do, and girafes use their tongue to clean theire ears and nose no other animal can do that.

but I don't think that would
be appropriate for test tubes. They can probably train Monkeys to do
that though.

they probbbaly have as they are more like humans than even dogs, but cats aren;t like dogs, you need to understand the differnce.
Itls rather like trying to train an elephant to fly.

Cheers, T i m

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 06/08/2019 19:52, Adrian Caspersz wrote:
On 06/08/2019 18:53, ARW wrote:
Any recommendations for one?

Two cats and the owner wants no aliens in the house.

There was someone who used to spam newsgroups with such a product
sometime ago. So not a recommendation no matter what that is.

I'd go DIY, some sort of two-factor authentication.

i.e.
Â*Â*Â*Â*1. machine learning, so that what looks like a cat is identified as
being a cat,
Â*Â*Â*Â*2. having a microchip.

A laser to vaporise subjects that fail that would be a natural upgrade.

Specsaver advert solution ?
Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

[...]

Not their own ears, those of other giraffes.

and nose no other animal can do that.

but I don't think that would
be appropriate for test tubes. They can probably train Monkeys to do
that though.

they probbbaly have as they are more like humans than even dogs, but cats
aren;t like dogs, you need to understand the differnce.
Itls rather like trying to train an elephant to fly.

Cheers, T i m

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Thu, 8 Aug 2019 06:07:03 +1000, cantankerous trolling geezer Rodent

FLUSH another 144 !!! lines of absolute bull****

cretin from Oz:
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Brian Gaff wrote

You can get readers for the chips, but I do not know the range. I'd look
at those and see if they generate a signal of some sort. I saw something
a couple of years go on Country file where a farmer had an automated
cattle sorter that used rfid to move a metal grille so certain animals
went one way and others the other way.

And plenty of automated dairys read the chip on the
cow and tailor the feed to the individual animal while
its milked and weigh each animal and record that too.

On 06/08/2019 18:53, ARW wrote:
Any recommendations for one?

Two cats and the owner wants no aliens in the house.

There was someone who used to spam newsgroups with such a product
sometime ago. So not a recommendation no matter what that is.

I'd go DIY, some sort of two-factor authentication.

i.e.
1. machine learning, so that what looks like a cat is identified as being
a cat,
2. having a microchip.

A laser to vaporise subjects that fail that would be a natural upgrade.

--
Adrian C

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Thu, 8 Aug 2019 06:23:27 +1000, cantankerous trolling geezer Rodent

And plenty of automated dairys read the chip on the
cow and tailor the feed to the individual animal while
its milked and weigh each animal and record that too.

Isn't that how they feed you lonely senile pig in your old people's home,
senile Rodent?

--
Richard addressing Rot Speed:
MID:
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Wednesday, 7 August 2019 12:10:17 UTC+1, whisky-dave wrote:
On Wednesday, 7 August 2019 01:34:07 UTC+1, tabby wrote:
On Tuesday, 6 August 2019 18:53:37 UTC+1, ARW wrote:

Any recommendations for one?

Two cats and the owner wants no aliens in the house.

the reviews I read say nothing but problems. Delays in responding,

That can be a problem for some cats.

noise when opening spooks the cats,

you can turn the bleep off.

bleeping has nothing to do with it

electronic control only works one way,

Rubbish, you can set it in many ways, even depending on time of day, well on my one. Handy if yuo donl;t want you cat going out at night or whatever.

whoosh

Try downloading the manual and read that before buying to check if worried

whoosh

cats need to be trained to use it... buy with caution.

So do humans,

don't think I've ever encountered a human trained to use a catflap

if a cat can use an ordinary flap then it's liklely to be able to use a microchip version.

whoosh. As ever.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Wed, 07 Aug 2019 04:10:14 -0700, whisky-dave wrote:

noise when opening spooks the cats,

you can turn the bleep off.

Missed the point as usual. The noise is from the motor winding the latch
in and out. Our cats soon got used to it though.

electronic control only works one way,

Rubbish, you can set it in many ways, even depending on time of day,
well on my one. Handy if yuo donl;t want you cat going out at night or
whatever.

Missed the point again. I didn't buy a Pet Porte because at the time it
only denied access *in one direction* - in. I wanted to control the cats
going out, too. They gave some meaky mouthed reply that an add-on would
be available soon - but were unwilling to give a time frame. Then I
discovered that the company was being run by someone who didn't have a
good reputation in another newsgroup - although I think it changed hands
in the end.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Wednesday, 7 August 2019 21:07:14 UTC+1, Rod Speed wrote:

Both dogs and cats lick themselves clean

Most animals with fur do, and girafes use their tongue to clean theire
ears

Not their own ears, those of other giraffes.

No their own ears ****wit their tongues are up to 20" in length they can even place them over their own heads to the other side.

https://quizzclub.com/trivia/a-giraf...e/answer/1298/

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Thursday, 8 August 2019 10:43:54 UTC+1, wrote:
On Wednesday, 7 August 2019 12:10:17 UTC+1, whisky-dave wrote:
On Wednesday, 7 August 2019 01:34:07 UTC+1, tabby wrote:
On Tuesday, 6 August 2019 18:53:37 UTC+1, ARW wrote:

Any recommendations for one?

Two cats and the owner wants no aliens in the house.

the reviews I read say nothing but problems. Delays in responding,

That can be a problem for some cats.

noise when opening spooks the cats,

you can turn the bleep off.

bleeping has nothing to do with it

yes it has that's why they included the ability to silence the bleep RTFM

electronic control only works one way,

Rubbish, you can set it in many ways, even depending on time of day, well on my one. Handy if yuo donl;t want you cat going out at night or whatever.

whoosh

that was the cat using the flap in any direction.

Try downloading the manual and read that before buying to check if worried

whoosh

you seem to have a problem with things going over yuor head.

cats need to be trained to use it... buy with caution.

So do humans,

don't think I've ever encountered a human trained to use a catflap

You obviously don't know anything about them, so yuo in particualkr would need to kn ow how to set them up.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Tencro-4-Wa.../dp/B0799HP3GH

4 Access Settings: Four independent models to lock with switches- swing out only, in only, both in and out, and fully locked, easy control of your pet's in and out

see you have no idea how to use them, what a ****wit yuo are, yuo can;t even read instructions.

if a cat can use an ordinary flap then it's liklely to be able to use a microchip version.

whoosh. As ever.

you seem to have some serve problem, get profesional help.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Thursday, 8 August 2019 12:47:32 UTC+1, Bob Eager wrote:
On Wed, 07 Aug 2019 04:10:14 -0700, whisky-dave wrote:

noise when opening spooks the cats,

you can turn the bleep off.

Missed the point as usual. The noise is from the motor winding the latch
in and out. Our cats soon got used to it though.

Most cats do, that is the point, and they don;t make that much noise either well mine didn't, but ti did jost more than a ratners ear ring I must admit.

electronic control only works one way,

Rubbish, you can set it in many ways, even depending on time of day,
well on my one. Handy if yuo donl;t want you cat going out at night or
whatever.

Missed the point again. I didn't buy a Pet Porte because at the time it
only denied access *in one direction* - in.

Really when was that, my one I got 10 years did.

I wanted to control the cats
going out, too. They gave some meaky mouthed reply that an add-on would
be available soon - but were unwilling to give a time frame.

Well there wasn;t much call for them at the time stonehenge was built.
But now yuo can get that option, and I had it on even my first Uchip cat flap which was the pet porte.

Then I
discovered that the company was being run by someone who didn't have a
good reputation in another newsgroup - although I think it changed hands
in the end.

No **** sherlock. Which milenoium are we now in ?

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article , briang1
@blueyonder.co.uk says...

Is it mains or battery powered, ie if the power fails does it still operate?
Brian

Ours is battery operated but it gives a low battery warning in
plenty of time so that you can change it while the flap is
still working properly.

--

Terry

---
https://www.avg.com

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"whisky-dave" wrote in message
On Wednesday, 7 August 2019 21:07:14 UTC+1, Rod Speed wrote:

Both dogs and cats lick themselves clean

Most animals with fur do, and girafes use their tongue to clean theire
ears

Not their own ears, those of other giraffes.

No their own ears ****wit their tongues are up to 20" in length they can
even place them over their own heads to the other side.

https://quizzclub.com/trivia/a-giraf...e/answer/1298/

Noted that you couldnt provide a video of a giraffe doing that.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Thursday, 8 August 2019 13:04:52 UTC+1, whisky-dave wrote:
On Thursday, 8 August 2019 10:43:54 UTC+1, tabby wrote:
On Wednesday, 7 August 2019 12:10:17 UTC+1, whisky-dave wrote:
On Wednesday, 7 August 2019 01:34:07 UTC+1, tabby wrote:
On Tuesday, 6 August 2019 18:53:37 UTC+1, ARW wrote:

Any recommendations for one?

Two cats and the owner wants no aliens in the house.

the reviews I read say nothing but problems. Delays in responding,

That can be a problem for some cats.

noise when opening spooks the cats,

you can turn the bleep off.

bleeping has nothing to do with it

yes it has that's why they included the ability to silence the bleep RTFM

nope, it has nothing to do with the issue whatever. The issue is the unlocking mechanism's noise

electronic control only works one way,

Rubbish, you can set it in many ways, even depending on time of day, well on my one. Handy if yuo donl;t want you cat going out at night or whatever.

whoosh

that was the cat using the flap in any direction.

whatever that means

Try downloading the manual and read that before buying to check if worried

whoosh

you seem to have a problem with things going over yuor head.

no I don't

cats need to be trained to use it... buy with caution.

So do humans,

don't think I've ever encountered a human trained to use a catflap

You obviously don't know anything about them,

bzzt

so yuo in particualkr would need to kn ow how to set them up.

I don't need to, cos I don't use an electronic one.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Tencro-4-Wa.../dp/B0799HP3GH

4 Access Settings: Four independent models to lock with switches- swing out only, in only, both in and out, and fully locked, easy control of your pet's in and out

those are the options for non-chip ones. Not the most relevant here. And fwiw not all flaps have those 4 options, some only have 2.

see you have no idea how to use them,

I've been using catflaps for a long old time now

what a ****wit yuo are, yuo can;t even read instructions.

I don't recall ever having had trouble doing that. Oh yes I do - I got instructions all in Chinese once. I can't read chinese.

if a cat can use an ordinary flap then it's liklely to be able to use a microchip version.

whoosh. As ever.

you seem to have some serve problem, get profesional help.

I have no problems with serving thanks.
But you clearly have problems with facts, basic logic, keeping it relevant, not being childish etc.

NT

Cat flaps John Rumm UK diy 22 March 12th 13 03:07 PM
Microchip cat flaps Bob Eager UK diy 19 May 28th 10 05:49 PM
An example of disgusting meaty flaps - 632082454.jpg (0/2) Terry F UK diy 0 March 12th 08 06:40 AM
electronic cat flaps Eigenvector Home Repair 19 June 8th 07 02:49 AM
Metric Doors and Cat flaps Quigs UK diy 4 January 23rd 05 10:14 PM