Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Long[ish], large bore shower hoses, why not?

I can find lots of large bore (11mm or 12mm) shower hoses, I can find
lots of 'long' (2.5 or 3 metre) shower hoses, but I can't find any
long large bore shower hoses. I'd have thought if you have a long
hose it's more likely to need to be large bore!

Can anyone suggest where I might find a large bore 2.5m shower hose?

--
Chris Green
·
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Chris Green formulated on Thursday :
I can find lots of large bore (11mm or 12mm) shower hoses, I can find
lots of 'long' (2.5 or 3 metre) shower hoses, but I can't find any
long large bore shower hoses. I'd have thought if you have a long
hose it's more likely to need to be large bore!

I thought long ones were illegal? I heard something about they hadn't
to be long enough, to be able to dip them under the water - chance if
the water went off, the could syphon foul water back into the mains..
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Thursday, 30 May 2019 17:16:04 UTC+1, Chris Green wrote:
Can anyone suggest where I might find a large bore 2.5m shower hose?

This is 2 metres

https://www.showerheadhosesmixers.co...t-shower-hose/

Could you use a coupler to join two lengths?

https://www.notjusttaps.co.uk/spares...-extender.html

They also say "We are able to supply special size shower hoses in any length up to 4 meters to special order. Please contact us to enquire." They do 11mm bore in 2 metres.

These people have a number of bores and lengths and say " we are a real company with a real factory where we make and design our products, just south of Birmingham in Redditch" so might be able to handle a custom job:

https://www.byretech.com/acatalog/Shower-Hoses.html

Owain
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Harry Bloomfield wrote:
Chris Green formulated on Thursday :
I can find lots of large bore (11mm or 12mm) shower hoses, I can find
lots of 'long' (2.5 or 3 metre) shower hoses, but I can't find any
long large bore shower hoses. I'd have thought if you have a long
hose it's more likely to need to be large bore!

I thought long ones were illegal? I heard something about they hadn't
to be long enough, to be able to dip them under the water - chance if
the water went off, the could syphon foul water back into the mains..

Anything from a metre up would quite happily dip into the water in our
bath (it's an 'over bath' shower I'm dealing with).

There seem lots of 2.5 and 3 metre long hoses, just not large bore
ones.

--
Chris Green
·
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 30/05/2019 18:52, Harry Bloomfield wrote:
Chris Green formulated on Thursday :
I can find lots of large bore (11mm or 12mm) shower hoses, I can find
lots of 'long' (2.5 or 3 metre) shower hoses, but I can't find any
long large bore shower hoses.* I'd have thought if you have a long
hose it's more likely to need to be large bore!

I thought long ones were illegal? I heard something about they hadn't to
be long enough, to be able to dip them under the water - chance if the
water went off, the could syphon foul water back into the mains..

You could always fit doublecheck valves in cases like that.

--
Cheers,

John.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 30/05/2019 18:52, Harry Bloomfield wrote:
Chris Green formulated on Thursday :
I can find lots of large bore (11mm or 12mm) shower hoses, I can find
lots of 'long' (2.5 or 3 metre) shower hoses, but I can't find any
long large bore shower hoses.* I'd have thought if you have a long
hose it's more likely to need to be large bore!

I thought long ones were illegal? I heard something about they hadn't to
be long enough, to be able to dip them under the water - chance if the
water went off, the could syphon foul water back into the mains..

They have to be short OR you need a double check valve.

In our case, as its fed from the loft tank, it is not going to syphon
back into the mains under any circumstances, so we don't bother with
check valves and the consequent flow reduction.

SteveW
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Do you need it to give a shower to a large bore as well? I thought the fact
that showers had a head that restricts water coming out might make a large
bore a bit pointless?
Brian

--
----- --
The Sofa of Brian Gaff...

Blind user, so no pictures please
Note this Signature is meaningless.!
"Chris Green" wrote in message
I can find lots of large bore (11mm or 12mm) shower hoses, I can find
lots of 'long' (2.5 or 3 metre) shower hoses, but I can't find any
long large bore shower hoses. I'd have thought if you have a long
hose it's more likely to need to be large bore!

Can anyone suggest where I might find a large bore 2.5m shower hose?

--
Chris Green
·

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Chris Green Wrote in message:
I can find lots of large bore (11mm or 12mm) shower hoses, I can find
lots of 'long' (2.5 or 3 metre) shower hoses, but I can't find any
long large bore shower hoses. I'd have thought if you have a long
hose it's more likely to need to be large bore!

Can anyone suggest where I might find a large bore 2.5m shower hose?

Has anyone asked why you need one? That's often a large part of
why "no-one" sells them...
--
Jim K

----Android NewsGroup Reader----
http://usenet.sinaapp.com/
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Friday, 31 May 2019 08:58:47 UTC+1, JimK wrote:
Has anyone asked why you need one? That's often a large part of
why "no-one" sells them...

He /says/ it's for washing the dog :-)

Owain

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Friday, 31 May 2019 08:54:24 UTC+1, Brian Gaff wrote:

Do you need it to give a shower to a large bore as well? I thought the fact
that showers had a head that restricts water coming out might make a large
bore a bit pointless?
Brian

I had a shower that wouldn't work ok until it got a large bore hose & head with lots of holes. Until then the cold pressure was pushing back on the hot feed.

NT
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Jim K.. wrote:
Wrote in message:
On Friday, 31 May 2019 08:58:47 UTC+1, JimK wrote:
Has anyone asked why you need one? That's often a large part of
why "no-one" sells them...

He /says/ it's for washing the dog :-)

Owain

(You think he means Shetland pony?)

We do have a horse but it wouldn't be that handy getting him up to the
bathroom.

The whole saga in the two threads is because I wanted a handy 'spray
on a trigger' head for the shower for hair washing and such.

First try was exactly that, a little trigger spray head, take off the
normal head, screw on the little trigger one and off you go. The
trouble is that the hose gets kinked with all the on-off of spray
heads and it's a bit of a faff swapping heads all the time.

So, first thought was a quicker and easier way to swap shower heads
but that seemed to be a bit of a non-starter.

Then I spotted the shower heads with an 'on-off' control, one of these
would provide both a 'normal' shower head hung on the wall and a
'spray on a trigger' one. So I have ordered one of these.

The 'long large bore hose' is just to replace the one that kinks and,
as we currently have a 2.5 metre long one and that's just right I was
looking for another the same length. The 'large bore' bit is because
this is a low pressure (tank in roof space, shower upstairs) system
and thus minimising the resistance is a 'good thing'.

OK everyone? :-)

--
Chris Green
·
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Friday, 31 May 2019 22:57:05 UTC+1, Harry Bloomfield wrote:
I have just rigged something up for washing the dogs outside on the
drive, and it works quite well...

When looking after two dogs, I found the lab was willing to go in the shower and have a warm wash.

The wimerarner refused (I think he hated the hissing noise of the electric shower) but was amenable to a cold hosepipe on the loggia.

Owain

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Harry Bloomfield wrote:

He is now getting a bit arthritic and too heavy for me to lift into the
bath, so when I spotted a dog bath in a charity shop, I grabbed it.
Brand new and unused, for 1/5th retail price.

It's made from an heavy duty plastic sheet, with a tubular metal frame
to support it and one end drops down to allow a dog to just walk in and
not cramped when they are in. It all folds down to fit in a quite small
carry case. Much easier washing them on the drive and they don't soak
the house with spray as they shake themselves.

My 88 year old mother is getting to the stage where lifting her medium
sized dog in and out of the bath is
getting quite difficult,she is fortunate in that some kind neighbours take
it out for exercise now she cannot but it does mean the dog sometimes comes
back grubby if it has been playing with their dogs in a field.
On Friday we spotted one of these in a pet supplies shop.

https://images.app.goo.gl/9UZi7nikpKETjom59

Looks a bit gimmicky to me and not all dogs would obligingly yet use it but
I wonder if anyone has used one or knows somebody who has.
A previous dog used to love being pressure washed which we discovered by
accident when he started attacking the jet of water, turned it down to
minimum and kept away from the eyes when washing him though the silly
bugger would still playfully bite the water jet. At least he got clean
teeth.

GH