Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Large bore heat shrink sleeving

Hi Chaps
I was investigating our kitchen extractor fan the other day and there is
a gap between the 4" circular ducting plastic and the top of the
extractor fan unit of about 4 ins (approx 100mm) which at present is
taped up using gaffer tape. This isn't much use at keeping grease out of
the cupboard over a long period (a couple of years in this case)

I'm guessing that during the initial fit the 90 deg angle rectangular to
round plastic fitting wouldn't fit into the cupboard from the top which
is why it has been cut off short.

My question is is there something like heat shrink sleeving at 4 or 5 in
diameter which could be used to successfully join the two bits of
ducting from the top of the extractor to the plastic ducting leading
outside rather than just gaffer tape which doesn't stick very well due
to everything being a bit greasy.

Any ideas where I might source this from?

Flexible plastic or rubber hose making a tight fit might also be acceptable.

dedics
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Mon, 20 Sep 2010 00:16:02 +0100, Ian & Hilda Dedic wrote:

[...]

How about the fittings for the soil pipe on toilet pans?

--
Use the BIG mirror service in the UK:
http://www.mirrorservice.org

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 20 Sep, 00:16, Ian & Hilda Dedic wrote:

My question is is there something like heat shrink sleeving at 4 or 5 in
diameter which could be used to successfully join the two bits of
ducting

Yes, and you can even get it as a flat sheet with a ziploc connection,
rather than as a tube. 3M sell it as part of underground cable
jointing kits.

Unfortunately the price is "prohibitive". I imagine this will still be
the case for any heatshrink that diameter.

I would suggest the classic gaffer tape.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 20/09/2010 03:39, Andy Dingley wrote:
On 20 Sep, 00:16, Ian& Hilda wrote:

My question is is there something like heat shrink sleeving at 4 or 5 in
diameter which could be used to successfully join the two bits of
ducting

Yes, and you can even get it as a flat sheet with a ziploc connection,
rather than as a tube. 3M sell it as part of underground cable
jointing kits.

You can also buy flat sheet with an adhesive join, although I've only
used it on 2" water barrel, to stop a minor leak in an airline joint.

Unfortunately the price is "prohibitive". I imagine this will still be
the case for any heatshrink that diameter.

Certainly that is my recollection.

I would suggest the classic gaffer tape.

I would use self-amalgamating tape over the top of a single wrap of
gaffer tape.

Colin Bignell

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 20/09/2010 09:14, Nightjar "cpb"@ insertmysurnamehere wrote:
[...]

ok thanks for that

best place for self amalgamating tape?
screwfix? or....?

dedics

Posted to uk.d-i-y

From: Ian & Hilda Dedic
Date: Mon, 20 Sep 2010 Time: 09:22:20

Somewhere like this:

http://www.moonraker.eu/advanced_sea...s=self+amalgam
ating+tape&Go=Go

--
Ian
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Mon, 20 Sep 2010 00:16:02 +0100, Ian & Hilda Dedic wrote:

Hi Chaps

Careful, there are some ladies here as well. B-)

I was investigating our kitchen extractor fan the other day and there is
a gap between the 4" circular ducting plastic and the top of the
extractor fan unit of about 4 ins (approx 100mm) which at present is
taped up using gaffer tape.

If I read that right you have gaffer tape bridging a 4" wide gap
between the outlet of the extractor (cooker hood?) and the inlet to
the ducting.

Think the best solution is a short bit of the flexable ducting you
can get from the sheds, cable tied to the outlet and the round inlet
of the ducting.

--
Cheers
Dave.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 20/09/2010 09:22, Ian & Hilda Dedic wrote:
[...]

Halfords used to sell it, with a reinforcing fabric overlay tape, as a
hose repair kit.

Colin Bignell

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 20/09/2010 11:22, Dave Liquorice wrote:
On Mon, 20 Sep 2010 00:16:02 +0100, Ian& Hilda Dedic wrote:

Hi Chaps

Careful, there are some ladies here as well. B-)

I was investigating our kitchen extractor fan the other day and there is
a gap between the 4" circular ducting plastic and the top of the
extractor fan unit of about 4 ins (approx 100mm) which at present is
taped up using gaffer tape.

If I read that right you have gaffer tape bridging a 4" wide gap
between the outlet of the extractor (cooker hood?) and the inlet to
the ducting.

Think the best solution is a short bit of the flexable ducting you
can get from the sheds, cable tied to the outlet and the round inlet
of the ducting.

yes, but I don't think I can get a cable tie around the plastic ducting
due to the 90 deg bend into rectangular conduit over the top of the
cupboard. The hole is very tight, which is why I thought heat shrink
sleeving would be a good move if I could get it.

I'll have to try something with self amalgamating tape (after
de-greasing everything so the gaffer tape will stick.A Lovely job for
the afternoon)

Thanks for all your suggestions guys.

dedics

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Ian & Hilda Dedic" wrote in message
[...]

B&Q and plenty of others sell flexy aluminum duct in 4" diam .... fit a
length of that and seal ends with pvc tape first, then a layer of gaffa tape
on top.

heat shrink bob UK diy 1 June 7th 10 03:18 PM
How to shrink heat shrink tubing? Geoffrey S. Mendelson[_2_] Electronics Repair 69 May 23rd 10 05:36 PM
Fitting large-bore mandrel to a smaller bore motor? _[_2_] Metalworking 6 August 26th 09 01:28 AM
Where get heat shrink tape in UK? Alix UK diy 52 July 21st 06 09:44 AM
Heat source for heat shrink David Nebenzahl Electronics Repair 21 May 9th 06 02:36 PM