Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Frustrated DIY person

Do you ever go to a public place and wish you could fix something before it
gets worse? Just been to a hospital.

Powered doors that have worn the hinges and the door is rubbing on the
floor.

Press down taps that don't progressively close and dribble from the top.

"Doors Closing" voice in lifts unclear - surely not a tape recording!

Nursing staff unable to wind up cables tidily.

Yes - I am a sad git who takes a screwdriver on holiday with me and a spare
washer for between the shower head and hose as they usually leak.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 15/02/2019 13:32, DerbyBorn wrote:
Do you ever go to a public place and wish you could fix something before it
gets worse? Just been to a hospital.

Powered doors that have worn the hinges and the door is rubbing on the
floor.

Press down taps that don't progressively close and dribble from the top.

"Doors Closing" voice in lifts unclear - surely not a tape recording!

Nursing staff unable to wind up cables tidily.

Yes - I am a sad git who takes a screwdriver on holiday with me and a spare
washer for between the shower head and hose as they usually leak.

Wherever I go I usually have a couple of small screwdrivers, some hex
keys and for some odd reason a drum key in my bag. Perhaps I'm hoping
I'll be at a gig and someone will call over the PA is there a guitar
tech in the house?

Ironically it's the drum key that's most often used: it's the right size
for bleeding radiator valves.

Nick
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article , Nick Odell
wrote:
[...]

My key ring has an MK key switch key on it.

--
from KT24 in Surrey, England
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Do you ever go to a public place and wish you could fix something before it
gets worse? Just been to a hospital.

Powered doors that have worn the hinges and the door is rubbing on the
floor.

Press down taps that don't progressively close and dribble from the top.

"Doors Closing" voice in lifts unclear - surely not a tape recording!

Nursing staff unable to wind up cables tidily.

Yes - I am a sad git who takes a screwdriver on holiday with me and a spare
washer for between the shower head and hose as they usually leak.

In 1981 when I was admitted to hospital with head injuries, the
student nurse would dutifully wake me every four hours and test my
pupil reflexes with a pen torch with a battery that could barely
sustain the dullest orange glow from the filament.

--
Graham.

%Profound_observation%
Posted to uk.d-i-y

on 15/02/2019, Graham. supposed :
In 1981 when I was admitted to hospital with head injuries, the
student nurse would dutifully wake me every four hours and test my
pupil reflexes with a pen torch with a battery that could barely
sustain the dullest orange glow from the filament.

Did you put her a set of new batteries in?

Posted to uk.d-i-y

DerbyBorn Wrote in message:
Do you ever go to a public place and wish you could fix something before it
gets worse? Just been to a hospital.

Powered doors that have worn the hinges and the door is rubbing on the
floor.

Press down taps that don't progressively close and dribble from the top.

"Doors Closing" voice in lifts unclear - surely not a tape recording!

Nursing staff unable to wind up cables tidily.

Yes - I am a sad git who takes a screwdriver on holiday with me and a spare
washer for between the shower head and hose as they usually leak.

:-) Do you take them home again at the end of the hol?
--
Jim K

----Android NewsGroup Reader----
http://usenet.sinaapp.com/
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Harry Bloomfield Wrote in message:
on 15/02/2019, Graham. supposed :
In 1981 when I was admitted to hospital with head injuries, the
student nurse would dutifully wake me every four hours and test my
pupil reflexes with a pen torch with a battery that could barely
sustain the dullest orange glow from the filament.

Did you put her a set of new batteries in?

Wink wink! Given half a chance?
--
Jim K

----Android NewsGroup Reader----
http://usenet.sinaapp.com/
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message , Jim K..
writes
DerbyBorn Wrote in message:

Yes - I am a sad git who takes a screwdriver on holiday with me and a spare
washer for between the shower head and hose as they usually leak.

:-) Do you take them home again at the end of the hol?

Heh. World's most travelled washer? Does it send a postcard from
holiday destinations worldwide? It definitely needs a dedicated FB page
:-)

--
Graeme
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Fri, 15 Feb 2019 14:31:59 +0000, charles wrote:

In article , Nick Odell
wrote:
[...]

I was just going to say that. So does mine.

Posted to uk.d-i-y
ARW ARW is offline

wrote:
[...]

But you need to file it down to fit a Click key switch.

I also in the car carry a meter box key.

--
Adam

Posted to uk.d-i-y
ARW ARW is offline

On 15/02/2019 18:20, Graeme wrote:
In message , Jim K..
writes
DerbyBorn Wrote in message:

Yes - I am a sad git who takes a screwdriver on holiday with me and a
spare
washer for between the shower head and hose as they usually leak.

:-) Do you take them home again at the end ofÂ* the hol?

Heh.Â* World's most travelled washer?Â* Does it send a postcard from
holiday destinations worldwide?Â* It definitely needs a dedicated FB page
:-)

Too late.

You could have done a blog on the hose washer for the last how many years?

You may now have missed out on on the chance of fame and fortune..........

--
Adam
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Graeme wrote in
:

In message , Jim
K.. writes
DerbyBorn Wrote in message:

Yes - I am a sad git who takes a screwdriver on holiday with me and
a spare washer for between the shower head and hose as they usually
leak.

:-) Do you take them home again at the end of the hol?

Heh. World's most travelled washer? Does it send a postcard from
holiday destinations worldwide? It definitely needs a dedicated FB
page
:-)

It lives in the zipped pocket of some trousers I always wear for flights!
Goes through the wash!
Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:
[...]

snap

--
from KT24 in Surrey, England
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Yes I can identify with your feelings.
The lift and doors particularly. What is the point of a speaking lift if it
sounds like a gagged ventriloquist?
Its actually digital normally, but the problem is either the speaker itself
or maybe the muck inside it
Doors in NHS, yes many many of those about. The annoying ones are those
which have a little lever at the top so the doors closing in the wrong order
is supposed to trip the other one to open enough for the first one to slip
behind to prevent draught. In fact what happens is it gets wedged part open
due to all the friction and the wind howls though the gap.

Brian

--
----- --
The Sofa of Brian Gaff...

Blind user, so no pictures please
Note this Signature is meaningless.!
"DerbyBorn" wrote in message
2.236...
Do you ever go to a public place and wish you could fix something before
it
gets worse? Just been to a hospital.

Powered doors that have worn the hinges and the door is rubbing on the
floor.

Press down taps that don't progressively close and dribble from the top.

"Doors Closing" voice in lifts unclear - surely not a tape recording!

Nursing staff unable to wind up cables tidily.

Yes - I am a sad git who takes a screwdriver on holiday with me and a
spare
washer for between the shower head and hose as they usually leak.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Hmm, one does have o be careful though. the cops do not like you carrying
screwdrivers in your pockets I find. I imagine its all the stabbings that
have been in the news. Which reminds me my screwdriver cosy for the sharp
end has yet again vanished....
Brian

--
----- --

"Nick Odell" wrote in message
[...]

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message , Bob Eager
writes

wrote:
[...]

Mine has a key that seems to open any Thames Water compounds I have come
across. Also one issued by Herts. Highways for their barrier padlocks.

--
Tim Lamb
Posted to uk.d-i-y
ARW ARW is offline

On 15/02/2019 22:51, charles wrote:

wrote:
[...]

I must start to fill the car up with crap now that I have one.

Trolley jack, tow rope and jump leads are already in there. The hi viz
vests are in the washer ready to go in.

So I need a couple of screwdrivers and some snips. Ill probably get a
tyre inflator as well.

Care to mention anything else I have missed?

--
Adam
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Brian Gaff" wrote in
:

Yes I can identify with your feelings.
The lift and doors particularly. What is the point of a speaking lift
if it
sounds like a gagged ventriloquist?
Its actually digital normally, but the problem is either the speaker
itself
or maybe the muck inside it
Doors in NHS, yes many many of those about. The annoying ones are
those
which have a little lever at the top so the doors closing in the wrong
order is supposed to trip the other one to open enough for the first
one to slip behind to prevent draught. In fact what happens is it
gets wedged part open due to all the friction and the wind howls
though the gap.

Brian

But it needs someone to raise paperwork and assign a budget holder to get
it fixed!
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 16/02/2019 10:09, ARW wrote:

Care to mention anything else I have missed?

a bar of chocolate for (a) the g/f while you sort out the flat or
whatever else you've done wrong; or (b) you when it's midnight and the
breakdown service tell you it's a 2 hour wait?

and a bottle of water

--
Robin
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Graham. wrote:

In 1981 when I was admitted to hospital with head injuries, the
student nurse would dutifully wake me every four hours and test my
pupil reflexes with a pen torch with a battery that could barely
sustain the dullest orange glow from the filament.

Mum ended-up in hospital recently and needed a ring cutting off, the
cutter was powered by 4xAA that were flat it stalled every time it
touched the ring, a second battery pack was also flat, I offered to go
and buy some from the WH Smiths in the foyer ...

Posted to uk.d-i-y
ARW ARW is offline

On 16/02/2019 10:33, Robin wrote:
On 16/02/2019 10:09, ARW wrote:

Care to mention anything else I have missed?

a bar of chocolate for (a) the g/f while you sort out the flat or
whatever else you've done wrong; or (b) you when it's midnight and the
breakdown service tell you it's a 2 hour wait?

and a bottle of water

That's it. I have no breakdown cover. Time to call the AA and restart my
membership. I had it suspended when I got a works van. I am of course
ready to haggle with the renewal costs (or go elsewhere)

--
Adam
Posted to uk.d-i-y
ARW ARW is offline

On 16/02/2019 10:47, Andy Burns wrote:
Graham. wrote:

In 1981 when I was admitted to hospital with head injuries, the
student nurse would dutifully wake me every four hours and test my
pupil reflexes with a pen torch with a battery that could barely
sustain the dullest orange glow from the filament.

Mum ended-up in hospital recently and needed a ring cutting off, the
cutter was powered by 4xAA that were flat it stalled every time it
touched the ring, a second battery pack was also flat, I offered to go
and buy some from the WH Smiths in the foyer ...

That would have been cheap.

--
Adam
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sat, 16 Feb 2019 10:33:56 +0000, Robin wrote:

On 16/02/2019 10:09, ARW wrote:

Care to mention anything else I have missed?

a bar of chocolate for (a) the g/f while you sort out the flat or
whatever else you've done wrong; or (b) you when it's midnight and the
breakdown service tell you it's a 2 hour wait?

and a bottle of water

And one of those folding things to **** in when you're stuck in traffic.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:
[...]

Battery rattle gun and an electric jack

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 2/16/2019 5:09 AM, ARW wrote:

I must start to fill the car up with crap now that I have one.

Trolley jack, tow rope and jump leads are already in there. The hi viz
vests are in the washer ready to go in.

So I need a couple of screwdrivers and some snips. Ill probably get a
tyre inflator as well.

Care to mention anything else I have missed?

I gave each of my kids something like this -

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Military-Carrying-Multi-function-Survival-Hammering/dp/B075KHN4JB/

Doesn't take up much space, and can be very useful.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 16/02/2019 10:09, ARW wrote:

Care to mention anything else I have missed?

a bar of chocolate for (a) the g/f while you sort out the flat or
whatever else you've done wrong; or (b) you when it's midnight and the
breakdown service tell you it's a 2 hour wait?

and a bottle of water

That's it. I have no breakdown cover. Time to call the AA and restart my
membership. I had it suspended when I got a works van. I am of course
ready to haggle with the renewal costs (or go elsewhere)

AutoAid?

+1
--
Jim K

----Android NewsGroup Reader----
http://usenet.sinaapp.com/
Posted to uk.d-i-y
ARW ARW is offline

On 16/02/2019 10:09, ARW wrote:

Care to mention anything else I have missed?

a bar of chocolate for (a) the g/f while you sort out the flat or
whatever else you've done wrong; or (b) you when it's midnight and the
breakdown service tell you it's a 2 hour wait?

and a bottle of water

That's it. I have no breakdown cover. Time to call the AA and restart my
membership. I had it suspended when I got a works van. I am of course
ready to haggle with the renewal costs (or go elsewhere)

AutoAid?

+1

But have either of you had to call them?

The AA were always quick when the van broke down/would not start/caught
fire/ gf spun her car on the A64 etc.

I am hoping the Skoda does non of that.

--
Adam
Posted to uk.d-i-y

DerbyBorn wrote:
Do you ever go to a public place and wish you could fix something
before it gets worse? Just been to a hospital.

Powered doors that have worn the hinges and the door is rubbing on the
floor.

Press down taps that don't progressively close and dribble from the
top.

"Doors Closing" voice in lifts unclear - surely not a tape recording!

Nursing staff unable to wind up cables tidily.

Yes - I am a sad git who takes a screwdriver on holiday with me and a
spare washer for between the shower head and hose as they usually
leak.

Travelodge on a very hot night. The window only opened slightly, there were
restricting brackets.
Next week took Alan Keys, not one of them would fit.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

ARW Wrote in message:

On 16/02/2019 10:09, ARW wrote:

Care to mention anything else I have missed?

a bar of chocolate for (a) the g/f while you sort out the flat or
whatever else you've done wrong; or (b) you when it's midnight and the
breakdown service tell you it's a 2 hour wait?

and a bottle of water

That's it. I have no breakdown cover. Time to call the AA and restart my
membership. I had it suspended when I got a works van. I am of course
ready to haggle with the renewal costs (or go elsewhere)

AutoAid?

+1

But have either of you had to call them?

Ah er no.

The AA were always quick when the van broke down/would not start/caught
fire/ gf spun her car on the A64 etc.

I'm not sure they even attempt road side fixes, but I pay them for
the "get you off the motorway & to a garage" service plus some
consequential expenses.

I am hoping the Skoda does non of that.

--
Jim K

----Android NewsGroup Reader----
http://usenet.sinaapp.com/
Posted to uk.d-i-y

DerbyBorn wrote:
Do you ever go to a public place and wish you could fix something
before it gets worse? Just been to a hospital.

Powered doors that have worn the hinges and the door is rubbing on
the floor.

Press down taps that don't progressively close and dribble from the
top.

"Doors Closing" voice in lifts unclear - surely not a tape
recording! Nursing staff unable to wind up cables tidily.

Yes - I am a sad git who takes a screwdriver on holiday with me and
a spare washer for between the shower head and hose as they usually
leak.

Travelodge on a very hot night. The window only opened slightly,
there were restricting brackets.
Next week took Alan Keys, not one of them would fit.

No air con?

Nope. Do Travelodges have air con?
Gaffer did not like the cost of Travelodges too very much. I made him a LOT
of money. He once booked me a "nice little bed and breakfast". ********, I
sat outside for over an hour waiting for the bitch to arrive. That was the
last time he booked me into a "nice little bed and breakfast".

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 16/02/2019 10:09, ARW wrote:

Care to mention anything else I have missed?

Stiff wire. You can mend most things with stiff wire.

Bill
Posted to uk.d-i-y
ARW ARW is offline

DerbyBorn wrote:
[...]

Some Travelodges now have air con.

I once did a B&B where you had to be in for 10pm as the doors would be
locked. I am not sure who won the argument at 2 am but I did sleep in
the place for the night.

I am unsure if I was banned from stopping there again before I refused
to stop there again.

--
Adam
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 16/02/2019 10:09, ARW wrote:

Care to mention anything else I have missed?

a bar of chocolate for (a) the g/f while you sort out the flat or
whatever else you've done wrong; or (b) you when it's midnight and the
breakdown service tell you it's a 2 hour wait?

and a bottle of water

That's it. I have no breakdown cover. Time to call the AA and restart my
membership. I had it suspended when I got a works van. I am of course
ready to haggle with the renewal costs (or go elsewhere)

AutoAid?

Are there any breakdown recovery services that just charge you per job,
with a nominal membership fee? I was with the AA for 30 years (private
and and company), and only called them out twice.

--
Max Demian

Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:
[...]

Extendable socket arm to make it easier to get
the nuts loose when they have been done up
using a rattle gun in the tyre place.
https://www.aliexpress.com/item/WINO...424c4dZY9 Dy9

Electric scissor jack.

Pig trailer to keep the teenager in when he gets a bit stroppy.
https://alphadogtrailers.co.uk/wp-co...017/06/003.jpg

Posted to uk.d-i-y

I've called them out one Sat night in Leeds last December when exhaust came apart after flexi/downpipe. Withun 20mins, 1st truck said he would take me to Hartshead on M62 to wait for another to Manchester. By end of M621 I got a call from another outfit sent to the breakdown, so 1st truck took me back into Leeds and car was swapped between trucks. I recommend based on my experience. Think I paid £48 for 15 months.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 16/02/2019 10:09, ARW wrote:

Care to mention anything else I have missed?

Mattress?

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 16/02/2019 10:55, ARW wrote:

I have no breakdown cover. Time to call the AA and restart my
membership.

Noooooo! AutoAid. And buy it through TopCashBack for the discount.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 16/02/2019 10:09, ARW wrote:

Care to mention anything else I have missed?

a bar of chocolate for (a) the g/f while you sort out the flat or
whatever else you've done wrong; or (b) you when it's midnight and the
breakdown service tell you it's a 2 hour wait?

and a bottle of water

That's it. I have no breakdown cover. Time to call the AA and restart my
membership. I had it suspended when I got a works van. I am of course
ready to haggle with the renewal costs (or go elsewhere)

AutoAid?

+1

But have either of you had to call them?

Wife (we're both covered on the one policy in whatever we're driving)
and daughters have. No problems.