Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Frustrated with Suburban Water Systems.

A few weeks ago, i posted a message about black rocks {maybe iron
sulfide}coming in through our water lines and clogging up the seals in
the toilets and preventing them from shutting off. They are also
getting into the cartridge of the bathtub valve preventing the valve
from shutting off all the way causing the tub to leak about 15 gallons
of water per day.I called Suburban Water Systems in West Covina, Calif
to have them pick up a sample of these little rocks to see what they
were and where they are coming from.It has been two weeks and no calls
from them.Perhaps they know it's a problem with them,don't want to
admit it.I've left messages and no response from them. A plumber
replaced the fill valves in the toilets and carridge in the tub. All
were fine for three days, but not now. He does not know what the rocks
are or where they originated from.I'm reluctant to call another
plumber. Has anyone had a problem like this before? I flushed out the
lines, but the rocks keep coming back. They are several sizes larger
than a grain of sand. I even called my city hall. They called Suburban
too and did not get a response from them. Who can i contact to get this
matter taken care of? I just don't know if it is coming from our lines
or the cities.Thanks.

Posted to alt.home.repair
tom

Contact that plumber again, and tell them you'd like a whole-house
water filter installed. This should, with reasonable maintenance,
eliminate debris from the city's water supply, allowing you to narrow
down your search to your own piping. Tom

Posted to alt.home.repair
buffalobill

Coincidence?:
"COVINA, CA - Suburban Water Systems is currently looking to hire a
quality assurance manager.
The qualified individual will oversee and supervise water treatment
plants operations and maintenance activities as well as prepare water
quality summaries and reports.
Five years of progressive experience in performing work in the area of
water production, water quality and environmental engineering is
required.
In addition, a bachelor's degree from an accredited university or seven
years of directly related experience, is necessary. "
http://waternet.com/news.asp?mode=4&N_ID=59801

Posted to alt.home.repair
buffalobill

who is affected on your block?
what: is the total amount of leakage dollars.
whe are the homeowners who are affected?
when: does this occur? time of day, day of week, during nearby
construction hours?
why:
how: a good old time plumber and a cranky attorney general.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Thanks for your reply. I didn't think about contacting the health dept.
I will do that tomorrow. Regards, Bob.
Li wrote:
Also contact the health department in your area (probably state-level) and
complain. Request that they inspect the system. They probably also have
sample data on the source water that can give you a better idea of what is
going on. Safe drinking water standards (federal) have a limit on the
amount of dissolved solids in potable water. Your district may have been
busting those limits. Note this applies to public water systems and not
necessarily to private wells.
Liz
wrote in message
ups.com...
[...]

Posted to alt.home.repair
dnoyeB

wrote:
[...]

If you were not in such a warm climate I would suggest they had a pipe
rupture and some debris got into the pipe while they were fixing it.
They rupture all the time here in Michigan winter, not sure about CA.

--
Thank you,