Posted to alt.home.repair
uz

Default Very scared and frustrated

We remodelled our bathroom (home built in 73) last year in june. There
was linoleum flooring in the bathroom about 24 square feet that was
removed as well as the ductwork that we cut a piece of that contained
asbestos. We didn't know at that time and therefore no precaution was
taken. After a month or so i found out that the the duct work contained
asbestos and the linoleum may also have so i had some professionals
come in and vacuum my house with a HEPA vacuum. I'm now so scared that
the asbestos may still be in my house, on my clothes in my closets, on
our beds etc. I have a two year old in the house and I'm scared to
death. I feel I have jeapordized his health. I'm literally obsessed by
these thoughts and can't think of anything else. My husband is totally
oblivious to this. Even last year when I got the house vacuumed he
thought i was over reacting to the situation. What should I do now? is
my house totally contaminated? I need help!!!!!!

Posted to alt.home.repair
DK

On 15 Jun 2006 09:41:20 -0700, "uz" wrote:

[...]

I'd cover every surface with new paint, tile or whatever. I'd wash
all clothes and I'd dry clean those that can't be washed. I'd buy a
good hepa filter - about $400.

Then, I'd relax and enjoy what little life I may have left.

Posted to alt.home.repair
Art

For decades people didn't know a thing about asbestos and it was everywhere.
Almost all are still alive. Asbestos workers, particularly ones who smoked
and worked in clouds of asbestos dust, are the ones who had most of the
problems. If you did not sand the floor off you probably didn't cause much
of an issue. Who knows what was done in the house before you even moved in.
That should give you something to really worry about. We used to play with
mercury when I was a kid. Last week they closed a school and homes because
kids found mercury to play with. What about the homes me and my kid friends
used mercury in when we were kids. Shouldn't all homes be checked? I
would thoroughly vaccuum and if still worried, call in a company that checks
for asbestos contamination. But if you find it, when you go to sell, in
most states you have to report it. By the way, what about the rest of your
duct work. If the asbestos is flaking and in your ductwork, your air is
blowing by it right now.

"uz" wrote in message
oups.com...
[...]

Posted to alt.home.repair
dadiOH

uz wrote:
[...]

Pay attention to your husband.

--

dadiOH
____________________________

dadiOH's dandies v3.06...

Posted to alt.home.repair
dadiOH

dadiOH wrote:
uz wrote:
[...]

Also, there is no asbestos in linoleum. As far as your ducts go, exactly
where and in what form was the "asbestos"? As far as fear goes, would it
help to know that asbestos doesn't cut down people like the grim reaper's
scythe? That it takes years of heavy, pretty much continuous exposure to
loose particles to be detrimental (if then)?

--

dadiOH
____________________________

dadiOH's dandies v3.06...

Posted to alt.home.repair
uz

Art thanks for your reassuring reply. We got the duct work changed as
soon as we found out and got an asbestos abatement company to do it.
They even did air samples after the duct work was taken out and it was
found at .002/cubic or something which was considered as equivalent to
ambient air levels which i believe is normal in the air. Anyway thanks
again for your reassuring reply.

Art wrote:
[...]

"uz" wrote in message
oups.com...
[...]

Posted to alt.home.repair
Tim Killian

DK wrote:
[...]

Did you go to school in the 1950s? Every school had asbestos pipe
insulation and some even had asbestos in the ceiling tiles. Like radon,
asbestos is one of those scare words that makes otherwise sane people
freak out and do foolish things.

Since we're not dying by the millions from asbestos-related lung
diseases, I suspect the threat from this substance is highly
exaggerated. IOW, quit worrying, be happy.
Posted to alt.home.repair
EXT

I went to school in the '50s. We were given loose asbestos powder to mix
with water to make modeling material for art class. I can also remember
removing an old gravity hot air furnace from our house and stripping off all
the asbestos paper that the pipes were wrapped in.

I am still alive, 65, with good lungs. Don't worry, if you have cleaned up,
vacuumed and generally kept a clean house there is nothing to worry about.
The floor covering MAY have had asbestos but it would have been sealed in
the vinyl, nothing to escape. The duct may have released some, but your
cleaning would have removed the dust. Don't fret about the baby, we all
lived through much worse before they decided it was bad for you.

"Tim Killian" wrote in message
. ..
DK wrote:
[...]

Posted to alt.home.repair
uz

EXT thanks for yet another reassuring reply. I didn't go to school in
the 50s but i also remember using asbestos sheets over burners for
chemistry experiments in the late 70s in school. I guess I worry more
because of my baby and what I may have put him through but you're right
so many people up until a couple of decades ago were exposed to it
before they decided it was bad for us.

thanks again for the reassuring words.

DK wrote:
[...]

Posted to alt.home.repair
Steve B

"uz" wrote in message
oups.com...
[...]

Yes, you do! Make an appointment with a psychologist immediately. The
asbestos is not a big deal, and you are making one out of it.

Now, what to do about the asbestos:

Asbestos is dangerous when inhaled. It gets into the air usually during
construction or demolition, and looks like dust or little slivers of light
floating. Once the dust settles, it just sits there until disturbed.

Hiring a cleaning crew would be the best thing. After they remove any loose
dust, the rest will go away as you wash clothes, dust things, etc. Get a
couple of good air purifiers, as they are just a good thing anyway to remove
dust and pollen.

You had a small bathroom rebuilt. If you had your living, dining, and
family rooms and hallway all worked on, I would be a little more concerned.

You are wise to be careful. But just have it cleaned, go see your shrink
and find out why you reacted so strongly, and don't worry because it's not
really a big deal.

Your behavior is a tipoff. This time it is a little asbestos. Next time it
will be whatever is on Oprah or 48 hours, or whatever.

Be sure, be safe. But you have a much higher chance of an airliner falling
on your house than getting significant asbestos exposure from a house built
in the 70s.

Steve

Posted to alt.home.repair
HeyBub

Art wrote:
For decades people didn't know a thing about asbestos and it was
everywhere. Almost all are still alive. Asbestos workers,
particularly ones who smoked and worked in clouds of asbestos dust,
are the ones who had most of the problems.

Nope. Not even those who replaced asbestos brake pads all day long for
years. The only occupational group that was ever affected were asbestos
miners.

Posted to alt.home.repair

uz wrote:
[...]

That can be taken various ways. First, relax. If you ever thought you
were perfectly secure, it ain't so.

USCG has done and published many studies on the dangers of asbestos.
Distilled: particles from about 1/2 to about 1.5 micron across can get
into the lungs and not be expelled. To be exposed to much of that, you
need to be breaking up dry asbestos. Simple water spray reduces
concentration of such particles to zero. Again, relax. You're going to
die from something, and it should be enjoyable, not result from
hypertension.

Posted to alt.home.repair
Art

"HeyBub" wrote in message
Art wrote:
For decades people didn't know a thing about asbestos and it was
everywhere. Almost all are still alive. Asbestos workers,
particularly ones who smoked and worked in clouds of asbestos dust,
are the ones who had most of the problems.

Nope. Not even those who replaced asbestos brake pads all day long for
years. The only occupational group that was ever affected were asbestos
miners.

Those are the only ones who won the big law suits. But my wife's uncle just
died of asbestos lung disease.... he worked around it in a factory for 30
years.

Posted to alt.home.repair
Salmon Egg

On 6/15/06 9:41 AM, in article
, "uz"
wrote:

[...]

You have to realize that there is an asbestos-industrial complex making
money off of scared people. Most of the danger homeowners face from asbestos
will come from stirring it up. Give up smoking, and most of hazard will
disappear right off the bat. The people most harmed by asbestos are those
who smoked those little cigars that they had for lighting welding torches.
Moreover, there are two forms of asbestos that were used most. About 80% is
of a type that is rather benign compared to the other one. The type can
easily be determined looking at a fiber of the material under a polarizing
microscope. My suggestion is don't worry.

Next, it is time to pooh pooh the radon-industrial complex.

Bill
-- Ferme le Bush

Posted to alt.home.repair
dadiOH

Guy Aerts wrote:
On Thu, 15 Jun 2006 17:16:39 GMT, "dadiOH"
wrote:

dadiOH wrote:
Also, there is no asbestos in linoleum.

Actually, there was, and in vinyl flooring too. The Vinyl stuff was
usually labeled as VAT, for "Vinyl-Asbestos Tile"

Linoleum is made of linseed oil and wood (or cork) powder applied over a
backing. You know something that says otherwise?

--

dadiOH
____________________________

dadiOH's dandies v3.06...

Posted to alt.home.repair

The NEXT biggie will be treated wood with guys in moon suits removing
it...........

Heck the feds are mandating scrubbers on bakeries because the smell of
bread baking is supoposedly dangerous..........

Anyone who smokes today is a complete fool

Posted to alt.home.repair
Jim McLaughlin

Flat assed wrong. Shipyard workers who worked on lots of Navy ships from
the '30s to the '70s.

--
Jim McLaughlin

Reply address is deliberately munged.
If you really need to reply directly, try:
jimdotmclaughlinatcomcastdotcom

And you know it is a dotnet not a dotcom
address.
"HeyBub" wrote in message
Art wrote:
For decades people didn't know a thing about asbestos and it was
everywhere. Almost all are still alive. Asbestos workers,
particularly ones who smoked and worked in clouds of asbestos dust,
are the ones who had most of the problems.

Nope. Not even those who replaced asbestos brake pads all day long for
years. The only occupational group that was ever affected were asbestos
miners.

Posted to alt.home.repair
Li

What's really funny is that people run around wearing asbestos everyday and
admire how beautiful it is. One form of asbestos worn frequently as jewelry
is Tiger's Eye. I just love trotting that out and watching people's eyes
goggle. I'm a lapidary and I do take extra precautions when cutting
asbestos containing stones. Once polished and set though, they are
perfectly safe. Well, they are safe in the rough form too but grinding can
lead to problems.

oups.com...

DK wrote:
[...]

Posted to alt.home.repair
Captain America

On 15 Jun 2006 09:41:20 -0700, "uz" wrote:

What should I do now? is
my house totally contaminated? I need help!!!!!!

5 gallons of gas and a match should solve your problem quite nicely.
Posted to alt.home.repair
Art

Lots of people use the term linoleum incorrectly and are referring to much
more popular floor covering containing asbestos.

wrote:

dadiOH wrote:
Also, there is no asbestos in linoleum.

Actually, there was, and in vinyl flooring too. The Vinyl stuff was
usually labeled as VAT, for "Vinyl-Asbestos Tile"

Linoleum is made of linseed oil and wood (or cork) powder applied over a
backing. You know something that says otherwise?

--

dadiOH
____________________________

dadiOH's dandies v3.06...

Posted to alt.home.repair
digitalmaster

"HeyBub" wrote in message
Art wrote:
For decades people didn't know a thing about asbestos and it was
everywhere. Almost all are still alive. Asbestos workers,
particularly ones who smoked and worked in clouds of asbestos dust,
are the ones who had most of the problems.

Nope. Not even those who replaced asbestos brake pads all day long for
years. The only occupational group that was ever affected were asbestos
miners.

insulators who installed and replaced pipe insulation got messed up by it
too.

Posted to alt.home.repair
Don Hard

[...]

You have bo choice now. You must burn the house and everything
inside. Then take a gun and commit suicide and kill everyone else
that has ever entered that house.
Posted to alt.home.repair
mm

On Thu, 15 Jun 2006 16:50:19 GMT, DK wrote:

I'd cover every surface with new paint, tile or whatever. I'd wash

I wouldn't paint or tile. I would wash off the surfaces, or dust with
a damp rag or something that would use static to hold the dust in
place. I might wear an asbestos effective dust mask when doing this,
and send the kid somewhere else. Then I'd open the windows, put input
and output fans in them, at opposite ends of the house, and vent the
house while I went shopping, or to work. It will float around, little
will find anyone else because there is almost none left in the house
alreadyd, and be washed into the ground by the rain.

all clothes and I'd dry clean those that can't be washed. I'd buy a
good hepa filter - about $400.

I wonder if a toy microscope is enough to examine a filter and see if
there is any asbestos on it. If not, maybe one could borrow a
microcope or buy one at a pawn shop, and sell it for not much loss.
But I don't think this is necessary at all. Just for the compulsive or
curious.

Then, I'd relax and enjoy what little life I may have left.

Posted to alt.home.repair
mm

On Thu, 15 Jun 2006 15:08:38 -0500, "HeyBub"
wrote:

Art wrote:
For decades people didn't know a thing about asbestos and it was
everywhere. Almost all are still alive. Asbestos workers,
particularly ones who smoked and worked in clouds of asbestos dust,
are the ones who had most of the problems.

Nope. Not even those who replaced asbestos brake pads all day long for
years. The only occupational group that was ever affected were asbestos
miners.

I believe that. It might be compared to the guano miners of Chile,
who do or did go blind after a few years**. Yet millions of people
walk by pigion doodoo on the sidewalk all the time without going
blind.

**Yet took/take the jobs anyhow, knowing they would probably? go
blind, because they needed the money.

Posted to alt.home.repair
mm

On Fri, 16 Jun 2006 00:32:11 GMT, "Art"
wrote:

Lots of people use the term linoleum incorrectly and are referring to much
more popular floor covering containing asbestos.

Yes, I think the standard name around Baltimore is "vinyl linoleum".
It didnt' take me long to learn that the word linoleum there only
means that it comes in wide sheets, unlike vinyl tile that comes in
12" or 9" squares.

However I don't think vinyl anything contains asbestos anymore. When
did the OP's floor go in.

There used to be something called asbestos tile, and I'm pretty sure
that contained asbestos.

wrote:

dadiOH wrote:
Also, there is no asbestos in linoleum.

Actually, there was, and in vinyl flooring too. The Vinyl stuff was
usually labeled as VAT, for "Vinyl-Asbestos Tile"

Linoleum is made of linseed oil and wood (or cork) powder applied over a
backing. You know something that says otherwise?

--

dadiOH
____________________________

dadiOH's dandies v3.06...

Posted to alt.home.repair
Sev

It's one of those subjects that brings out the crank in all of us- from
excessively anxious to overly dismissive- just have to keep it in
proportion as best as we can.

Posted to alt.home.repair
John

"uz" wrote:

[...]

The asbestos scare has gone way out of proportion. If your house is in your
opinion "contaminated" but you can't see it (there are no piles of asbestos lying
about) you will probably inhale just as much fibers as you would be on a normal
sunny day in traffic!

But if you are still worried now is the time to quit smoking. Most people are
worried about lung cancer and not asbestosis which is more directly related to
asbestos. But to get asbestosis you'd have to inhale it on a regular basis for
years and years. But getting back to lung cancer ... the current thinking on how
asbestos fibers could cause cancer is this: the smallest asbestos fibers are so
small that they may puncture cell walls without destoying the them. While
asbestos itself does not contain carcinogens particles from smoking does. And if
that stuff is near the punctured cell carcinogens may enter the cell and cause a
mutation and cancer.
Posted to alt.home.repair
J. Clarke

John wrote:

"uz" wrote:

[...]

FWIW, I grew up in a house with asbestos shingles. Never did me any harm.
My mother worked for Johns-Manville, the asbestos king, in offices which
were decorated almost entirely in asbestos--asbestos wallpaper, asbestos
desks, asbestos upholstery, showcases for the stuff--she lived into her
late '80s and as far as I know asbestos has not been associated with
pancreatic cancer.

On the other hand, I'd be very surprised if there were still any asbestos
brake pads in service.

But if you are still worried now is the time to quit smoking. Most people
are worried about lung cancer and not asbestosis which is more directly
related to asbestos. But to get asbestosis you'd have to inhale it on a
regular basis for years and years. But getting back to lung cancer ... the
current thinking on how asbestos fibers could cause cancer is this: the
smallest asbestos fibers are so small that they may puncture cell walls
without destoying the them. While asbestos itself does not contain
carcinogens particles from smoking does. And if that stuff is near the
punctured cell carcinogens may enter the cell and cause a mutation and
cancer.

Unfortunately the national pastime seems to be scaring ourselves to death.

--
--John
to email, dial "usenet" and validate
Posted to alt.home.repair
CAS

uz wrote:
Art thanks for your reassuring reply. We got the duct work changed as
soon as we found out and got an asbestos abatement company to do it.
They even did air samples after the duct work was taken out and it was
found at .002/cubic or something which was considered as equivalent to
ambient air levels which i believe is normal in the air. Anyway thanks
again for your reassuring reply.

If they tested a few locations in the house (not just the work area),
there's your answer. You don't have an asbestos problem in your house.
The test I'm thinking of involves a leaf blower and air sample
collection. It stirs up any dust. If they did something radically
different, maybe you can describe it?

The suggestions to paint and tile aren't helpful here. They might make
sense if you were trying to cover/encapsulate materials containing
asbestos, but they don't make sense since what you're worrying about is
asbestos particles that may be loose in your house.

Dust removal is a good idea. Wet mopping, dusting with a damp cloth,
etc, all remove dust, including any possible asbestos particles that
might have settled. Vacuuming stirs up dust (especially without a HEPA
filter, but even with one to some extent) and is not a good idea if
you're trying to reduce an asbestos contamination problem. Since the
abatement company didn't detect anything above ambient, I don't see any
problem with cleaning your house however you want, including vacuuming.

Posted to alt.home.repair
Sacramento Dave

"uz" wrote in message
oups.com...
[...]

You watch to much Media, you over reacting. Most people that get
Asbestoses (sp) have worked around it before the dangers were known. I will
bet your wearing one of those paper dust mask. Why do so many people love
dome? Look at the bright side of things. Hell the Vacuum guys are probably
still laughing. Maybe Prozac is the answer

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

dadiOH wrote:
Also, there is no asbestos in linoleum.

Actually, there was, and in vinyl flooring too. The Vinyl stuff was
usually labeled as VAT, for "Vinyl-Asbestos Tile"

Linoleum is made of linseed oil and wood (or cork) powder applied over a
backing. You know something that says otherwise?

He is correct - there was a Tile, much like todays vinyl self adhesive
tiles that were put down, extremely durable and usually used for
commercial use. They did contain asbestos!

To the best of my knowledge, it was never used in sheet vinyl type
flooring materials, just in the tiles.

As for asbestos in the home, the potential harm comes from the
particles floating in the air and being breathed into the lungs and
getting stuck there. This only happens while it is being disturbed.

Once the asbestos was cleaned out by the abatement company, and then
followed by a HEPA cleaning of the home, there should not be anything
more than the equivalent of standard dusts in the home. Relax, you and
your family will be just fine..... you found a problem, you've solved
the problem, now, sit back relax and enjoy your home and family...!

Glen

Posted to alt.home.repair
Chris Lewis

According to uz :
I'm literally obsessed by these thoughts and can't think
of anything else.

We've seen this happen to a friend of ours. Vermiculite
insulation...

However much everyone (including your husband ;-) tells you that
asbestos isn't a big deal, and that cleaning the house with HEPA has
eliminated any possible hazard, and that you should just relax,
simply doesn't make the anxiety go away. Does it?

It's because you can't see it, and you're not sure.

I can understand that feeling (fortunately I'm not prone to it).

Here's how you stop that feeling:

Call a lab (look in the yellow papers under Asbestos abatement or
such like), and have them do an air test.

They'll install a couple of small filters in the house that will
collect whatever's in the air for the next couple of months. Then,
they analyze what's on the filter. It'll cost anywhere from
$40-$120.

When they come back to you with a report that says "zero", you'll
feel much better.

If it says anything other than zero, you could get it retested
by _another_ company.

If you end up with a reading _other_ than zero (which I HIGHLY
doubt from your description), call an asbestos _consultant_
(_not_ a removal contractor) and have them review the test
results. That might not cost very much at all (they might
be willing to answer you over the phone based on the test
numbers). And they'll tell you that there's no problem.

That's what our friend did. She's not worried about it any
more.

[She was getting zeros from air tests. The consultant
said "you don't have a problem". But, the first vermiculite
test said "trace" (meaning somewhere between barely detectable
and 2-3%), and that scared her. The second, more accurate,
asbestos test of the vermiculite (done by another company)
showed it was .1%, and we had sealed the few potential
leaks. So, yeah, there were minute quantities of asbestos
in some of their insulation, but it was sealed off, and
air tests showed NONE of it in the air over a period of
many months.].
--
Chris Lewis, Una confibula non set est
Posted to alt.home.repair
Goedjn

wrote:

Lots of people use the term linoleum incorrectly and are referring to much
more popular floor covering containing asbestos.

Yes, I think the standard name around Baltimore is "vinyl linoleum".
It didnt' take me long to learn that the word linoleum there only
means that it comes in wide sheets, unlike vinyl tile that comes in
12" or 9" squares.

However I don't think vinyl anything contains asbestos anymore. When
did the OP's floor go in.

There used to be something called asbestos tile, and I'm pretty sure
that contained asbestos.

That's really easy to identify. If you have tile that looks like
vinyl, but it throws sparks when you try to drill through it with
a hole-saw, it's probably VAT.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Unless you want to tear your home down and start over....relax! Keep it
clean, keep the duct work cleaned,and keep your furnace filters changed.
A good air purifier would be a nice touch(sharper image).

Relax and enjoy your life, it goes by too quickly.

charles

htmlbody bgcolor="yellow"

text="black"/body/html

Posted to alt.home.repair
HL

There are several consequences of asbestos exposure. Chronic interstitial
lung disease generally requires prolonged exposure. Lung cancer (which
typically occurs 15 or more years later) is dose related and has a strong
(more than additiive) association with smoking. Mesothelioma can occur with
short ( 1 - 2 year) exposures after an interval of 20 + years not peaking
until 30 to 35 years after exposure.

Housewives whose only contact with asbestos was laundering their spouses
absestos contaminated work clothing have been afflicted. So "casual"
indirect contact of this nature can cause disease.