Posted to rec.woodworking
stoutman

Default Frustrated in High Point

Got home from work, ate dinner, and off to the work shop. Ahhh!
Serenity...

Started work on my future son's maple dresser (due in Feb). I thought the
legs would be a good place to start, yeah good idea.

Jointed a corner square on the leg stock and started to rip to width, 1.75"
(plus a smidge for the planer). Started the rip and I blew the dam breaker.
Try a slower feed rate! Yeah, brilliant idea! Loaded up the next leg
stock in front of the saw and cranked her on and started my s-l-o-w feed,
and pop, blew the breaker again! Ahh crap. Serenity out the window.

I need a beefier saw dam it!!! My bandsaw might have to wait!

--
Stoutman
http://home.triad.rr.com/brianmeliss...ing_frames.htm

Posted to rec.woodworking
Mike Marlow

"stoutman" .@. wrote in message
. ..
Got home from work, ate dinner, and off to the work shop. Ahhh!
Serenity...

Started work on my future son's maple dresser (due in Feb). I thought the
legs would be a good place to start, yeah good idea.

Jointed a corner square on the leg stock and started to rip to width,

1.75"
(plus a smidge for the planer). Started the rip and I blew the dam

breaker.
Try a slower feed rate! Yeah, brilliant idea! Loaded up the next leg
stock in front of the saw and cranked her on and started my s-l-o-w feed,
and pop, blew the breaker again! Ahh crap. Serenity out the window.

I need a beefier saw dam it!!! My bandsaw might have to wait!

Or a new blade? Oh - forget that idea. Don't know what the hell I was
thinking. Yes - you need a new saw! And maybe a new router too. Can't
have either without a couple new chisels. Probably should get an new ROS
while you're at it. If it were me, I'd be using this as the excuse to get
that new welder too.

--

-Mike-

Posted to rec.woodworking
Tom Watson

On Tue, 17 Jan 2006 01:45:02 GMT, "stoutman" .@. wrote:

Got home from work, ate dinner, and off to the work shop. Ahhh!
Serenity...

Started work on my future son's maple dresser (due in Feb). I thought the
legs would be a good place to start, yeah good idea.

Jointed a corner square on the leg stock and started to rip to width, 1.75"
(plus a smidge for the planer). Started the rip and I blew the dam breaker.
Try a slower feed rate! Yeah, brilliant idea! Loaded up the next leg
stock in front of the saw and cranked her on and started my s-l-o-w feed,
and pop, blew the breaker again! Ahh crap. Serenity out the window.

I need a beefier saw dam it!!! My bandsaw might have to wait!

You might just need a new breaker.

Tom Watson - WoodDorker

tjwatson1ATcomcastDOTnet (real email)

http://home.comcast.net/~tjwatson1/
Posted to rec.woodworking
stoutman

Or a new blade?

I'm guessing you haven't seen my saw.
--
Stoutman
http://home.triad.rr.com/brianmeliss...ing_frames.htm
(Featuring a NEW look)

Posted to rec.woodworking
Josh

Can you switch your saw over to 220V? I did it with mine, along with
my shaper, and the difference is dramatic. It draws half the current,
of course, and now it accelerates much more quickly on startup and
doesn't dim the lights.

It requires that you add a 220 breaker to your panel, and install a
220V outlet. Nothing too complicated, unless your breaker box is clear
on the other side of the house or has no free slots. I live just up
the road from you in Oak Ridge if you ever care to see my
implementation.

Josh

Posted to rec.woodworking
stoutman

Can you switch your saw over to 220V?
I dont know. How do i find out if the motor can handle 220? other than
just trying it.

Posted to rec.woodworking
Robert Bonomi

In article ,
stoutman .@. wrote:
Can you switch your saw over to 220V?

I dont know. How do i find out if the motor can handle 220? other than
just trying it.

READ the directions. grin

Seriously. look at the 'plate' on the motor. If it specifies two voltages
and two amperage levels, it can be wired for either 120V or 240V circuits.

Posted to rec.woodworking
Robert Bonomi

In article ,
Robatoy wrote:
In article ,
"Mike Marlow" wrote:

Or a new blade? Oh - forget that idea. Don't know what the hell I was
thinking. Yes - you need a new saw! And maybe a new router too. Can't
have either without a couple new chisels. Probably should get an new ROS
while you're at it. If it were me, I'd be using this as the excuse to get
that new welder too.

How's he going to get all this home?

=THAT= is the necessary excuse to buy the new utility trailer. *grin*

Posted to rec.woodworking
Josh

If you still have the manual, it should tell you exactly how to rewire
it (it usually just involves moving a couple of jumper wires). If not,
Delta should have it online. Definitely do NOT just plug it into a
220V recepticle as is, not that the plug should fit into such a
recepticle anyway.

Posted to rec.woodworking
George

"stoutman" .@. wrote in message
. ..
Got home from work, ate dinner, and off to the work shop. Ahhh!
Serenity...

Started work on my future son's maple dresser (due in Feb). I thought the
legs would be a good place to start, yeah good idea.

Jointed a corner square on the leg stock and started to rip to width,
1.75" (plus a smidge for the planer). Started the rip and I blew the dam
breaker. Try a slower feed rate! Yeah, brilliant idea! Loaded up the
next leg stock in front of the saw and cranked her on and started my
s-l-o-w feed, and pop, blew the breaker again! Ahh crap. Serenity out
the window.

I need a beefier saw dam it!!! My bandsaw might have to wait!

Actually, a bandsaw would do the job you tried with ease, and more. If you
leave a "smidge" for the planer, you just need to leave the line. Fence and
feed works the same on one side straight; chalk, snap and follow starts you
out from rough.

Great tool.

Posted to rec.woodworking
Mike Marlow

"Robatoy" wrote in message
In article ,
"Mike Marlow" wrote:

Or a new blade? Oh - forget that idea. Don't know what the hell I was
thinking. Yes - you need a new saw! And maybe a new router too. Can't
have either without a couple new chisels. Probably should get an new

ROS
while you're at it. If it were me, I'd be using this as the excuse to

get
that new welder too.

How's he going to get all this home?

Simple - new truck.

--

-Mike-

Posted to rec.woodworking
B a r r y

stoutman wrote:

I need a beefier saw dam it!!! My bandsaw might have to wait!

A bandsaw would rip that leg nicely!

FWIW, is your breaker shot? They can trip at lower amperages as they age.

Barry

Posted to rec.woodworking
stoutman

"B a r r y" wrote in message
news
stoutman wrote:

I need a beefier saw dam it!!! My bandsaw might have to wait!

A bandsaw would rip that leg nicely!

FWIW, is your breaker shot? They can trip at lower amperages as they age.

Barry

When I use to live in my old house, which had fuses not a breaker, it would
blow them also. It only trips the breaker when it starts to bog down. If I
feed ridiculously slow it doesn't trip the breaker. But I risk burning the
crap out of the wood. I'm guessing a beefier saw will not bog down and
thus will not trip the breaker.?.

I thought about the bandsaw after I posted. I think your right. A nice
bandsaw should do the job nicely.

Posted to rec.woodworking
Steve Peterson

stop the small, petty thinking. Obviously, he needs a new pickup.

Steve in Pittsboro

"Robert Bonomi" wrote in message
In article ,
Robatoy wrote:
In article ,
"Mike Marlow" wrote:

Or a new blade? Oh - forget that idea. Don't know what the hell I was
thinking. Yes - you need a new saw! And maybe a new router too. Can't
have either without a couple new chisels. Probably should get an new
ROS
while you're at it. If it were me, I'd be using this as the excuse to
get
that new welder too.

How's he going to get all this home?

=THAT= is the necessary excuse to buy the new utility trailer. *grin*

Posted to rec.woodworking

If the motor can be rewired for 220, that info will be on the motor
somewhere. If you can't find it, don't do it. :-)

But I'm on board with Tom. Sure seems like that saw should be able to
rip right through a couple inches of maple. It's the blade or the
breaker. (Without watching the cut, I also wonder if maybe you got no
splitter on that thing and the wood is pinching the blade. But that
should also squeal and make burn marks.)

I had to replace a breaker after it blew out once, then just kept
breaking every time I turned on the saw. The new one don't blow when
the saw turns on.

Then again, never let it be said I stopped somebody from gittin a new
toy. I'd want the bandsaw before I got a new TS, but maybe you really
want a new TS. Therefore, gopher it.

Posted to rec.woodworking
Larry Bud

stoutman wrote:
Got home from work, ate dinner, and off to the work shop. Ahhh!
Serenity...

Started work on my future son's maple dresser (due in Feb). I thought the
legs would be a good place to start, yeah good idea.

Jointed a corner square on the leg stock and started to rip to width, 1.75"
(plus a smidge for the planer). Started the rip and I blew the dam breaker.
Try a slower feed rate! Yeah, brilliant idea! Loaded up the next leg
stock in front of the saw and cranked her on and started my s-l-o-w feed,
and pop, blew the breaker again! Ahh crap. Serenity out the window.

I need a beefier saw dam it!!! My bandsaw might have to wait!

You need to convert your saw to 220, and run a 20 amp service to it.

Posted to rec.woodworking
George Max

On Tue, 17 Jan 2006 15:36:15 GMT, "Steve Peterson"
wrote:

stop the small, petty thinking. Obviously, he needs a new pickup.

Steve in Pittsboro

He's thinking environmentally friendly. No need for a truck if you
only need to haul tools home ocassionally.
Posted to rec.woodworking
John Grossbohlin

wrote in message
oups.com...

Then again, never let it be said I stopped somebody from gittin a new
toy. I'd want the bandsaw before I got a new TS, but maybe you really
want a new TS. Therefore, gopher it.

Oh course maybe he can get a package a TS and BS deal and solve both
problems. ;~)

John

Posted to rec.woodworking
Vic Baron

You might just need a new breaker.

Tom Watson - WoodDorker

Ever the voice of reason, Tom.

Posted to rec.woodworking
Frank Boettcher

On Tue, 17 Jan 2006 03:38:37 GMT, "stoutman" .@. wrote:

Can you switch your saw over to 220V?

I dont know. How do i find out if the motor can handle 220? other than
just trying it.

Does that model have an induction motor? or universal?
Posted to rec.woodworking
Mike Berger

A beefier saw will draw more current to begin with, so I don't see
how it solves your current (uh.) electrical problem.

stoutman wrote:

When I use to live in my old house, which had fuses not a breaker, it would
blow them also. It only trips the breaker when it starts to bog down. If I
feed ridiculously slow it doesn't trip the breaker. But I risk burning the
crap out of the wood. I'm guessing a beefier saw will not bog down and
thus will not trip the breaker.?.

Posted to rec.woodworking
Pat Barber

stoutman wrote:
Can you switch your saw over to 220V?

I dont know. How do i find out if the motor can handle 220? other than
just trying it.

Posted to rec.woodworking
Mike Marlow

"John Grossbohlin" wrote in message
ink.net...

wrote in message
oups.com...

Then again, never let it be said I stopped somebody from gittin a new
toy. I'd want the bandsaw before I got a new TS, but maybe you really
want a new TS. Therefore, gopher it.

Oh course maybe he can get a package a TS and BS deal and solve both
problems. ;~)

Hell, I should hope that after he buys the table saw, the router, the
chisels, the ROS, the welder, the trailer and the damned pickup, they'd
throw in the band saw!

--

-Mike-

Posted to rec.woodworking
W Canaday

On Mon, 16 Jan 2006 22:33:35 -0500, Robatoy wrote:

How's he going to get all this home?

Getting it home is easy ... getting it past SWMBO is gonna be the real
challenge!

Bill

Posted to rec.woodworking
Sam

Try using a smaller blade. 90% of the time I just use cheap thincut 7
1/4" Piranah skillsaw blades on my 10" saw. Sam

Posted to rec.woodworking
Charles Self

"stoutman" .@. wrote in message
"B a r r y" wrote in
message news
stoutman wrote:

I need a beefier saw dam it!!! My bandsaw might have to wait!

A bandsaw would rip that leg nicely!

FWIW, is your breaker shot? They can trip at lower amperages as they
age.

Barry

When I use to live in my old house, which had fuses not a breaker, it
would blow them also. It only trips the breaker when it starts to bog
down. If I feed ridiculously slow it doesn't trip the breaker. But I
risk burning the crap out of the wood. I'm guessing a beefier saw will
not bog down and thus will not trip the breaker.?.

I thought about the bandsaw after I posted. I think your right. A nice
bandsaw should do the job nicely.

A beefier saw is going to require more amperage, though, which by itself
will blow the breaker. What strength breaker are you running, 15 amp? If so,
a slow blow might help, but running a 20 amp circuit might help more.

Bolt Action or Double Rifle! [email protected] Metalworking 76 April 3rd 05 06:42 AM
Help! Interapid 312B-1 contact point questions Scott Metalworking 12 February 21st 05 05:41 PM
OT Guns more Guns Cliff Metalworking 519 December 12th 04 05:52 AM
York Furnace Filter (High velocity)? computer_prog Home Repair 0 January 17th 04 08:16 PM