Old December 29th 18, 07:02 PM posted to alt.sci.physics,uk.d-i-y,alt.home.repair

Default Troll-feeding Senile YANKIETARD Alert!

On Sat, 29 Dec 2018 11:34:22 -0600, Arthur Conan Doyle, another mentally
challenged, troll-feeding senile Yankietard, blathered:

There are higher rating consumer units, but you have to look for them.

The ONLY thing he will look for is how many senile idiots are going to take
his latest idiotic baits in this thread again, you dumbass!

Old December 29th 18, 07:04 PM posted to alt.sci.physics,uk.d-i-y,alt.home.repair

Default Lonely Psychotic Senile Ozzie Troll Alert! LOL

On Sun, 30 Dec 2018 05:05:56 +1100, cantankerous trolling geezer Rot Speed,
the auto-contradicting senile sociopath, blabbered, again:

Shouldn't we have faster microwaves by now giving out a few kW?

We do.

Both of you exceptional retards DO make complete asses of yourselves, EVERY
day! BG

--
Another retarded "conversation" between Birdbrain and senile Rot:

Senile Rot: " Did you ever dig a hole to bury your own ****?"

Birdbrain: "I do if there's no flush toilet around."

Senile Rot: "Yeah, I prefer camping like that, off by myself with
no dunnys around and have always buried the ****."

MID:
Old December 29th 18, 07:10 PM posted to alt.sci.physics,uk.d-i-y,alt.home.repair

Default Slow microwave ovens

On Sat, 29 Dec 2018 19:00:48 -0000, Dean Hoffman wrote:

On 12/29/18 7:43 AM, William Gothberg wrote:
Shouldn't we have faster microwaves by now giving out a few kW? They
were invented decades ago.

Pretty much the same reason one doesn't always turn a conventional
oven up to broil. 350 F. is a pretty common setting if my memory is
working.
T4 has a good example.
It comes down to lack of demand.

Conventional ovens have to heat the food from the outside. Microwaves heat all the way through.
Old December 29th 18, 07:12 PM posted to alt.home.repair,uk.d-i-y,alt.electronics,alt.sci.physics

On Sat, 29 Dec 2018 19:02:23 -0000, Andrew Gabriel wrote:

In article ,
"William Gothberg" writes:
On Sat, 29 Dec 2018 17:38:04 -0000, Clare Snyder wrote:

On Sat, 29 Dec 2018 08:07:42 -0800, Bob F wrote:

On 12/29/2018 6:37 AM, trader_4 wrote:
On Saturday, December 29, 2018 at 9:23:42 AM UTC-5, Bill Gill wrote:
On 12/29/2018 7:43 AM, William Gothberg wrote:
Shouldn't we have faster microwaves by now giving out a few kW? They
were invented decades ago.
Higher powered microwaves would require higher powered electric
outlets, probably 220VAC (in the USA).

Also it is questionable whether higher powered ovens would be
practical for use. Getting warming times down to a couple of
seconds might not be a good idea. More speed is not always better.

Bill

+1

That about covers it. Not sure how useful more power would be. For example,
last night I was thawing out a tomato sauce in a quart plastic container.
The Panasonic has a defrost mode that uses about 30% power and cycles that.

It gets the 30% power by cycling the 100% power on 30% of the time.

(By the way, adjusting the level does not actually change the wattage.
It simply means the microwave will pulse on and off at its fixed wattage
until the desired level is reached.)

https://lifehacker.com/5974788/famil...-cooking-a-joy
That was true of the first generation of Microwaves, but the current
"inverter" driver units actually CAN throttle the power. Inverter
microwaves are much better for defrosting AND cooking.

We've had ours for about 2 years now - replacing our original that we
bought in about 1985.

BIG difference (but the old one would likely still be working by the
time this one dies)

Why is it called an invertor? I thought an invertor was a device to increase the voltage - like running 240V devices off a 12V car battery.

To run a 5kV magnetron from 240V.

That could be done with a transformer, with a few tappings to allow lower power.

And why on earth would you not want to cook on full power? I've never had a reason to lower the power from the maximum of 800W. I want the meal as soon as possible!

Microwaves do not penetrate all the way through larger volumes of
food - the heating is done in the outer 1-2cm. Heating the middle
is done by conduction (and by convection if the food is a fluid).
If you pile in energy faster than it can conduct all the way through,
you will have a burned outside and a cold middle.

I never have that problem, water (which most foods are primarily made of) conducts pretty quick.

Domestic microwave food products are not designed to be heated in
2kW ovens. Many would fail to cook properly/safely.
Commercial microwave food products (some anyway) are designed to be
heated in 2kW microwaves.

And in reference to your other post, it's not simply a matter of
dividing the cooking time by two. The amount of energy absorbed by
a food product also depends on the surface area exposed to the
microwaves (1 pea in a 2kW oven will not absord 2kW), so the cooking
time in a 2kW oven depends on the size and shape of the item - it
would have to be calculated by the manufacturer and included on the
packaging, but in practice, most domestic food products will not have
sufficient heat conduction to be able to absord 2kW and cook properly.

Most meals are way bigger than a pea. Everything I cook is in a dish and about 1 inch deep. I'm sure that most if it would be hit by microwaves directly.
Old December 29th 18, 07:15 PM posted to alt.sci.physics,uk.d-i-y,alt.home.repair

"William Gothberg" wrote in message
news
On Sat, 29 Dec 2018 14:23:37 -0000, Bill Gill wrote:

On 12/29/2018 7:43 AM, William Gothberg wrote:
Shouldn't we have faster microwaves by now giving out a few kW? They
were invented decades ago.

Higher powered microwaves would require higher powered electric
outlets, probably 220VAC (in the USA).

Not a problem in Europe where everything is 240V. Another reason you
ought to stop that low voltage crap!

Another pathetic excuse for a troll.

Do you seriously have to hard wire all your washing machines, dishwashers,
tumble dryers, etc, etc?

Nope the higher power devices plug in.

And what on earth do you do with hoovers?

They work fine on 110V, stupid.

Also it is questionable whether higher powered ovens would be
practical for use. Getting warming times down to a couple of
seconds might not be a good idea. More speed is not always better.

It can take 5 minutes to warm something from frozen to eating temperature.

Hardly the end of civilisation as we know it.

I see no reason that couldn't be made into 2 minutes.

You can buy them like that and have been able to for decades.

Old December 29th 18, 07:16 PM posted to alt.sci.physics,uk.d-i-y,alt.home.repair

On 2018-12-29 9:27 a.m., William Gothberg wrote:
On Sat, 29 Dec 2018 14:23:37 -0000, Bill Gill wrote:

On 12/29/2018 7:43 AM, William Gothberg wrote:
Shouldn't we have faster microwaves by now giving out a few kW? They
were invented decades ago.
Higher powered microwaves would require higher powered electric
outlets, probably 220VAC (in the USA).

Not a problem in Europe where everything is 240V. Another reason you
ought to stop that low voltage crap! Do you seriously have to hard wire
all your washing machines, dishwashers, tumble dryers, etc, etc? And
what on earth do you do with hoovers?

Also it is questionable whether higher powered ovens would be
practical for use. Getting warming times down to a couple of
seconds might not be a good idea. More speed is not always better.

It can take 5 minutes to warm something from frozen to eating
temperature. I see no reason that couldn't be made into 2 minutes.

don't use microwaves if you don't like them ,
use an oven , i want a fast freeze machine ,
i want to freeze things in 5 minutes

You can buy those too, used to snap freeze fresh veg.

Old December 29th 18, 07:24 PM posted to alt.sci.physics,uk.d-i-y,alt.home.repair

On Sat, 29 Dec 2018 14:46:52 -0000, Andy Bennet wrote:

On 29/12/2018 13:43, William Gothberg wrote:
Shouldn't we have faster microwaves by now giving out a few kW? They
were invented decades ago.

High power microwaves (1MW) are used in industry in for example ore
extraction/rock pulverizing.
1MW into a cup of water is not pretty, explodes the water contents and
breaks the cup.

I don't need a MW, but the usual 600W to 900W in domestic ovens

That's a lie.

is pitiful. What's wrong with 2kW?

Nothing, trivially buyable with commercial microwaves
which are normally used in fast food places and restaurants.

Old December 29th 18, 07:27 PM posted to alt.sci.physics,uk.d-i-y,alt.home.repair

"William Gothberg" wrote in message
news
On Sat, 29 Dec 2018 14:56:26 -0000, Andrew Gabriel

Bill Gill writes:
On 12/29/2018 7:43 AM, William Gothberg wrote:
Shouldn't we have faster microwaves by now giving out a few kW? They
were invented decades ago.
Higher powered microwaves would require higher powered electric
outlets, probably 220VAC (in the USA).

Also it is questionable whether higher powered ovens would be
practical for use. Getting warming times down to a couple of
seconds might not be a good idea. More speed is not always better.

Most commercial microwave ovens are higher power - typically twice
that of a domestic oven (they often use a pair of magnetrons).
We have them in the office kitchen areas (I think they are 2kW).
One problem is that retail food products do not state cooking
times in commercial microwave ovens - we have warnings posted on
the ovens that they are much more powerful.

Is the average person not able to divide by two?

It isnt that simple with some food because with some
food the microwaves are absorbed by the outer layer
and the inside is heated by conduction.

Also, not all food can
be heated faster - often heat conduction is still a critical part
of the process, and the ability of food to conduct heat limits
the power input some food products can absorb without burning
whilst other areas are still cold.

Then the oven needs to have a more even waveform.

It isnt the evenness of the waveform that matters when
the outer layer of the food absorbs all the microwaves
and the inside is heated by conduction.

There's no problem with standard socket outlets in most countries.
In Europe and many other countries outside America, standard sockets
are designed to provide 3kW or 3.5kW (depending on country).
Many domestic microwaves in Europe are combination ovens with
convection, fan, and infra-red (grill) heating too, and often
run at 2.5kW when using combination heating (with a 1kW magnetron).
In a domestic environment, combination heating is generally more
useful than simply a more powerful microwave.

Not when I want to heat something in 2 minutes, conventional heating won't
even get going in that time.

Old December 29th 18, 07:29 PM posted to uk.d-i-y,alt.sci.physics,alt.home.repair

"William Gothberg" wrote in message
news
Most food is very high in water content. Double the microwaves, double
the speed the water heats up.

But with some food you get the outer layer cooked
to death because that's where all the microwaves get
absorbed and the inside isnt cooked because there
isnt enough time for the heat to be conducted there.

On Sat, 29 Dec 2018 15:33:12 -0000, Brian Gaff
wrote:

I am not sure what you mean.
Surely the speed of heating depends on the absorption of the energy by
what
is inside the machine.
If its not high enough in things that can get hot, like water content,
you
can cook it as long as you like with little effect at all.

Brian

Old December 29th 18, 07:31 PM posted to alt.sci.physics,uk.d-i-y,alt.home.repair

"Arthur Conan Doyle" wrote in message
news:[email protected]
"William Gothberg" wrote:

I don't need a MW, but the usual 600W to 900W in domestic ovens is
pitiful. What's wrong with 2kW?

There are higher rating consumer units, but you have to look for them. I
had a
1.2kw range hood type that worked much better than the 900w types. I think
commerical units (i.e. convenience store) can be found that are 1.8kw.

That said, what I find annoying is that the power control for every
consumer
microwave I've seen is duty cycle based. That is, so many seconds of full
power
followed by so many seconds of no power.

Some foods and defrosting would work much better if the actual power level
could
be adjusted. Panasonic claims to make an inverter based design, but I'm
not
convinced they actually adjust the outpout power.

They do actually and its trivial to prove that by
monitoring the power consumption over time.

What mostly makes a small engine "wheeze" fast & slow, fast & slow, fast & slow? ultred ragnusen Home Repair 32 February 26th 18 07:29 PM
Slow, slow, slow charlieb Woodturning 5 October 14th 09 04:43 PM
Any microwave ovens available with pop sensors? Doug Warner Home Repair 32 January 4th 06 05:56 PM
Microwave ovens thermal fuse/link/tco Sidney Electronics Repair 2 September 29th 04 05:50 AM