Old January 3rd 06, 03:04 AM posted to alt.home.repair
Doug Warner

Default Any microwave ovens available with pop sensors?

My 8-10 year old Sharp microwave oven has died from a shorted HV
capacitor. I'll probably fix it, if the part is still available.

If not, I'd like my next oven to "listen" to popcorn, and shut off
after the popping rate slows to a threshold level. My current oven's
popcorn mode always comes up about 40 seconds short.

Are there any current models with "ears"?
--
Email reply: please remove one letter from each side of "@"
Spammers are Scammers. Exterminate them.

Old January 3rd 06, 03:14 AM posted to alt.home.repair
Doug Kanter

"Doug Warner" wrote in message

My 8-10 year old Sharp microwave oven has died from a shorted HV
capacitor. I'll probably fix it, if the part is still available.

If not, I'd like my next oven to "listen" to popcorn, and shut off
after the popping rate slows to a threshold level. My current oven's
popcorn mode always comes up about 40 seconds short.

Are there any current models with "ears"?

================================

You can't stand still in the kitchen for 3 minutes and listen with your own
ears???

Old January 3rd 06, 03:15 AM posted to alt.home.repair
Rick Brandt

Doug Warner wrote:
My 8-10 year old Sharp microwave oven has died from a shorted HV
capacitor. I'll probably fix it, if the part is still available.

If not, I'd like my next oven to "listen" to popcorn, and shut off
after the popping rate slows to a threshold level. My current oven's
popcorn mode always comes up about 40 seconds short.

Are there any current models with "ears"?

Most of the ovens I have seen that have a popcorn auto-setting do it by sensing
the amount of moisture in the oven. It guarantees that the popcorn doesn't
burn, but it (as you say) grossly underestimates the cooking time leaving lots
of unpopped kernels.

We just bought a new 1200 watt Sharp and I have yet to find a power setting and
time combination that does a good bag of popcorn. I think the wattage might
simply be too high and the lower power levels do nothing more than cycle full
power off and on at different intervals. Our older Panasonic 1000 watter did a
perfect bag of corn at 2:35 with almost no unpopped kernels. On the new one I
have to choose between many unpopped kernels or burnt corn. I point this out
because even with me standing there listening to the popping I still can't get
good results. That means an oven that did its own listening (if such a thing
exists) might not do any better if the power level is not correct.

Old January 3rd 06, 03:27 AM posted to alt.home.repair
buffalobill

our panasonic inverter microwave 2 cubic foot has a great popcorn
button. but no ears. plenty big enough and a nice reheat mode and keep
warm mode. has function of the beep programmable to OFF which is just
as important as finding a quiet dishwasher. NN-T964SF. sf means
stainless front i guess. we bought 8/2004

see also review at:
http://www.epinions.com/content_155706494596

Old January 3rd 06, 03:31 AM posted to alt.home.repair
Doug Warner

"Rick Brandt" wrote:

We just bought a new 1200 watt Sharp and I have yet to find a power setting and
time combination that does a good bag of popcorn. I think the wattage might
simply be too high and the lower power levels do nothing more than cyclefull
power off and on at different intervals. Our older Panasonic 1000 watter did a
perfect bag of corn at 2:35 with almost no unpopped kernels. On the newone I
have to choose between many unpopped kernels or burnt corn. I point this out
because even with me standing there listening to the popping I still can't get
good results. That means an oven that did its own listening (if such a thing
exists) might not do any better if the power level is not correct.

Hmm, you may be right. Our two small Panasonic units in the office
break room died, (they did perfect popcorn), They were replaced with
big commercial grade units with higher power and no turntables.
The exhibit the same problem. If you wait for the last 30 kernels to
pop, it'll burn.

I think the issue with these is that hot spots develop and start
burning before all the kernels have popped.

And, no, I don't have the patience to stand in one spot for 3-4
minutes waiting for popcorn to finish. I'm usually doing something
else in the meantime, and forget to listen. It shuts off early or
late, leaving it incomplete or burnt. (Popcorn simply has no margin
for error.)

Old January 3rd 06, 04:27 AM posted to alt.home.repair
FDR

"Rick Brandt" wrote:

[...]

If you pop the same type, it's usually easy enought to figure out the time
to the best pop, and then set the timer to that for all your future popcorn
cook times. Popcorn kernels have a specific moisture content (13% as I
rcall) and if the weight and power are the same then there's no reason why
the same time shouldn't give fairly repeatable results.

Old January 3rd 06, 10:21 AM posted to alt.home.repair
Dr. Hardcrab

"Doug Kanter" wrote in message

"Doug Warner" wrote in message

My 8-10 year old Sharp microwave oven has died from a shorted HV
capacitor. I'll probably fix it, if the part is still available.

If not, I'd like my next oven to "listen" to popcorn, and shut off
after the popping rate slows to a threshold level. My current oven's
popcorn mode always comes up about 40 seconds short.

Are there any current models with "ears"?

================================

You can't stand still in the kitchen for 3 minutes and listen with your
own ears???

I was going to say the same thing. Not to put down the OP, but how lazy have
we become? What's next? A remote that will come to you when you call it???

Hey.....wait a minute...........

;-]

Old January 3rd 06, 12:58 PM posted to alt.home.repair
Doug Kanter

"Dr. Hardcrab" wrote in message
news:[email protected]

"Doug Kanter" wrote in message

"Doug Warner" wrote in message

My 8-10 year old Sharp microwave oven has died from a shorted HV
capacitor. I'll probably fix it, if the part is still available.

If not, I'd like my next oven to "listen" to popcorn, and shut off
after the popping rate slows to a threshold level. My current oven's
popcorn mode always comes up about 40 seconds short.

Are there any current models with "ears"?

================================

You can't stand still in the kitchen for 3 minutes and listen with your
own ears???

I was going to say the same thing. Not to put down the OP, but how lazy
have we become? What's next? A remote that will come to you when you call
it???

Hey.....wait a minute...........

;-]

Here's something I want: A way to start my oven using my cell phone, so I
can put dinner into a preheated oven the moment I walk in the door.

Old January 3rd 06, 04:23 PM posted to alt.home.repair
Dr. Hardcrab

[...]

Most ovens have timers that will do that, but I guess YOU have to be on a
"regular timer" for it to work (in other words, you have to come home at the
same time)...

Old January 3rd 06, 04:28 PM posted to alt.home.repair
Doug Kanter

[...]

Unfortunately, "regular time" does not exist in my home. I have a teenage
son. :-) His favorite saying: "Dad, how many times do I have to tell you?
Things aren't happening until they're happening. I can't plan like you do".