Old December 29th 18, 05:42 PM posted to alt.sci.physics,uk.d-i-y,alt.home.repair
% % is offline

Default Slow microwave ovens

On 2018-12-29 9:27 a.m., William Gothberg wrote:
On Sat, 29 Dec 2018 14:23:37 -0000, Bill Gill wrote:

On 12/29/2018 7:43 AM, William Gothberg wrote:
Shouldn't we have faster microwaves by now giving out a few kW?* They
were invented decades ago.

Higher powered microwaves would require higher powered electric
outlets, probably 220VAC (in the USA).

Not a problem in Europe where everything is 240V.* Another reason you
ought to stop that low voltage crap!* Do you seriously have to hard wire
all your washing machines, dishwashers, tumble dryers, etc, etc?* And
what on earth do you do with hoovers?

Also it is questionable whether higher powered ovens would be
practical for use.* Getting warming times down to a couple of
seconds might not be a good idea.* More speed is not always better.

It can take 5 minutes to warm something from frozen to eating
temperature.* I see no reason that couldn't be made into 2 minutes.

don't use microwaves if you don't like them ,
use an oven , i want a fast freeze machine ,
i want to freeze things in 5 minutes

Old December 29th 18, 05:43 PM posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Troll-feeding Senile IDIOT Alert!

On Sat, 29 Dec 2018 15:33:12 -0000, Brainless & Daft, the notorious,
troll-feeding, senile idiot, blathered again:

I am not sure what you mean.

Right, but you'll feed him anyway, Brainless & Daft! tsk

Old December 29th 18, 06:15 PM posted to alt.sci.physics,uk.d-i-y,alt.home.repair

On 29/12/2018 16:27, William Gothberg wrote:

It can take 5 minutes to warm something from frozen to eating
temperature.* I see no reason that couldn't be made into 2 minutes.

Conduction

Bill
Old December 29th 18, 06:19 PM posted to alt.sci.physics,uk.d-i-y,alt.home.repair

So Mr Mouth when will you have this product on the market and how
much will it cost??

news ::

Old December 29th 18, 06:26 PM posted to alt.sci.physics,uk.d-i-y,alt.home.repair

On Sat, 29 Dec 2018 14:46:52 -0000, Andy Bennet wrote:

On 29/12/2018 13:43, William Gothberg wrote:
Shouldn't we have faster microwaves by now giving out a few kW? They
were invented decades ago.

High power microwaves (1MW) are used in industry in for example ore
extraction/rock pulverizing.
1MW into a cup of water is not pretty, explodes the water contents and
breaks the cup.

I don't need a MW, but the usual 600W to 900W in domestic ovens is pitiful. What's wrong with 2kW?

Old December 29th 18, 06:29 PM posted to alt.sci.physics,uk.d-i-y,alt.home.repair

Old December 29th 18, 06:32 PM posted to alt.sci.physics,uk.d-i-y,alt.home.repair

On Sat, 29 Dec 2018 14:56:26 -0000, Andrew Gabriel wrote:

In article ,
Bill Gill writes:
On 12/29/2018 7:43 AM, William Gothberg wrote:
Shouldn't we have faster microwaves by now giving out a few kW? They
were invented decades ago.

Higher powered microwaves would require higher powered electric
outlets, probably 220VAC (in the USA).

Also it is questionable whether higher powered ovens would be
practical for use. Getting warming times down to a couple of
seconds might not be a good idea. More speed is not always better.

Most commercial microwave ovens are higher power - typically twice
that of a domestic oven (they often use a pair of magnetrons).
We have them in the office kitchen areas (I think they are 2kW).
One problem is that retail food products do not state cooking
times in commercial microwave ovens - we have warnings posted on
the ovens that they are much more powerful.

Is the average person not able to divide by two?

Also, not all food can
be heated faster - often heat conduction is still a critical part
of the process, and the ability of food to conduct heat limits
the power input some food products can absorb without burning
whilst other areas are still cold.

Then the oven needs to have a more even waveform.

There's no problem with standard socket outlets in most countries.
In Europe and many other countries outside America, standard sockets
are designed to provide 3kW or 3.5kW (depending on country).
Many domestic microwaves in Europe are combination ovens with
convection, fan, and infra-red (grill) heating too, and often
run at 2.5kW when using combination heating (with a 1kW magnetron).
In a domestic environment, combination heating is generally more
useful than simply a more powerful microwave.

Not when I want to heat something in 2 minutes, conventional heating won't even get going in that time.
Old December 29th 18, 06:33 PM posted to uk.d-i-y,alt.sci.physics,alt.home.repair

Most food is very high in water content. Double the microwaves, double the speed the water heats up.

On Sat, 29 Dec 2018 15:33:12 -0000, Brian Gaff wrote:

I am not sure what you mean.
Surely the speed of heating depends on the absorption of the energy by what
is inside the machine.
If its not high enough in things that can get hot, like water content, you
can cook it as long as you like with little effect at all.

Brian

Old December 29th 18, 06:34 PM posted to alt.sci.physics,uk.d-i-y,alt.home.repair

****Bill Gill writes:
[...]

is that what your wife said
Old December 29th 18, 06:34 PM posted to alt.sci.physics,uk.d-i-y,alt.home.repair

"William Gothberg" wrote:

I don't need a MW, but the usual 600W to 900W in domestic ovens is pitiful. What's wrong with 2kW?

There are higher rating consumer units, but you have to look for them. I had a
1.2kw range hood type that worked much better than the 900w types. I think
commerical units (i.e. convenience store) can be found that are 1.8kw.

That said, what I find annoying is that the power control for every consumer
microwave I've seen is duty cycle based. That is, so many seconds of full power
followed by so many seconds of no power.

Some foods and defrosting would work much better if the actual power level could
be adjusted. Panasonic claims to make an inverter based design, but I'm not
convinced they actually adjust the outpout power.

What mostly makes a small engine "wheeze" fast & slow, fast & slow, fast & slow? ultred ragnusen Home Repair 32 February 26th 18 08:29 PM
Slow, slow, slow charlieb Woodturning 5 October 14th 09 05:43 PM
Any microwave ovens available with pop sensors? Doug Warner Home Repair 32 January 4th 06 06:56 PM
Microwave ovens thermal fuse/link/tco Sidney Electronics Repair 2 September 29th 04 06:50 AM