Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default extended warranties on electrical items

On 29/07/2018 16:53, Steve Walker wrote:
I bought a twin cassette unit to add to my separates system (in the late
90s). It cost me £120 at Richer sounds. An extra £20 bought a 10-year
warranty, plus free head cleaning and free head re-alignment throughout
that period.

Does anyone still make Cxx cassettes now ?.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Monday, 30 July 2018 11:14:00 UTC+1, Andrew wrote:
On 29/07/2018 16:11, Jim GM4DHJ ... wrote:

Best thing I've bought all year.

best thing I bought this year was a double cereal dispenser ...got a black
one and a white one and a single one in black ....

The carboard boxes normally have a little flap so you can just pour it
right out of the box !.

Who on earth transfers cereals into another container ?.

places vulnerable to mice & ants

NT
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 7/30/2018 11:11 AM, Andrew wrote:
On 29/07/2018 17:42, Pamela wrote:
I nearly lost all the
food in one of my freezers this summer and this gadget is a life
saver,

Normal people just go shopping every few days and get what they
need to last for a few days.

Unless you have a huge garden and grow your own veg and fruit,
there is no point in an oversized freezer full of things that
you have forgotten about anyway.

Not all of us live in cities and towns. My closest supermarkets are 40
miles away. Freezers and ample larder space are absolutely essential here.
When I lived in the middle of Edinburgh, I shopped for a few items every
day or two.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 30/07/18 12:06, Pamela wrote:
On 11:11 30 Jul 2018, Andrew wrote:

On 29/07/2018 17:42, Pamela wrote:
I nearly lost all the food in one of my freezers this summer and
this gadget is a life saver,

Normal people just go shopping every few days and get what they
need to last for a few days.

So sorry that my lifestyle doesn't match your expectation.

Unless you have a huge garden and grow your own veg and fruit,
there is no point in an oversized freezer full of things that you
have forgotten about anyway.

You have no idea of my circumstances or my preferences. If I want
two fridge freezers then that's what I will have. Are you going to
require me to grow fruit and veg to justify my fridge freezers?

Perhaps you would like to pop round and give me your opinion, as a
budding lifestyle coach, about the number of TVs I have. While
you're at it why don't you check out if I have the right number of
kitchen knives to meet with your approval.

Calm down dear. He's not from the EU, or the Labour party.

Oh and let me know if my doormat is big enough to be "normal".

--
The New Left are the people they warned you about.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Andrew wrote
Pamela wrote

I nearly lost all the food in one of my freezers this summer and this
gadget is a life saver,

Normal people just go shopping every few days and get what they need to
last for a few days.

Dont know anyone that stupid anymore.

Unless you have a huge garden and grow your own veg and fruit, there is no
point in an oversized freezer

Wrong, as always. Much more convenient to be able to
use whets in the freezer for the current meal than having
a much more limited choice from what you have just bought.

full of things that you have forgotten about anyway.

Mine isnt, and its as big as the fridge and both
are the biggest you can buy, for one person too.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Andrew" wrote in message
news
On 29/07/2018 16:11, Jim GM4DHJ ... wrote:

Best thing I've bought all year.

best thing I bought this year was a double cereal dispenser ...got a
black
one and a white one and a single one in black ....

The carboard boxes normally have a little flap so you can just pour it
right out of the box !.

Who on earth transfers cereals into another container ?.

Someone who wants it to last longer in a better container.

Posted to uk.tech.digital-tv,uk.d-i-y

On 29/07/2018 23:53, Rod Speed wrote:

"Max Demian" wrote in message
o.uk...
On 29/07/2018 21:30, Rod Speed wrote:
"Bill Wright" wrote in message
news On 29/07/2018 14:35, Jim K wrote:
Bill Wright Wrote in message:
On 29/07/2018 10:12, Harry Bloomfield wrote:

If I see a genuine bargain, I can
buy it there and then.

I got 15 peaches for £1.50 on the market the other day.

Did you haggle for a cash discount?

Yes. He wanted three quid but he was a wog so haggling came
naturally to him.

One of the garage salers who resells what she finds at garage sales
deliberately puts a higher price on the stuff she flogs at the markets
so that the buy can have a warm inner glow when they drive her
price down before they buy it. And yes, she is a wog, italian.

You mean a wop.

Nope.

You're right. I looked it up and your mangled English has a different
meaning for wog.

--
Max Demian
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Monday, 30 July 2018 11:11:18 UTC+1, Andrew wrote:
Normal people just go shopping every few days and get what they
need to last for a few days.

A lot of people get their bulk food shopping delivered. No point spending 2 x delivery fees if you can store more food and get 1 x delivery.

Owain
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
Pamela wrote:
On 11:13 30 Jul 2018, Andrew wrote:

On 29/07/2018 16:11, Jim GM4DHJ ... wrote:

Best thing I've bought all year.

best thing I bought this year was a double cereal dispenser
...got a black one and a white one and a single one in black ....

The carboard boxes normally have a little flap so you can just
pour it right out of the box !.

Who on earth transfers cereals into another container ?.

I used to do that for my mother. She had dementia and couldn't
understand the illustration on the boxes, so I would put the cereal
into clear plastic containers and get her to point at what she
wanted.

My mother had a rather nice set of enamelled tins in two sizes. Maybe a
wedding present. All labelled. Sugar, flour etc from the days when you
bought such things loose. And not one in the correctly labelled tin. Long
before she got dementia. I sort of grew up thinking this was the norm.

--
*INDECISION is the key to FLEXIBILITY *

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
wrote:
On Monday, 30 July 2018 11:11:18 UTC+1, Andrew wrote:
Normal people just go shopping every few days and get what they
need to last for a few days.

A lot of people get their bulk food shopping delivered. No point
spending 2 x delivery fees if you can store more food and get 1 x
delivery.

What do they do with all this time they've saved?

But then you'd likely need to freeze it given it is always the nearest to
the 'use by' date stuff they deliver. ;-)

--
*If you try to fail, and succeed, which have you done?

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Mon, 30 Jul 2018 11:18:11 +0100, Andrew wrote:

Does anyone still make Cxx cassettes now ?.

No. IIRC, the EU banned them. They also banned a lot of other things,
too. Like Turkish cigarettes in 1996 - *******s. Hey, I wonder if we'll
be able to get Turkish ciggies again after next March? That alone would
make it well worth leaving the EU!

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
Cursitor Doom wrote:
On Mon, 30 Jul 2018 11:18:11 +0100, Andrew wrote:

Does anyone still make Cxx cassettes now ?.

No. IIRC, the EU banned them.

plenty still on ebay. Other things had better quality, that's all.

--
from KT24 in Surrey, England
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
Cursitor Doom wrote:
On Mon, 30 Jul 2018 11:18:11 +0100, Andrew wrote:

Does anyone still make Cxx cassettes now ?.

No. IIRC, the EU banned them. They also banned a lot of other things,
too. Like Turkish cigarettes in 1996 - *******s. Hey, I wonder if we'll
be able to get Turkish ciggies again after next March? That alone would
make it well worth leaving the EU!

Do please carry on smoking cigarettes. You just know it makes sense.
Freedom of choice is far more important than anything else.

--
*Work is for people who don't know how to fish.

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
Andrew wrote:
On 29/07/2018 16:53, Steve Walker wrote:
I bought a twin cassette unit to add to my separates system (in the
late 90s). It cost me £120 at Richer sounds. An extra £20 bought a
10-year warranty, plus free head cleaning and free head re-alignment
throughout that period.

Does anyone still make Cxx cassettes now ?.

Of course. Pretty well all magnetic tape formats are still being made. But
you may not find them in Curries.

--
*The most wasted day of all is one in which we have not laughed.*

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
charles wrote:
In article ,
Cursitor Doom wrote:
On Mon, 30 Jul 2018 11:18:11 +0100, Andrew wrote:

Does anyone still make Cxx cassettes now ?.

No. IIRC, the EU banned them.

plenty still on ebay. Other things had better quality, that's all.

And a bit more convenient. You can transfer hundreds of cassettes to one
tiny memory stick. But I doubt Mr Doom understands such things.

--
*Can atheists get insurance for acts of God? *

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.

Posted to uk.tech.digital-tv,uk.d-i-y

"Harry Bloomfield" wrote in message
news
Jim K wrote on 29/07/2018 :
By encouraging tax evasion?

How did you arrive at that conclusion?

By 'cash' I mean funds in the bank, so 'cash' = cash and cards. Cash
available to use, means you can often get a 10% discount on a posted price
in a shop, especially true if they are offering interest free credit on an
item.

My understanding is that it is illegal to offer a discount in lieu of
Interest Free Credit.

--
JohnT

Posted to uk.tech.digital-tv,uk.d-i-y

Jim K wrote on 29/07/2018 :
By encouraging tax evasion?

How did you arrive at that conclusion?

By 'cash' I mean funds in the bank, so 'cash' = cash and cards. Cash
available to use, means you can often get a 10% discount on a posted
price in a shop, especially true if they are offering interest free
credit on an item.

My understanding is that it is illegal to offer a discount in lieu of
Interest Free Credit.

It might be illegal for someone to offer an incentive to take up a credit
plan (can't be bothered to find out).

it most certainly is not illegal to offer an incentive not to.

tim

--
JohnT

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Dave Plowman (News)" Wrote in message:
In article ,
Andrew wrote:
On 29/07/2018 16:53, Steve Walker wrote:
I bought a twin cassette unit to add to my separates system (in the
late 90s). It cost me £120 at Richer sounds. An extra £20 bought a
10-year warranty, plus free head cleaning and free head re-alignment
throughout that period.

Does anyone still make Cxx cassettes now ?.

Of course. Pretty well all magnetic tape formats are still being made. But
you may not find them in Curries.

Cassette tikka masala?
Jim K
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Mon, 30 Jul 2018 21:29:28 +1000, cantankerous senile geezer Rot Speed
blabbered, again:

Normal people just go shopping every few days and get what they need to
last for a few days.

Don¢t know anyone that stupid anymore.

Goes to show HOW stupid YOU are, senile Rot!

--
Richard addressing Rot Speed:
MID:

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Mon, 30 Jul 2018 21:30:41 +1000, cantankerous senile geezer Rot Speed
blabbered, again:

best thing I bought this year was a double cereal dispenser ...got a
black
one and a white one and a single one in black ....

The carboard boxes normally have a little flap so you can just pour it
right out of the box !.

Who on earth transfers cereals into another container ?.

Someone who wants it to last longer in a better container.

snicker HOW much longer would it last in a better container, you
self-opinionated endlessly driveling idiot?

--
pamela about Rot Speed:
"His off the cuff expertise demonstrates how little he knows..."

Posted to uk.tech.digital-tv,uk.d-i-y

"tim..." wrote in message
news

Jim K wrote on 29/07/2018 :
By encouraging tax evasion?

How did you arrive at that conclusion?

By 'cash' I mean funds in the bank, so 'cash' = cash and cards. Cash
available to use, means you can often get a 10% discount on a posted
price in a shop, especially true if they are offering interest free
credit on an item.

My understanding is that it is illegal to offer a discount in lieu of
Interest Free Credit.

It might be illegal for someone to offer an incentive to take up a credit
plan (can't be bothered to find out).

it most certainly is not illegal to offer an incentive not to.

Which isn't what I suggested.
The problem is that if Interest Free Credit is offered then it must be at
the price paid for the item. So if a discount is offered, then Interest Free
Credit must be offered on that discounted price also.
--
JohnT

--
JohnT

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
Tricky Dicky writes
I never buy extended warranties but accept them if offered "free". When
we bought our last washing machine the model we wanted came with such a
"free" 5 year warranty. On arrival we found the programmer control
damaged and requested a replacement. The company were unable to replace
it as it was the last of an end of line product, they offered a number
of alternatives of a similar price and spec. However, none of the
alternatives came with an extended warranty and to get them insured
would have cost £90 if I remember correctly. I argued with them that to
me the so called "free" warranty had monetary value and was an
influence in my purchase choice to end up paying a similar price for a
machine with an extended warranty meant accepting a much lower spec
machine or forking out more for one of a similar spec.

In the end they offered us a "free" warranty or an upgrade to a higher
spec machine to the value of purchasing a warranty. We chose the
upgrade and bought a Siemens which, and here comes the rub, came with a
free manufacturers extended warranty. So win win!

It did occur to me at the time that the extended free warranty was
obviously a sweetener to shift a number of end of line products but at
best it would only offer repairs as any machine could not be replaced
except by offering equivalents.

Incidently the machine never needed a repair over the period covered by
the warranty and it was only last year that I had to replace the motor
brushes.

Richard

If car manufacturers can offer 5 or 7 year warranties surely we can make
toaster to last the same time?
--
bert
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article , Pamela
writes
On 11:13 30 Jul 2018, Andrew wrote:

On 29/07/2018 16:11, Jim GM4DHJ ... wrote:

Best thing I've bought all year.

best thing I bought this year was a double cereal dispenser
...got a black one and a white one and a single one in black ....

The carboard boxes normally have a little flap so you can just
pour it right out of the box !.

Who on earth transfers cereals into another container ?.

I used to do that for my mother. She had dementia and couldn't
understand the illustration on the boxes, so I would put the cereal
into clear plastic containers and get her to point at what she
wanted.

Your mother's not the Queen?
--
bert

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 30/07/18 21:06, bert wrote:
[...]

if you are prepared to pay £600 for it...

its shoes.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"bert" wrote in message
[...]

The problem is that hardly anyone is prepared to pay that much more for
that reliable a toaster, so they arent economically viable to make.

Posted to uk.tech.digital-tv,uk.d-i-y

Jim K wrote on 29/07/2018 :
By encouraging tax evasion?

How did you arrive at that conclusion?

By 'cash' I mean funds in the bank, so 'cash' = cash and cards. Cash
available to use, means you can often get a 10% discount on a posted
price in a shop, especially true if they are offering interest free
credit on an item.

My understanding is that it is illegal to offer a discount in lieu of
Interest Free Credit.

No it is not.

Yes it is! If you offer interest free credit you are not required to state
an APR (because it is zero). But if you reduce the price for immediate
payment in full you are creating a different pricing structure. Unless you
offer ifc on the reduced price you are required to state the APR, which
would be based on the discounted price.
--
JohnT

Posted to uk.tech.digital-tv,uk.d-i-y

"johnt" wrote in message

news Jim K wrote on 29/07/2018 :
By encouraging tax evasion?

How did you arrive at that conclusion?

By 'cash' I mean funds in the bank, so 'cash' = cash and cards. Cash
available to use, means you can often get a 10% discount on a posted
price in a shop, especially true if they are offering interest free
credit on an item.

My understanding is that it is illegal to offer a discount in lieu of
Interest Free Credit.

No it is not.

Yes it is!

We'll see...

If you offer interest free credit you are not required to state an APR
(because it is zero). But if you reduce the price for immediate payment in
full you are creating a different pricing structure.

But that lower price doesn't involve any interest free
credit, so there is no requirement to state any APR,
and you are legally free to offer it at any price you like.

Unless you offer ifc on the reduced price you are required to state the
APR,

Not with something offered for payment
in full at the time of purchase you arent.

which would be based on the discounted price.

Not with something offered for payment
in full at the time of purchase.

Colin got a lower price for payment in full at the
time of purchase with items that have IFC available.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Monday, 30 July 2018 14:46:20 UTC+1, Dave Plowman (News) wrote:
In article ,
Andrew wrote:
On 29/07/2018 16:53, Steve Walker wrote:
I bought a twin cassette unit to add to my separates system (in the
late 90s). It cost me £120 at Richer sounds. An extra £20 bought a
10-year warranty, plus free head cleaning and free head re-alignment
throughout that period.

Does anyone still make Cxx cassettes now ?.

Of course. Pretty well all magnetic tape formats are still being made. But
you may not find them in Curries.

No, better to use vegetables for that

NT

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 30/07/18 21:41, Jock Green wrote:

"bert" wrote in message
[...]

The other problem is that a toaster manufacturer that made an
everlasting toaster would soon go out of business once everyone had one.

But Marxism is the crack cocaine.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

news

"bert" wrote in message
[...]

He wasnt talking about everlasting tho. And stainless steel cutlery is near
enough to everlasting and the manufactures dont go out of business much.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"bert" wrote in message
[...]

That's commonly accepted. But the old Dualits were pretty indestructible, and the result is they have a good rep & thus sell more. I guess the question is do you really want to produce more than 100% of the market - if you do then making something that lasts could indeed be a problem. Otherwise it just gets you more market share.

NT
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
The Natural Philosopher wrote:
The problem is that hardly anyone is prepared to pay that much more for
that reliable a toaster, so they arent economically viable to make.

The other problem is that a toaster manufacturer that made an
everlasting toaster would soon go out of business once everyone had one.

Many change such things for the latest design even when still working. In
the same way as people may redecorate a room, just for a change, rather
than it being tatty.

--
*The modem is the message *

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"bert" wrote in message
[...]

Strange isn't it that we forget that under UK law guarantee used to be 5 to 6 years if you can prove or show the appliance was faulty when purchased but we joined the EU and the guarantees were effectively cut to 2 years although it was easier in that you didn't need to prove anything.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
whisky-dave wrote:
Strange isn't it that we forget that under UK law guarantee used to be 5
to 6 years if you can prove or show the appliance was faulty when
purchased but we joined the EU and the guarantees were effectively cut
to 2 years although it was easier in that you didn't need to prove
anything.

You've had things repaired or replaced under that UK 6 year warranty?

Without taking the company to court?

--
*Reality is the illusion that occurs due to the lack of alcohol *

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Friday, 3 August 2018 10:45:26 UTC+1, Dave Plowman (News) wrote:
In article ,
whisky-dave wrote:
Strange isn't it that we forget that under UK law guarantee used to be 5
to 6 years if you can prove or show the appliance was faulty when
purchased but we joined the EU and the guarantees were effectively cut
to 2 years although it was easier in that you didn't need to prove
anything.

You've had things repaired or replaced under that UK 6 year warranty?

Not me, ut a friend has.

Without taking the company to court?

yes it was Apple.

They agreed to replace a part (graphics chip) in a laptop after it became faulty in the
4th year because it was faulty when built apple replaced this for everyone as it was a know problem.

https://www.macworld.co.uk/news/mac/...ramme-3497935/

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
whisky-dave wrote:
You've had things repaired or replaced under that UK 6 year warranty?

Not me, ut a friend has.

Without taking the company to court?

yes it was Apple.

They agreed to replace a part (graphics chip) in a laptop after it
became faulty in the 4th year because it was faulty when built apple
replaced this for everyone as it was a know problem.

https://www.macworld.co.uk/news/mac/...ramme-3497935/

If Apple fixed a design fault for everyone, not down to this UK 6 year
warranty?

--
*He's not dead - he's electroencephalographically challenged

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Friday, 3 August 2018 13:24:49 UTC+1, Dave Plowman (News) wrote:
In article ,
whisky-dave wrote:
You've had things repaired or replaced under that UK 6 year warranty?

Not me, ut a friend has.

Without taking the company to court?

yes it was Apple.

They agreed to replace a part (graphics chip) in a laptop after it
became faulty in the 4th year because it was faulty when built apple
replaced this for everyone as it was a know problem.

https://www.macworld.co.uk/news/mac/...ramme-3497935/

If Apple fixed a design fault for everyone, not down to this UK 6 year
warranty?

Did they for everyone why shold they ?
Differtn countries have diofernt trade agreements don't they ?.

We had a simialr thing wioth the VW car emmisons but those in the states got compensation those in the EU/UK did not.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
whisky-dave wrote:
If Apple fixed a design fault for everyone, not down to this UK 6 year
warranty?

Did they for everyone why shold they ?
Differtn countries have diofernt trade agreements don't they ?.

We had a simialr thing wioth the VW car emmisons but those in the states
got compensation those in the EU/UK did not.

So much for your 6 year UK warranty, then.

--
*WHY IS IT CALLED TOURIST SEASON IF WE CAN'T SHOOT AT THEM?

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.

Extended warranties - worth it? aspasia Home Repair 32 October 4th 06 04:14 PM
warranties stevie Home Repair 16 February 18th 06 04:48 AM
Home Inspectors, Home Warranties, and Sellerr Paid Items Kyle Boatright Home Repair 3 December 14th 05 07:54 PM
Delta Warranties? Good luck... John Dill Woodworking 7 July 27th 05 11:17 AM
Supplier's Warranties sam-hood @ 1rogers.com Metalworking 1 January 13th 04 03:08 AM