Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default extended warranties on electrical items

On 30/07/18 21:41, Jock Green wrote:

"bert" wrote in message
In article ,
Tricky Dicky writes
I never buy extended warranties but accept them if offered "free".
When we bought our last washing machine the model we wanted came with
such a "free" 5 year warranty. On arrival we found the programmer
control damaged and requested a replacement. The company were unable
to replace it as it was the last of an end of line product, they
offered a number of alternatives of a similar price and spec.
However, none of the alternatives came with an extended warranty and
to get them insured would have cost £90 if I remember correctly. I
argued with them that to me the so called "free" warranty had
monetary value and was an influence in my purchase choice to end up
paying a similar price for a machine with an extended warranty meant
accepting a much lower spec machine or forking out more for one of a
similar spec.

In the end they offered us a "free" warranty or an upgrade to a
higher spec machine to the value of purchasing a warranty. We chose
the upgrade and bought a Siemens which, and here comes the rub, came
with a free manufacturers extended warranty. So win win!

It did occur to me at the time that the extended free warranty was
obviously a sweetener to shift a number of end of line products but
at best it would only offer repairs as any machine could not be
replaced except by offering equivalents.

Incidently the machine never needed a repair over the period covered
by the warranty and it was only last year that I had to replace the
motor brushes.

Richard

If car manufacturers can offer 5 or 7 year warranties surely we can
make toaster to last the same time?

The problem is that hardly anyone is prepared to pay that much more for
that reliable a toaster, so they arent economically viable to make.

The other problem is that a toaster manufacturer that made an
everlasting toaster would soon go out of business once everyone had one.

But Marxism is the crack cocaine.