Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Which type of heater is best for a bathroom?

Apart from a central heating radiator, which we can't do (and even if
we could, the central heating won't be on during the night so it's a
non-starter anyway), what's the best type of heater for in a bathroom?

This query has been prompted by a rather unpleasant situation. The
ceiling height in our (small) bathroom is 7ft 6in and we currently have
a fan heater mounted on the wall at about 6ft high. The fan heater
starts off at 2kW and when IT thinks it's warm enough, IT switches down
to 1kW automatically.

At about 3am one very cold morning I was woken up with a dose of the
runs and spent about 50 minutes to an hour sat on the loo. Of course,
we all know that hot air rises, so up at ceiling level the room was
lovely and warm, so much so that the fan heater took it upon itself to
cut it's output down to 1kW. Meanwhile, at 'sat on toilet level' I'm
freezing me nads off and shivering for England, as well as suffering
the squits!

The fan heater has, just this very morning, gone to that great bathroom
in the sky and I'm wondering what we can replace it with that will
allow heat to get down to toilet height in order to avoid such a
situation again in the future.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Pete Zahut wrote:

The fan heater has, just this very morning, gone to that great bathroom
in the sky and I'm wondering what we can replace it with that will
allow heat to get down to toilet height in order to avoid such a
situation again in the future.

I'd have thought the obvious answer would be a small (1kW or 1.5kW)
radiant heater, preferably with a run-down timer so it doesn't get
left on permanently.

--
Chris Green
·
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Pete Zahut wrote:
[...]

How much do you want to spend? Electric underfloor heating would do what
you want but response time is slow so if you want a cosy loo in the middle
of the night, you really have to have it running all the time.

Im not sure whether a kickspace fan heater would be allowed in a small
bathroom but at least the heat would be starting off at floor level.

Tim

--
Please don't feed the trolls
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 27/03/2018 13:32, Pete Zahut wrote:
Apart from a central heating radiator, which we can't do (and even if we
could, the central heating won't be on during the night so it's a
non-starter anyway), what's the best type of heater for in a bathroom?

I suppose you could use a radiant heat insulated electric fire bar high
up or another fan heater. The former will warm surfaces and you slowly
by radiation the latter will warm the air in the room more quickly.

The fan heater has, just this very morning, gone to that great bathroom
in the sky and I'm wondering what we can replace it with that will allow
heat to get down to toilet height in order to avoid such a situation
again in the future.

Pity. It was probably the best chance in terms of warming up the air -
all you needed to do was disable the thermostat or set it impossibly
high. An air curtain/fan heater is about the best way to warm the air in
a room quickly.

You always have the problem that warm air rises but at least a fan
heater will stir things up if you set it up right. Done properly as a
door curtain it can also help keep warm are inside a heated room too.

--
Regards,
Martin Brown
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
Pete Zahut wrote:
[...]

A fan heater is by far and away the quickest way to heat a room when it is
actually needed.

Your problem is it is mounted high up, so its internal thermostat reacts
to the temperature up there. Rather than at your level - as you say hot
air rises.

You need an external thermostat mounted lower down to control the heater
if that is the only sensible place to site it.

--
*Microsoft broke Volkswagen's record: They only made 21.4 million bugs.

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 27/03/2018 13:45, Tim+ wrote:

Im not sure whether a kickspace fan heater would be allowed in a small
bathroom but at least the heat would be starting off at floor level.

Shops have ceiling mounted fan heaters directing the air flow towards
the floor. Why not something similar for a bathroom for almost a like
for like replacement.

Example:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Pifco-P4401...N9T8NK0HFGBWQX

or

https://tinyurl.com/y8h87tpp

You would have to check if its suitable for bathroom use.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Tuesday, 27 March 2018 13:31:59 UTC+1, Pete Zahut wrote:

[...]

Best option is a room sealed wall mounted gas heater. If you need to go electric, a metal cased fan heater is the best bet. If, despite it blowing down, you were freezing & it hot, I'd ask whether the house's insulation is adequate.

I'd also suggest using a separate CH type stat lower down. Fan heater stats tend to be uncompensated, making them hopeless. Check stat current ratings.

NT
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 27/03/2018 13:32, Pete Zahut wrote:

At about 3am one very cold morning I was woken up with a dose of the
runs and spent about 50 minutes to an hour sat on the loo. Of course, we
all know that hot air rises, so up at ceiling level the room was lovely
and warm, so much so that the fan heater took it upon itself to cut it's
output down to 1kW. Meanwhile, at 'sat on toilet level' I'm freezing me
nads off and shivering for England, as well as suffering the squits!

This is a wind-up right?

Unless you have a serious medical problem that sees you regularly
frequent the toilet for an hour or more at 03:00hrs it appears that
you're trying to create a solution to a problem that will most likely
never again occur in your lifetime... unless it's a regular occurrence
then perhaps there are more important things to worry about than keeping
warm whilst evacuating the entire contents of your intestines. ?

Curing the cause is the best solution surely?
Just a thought.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 27/03/18 13:32, Pete Zahut wrote:
[...]

Honestly an electric towel rail or stick electric UFH under the tiles

--
The lifetime of any political organisation is about three years before
its been subverted by the people it tried to warn you about.

Anon.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 27/03/18 14:19, wrote:
Best option is a room sealed wall mounted gas heater.

In a house with no gas?

"Saki"

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Tue, 27 Mar 2018 14:07:13 +0100, alan_m wrote:

On 27/03/2018 13:45, Tim+ wrote:

Im not sure whether a kickspace fan heater would be allowed in a small
bathroom but at least the heat would be starting off at floor level.

Shops have ceiling mounted fan heaters directing the air flow towards
the floor. Why not something similar for a bathroom for almost a like
for like replacement.

Example:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Pifco-P4401...f-Function/dp/

B00PPAVEZA/ref=pd_lpo_vtph_60_bs_t_1?
_encoding=UTF8&psc=1&refRID=KR11QCN9T8NK0HFGBWQX

or

https://tinyurl.com/y8h87tpp

You would have to check if its suitable for bathroom use.

Flat I visited recently had a fan heater just above the loo, pointing
downwards.

The OP doesn't describe how the fan heater was oriented so this may be the
way it was set up. Or not.

I wonder why the fan heater was binned before a replacement was sourced?

With yet another Beast From The East on the way this seems foolishly
impulsive.

Cheers

Dave R

---

Posted to uk.d-i-y

alan_m submitted this idea :
On 27/03/2018 13:45, Tim+ wrote:

Im not sure whether a kickspace fan heater would be allowed in a small
bathroom but at least the heat would be starting off at floor level.

Shops have ceiling mounted fan heaters directing the air flow towards the
floor. Why not something similar for a bathroom for almost a like for like
replacement.

Example:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Pifco-P4401...N9T8NK0HFGBWQX

or

https://tinyurl.com/y8h87tpp

You would have to check if its suitable for bathroom use.

That is the exact fan heater that has just self-distructed after many
years of service - but it's also the same fan heater that only heats
the top two feet of the 7ft 6in high room :-@
Posted to uk.d-i-y

David submitted this idea :

On 27/03/2018 13:45, Tim+ wrote:

[...]

Because it just blew itself up!

With yet another Beast From The East on the way this seems foolishly
impulsive.

Cheers

Dave R

Posted to uk.d-i-y

www.GymRatZ.co.uk wrote :
[...]

Irritable Bowel Syndrome can attack at any time, anywhere, so no,
absolutely NOT a wind-up!
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 27/03/2018 13:32, Pete Zahut wrote:
snip

The fan heater has, just this very morning, gone to that great bathroom
in the sky and I'm wondering what we can replace it with that will allow
heat to get down to toilet height in order to avoid such a situation
again in the future.

You might try an infrared heater[1] pointed at the loo. But it'll only
warm you from one direction; and won't warm your nads at all if they're
dangling in the shade.

Of course there's always a Japanese style toilet which will warm them
with a gentle spray of heated water...

[1] eg https://www.tlc-direct.co.uk/Products/DXIRX200N.html

--
Robin

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Pete Zahut explained on 27/03/2018 :
[...]

As it's causing so much speculation, here's a picture of the current
situation. I don't want a solution where I have to rip half the
bathroom apart or run new pipes/cables, all I want is a suggestion for
a better form of heating than this IF ONE EXISTS:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/iurace81rp...hroom.jpg?dl=0
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Tue, 27 Mar 2018 16:11:06 +0100, Pete Zahut wrote:

alan_m submitted this idea :
On 27/03/2018 13:45, Tim+ wrote:

Im not sure whether a kickspace fan heater would be allowed in a
small bathroom but at least the heat would be starting off at floor
level.

Shops have ceiling mounted fan heaters directing the air flow towards
the floor. Why not something similar for a bathroom for almost a like
for like replacement.

Example:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Pifco-P4401...f-Function/dp/

B00PPAVEZA/ref=pd_lpo_vtph_60_bs_t_1?
_encoding=UTF8&psc=1&refRID=KR11QCN9T8NK0HFGBWQX

or

https://tinyurl.com/y8h87tpp

You would have to check if its suitable for bathroom use.

That is the exact fan heater that has just self-distructed after many
years of service - but it's also the same fan heater that only heats the
top two feet of the 7ft 6in high room :-@

Yes - that looks very familiar.

At least this explains why the bloody thing kept turning itself off as I
was shivering on the khazi.

You would think that there might be a thermostat on it to allow raising
the cut off temperature a bit.

Thinking further, for your specific use it would be better without a
thermostat at all. Don't know if that is allowed within regulations but
this might be an option.

Cheers

Dave R

---

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 27/03/2018 16:14, Pete Zahut wrote:

Irritable Bowel Syndrome can attack at any time, anywhere, so no,
absolutely NOT a wind-up!

Ah so a medical condition which no doubt you've explored the plethora of
dietary eliminations and triggers etc. to no avail.

In which case, as others have suggested a glowy red radiant heater would
be your best friend. You could set one up on an "occupancy" PIR sensor,
just might need to wave your arms every now and again if it thinks
you've left the room.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Tuesday, 27 March 2018 13:31:59 UTC+1, Pete Zahut wrote:
This query has been prompted by a rather unpleasant situation. The
ceiling height in our (small) bathroom is 7ft 6in and we currently have
a fan heater mounted on the wall at about 6ft high. The fan heater
starts off at 2kW and when IT thinks it's warm enough, IT switches down
to 1kW automatically.

They do that. There aren't many truly thermostatically controlled fan heaters suitable for bathrooms.

I use a 500 watt t/stat controlled convector at low level. Warms the room adequately and doesn't run away with the lecky bill if left on accidentally.

Owain

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 27/03/2018 16:28, Pete Zahut wrote:
[...]

Fan heaters are usually good for heating the air rapidly. However they
need to be left on under thermostat control to keep a room warm. (I use
something similar controlled from an external stat in outbuildings just
to keep the chill off).

If you want a "I need to feel warm NOW" type of heater, then something like:

https://www.tlc-direct.co.uk/Products/DXIRX120N.html

will project heat at you. They are better at making the people in a room
feel warm, but not so good at heating the air.

--
Cheers,

John.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

[...]

Just take care about what you eat and drink.

--
Michael Chare
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Tuesday, 27 March 2018 15:19:26 UTC+1, The Natural Philosopher wrote:
[...]

both inadequate normally.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Tuesday, 27 March 2018 15:20:29 UTC+1, The Natural Philosopher wrote:
On 27/03/18 14:19, tabbypurr wrote:

Best option is a room sealed wall mounted gas heater.

In a house with no gas?

I'll leave you to figure out whether you can answer that one yourself.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Tuesday, 27 March 2018 16:10:28 UTC+1, Pete Zahut wrote:
alan_m submitted this idea :
On 27/03/2018 13:45, Tim+ wrote:

Im not sure whether a kickspace fan heater would be allowed in a small
bathroom but at least the heat would be starting off at floor level.

Shops have ceiling mounted fan heaters directing the air flow towards the
floor. Why not something similar for a bathroom for almost a like for like
replacement.

Example:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Pifco-P4401...N9T8NK0HFGBWQX

or

https://tinyurl.com/y8h87tpp

You would have to check if its suitable for bathroom use.

That is the exact fan heater that has just self-distructed after many
years of service - but it's also the same fan heater that only heats
the top two feet of the 7ft 6in high room :-@

Presumably the fan has inadequate power. If it's beyond repair, your best options are infra-red heater, typically 500-1kW, and another fan heater. But thermostatise them properly this time.

NT
Posted to uk.d-i-y

The Natural Philosopher laid this down on his screen :
On 27/03/18 14:19, wrote:
Best option is a room sealed wall mounted gas heater.

In a house with no gas?

Who said that we had no gas?

Posted to uk.d-i-y

on 27/03/2018, Michael Chare supposed :
[...]

If only it were that simple.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 27/03/2018 20:25, Pete Zahut wrote:
If only it were that simple.

Many years ago we had a fan heater wall mounted like yours in a
bathroom. It worked fine. I wonder if perhaps the fan on yours was not
powerful enough to blast the hot air down to floor level.

I'd look at infra red. You can point it at the khazi, and then you'll be
warm even if the room isn't.

Andy
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Robin wrote:

On 27/03/2018 13:32, Pete Zahut wrote:
snip

The fan heater has, just this very morning, gone to that great bathroom
in the sky and I'm wondering what we can replace it with that will allow
heat to get down to toilet height in order to avoid such a situation
again in the future.

You might try an infrared heater[1] pointed at the loo. But it'll only
warm you from one direction; and won't warm your nads at all if they're
dangling in the shade.

Of course there's always a Japanese style toilet which will warm them
with a gentle spray of heated water...

[1] eg https://www.tlc-direct.co.uk/Products/DXIRX200N.html

And, in some makes at least, a heated seat.

--

Roger Hayter
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Tuesday, 27 March 2018 20:24:40 UTC+1, Pete Zahut wrote:
[...]

I heard it can be fixed with a single magic word. The word is fodmap.

NT
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 27/03/2018 13:32, Pete Zahut wrote:

At about 3am one very cold morning I was woken up with a dose of the
runs and spent about 50 minutes to an hour sat on the loo. Of course, we
all know that hot air rises, so up at ceiling level the room was lovely
and warm, so much so that the fan heater took it upon itself to cut it's
output down to 1kW. Meanwhile, at 'sat on toilet level' I'm freezing me
nads off and shivering for England, as well as suffering the squits!

I have a lifetime bowel condition. My advice is to always put a jumper
or something on when you run to the bathroom, and also keep a dressing
gown in there.

Bill

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Bill Wright formulated on Tuesday :
On 27/03/2018 13:32, Pete Zahut wrote:

At about 3am one very cold morning I was woken up with a dose of the runs
and spent about 50 minutes to an hour sat on the loo. Of course, we all
know that hot air rises, so up at ceiling level the room was lovely and
warm, so much so that the fan heater took it upon itself to cut it's output
down to 1kW. Meanwhile, at 'sat on toilet level' I'm freezing me nads off
and shivering for England, as well as suffering the squits!

I have a lifetime bowel condition. My advice is to always put a jumper or
something on when you run to the bathroom, and also keep a dressing gown in
there.

Bill

Good idea about the jumper Bill. I had my dressing gown on and ended up
wrapping the towel around myself too - it was bloody cold!
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Vir Campestris wrote on 27/03/2018 :
On 27/03/2018 20:25, Pete Zahut wrote:
If only it were that simple.

Many years ago we had a fan heater wall mounted like yours in a bathroom. It
worked fine. I wonder if perhaps the fan on yours was not powerful enough to
blast the hot air down to floor level.

If you saw the photo I posted earlier, the hot air hardly makes it to
the top of the towel rail :-(

I'd look at infra red. You can point it at the khazi, and then you'll be warm
even if the room isn't.

Andy

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 27/03/2018 16:11, Pete Zahut wrote:
alan_m submitted this idea :

https://tinyurl.com/y8h87tpp

You would have to check if its suitable for bathroom use.

That is the exact fan heater that has just self-distructed after many
years of service - but it's also the same fan heater that only heats the
top two feet of the 7ft 6in high room :-@

If that is the exact fan then the fitting instructions suggest it can be
preset on installation for 1kW OR 2kW = it doesn't necessarily switch
from one setting to the other. The thermostat has 5 settings the higher
of which is 32 degrees C. On a down blowing fan heater 32C is bloody
hot, even at the ceiling height of the room. With a 7ft 6inch high
ceiling at 32c I would expect the temperature lower down to be in the
mid to high 20s C.

I wonder if either the thermostat was set too low on installation (the
lowest setting 7C, the highest 32C) or the safety cut out has been
kicking in on a regular basis. The safety cut-out prevents internal
overheating. Overheating may have been caused by a build up of dust semi
blocking the air flow. Luxury and soft toilet paper is a great source of
lots of fine airborne dust!

[quote from installation/operating instructions]
Ensure that dust or fluff does not accumulate inside the
heater as this could lead to overheating of the element. Use a
vacuum cleaner to remove any fluff which does accumulate.
[/quote]

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 27/03/2018 16:20, Robin wrote:

Of course there's always a Japanese style toilet which will warm them
with a gentle spray of heated water...

Why not just heat the water in the toilet bowl?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EViyccc2t9w

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 27/03/2018 23:54, alan_m wrote:

Why not just heat the water in the toilet bowl?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EViyccc2t9w

and for the shorter visits
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hIUJWIT9GrU

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 27/03/2018 16:28, Pete Zahut wrote:

As it's causing so much speculation, here's a picture of the current
situation. I don't want a solution where I have to rip half the bathroom
apart or run new pipes/cables, all I want is a suggestion for a better
form of heating than this IF ONE EXISTS:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/iurace81rp...hroom.jpg?dl=0

How fast do you think a 2W fan heater will heat a room to, say, 20C from
10C or 15C? I suspect it's a LOT longer than the time taken to go to
the loo during the night, ever for an hours worth of bowel evacuation.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 27/03/18 20:04, wrote:
[...]

Found both entirely adequate in reasonably insulated bathrooms

--
Of what good are dead warriors? €¦ Warriors are those who desire battle
more than peace. Those who seek battle despite peace. Those who thump
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Wednesday, 28 March 2018 01:28:06 UTC+1, The Natural Philosopher wrote:
On 27/03/18 20:04, tabbypurr wrote:
[...]

The op's house is heated yet the bathroom freezing cold, so it's not much insulated if at all.

NT