Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Maplin meltdown

Looks like Maplin's going down - any regrets? I've found it a bit
pricey in recent years but it's good for kids gifts, cheap batteries,
and some bits you need urgently.

https://www.theguardian.com/business...-business-live

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article 2018022810590560844-nospam@nospamcom,
John Smith wrote:
Looks like Maplin's going down - any regrets? I've found it a bit
pricey in recent years but it's good for kids gifts, cheap batteries,
and some bits you need urgently.

That was to me the problem. For components at one time the shops did tend
to stock at least most of them. And would post you them for free (fast) if
they didn't have them in stock. I didn't mind a trip to the shop as always
interesting things to look at - and always ended up buying things I didn't
go for as well.

But when they seemed to give up on components they also lost my trade for
other toys, etc.

--
*Bills travel through the mail at twice the speed of cheques *

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y
GB GB is offline

John Smith wrote:
Looks like Maplin's going down - any regrets? I've found it a bit
pricey in recent years but it's good for kids gifts, cheap batteries,
and some bits you need urgently.

That was to me the problem. For components at one time the shops did tend
to stock at least most of them. And would post you them for free (fast) if
they didn't have them in stock. I didn't mind a trip to the shop as always
interesting things to look at - and always ended up buying things I didn't
go for as well.

But when they seemed to give up on components they also lost my trade for
other toys, etc.

The crocodile clip on my car battery charger went ping into some dark
corner of the garage or other. After much searching, I gave up and
bought another one online. Delivered for £2. It's a crocodile clip with
a spade connector, so pretty unusual. Even had Maplin stocked such a
thing, they'd need to charge a tenner for it, I guess.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Wed, 28 Feb 2018 10:59:05 +0000, John Smith
wrote:

Looks like Maplin's going down - any regrets?

Oh. Erm, yes, sorta ... like when we lost Radio Shack / Tandy as they
were good for the odd thing, especially if you needed it quickly or
needed to check compatibility etc.

I've found it a bit
pricey in recent years

I found it 'ok' (for the convenience of a bricks and mortar store etc)
but you could generally get stuff cheaper online.

but it's good for kids gifts,

Yeah, daughter has built quite a few of the electronic kits they
stock.

cheap batteries,

I don't think I've ever bought batteries from them, only a couple of
rechargeable 'PowerBanks' when on special.

and some bits you need urgently.

Mostly, yes ... or are passing and might want to buy on sight rather
than spec (like cable for a non-standard use).

I've also bought a few things when they were on 'special' as they were
then often a bit cheaper than anywhere else.

https://www.theguardian.com/business...-business-live

And I think we are going to see more and more of this, especially from
any of those who are owned by Europeans or people wanting a foothold
in the EU.

Cheers, T i m
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 28/02/18 10:59, John Smith wrote:
Looks like Maplin's going down - any regrets? I've found it a bit pricey
in recent years but it's good for kids gifts, cheap batteries, and some
bits you need urgently.

https://www.theguardian.com/business...-business-live

Sadly the market for electronics as a hobby scaled back and changed and
RS/Farnell became available to everyone. Maplin never really found a
good market after that - it was toys and pseudo party/disco stuff (I
expect "real" DJs bought "real" equipment "from" real DJ stores)

With 100% hindsight, I wondered what they should have done? Focussed on
toys and phone and computer accessories (small rather than bulky items)
and run with things like arduinos and Pis when they came along (again
small, not massively high value stock.

They could have run basics like 1/4W resistors, LEDs and stuff from
behind the counter - but run a stock that was optimised for the Pi etc
market?

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Wednesday, 28 February 2018 11:58:57 UTC, Tim Watts wrote:
[...]

Although expensive compared to other suppliers some students did want to order from them but when we tried using their website the items kept disapearing from the basket on informing them they said they knew and that the on-line baskets got reset at night so unless we ordered there and then on the same day we'd loss the items. We haven't brought anything from them for about 3 years now.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 28/02/18 10:59, John Smith wrote:
Looks like Maplin's going down - any regrets? I've found it a bit pricey
in recent years but it's good for kids gifts, cheap batteries, and some
bits you need urgently.

https://www.theguardian.com/business...-business-live

Recovery...

Shut half the shops.
Focus more on selling project stuff than items of instant enlightenment,
Remove all the shelves to the back, think argos/screwfix/toolsatan
Stretch a counter across the branch,
Enter a components distribution partnership with Farnell/CPC/RS,
Sponsor staff to take electronic/electrical training,
Support the maker community with competitive pricing,
Support the PC builder community with competitive pricing.

Don't turn into Tandy MkII

--
Adrian C
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 28/02/2018 10:59, John Smith wrote:

Looks like Maplin's going down - any regrets?

Two I suppose...

Nostalgia for one - I grew up within walking distance of the first
Maplin shop, and have fond memories of going in with my list of
components for whatever the latest project was. It was quite interesting
to see the (in those days) highly knowledgeable staff at work - quite
often designing circuits on the fly for a customer when they explained
what they wanted to do etc.

On a more practical note, they were quite handy for the occasions where
one of our customers wanted some bit of electrical / computer "stuff" in
a hurry, and could not wait for next day delivery. You could furnish
them with an order code send em off to the nearest shop.

I've found it a bit pricey
in recent years but it's good for kids gifts, cheap batteries, and some
bits you need urgently.

That's part of the problem - the business model not matching either the
scale of their organisation or current trends.

The components and electronics hobby market used to be supported with
mail order and a single shop. They were even pioneers in electronic
ordering before the web - they had a dial in BBS ("Cashtel" IIRC) you
could place orders on. However the huge rise in the number of high
street shops required appealing to a much broader audience hence the
expansion into toys and gadgets etc.

--
Cheers,

John.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Tim Watts wrote:
With 100% hindsight, I wondered what they should have done? Focussed on
toys and phone and computer accessories (small rather than bulky items)
and run with things like arduinos and Pis when they came along (again
small, not massively high value stock.

There are some things that could have been done...
- Build a 'core components' range that every store had in stock, and clearly
label what's core and what's an 'extended range' item.
- Introduce automated component machines - most components are tape and reel
these days, so have a dispenser where you insert your credit card, click on
what you want, out pops the cut tape nicely bagged.

But, fundamentally, there's no profit in tuppenny resistors. You could sell
bulk packs like Screwfix ('all the E12 resistors') but that doesn't work for
other components. You can cut costs by automating, but the volume isn't
there - someone on minimum wage serving 20 customers an hour is cheaper than
a machine serving 20 customers an hour (because that's all there are), and
making less profit than selling a single 10 pound HDMI cable.

I think they've also been hit hard by the amount of shady VAT practices from
Chinese sellers on ebay and Amazon - subsidised shipping from China,
sneaking under VAT thresholds/lax customs inspection, claiming goods are
outside the EU and then fulfilling from a warehouse inside the EU. If the
HDMI cable is 99p free shipping, who is going to say no?

So I think they had a choice:
- go much more against Farnell and RS for commercial customers, who do buy
stuff in enough volume to make it worthwhile. Companies like Rapid have
managed to make this work

- go into services. For example, why was mobile phone unlocking the preserve
of market stalls and backstreet shops? Where do people go when they break
the charging port on their laptop? Maybe also 3D printing on demand (send
your model by 5pm, it'll be ready next morning) and quick-turnaround PCB
fab.

Would it pay? I don't know, but it's probably harder work than selling £4
coffees.

Theo
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 28/02/2018 12:13, Adrian Caspersz wrote:
On 28/02/18 10:59, John Smith wrote:
Looks like Maplin's going down - any regrets? I've found it a bit
pricey in recent years but it's good for kids gifts, cheap batteries,
and some bits you need urgently.

https://www.theguardian.com/business...-business-live

Recovery...

Shut half the shops.
Focus more on selling project stuff than items of instant enlightenment,
Remove all the shelves to the back, think argos/screwfix/toolsatan
Stretch a counter across the branch,
Enter a components distribution partnership with Farnell/CPC/RS,
Sponsor staff to take electronic/electrical training,
Support the maker community with competitive pricing,
Support the PC builder community with competitive pricing.

Don't turn into Tandy MkII

Much of that describes what it was like walking into the Westcliff shop
in 1980! A few things on display to look at. Loads of built up synth
kits / speakers / amps etc in the window, and a pair of (new and
exciting) Atari 400 / 800 computers surrounded by a swarm of kids trying
to get a look in. The rest of the shop packed with people waiting to be
served in a kind of "open all hours" shop environment - staff behind the
counter going off and collecting the bits of your order before
presenting it all in a taped up plastic bag at the end.

--
Cheers,

John.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Wednesday, 28 February 2018 13:02:44 UTC, Theo wrote:
Tim Watts wrote:
With 100% hindsight, I wondered what they should have done? Focussed on
toys and phone and computer accessories (small rather than bulky items)
and run with things like arduinos and Pis when they came along (again
small, not massively high value stock.

There are some things that could have been done...
- Build a 'core components' range that every store had in stock, and clearly
label what's core and what's an 'extended range' item.

Are you sure there is a market for such things as I don't, especailly when you can get things on-line.

- Introduce automated component machines - most components are tape and reel
these days, so have a dispenser where you insert your credit card, click on
what you want, out pops the cut tape nicely bagged.

Those machines are very expensive and there's still not the market volume.

But, fundamentally, there's no profit in tuppenny resistors. You could sell
bulk packs like Screwfix ('all the E12 resistors') but that doesn't work for
other components. You can cut costs by automating, but the volume isn't
there - someone on minimum wage serving 20 customers an hour is cheaper than
a machine serving 20 customers an hour (because that's all there are), and
making less profit than selling a single 10 pound HDMI cable.

and far less hassle with returns.

I think they've also been hit hard by the amount of shady VAT practices from
Chinese sellers on ebay and Amazon - subsidised shipping from China,
sneaking under VAT thresholds/lax customs inspection, claiming goods are
outside the EU and then fulfilling from a warehouse inside the EU. If the
HDMI cable is 99p free shipping, who is going to say no?

Yes it's mostly down to price.

So I think they had a choice:
- go much more against Farnell and RS for commercial customers, who do buy
stuff in enough volume to make it worthwhile. Companies like Rapid have
managed to make this work

Rapid were brought out by conrad a year or so ago.

- go into services.

Why hardly any servicing in down nowerdays.

For example, why was mobile phone unlocking the preserve
of market stalls and backstreet shops? Where do people go when they break
the charging port on their laptop?

They go to computer repair places.

Maybe also 3D printing on demand (send
your model by 5pm, it'll be ready next morning) and quick-turnaround PCB
fab.

Try doing it and you'd understand, who will check their designs are correct..

Would it pay? I don't know, but it's probably harder work than selling £4
coffees.

Yes and you can pay someone £2 or less an hour to serve coffee, if you have someone that can operate a 3D printer and PCB stuff you need a lot of equipment and someone that knows what they are doing and that is at least a £20 an hour job if not more.

Theo

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
Adrian Caspersz wrote:
On 28/02/18 10:59, John Smith wrote:
Looks like Maplin's going down - any regrets? I've found it a bit pricey
in recent years but it's good for kids gifts, cheap batteries, and some
bits you need urgently.

https://www.theguardian.com/business...-business-live

Recovery...

Shut half the shops.
Focus more on selling project stuff than items of instant enlightenment,
Remove all the shelves to the back, think argos/screwfix/toolsatan
Stretch a counter across the branch,
Enter a components distribution partnership with Farnell/CPC/RS,
Sponsor staff to take electronic/electrical training,
Support the maker community with competitive pricing,
Support the PC builder community with competitive pricing.

Don't turn into Tandy MkII

There was nothing wrong with Tandy MkI. They got a good deal from Carphone
Warehouse to buy up their shops and the company took the profit and
vanished.
Interestingly, in Guildford, Carphone warehouse moved premises and Maplins
is now where Tandy used to be.

--
from KT24 in Surrey, England
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 28/02/18 13:07, John Rumm wrote:
Much of that describes what it was like walking into the Westcliff shop
in 1980! A few things on display to look at. Loads of built up synth
kits / speakers / amps etc in the window, and a pair of (new and
exciting) Atari 400 / 800 computers surrounded by a swarm of kids trying
to get a look in. The rest of the shop packed with people waiting to be
served in a kind of "open all hours" shop environment - staff behind the
counter going off and collecting the bits of your order before
presenting it all in a taped up plastic bag at the end.

Hammersmith in the 70s-80s too - I can picture it. Thin shop, 3/4s long
counter, 3-4 bods behind. They liked it if you'd compiled a list with
order codes on.

Often disappointment as they were always out of something, but they were
knowledgeable enough to suggest an alternative if possible.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
Tim Watts wrote:
[...]

Well, they certainly can't blame the trend for online purchasing as TRU
has done, as they were pretty early with a web presence. And doing mail
order by telephone before that. Round here they expanded into high rent
high street shops rather than their earlier rather out of the way ones.
Just as the high street was dying.

--
He who laughs last, thinks slowest*

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Wed, 28 Feb 2018 12:13:31 +0000, Adrian Caspersz wrote:

On 28/02/18 10:59, John Smith wrote:
Looks like Maplin's going down - any regrets? I've found it a bit pricey
in recent years but it's good for kids gifts, cheap batteries, and some
bits you need urgently.

https://www.theguardian.com/business...-business-live

Recovery...

Shut half the shops.
Focus more on selling project stuff than items of instant enlightenment,
Remove all the shelves to the back, think argos/screwfix/toolsatan
Stretch a counter across the branch,
Enter a components distribution partnership with Farnell/CPC/RS,

What makes you think that business model is viable?

All those companies hold huge stocks and deliver next day, often for free with a
big enough order or the right selection of hazardous items.

They have as many trade counters as they think they need, they do not need
'retail' or pseudo trade outlets

CPC have just one trade counter in Preston.

RS have 16 trade counters and don't appear to have opened any new ones for a
decade or more, the lack of weekend opening can be a PITA compared to the likes
of Toolstation/Screwfix and sometimes when you think they ought to be busy you
might be the only customer in there. Sometimes the item you want is not in
stock but at least you can order online for collection the next working day
which avoids having someone hang around to receive and sign for the parcel.

Finally Farnell had only one trade counter at their UK warehouse, open six days
a week since the 1940's...they closed it last year.

The idea of half of the existing Maplin stores or to put it another way 100
stores across the country being instrumental in increasing the turnover of any
or all of these long established primarily industrial next day mail order
companies and making a profit for both them and the parent appears a pipe dream.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Wednesday, 28 February 2018 13:41:32 UTC, Tim Watts wrote:
On 28/02/18 13:07, John Rumm wrote:
Much of that describes what it was like walking into the Westcliff shop
in 1980! A few things on display to look at. Loads of built up synth
kits / speakers / amps etc in the window, and a pair of (new and
exciting) Atari 400 / 800 computers surrounded by a swarm of kids trying
to get a look in. The rest of the shop packed with people waiting to be
served in a kind of "open all hours" shop environment - staff behind the
counter going off and collecting the bits of your order before
presenting it all in a taped up plastic bag at the end.

Hammersmith in the 70s-80s too - I can picture it.

I never went there as I prefered Edgeware road where they was a Marchells(SP) which had components in multidraw storage units and Henrys where they had lots of cheap stuff and boards to unsolder, there were other electronic shops too, and then there was tottenham court road another fun place in the 70s for such hobbies, which no longer exists most just download a app top their phone.

you could browse around. Thin shop, 3/4s long
counter, 3-4 bods behind. They liked it if you'd compiled a list with
order codes on.

Often disappointment as they were always out of something, but they were
knowledgeable enough to suggest an alternative if possible.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Wednesday, 28 February 2018 14:00:21 UTC, Dave Plowman (News) wrote:
In article ,
Tim Watts wrote:
[...]

I'm suprised T i m hasn't blamed Brexit or left-brainers or is it right-brainers.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

charles wrote:
In article ,
Adrian Caspersz wrote:

Recovery...

[snip]
Don't turn into Tandy MkII

That might suit you or I. Are there enough similar punters out there to
make it pay?

(and even you or I might go online if it's easier than driving into town and
finding parking)

Interestingly, in Guildford, Carphone warehouse moved premises and Maplins
is now where Tandy used to be.

I assume Basic Electronics isn't still around? That was always a far better
option than Tandy, who operated a B&Q approach to components (five resistors
in a blister pack for 1.99).

Theo
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
The Other Mike wrote:
The idea of half of the existing Maplin stores or to put it another way
100 stores across the country being instrumental in increasing the
turnover of any or all of these long established primarily industrial
next day mail order companies and making a profit for both them and the
parent appears a pipe dream.

In the late 90s, Maplin did seem to be going into competition with the
likes of RS, with a much increased range of components and bulk discounts.
I've kept a catalogue from then as it has lots of useful info - not just
sales stuff. In those days RS were even more expensive relatively than
now, and difficult to get an account with for a small business or paying
hobby.

But IIRC, they changed hands (or management) round about then, and also
direction.

--
*Middle age is when work is a lot less fun - and fun a lot more work.

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
whisky-dave wrote:
[...]

and Lisle Street before that

--
from KT24 in Surrey, England

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article , Theo
wrote:
charles wrote:
In article , Adrian Caspersz
wrote:

Recovery...

[snip]
Don't turn into Tandy MkII

That might suit you or I. Are there enough similar punters out there to
make it pay?

(and even you or I might go online if it's easier than driving into town
and finding parking)

Interestingly, in Guildford, Carphone warehouse moved premises and
Maplins is now where Tandy used to be.

I assume Basic Electronics isn't still around? That was always a far
better option than Tandy, who operated a B&Q approach to components (five
resistors in a blister pack for 1.99).

Sadly, Basic had to move out when the cinema was pulled down. They found
new premises, but so far off the beaten track that there was no passing
trade. So, yes, they've gone.

--
from KT24 in Surrey, England
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 28/02/2018 11:37, T i m wrote:

And I think we are going to see more and more of this, especially from

any of those who are owned by Europeans or people wanting a foothold
in the EU.

Yep, amazon and ebay are going to quit the UK next!

F**k All to do with brexit and more to do with not understanding a
changing market coupled with poor management. Also, possibly ill advised
long leases on inappropriate buildings a taken out a decade ago.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 28/02/18 13:41, Tim Watts wrote:
On 28/02/18 13:07, John Rumm wrote:
Much of that describes what it was like walking into the Westcliff
shop in 1980! A few things on display to look at. Loads of built up
synth kits / speakers / amps etc in the window, and a pair of (new and
exciting) Atari 400 / 800 computers surrounded by a swarm of kids
trying to get a look in. The rest of the shop packed with people
waiting to be served in a kind of "open all hours" shop environment -
staff behind the counter going off and collecting the bits of your
order before presenting it all in a taped up plastic bag at the end.

Hammersmith in the 70s-80s too - I can picture it. Thin shop, 3/4s long
counter, 3-4 bods behind. They liked it if you'd compiled a list with
order codes on.

I was 'geeky' knowledgeable enough to give then the codes with 4 letters
instead of 5 (just to speed things up - last letter was redundant).

Often disappointment as they were always out of something, but they were
knowledgeable enough to suggest an alternative if possible.

Been to both Westcliff & Hammersmith, and also had the luxury of one of
the next London shops opening near me at Burnt Oak, which is now a
rather large Costa coffee shop

Yup, miss the old Maplin.

Can't help but wonder if the successful Screwfix counter model could
have worked with them? Would love a CPC counter shop to open somewhere
in the south of England.

IMO Maplin's doom for constructors was set way back in 1994 when Saltire
bought them to sell their Altai tat (their connectors were really *bad*
- I'd rather go to RS), and further when they got shot of their magazine
and projects printed in the catalogue, that with the sci-fi artily drawn
cover. It used to be worth paying for the publication for the data
sheets within (transistor pinouts?) but then they lost that, and then
the Internet 'happened'.

For old times sake, there is still a couple of copies of that toomb on
my book shelf, which as a kid experimenter I knew the contents of almost
as well as the text from Hitch-Hikers Guide to the Galaxy. Indeed, a
good friend in Southend used to actually write some of the contents of
the magazine and also edited their catalogue on occasion.

* http://www.americanradiohistory.com/...lectronics.htm

--
Adrian C

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 28/02/2018 13:07, John Rumm wrote:

Much of that describes what it was like walking into the Westcliff shop
in 1980! A few things on display to look at. Loads of built up synth
kits / speakers / amps etc in the window,

And a few streets away Bi pre-pack (??) selling recycled electronic
items and mainly reject (seconds) individual components, including full
kits of wax coated carbon resistors. It was a mainly mail order with
items bagged in quantities of 10 hence the name of the company. In the
end Maplin probably took them out by selling first class specified
components at similar prices.

Also the ramshackle shop, which I cannot remember the name of, on the
opposite corner to the Cricketers Pub, Westcliff which had multi page
adverts in some radio/hobbyist magazines. They did most business by old
fashioned mail order but I fail to understand how they found anything.
The whole place was stacked floor to ceiling, including the window and
entrance corridor with opened boxes with the empty boxes left where they
fell. The shop window floor was littered with items that had fallen from
the boxes.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In the late 90s, Maplin did seem to be going into competition with the
likes of RS, with a much increased range of components and bulk discounts.
I've kept a catalogue from then as it has lots of useful info - not just
sales stuff. In those days RS were even more expensive relatively than
now, and difficult to get an account with for a small business or paying
hobby.

But IIRC, they changed hands (or management) round about then, and also
direction.

Was this when they re-branded Maplin Professional Supplies and then went
down the Kentucky Fried Crap route and re-branded again as MPS? The
large company I worked for at the time allowed purchase from them but it
didn't last long - I suspect because RS/Farnell ended up cheaper.
Account customers got a large discount from RS/Farnell when the annual
spend was in the £100,000s. However, it was not unusual for RS/Farnell
to suspend the supply of components when the invoice wasn't paid on time

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Wed, 28 Feb 2018 15:13:44 +0000, alan_m
wrote:

On 28/02/2018 11:37, T i m wrote:

And I think we are going to see more and more of this, especially from

any of those who are owned by Europeans or people wanting a foothold
in the EU.

Yep, amazon and ebay are going to quit the UK next!

Yes, because they don't have offices outside the UK do they? rolls
eyes.

F**k All to do with brexit

What, in *every* instance or just regarding Maplin (that I wasn't
referring to specifically)? What part the word 'especially' didn't you
get?

Why are you fanatic Brexiteers so defensive (or easily confused) or
keen to deny the undeniable? ;-(

and more to do with not understanding a
changing market coupled with poor management.

No!

Also, possibly ill advised
long leases on inappropriate buildings a taken out a decade ago.

Quite?

Sorry, did you think you were telling me something I didn't already
know? ;-)

Cheers, T i m

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Wed, 28 Feb 2018 15:25:02 +0000, Adrian Caspersz wrote:

IMO Maplin's doom for constructors was set way back in 1994 when Saltire
bought them to sell their Altai tat (their connectors were really *bad*
- I'd rather go to RS), and further when they got shot of their magazine
and projects printed in the catalogue, that with the sci-fi artily drawn
cover. It used to be worth paying for the publication for the data
sheets within (transistor pinouts?) but then they lost that, and then
the Internet 'happened'.

I still have some Maplin magazines somewhere.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
alan_m wrote:

[...]

The 90s cats I've got here are still marked Maplin. So not sure when they
re-branded.

I was very loyal to them at one time and bought just about all components
from them. Phone them (before the internet really took hold) and things
arrived first post the next day, and for free if above a certain order
value. Which I was happy enough to inflate the order to. ;-) Prices were
reasonably competitive.

Can't really remember what changed initially to make me look elsewhere.

--
*Some days you're the dog, some days the hydrant.

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Yes they have over reached themselves and now the business rates and
property rents have shot up and they are not selling enough to cover it.
they should have pulled back a couple of years ago, back to their core
business and out of some of the less lucrative areas.

Brian

--
----- -
The Sofa of Brian Gaff...

Blind user, so no pictures please!
"John Smith" wrote in message
Looks like Maplin's going down - any regrets? I've found it a bit pricey
in recent years but it's good for kids gifts, cheap batteries, and some
bits you need urgently.

https://www.theguardian.com/business...-business-live

Posted to uk.d-i-y
jkn jkn is offline

On Wednesday, February 28, 2018 at 4:31:06 PM UTC, Bob Eager wrote:
On Wed, 28 Feb 2018 15:39:07 +0000, alan_m wrote:

And a few streets away Bi pre-pack (??) selling recycled electronic
items and mainly reject (seconds) individual components, including full
kits of wax coated carbon resistors. It was a mainly mail order with
items bagged in quantities of 10 hence the name of the company. In the
end Maplin probably took them out by selling first class specified
components at similar prices.

Bi-Pak?

IIRC there were two - Bi-pak *and* Bi-Pre-Pak - advertising in the magazines of
the time (Practical|Everyday Electronics etc.). As a youngster I never
understood whether they were one and the same, or one was copying the other..

I grew up with a printed copy of the Henry's catalogue to drool over... I only
ever got to visit the shop in Edgeware Road many years after its prime.

Jon N
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article , jkn
wrote:
On Wednesday, February 28, 2018 at 4:31:06 PM UTC, Bob Eager wrote:
On Wed, 28 Feb 2018 15:39:07 +0000, alan_m wrote:

And a few streets away Bi pre-pack (??) selling recycled electronic
items and mainly reject (seconds) individual components, including
full kits of wax coated carbon resistors. It was a mainly mail order
with items bagged in quantities of 10 hence the name of the company.
In the end Maplin probably took them out by selling first class
specified components at similar prices.

Bi-Pak?

-- My posts are my copyright and if @diy_forums or Home Owners' Hub
wish to copy them they can pay me £1 a message. Use the BIG mirror
service in the UK: http://www.mirrorservice.org *lightning surge
protection* - a w_tom conductor

IIRC there were two - Bi-pak *and* Bi-Pre-Pak - advertising in the
magazines of the time (Practical|Everyday Electronics etc.). As a
youngster I never understood whether they were one and the same, or one
was copying the other.

I grew up with a printed copy of the Henry's catalogue to drool over... I
only ever got to visit the shop in Edgeware Road many years after its
prime.

They had more than one. The Edgeware Road Flyover took one out, though.

--
from KT24 in Surrey, England
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 28/02/18 15:39, alan_m wrote:
On 28/02/2018 13:07, John Rumm wrote:

Also the ramshackle shop, which I cannot remember the name of, on the
opposite corner to the Cricketers Pub, Westcliff which had multi page
adverts in some radio/hobbyist magazines. They did most business by old
fashioned mail order but I fail to understand how they found anything.
The whole place was stacked floor to ceiling, including the window and
entrance corridor with opened boxes with the empty boxes left where they
fell. The shop window floor was littered with items that had fallen from
the boxes.

Sendz Components. Marvellous place

--
Adrian C

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Wed, 28 Feb 2018 14:25:55 +0000 (GMT), "Dave Plowman (News)"
wrote:

In article ,
The Other Mike wrote:
The idea of half of the existing Maplin stores or to put it another way
100 stores across the country being instrumental in increasing the
turnover of any or all of these long established primarily industrial
next day mail order companies and making a profit for both them and the
parent appears a pipe dream.

In the late 90s, Maplin did seem to be going into competition with the
likes of RS, with a much increased range of components and bulk discounts.
I've kept a catalogue from then as it has lots of useful info - not just
sales stuff. In those days RS were even more expensive relatively than
now, and difficult to get an account with for a small business or paying
hobby.

But IIRC, they changed hands (or management) round about then, and also
direction.

Can't recall when as I was working and living overseas lots during the
1990's/early 2000's but I think Maplin actually had an industrial catalogue at
some point, essentially the same as the consumer one but with more price breaks
for quantities and prices excluding VAT.

By the time they realised the potential of the industrial market for more than
just electronics they were crushed by the like of RS & Farnell with their ever
expanding and massive stocklines plus having all the existing customers who had
been using them for decades. Farnell iirc never went beyond two very thick
catalogue volumes, RS iirc ended up with six varying size volumes at one point.

What we don't have in the UK is the likes of McMaster Carr that they have in the
US.

https://www.mcmaster.com

Literally what seemed like hundreds of thousands mechanical product lines, next
day delivery to the mainland US on almost everything from a tiny setscrew to a
large UK flag.

The printed catalogues are (were?) huge, around the size of the CPC catalogues
at 3000 pages or so with a high product density per page. Guaranteed eye strain
and arm strain within a few minutes.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
alan_m writes:

[...]

I worked for a startup ISV in the late 1990's, and although we were
mostly software, we bought quite a lot of hardware. Initially, that
was all through Maplin because I knew them from my hobby, but eventually
we wanted more specialist things they didn't stock, so I applied for an
RS account. Back came reams of paperwork to fill in. A few days later,
with the paperwork still in my in-tray, and Farnell salesman knocked on
the door and said "Can I open a credit account for you?". I said yes, and
they didn't require any paperwork. Maplin and RS both lost out to that.
It was one hell of a coincidence - I did wonder if someone inside RS
was leaking data out to their competitors.

When I was at Sun Microsystems, we often put in CPC orders for staff
(not for Sun itself - CPC wasn't on their list of suppliers).
CPC set up a Staff sales scheme for us with a 10% discount after which
it got to around 2-3 per week and the annual value over £25k.

I think Maplin made some wrong decisions over the years. I think there
would be a market for them to be something resembling CPC retail outlet,
and although electronics reduced as a hobby in perhaps the 1980's and
1990's, there's no reason they couldn't be a key part of the maker
movement today. I did write to them some months ago (probably too late
in hindsight) suggesting they should do things the mail-order companies
can't, such as running evening events in their stores for people
(particularly children) to bring their Pi and Microbit and other
electronics projects along and get help from each other and other mentors,
and have parts available to purchase, and it would cost them very little
to set this up.

I think they missed a big opportunty. That may mean there's a chance
for someone else to see this and buy part of the business, but that's
generally harder than fixing things before running in to the buffers.

And as someone said, I really can't imagine why bothering to stock
up with loads of £14 HDMI leads when you can buy them from Poundland
100 yards away.

--
Andrew Gabriel
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 2018-03-01, Andrew Gabriel wrote:

I worked for a startup ISV in the late 1990's, and although we were
mostly software, we bought quite a lot of hardware. Initially, that
was all through Maplin because I knew them from my hobby, but eventually
we wanted more specialist things they didn't stock, so I applied for an
RS account. Back came reams of paperwork to fill in. A few days later,
with the paperwork still in my in-tray, and Farnell salesman knocked on
the door and said "Can I open a credit account for you?". I said yes, and
they didn't require any paperwork. Maplin and RS both lost out to that.
It was one hell of a coincidence - I did wonder if someone inside RS
was leaking data out to their competitors.

Apropos not much, I always considered Maplin a bit of a toy shop rather
than a serious electronics components supplier, even back in the 80's.
I was spoiled by having Electrovalue in walking distance though, anyone
remember them? Spent hours queuing there on Saturday mornings. Problem
with Maplin was they never seemed to have everything in stock, and if
you're building something, missing even one part is a killer.

Later discovered Farnell, and even got a trade account set up while still
at Uni, at their suggestion. This was in sharp contrast to RS, who wouldn't
even let me have a catalogue. Put a lot of business in Farnells direction
since then, and precisely none to RS.

Not surprised Maplins are on the rocks. As has been said, town centre retail
is dead. Battle the car-hating councils obstacle course to get there in the
first place. Pay more in parking than for next-day delivery. Dodge the
chuggers and beggars to get to the one store you actually need to visit.
No wonder there's only pound shops, betting shops and takeaways left, it's
only fit for people with lots of free time and no money.

--
Ian

"Tamahome!!!" - "Miaka!!!"
Posted to uk.d-i-y
jkn jkn is offline

On Wednesday, February 28, 2018 at 10:36:43 PM UTC, Adrian Caspersz wrote:
On 28/02/18 15:39, alan_m wrote:
On 28/02/2018 13:07, John Rumm wrote:

Also the ramshackle shop, which I cannot remember the name of, on the
opposite corner to the Cricketers Pub, Westcliff which had multi page
adverts in some radio/hobbyist magazines. They did most business by old
fashioned mail order but I fail to understand how they found anything.
The whole place was stacked floor to ceiling, including the window and
entrance corridor with opened boxes with the empty boxes left where they
fell. The shop window floor was littered with items that had fallen from
the boxes.

Sendz Components. Marvellous place

--
Adrian C

A sort-of upmarket competitor to Henry's etc. was 'Home Radio' - very much the
Waitrose end of things. I had one of their catalogues as well (with an artistic
Barbara Hepworth scuplure on the front, you'd never get that with Henrys).

I never bought anything from Home Radio but the MD used to have an occasional
column in one of the hobby magazines. I remember him writing, only
semi-jokingly I presume, about their stock control methods. He said that each
stock item was stored in a cardboard box, and every so often they'd look at
each box:

- if it was nearly empty, they'd order some more
- if it was empty and tatty, they'd order a lot more
- it the box had dust on it, they'd order a few more
- if it was full and had dust on it they'd think about discontinuing it
ect.

As the years have gone by I have occasionally considered that there are
worse methods...

J^n

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 2018-03-01, Ian wrote:

[24 lines snipped]

Not surprised Maplins are on the rocks. As has been said, town centre retail
is dead. Battle the car-hating councils obstacle course to get there in the
first place. Pay more in parking than for next-day delivery. Dodge the
chuggers and beggars to get to the one store you actually need to visit.
No wonder there's only pound shops, betting shops and takeaways left, it's
only fit for people with lots of free time and no money.

*applause*

Yup. Take Cambridge as an example. They dont WANT cars anywhere NEAR the
town

Presumably they think that the pointy headed cyclists will be enoogh
customers to keep the town centre alive. History shows its dying though

fully understood.