Posted to uk.d-i-y
alan_m alan_m is offline

Default Maplin meltdown

In the late 90s, Maplin did seem to be going into competition with the
likes of RS, with a much increased range of components and bulk discounts.
I've kept a catalogue from then as it has lots of useful info - not just
sales stuff. In those days RS were even more expensive relatively than
now, and difficult to get an account with for a small business or paying
hobby.

But IIRC, they changed hands (or management) round about then, and also
direction.

Was this when they re-branded Maplin Professional Supplies and then went
down the Kentucky Fried Crap route and re-branded again as MPS? The
large company I worked for at the time allowed purchase from them but it
didn't last long - I suspect because RS/Farnell ended up cheaper.
Account customers got a large discount from RS/Farnell when the annual
spend was in the £100,000s. However, it was not unusual for RS/Farnell
to suspend the supply of components when the invoice wasn't paid on time