Posted to uk.d-i-y
The Other Mike[_3_] The Other Mike[_3_] is offline

Default Maplin meltdown

On Wed, 28 Feb 2018 14:25:55 +0000 (GMT), "Dave Plowman (News)"
wrote:

In article ,
The Other Mike wrote:
The idea of half of the existing Maplin stores or to put it another way
100 stores across the country being instrumental in increasing the
turnover of any or all of these long established primarily industrial
next day mail order companies and making a profit for both them and the
parent appears a pipe dream.

In the late 90s, Maplin did seem to be going into competition with the
likes of RS, with a much increased range of components and bulk discounts.
I've kept a catalogue from then as it has lots of useful info - not just
sales stuff. In those days RS were even more expensive relatively than
now, and difficult to get an account with for a small business or paying
hobby.

But IIRC, they changed hands (or management) round about then, and also
direction.

Can't recall when as I was working and living overseas lots during the
1990's/early 2000's but I think Maplin actually had an industrial catalogue at
some point, essentially the same as the consumer one but with more price breaks
for quantities and prices excluding VAT.

By the time they realised the potential of the industrial market for more than
just electronics they were crushed by the like of RS & Farnell with their ever
expanding and massive stocklines plus having all the existing customers who had
been using them for decades. Farnell iirc never went beyond two very thick
catalogue volumes, RS iirc ended up with six varying size volumes at one point.

What we don't have in the UK is the likes of McMaster Carr that they have in the
US.

https://www.mcmaster.com

Literally what seemed like hundreds of thousands mechanical product lines, next
day delivery to the mainland US on almost everything from a tiny setscrew to a
large UK flag.

The printed catalogues are (were?) huge, around the size of the CPC catalogues
at 3000 pages or so with a high product density per page. Guaranteed eye strain
and arm strain within a few minutes.