Posted to uk.d-i-y
charles charles is offline

Default Maplin meltdown

In article ,
whisky-dave wrote:
On Wednesday, 28 February 2018 13:41:32 UTC, Tim Watts wrote:
On 28/02/18 13:07, John Rumm wrote:
Much of that describes what it was like walking into the Westcliff
shop in 1980! A few things on display to look at. Loads of built up
synth kits / speakers / amps etc in the window, and a pair of (new
and exciting) Atari 400 / 800 computers surrounded by a swarm of
kids trying to get a look in. The rest of the shop packed with
people waiting to be served in a kind of "open all hours" shop
environment - staff behind the counter going off and collecting the
bits of your order before presenting it all in a taped up plastic
bag at the end.

Hammersmith in the 70s-80s too - I can picture it.

I never went there as I prefered Edgeware road where they was a
Marchells(SP) which had components in multidraw storage units and Henrys
where they had lots of cheap stuff and boards to unsolder, there were
other electronic shops too, and then there was tottenham court road
another fun place in the 70s for such hobbies, which no longer exists
most just download a app top their phone.

and Lisle Street before that

--
from KT24 in Surrey, England