Posted to uk.d-i-y
T i m T i m is offline

Default Maplin meltdown

On Wed, 28 Feb 2018 10:59:05 +0000, John Smith
wrote:

Looks like Maplin's going down - any regrets?

Oh. Erm, yes, sorta ... like when we lost Radio Shack / Tandy as they
were good for the odd thing, especially if you needed it quickly or
needed to check compatibility etc.

I've found it a bit
pricey in recent years

I found it 'ok' (for the convenience of a bricks and mortar store etc)
but you could generally get stuff cheaper online.

but it's good for kids gifts,

Yeah, daughter has built quite a few of the electronic kits they
stock.

cheap batteries,

I don't think I've ever bought batteries from them, only a couple of
rechargeable 'PowerBanks' when on special.

and some bits you need urgently.

Mostly, yes ... or are passing and might want to buy on sight rather
than spec (like cable for a non-standard use).

I've also bought a few things when they were on 'special' as they were
then often a bit cheaper than anywhere else.

https://www.theguardian.com/business...-business-live

And I think we are going to see more and more of this, especially from
any of those who are owned by Europeans or people wanting a foothold
in the EU.

Cheers, T i m