Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Maplin meltdown

On Friday, 2 March 2018 12:21:45 UTC, whisky-dave wrote:
SO very difficult to detect, so you have to rely on what;s sold at
the till point rather than what 'evaporates' yes evapouration was
the term used by M&S when my dad worked for them 20 years ago,
NOTHING got stolen but stock evaporated was the term used.

'shrinkage' is the usual term. Not just theft, but damaged stock disposed of without being recorded as waste, etc.

Owain

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Friday, 2 March 2018 12:36:12 UTC, wrote:
On Friday, 2 March 2018 10:29:02 UTC, John Rumm wrote:
ISTR mine was 7 digits... I was disappointed to find I got allocated a
new longer one when ordering on the web years later.

Newbie :-)

Mine was 100xxx.

Anyone got an earlier one?

Owain

I seem to remmebr the number 11013 from maplin but not sure where or why I remmeber that number.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Friday, 2 March 2018 12:38:28 UTC, wrote:
On Friday, 2 March 2018 12:21:45 UTC, whisky-dave wrote:
SO very difficult to detect, so you have to rely on what;s sold at
the till point rather than what 'evaporates' yes evapouration was
the term used by M&S when my dad worked for them 20 years ago,
NOTHING got stolen but stock evaporated was the term used.

'shrinkage' is the usual term. Not just theft, but damaged stock disposed of without being recorded as waste, etc.

Owain

hey tended to use shinkage as a term for items they believed were taken from the shop floor, evapouration was the term mainly used for items being stolen by staff, or none customers.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
dennis@home wrote:
I bought a box of indigestion tablets the other day. Meant to be 24
tablets - three packs of 8. Cardboard box not sealed. On opening it at
home discovered a pack missing. So presumably stolen out of the packet?
But how come the self service checkout didn't say the weight was wrong? It
seems to do so for everything else...

The machine weighs stuff so you can't put it on without scanning, very
few of them actually check the product weight against what is expected.

That goes against what I'd expect.

--
*Heart attacks... God's revenge for eating his animal friends

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y
NY NY is offline

"Dave Plowman (News)" wrote in message
In article ,
dennis@home wrote:
I bought a box of indigestion tablets the other day. Meant to be 24
tablets - three packs of 8. Cardboard box not sealed. On opening it at
home discovered a pack missing. So presumably stolen out of the packet?
But how come the self service checkout didn't say the weight was wrong?
It
seems to do so for everything else...

The machine weighs stuff so you can't put it on without scanning, very
few of them actually check the product weight against what is expected.

That goes against what I'd expect.

It must check against a database of product weights, rather than just noting
every time the weight increases, otherwise you could scan one item and put
several items on the bagging scale as a single movement.

As a test, I tried just that when the system was first introduced - not to
defraud, but simply to see how it coped. I scanned one can of soup and
placed one can on top of the other and put that 2-can unit on the scale. It
told me "wrong product weight" or "unexpected item in bagging area". It even
warned me when one of the loose apples fell out of the bag and remained on
the scanning area when I put the bag on the scale - so it warns for too
little as well as too much weight.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 02/03/2018 11:24, dennis@home wrote:

The machine weighs stuff so you can't put it on without scanning, very
few of them actually check the product weight against what is expected.

And then are the scales at a B&Q where the self service tills request
you to lift the heaviest object in the store to the scales which are too
small for the object.

It's one area where the organisation has neglected Elfin Safety and a
risk assessment. The self service till areas, including the design of
the scales, do not allow for proper lifting practices by either the
customers or staff.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
wrote:
On Friday, 2 March 2018 12:21:45 UTC, whisky-dave wrote:
SO very difficult to detect, so you have to rely on what;s sold at
the till point rather than what 'evaporates' yes evapouration was
the term used by M&S when my dad worked for them 20 years ago,
NOTHING got stolen but stock evaporated was the term used.

'shrinkage' is the usual term. Not just theft, but damaged stock disposed of without being recorded as waste, etc.

Some years ago, the company I worked for had a social club. And profits
from the bar weren't as high as expected. This was well before so many
paid by credit card, etc.

Against the wishes of some (mainly due to cost) we installed a total stock
control suystem. Where each drink sold was entered individually. Common
these days. Giving a record of what was sold and how much paid.

In a very short time it became clear it was buying a lot more Vodka than
it sold. Roughly a litre a day. Which had been going down one of the
barman's throats...

--
*If I agreed with you, we'd both be wrong.

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y
NY NY is offline

"alan_m" wrote in message
On 02/03/2018 11:24, dennis@home wrote:

The machine weighs stuff so you can't put it on without scanning, very
few of them actually check the product weight against what is expected.

And then are the scales at a B&Q where the self service tills request you
to lift the heaviest object in the store to the scales which are too small
for the object.

It's one area where the organisation has neglected Elfin Safety and a risk
assessment. The self service till areas, including the design of the
scales, do not allow for proper lifting practices by either the customers
or staff.

The scales in B&Q are woefully inadequate because they don't cater for long
narrow objects which will only fit on the scale if you stand them vertically
and then try to let go so the true weight is registered.

In my experience, most supermarket self-checkouts fail because they don't
allow enough space for all your bags of shopping to be on the scale at the
same time - and woe betide you if you remove a full bag to make space for an
empty one that you are about to start filling.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
NY wrote:
In my experience, most supermarket self-checkouts fail because they
don't allow enough space for all your bags of shopping to be on the
scale at the same time - and woe betide you if you remove a full bag to
make space for an empty one that you are about to start filling.

For some reason they seem to be only for those with a small amount of
shopping. At one time my local Sainsbury had a couple of full sized self
checkouts.

--
*I didn't say it was your fault, I said I was blaming you.

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 02/03/2018 12:21, whisky-dave wrote:

SO very difficult to detect, so you have to rely on what;s sold at the till point rather than what 'evaporates'

Can the items NOT going through the till tell the store management the
difference between a lack of sales because the item is unpopular or a
lack of sales because the total evaporation of the stock.

I do wonder if large supermarkets tick off each item as it is delivered.
Orders seem to be delivered on large trolleys of mixed items bound up
with cling film. Theft is just as likely by the box load before it
reaches the stores but if the computer believes that the item has
reached the store then then how is the theft detected if not by an audit
of what is on the shelves.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Friday, 2 March 2018 14:14:35 UTC, alan_m wrote:
On 02/03/2018 12:21, whisky-dave wrote:

SO very difficult to detect, so you have to rely on what;s sold at the till point rather than what 'evaporates'

Can the items NOT going through the till tell the store management the
difference between a lack of sales because the item is unpopular or a
lack of sales because the total evaporation of the stock.

I would assume so with a good system, and someone that knows what they are doing when looking at the results.

I do wonder if large supermarkets tick off each item as it is delivered.

I thought they had those guns now that do that, even our postroom uses such a system.

Orders seem to be delivered on large trolleys of mixed items bound up
with cling film. Theft is just as likely by the box load before it
reaches the stores but if the computer believes that the item has
reached the store then then how is the theft detected if not by an audit
of what is on the shelves.

I don't know but I'm pretty sure they have it sorted.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
Dave Plowman (News) wrote:
In article ,
wrote:
[...]

At the BBC Club bar in TVC, the steward was found to be watering the beer.
It was, ISTR, Red Barrel so the cutomers never noticed.

--
from KT24 in Surrey, England
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 02/03/2018 15:21, whisky-dave wrote:

Can the items NOT going through the till tell the store management the
difference between a lack of sales because the item is unpopular or a
lack of sales because the total evaporation of the stock.

I would assume so with a good system, and someone that knows what they are doing when looking at the results.

I do wonder if large supermarkets tick off each item as it is delivered.

I thought they had those guns now that do that, even our postroom uses such a system.

Saw a TV programme about the supermarkets - one of them has an algorithm
that if no bananas have gone through the till in 15 minutes send message
to shelf stackers to make sure the shelves don't need restocking.

--
Chris B (News)
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Friday, 2 March 2018 16:12:59 UTC, Chris B wrote:
Saw a TV programme about the supermarkets - one of them has an algorithm
that if no bananas have gone through the till in 15 minutes send message
to shelf stackers to make sure the shelves don't need restocking.

Round here if no Buckfast has gone through the till in 15 minutes it sends a message to wake up the store detective.

Owain

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article , The Natural Philosopher
scribeth thus

On 2018-03-01, Ian

wrote:

[24 lines snipped]

Not surprised Maplins are on the rocks. As has been said, town
centre retail
is dead. Battle the car-hating councils obstacle course to get there
in the
first place. Pay more in parking than for next-day delivery. Dodge the
chuggers and beggars to get to the one store you actually need to
visit.
No wonder there's only pound shops, betting shops and takeaways
left, it's
only fit for people with lots of free time and no money.

*applause*

Yup. Take Cambridge as an example. They dont WANT cars anywhere NEAR
the town

Quite right too its a Medieval town centre they should have made a half
decent ring road for the shops, apart for the phone shops, out there
where they are car accessible.

Presumably they think that the pointy headed cyclists will be enoogh
customers to keep the town centre alive. History shows its dying though

I switched to shopping in Bury St Edmunds to avoid the sodding cyclists
in the pedestrian zone in Cambridge.

Newmarket is better

If you don't mind those ever so low bar's if you stop for a bevvy;!...
--
Tony Sayer

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
wrote:
On Friday, 2 March 2018 16:12:59 UTC, Chris B wrote:
Saw a TV programme about the supermarkets - one of them has an
algorithm that if no bananas have gone through the till in 15 minutes
send message to shelf stackers to make sure the shelves don't need
restocking.

Round here if no Buckfast has gone through the till in 15 minutes it
sends a message to wake up the store detective.

;-)

--
*I want it all and I want it delivered

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 02/03/2018 11:37, Andy Burns wrote:
dennis@home wrote:

The machine weighs stuff so you can't put it on without scanning, very
few of them actually check the product weight against what is expected.

IME they all weigh the products and know the expected weight, the
problems come when you add e.g. one bag of quavers after a 4x2litre pack
of bottled water ...

They certainly do not know the weights.
They can't know the weights of prepacked fresh stuff for a start.
They also don't check the weights of stuff they might be able too in any
of the supermarkets I use.
Next time you are in try putting a box of stuff on at the same time as
putting say the free magazine on the scales.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 02/03/2018 11:44, Huge wrote:
dennis@home wrote:

The machine weighs stuff so you can't put it on without scanning, very
few of them actually check the product weight against what is expected.

dennis, spouting ******** since, well, forever really.

I see huge dick is still posting ********.
One day huge dick may actually contribute something but I won't hold my
breath waiting.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

dennis@home wrote:

They can't know the weights of prepacked fresh stuff for a start.

But they can know which items they do know the weight of, and they could
know a sensible weight range for pre-packed veg, I don't use them so
much for that.

Next time you are in try putting a box of stuff on at the same time as
putting say the free magazine on the scales.

Adding or removing an empty carrier bag is often sufficient weight
difference to trigger them.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

dennis@home wrote:

The machine weighs stuff so you can't put it on without scanning, very
few of them actually check the product weight against what is expected.

IME they all weigh the products and know the expected weight, the
problems come when you add e.g. one bag of quavers after a 4x2litre
pack of bottled water ...

They certainly do not know the weights.
They can't know the weights of prepacked fresh stuff for a start.

No, but there will be an acceptable range.

They will also know the overall weight before the next item is added, so
even light items can be assessed.

Posted to uk.d-i-y
NY NY is offline

dennis@home wrote:

The machine weighs stuff so you can't put it on without scanning, very
few of them actually check the product weight against what is expected.

IME they all weigh the products and know the expected weight, the
problems come when you add e.g. one bag of quavers after a 4x2litre pack
of bottled water ...

They certainly do not know the weights.
They can't know the weights of prepacked fresh stuff for a start.
They also don't check the weights of stuff they might be able too in any
of the supermarkets I use.
Next time you are in try putting a box of stuff on at the same time as
putting say the free magazine on the scales.

So are you saying that the scales only look for an increase in weight (and
don't care about the size of the increase) to denote that an item (not
necessarily the one whose bar code has just been scanned) has been placed in
the bag?

I shall have to test that theory when I'm next shopping by scanning one item
and putting a different item on the bagging scale. I think you are wrong but
I'm happy to be corrected. As regards prepacked fresh items, I presumed that
the bar code of every item was different to encode not just the item's ID
but also its weight.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 02/03/2018 11:24, dennis@home wrote:

The machine weighs stuff so you can't put it on without scanning, very
few of them actually check the product weight against what is expected.

On the rare occasions when I use one I scan the first item, put it in my
bag, then put that in the bagging area. It seems to be happy then.

But I avoid them; I feel that using the serviced tills is a way of
keeping low skilled people in gainful employment.

Andy
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 02/03/2018 21:00, Vir Campestris wrote:
On 02/03/2018 11:24, dennis@home wrote:

The machine weighs stuff so you can't put it on without scanning, very
few of them actually check the product weight against what is expected.

On the rare occasions when I use one I scan the first item, put it in my
bag, then put that in the bagging area. It seems to be happy then.

But I avoid them; I feel that using the serviced tills is a way of
keeping low skilled people in gainful employment.

But if you use the self-service tills the unskilled staff can chat
amongst themselves.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 02/03/2018 20:26, Andy Burns wrote:
dennis@home wrote:

They can't know the weights of prepacked fresh stuff for a start.

But they can know which items they do know the weight of, and they could
know a sensible weight range for pre-packed veg, I don't use them so
much for that.

Next time you are in try putting a box of stuff on at the same time as
putting say the free magazine on the scales.

Adding or removing an empty carrier bag is often sufficient weight
difference to trigger them.

yes but that is because it notices the change not because it has weighed
a product and decided it is the wrong weight.

Does it say its too heavy if you put it in a carrier and then put on the
scales? No it doesn't.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 02/03/2018 20:56, NY wrote:

So are you saying that the scales only look for an increase in weight
(and don't care about the size of the increase) to denote that an item
(not necessarily the one whose bar code has just been scanned) has been
placed in the bag?

yes.
Can you imagine the error rate of thousands of products and just how
difficult it would be. Even the humidity in the shop would affect the
weight of the boxes.
How about the tub of ice cream I bought yesterday that had half an inch
of frost on it that would weight tens of grams more than it should.

I shall have to test that theory when I'm next shopping by scanning one
item and putting a different item on the bagging scale. I think you are
wrong but I'm happy to be corrected. As regards prepacked fresh items, I
presumed that the bar code of every item was different to encode not
just the item's ID but also its weight.

Most of them are preprinted and are the same. The reduced bar codes are
unique so they know the price and item in some supermarkets. As are the
deli items.

Some supermarkets have turned the checkout scale off altogether as it
was annoying the customers a lot.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

dennis@home wrote:

The machine weighs stuff so you can't put it on without scanning, very
few of them actually check the product weight against what is expected.

IME they all weigh the products and know the expected weight, the
problems come when you add e.g. one bag of quavers after a 4x2litre
pack of bottled water ...

They certainly do not know the weights.
They can't know the weights of prepacked fresh stuff for a start.

The checkout has these things called "scales", Den, you may have heard
of them.

Don't be an idiot, you don't put prepacked stuff on the scales you just
scan the bar code and put them on the checkout scale.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

dennis@home wrote:

The machine weighs stuff so you can't put it on without scanning,
very
few of them actually check the product weight against what is
expected.

IME they all weigh the products and know the expected weight, the
problems come when you add e.g. one bag of quavers after a 4x2litre
pack of bottled water ...

They certainly do not know the weights.
They can't know the weights of prepacked fresh stuff for a start.

The checkout has these things called "scales", Den, you may have heard
of them.

Don't be an idiot, you don't put prepacked stuff on the scales you
just scan the bar code and put them on the checkout scale.

Those will be all the same weight.

Do you ever shop?
Try Sainsburys baking spuds they are never the same weight.
Or a cabbage or a cauliflower.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

whisky-dave wrote:

I've always assumed that they used what the sell at the till points as that goes direct to the ordering sections, there's little need to count stolen stuff as that is a relatively small amount.

Didn't one of the regular contributors here have a need for
significant quantities of a particular drill bit (or similar) and
kept buying whatever he could when he was in B&Q.

After a few weeks the display was groaning under a pile of stock,
all sizes having been replenished to meet what the computer
calculated to be the new demand level.

Chris
--
Chris J Dixon Nottingham UK

Plant amazing Acers.
Posted to uk.d-i-y
NY NY is offline

On 02/03/2018 20:56, NY wrote:

So are you saying that the scales only look for an increase in weight
(and don't care about the size of the increase) to denote that an item
(not necessarily the one whose bar code has just been scanned) has been
placed in the bag?

yes.
Can you imagine the error rate of thousands of products and just how
difficult it would be. Even the humidity in the shop would affect the
weight of the boxes.
How about the tub of ice cream I bought yesterday that had half an inch of
frost on it that would weight tens of grams more than it should.

Well I've learned something. Ever since the system was introduced, I've
thought that the system knew the weight of every item and checked that the
scales increased by that weight after it had been scanned and was placed in
the bagging area. I'm sure I'm not along in thinking that. I'd not realised
that it was less complicated than that and only looked for *any* increase,
not necessarily of the expected size.

As a matter of interest, do you know this for a fact (eg, having worked on
the development of the system) or are you presuming it from logic (which I
have to say I agree with, now you mention it)?

The biggest problem with the self-scan checkouts is those damn scales. They
expect you to put all your bags on the scale at the outset and to place
things once and forever in a given bag. I find I move things around as I
realise that I'm about to put fresh meat in with cooked meat (a no-no,
according to SWMBO, *even if it's pre-packed and sealed*), or about to put
something heavy on top of something squashable like bread. The system
doesn't like you to temporarily reduce the weight, as you move a completed
bag from one side of the scales to the other, or to move an item between
bags. And I tend to want to scan several small objects at the same time and
then move them all, as a single "item" into a bag - you can't do that,
because the systems expects you scan scan one items, bag it, scan the next,
bag it - in strict order.

Some have better logic than others for items that need approval (eg
alcohol). Some flash the "help needed" light but allow you to carry on
scanning and bagging, whereas others stop dead in their tracks and won't
allow you to do any more until the assistant has verified that this
fifty-odd-year-old man really *is* over 18. Morrisons' logic with this is
good, but one of the other supermarkets' tills (I forget which) are really
fussy. At Morrisons I tend to scan the alcohol as the very first thing so as
to allow as much time as possible for the assistant to arrive before the
drop-dead time of not being able to pay until the assistant has verified.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

dennis@home wrote:

The machine weighs stuff so you can't put it on without
scanning, very few of them actually check the product weight
against what
is expected.

IME they all weigh the products and know the expected weight, the
problems come when you add e.g. one bag of quavers after a
4x2litre pack of bottled water ...

They certainly do not know the weights.
They can't know the weights of prepacked fresh stuff for a start.

The checkout has these things called "scales", Den, you may have heard
of them.

Don't be an idiot, you don't put prepacked stuff on the scales you
just scan the bar code and put them on the checkout scale.

Those will be all the same weight.

Do you ever shop?

No I have a propeller on my head to provide all the energy I need.

Try Sainsburys baking spuds they are never the same weight.

Either it's packaged and has a bar code, which I imagine for stuff
where the weight may vary tells the machine to be lenient about the
expected weight, or:

Or a cabbage or a cauliflower

where you tell the machine what it is and it weighs it for you (since
even giant brains like yours haven't figured out how to get a cabbage
to grow a bar-code).

Well that's proof that you don't shop as its wrong on both counts.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 02/03/2018 20:56, NY wrote:

[...]

Just experience from using them.
At one time there was the intention of the system knowing the weight of
everything but I know of no supermarket that has done so.
Just imagine having to weigh and lable every item with variable weight
like fruit and veg and remember it can change weight depending on the
weather. Then there is frozen stuff that can be covered in frost or not.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
dennis@home wrote:
Those will be all the same weight.

Do you ever shop?
Try Sainsburys baking spuds they are never the same weight.
Or a cabbage or a cauliflower.

The bar code could either contain the exact weight or tell the system it
will be within certain limits.

I get the impression you've not used a self service checkout.

Try Tesco - their latest software is giving (even more) problem with the
weight of things after scanning.

With the old you had to place your own bag on the scales then press done.
The new tries to get round that. Gawd knows why.

--
*Why can't women put on mascara with their mouth closed?

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Just coming back on topic, most posters have bemoaned the fact that Maplins was not what it used to be and generally dear. However, with the number of replies to the topic are we secretly sad to see it go?

Richard
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Fri, 2 Mar 2018 10:14:30 +0000, John Rumm
wrote:

Sendz by the sounds of it...

I recall a mate going in there for a NICAM decoder chip. He asks for it
at the counter, and the chap behind has a rummage through some boxes of
assorted complete PCBs, locates and de-solders said chip before handing
it to him! ;-)

Just wonder if that's the same place that had full page adverts on the back
cover or near the back of Television magazine

If so they might be the ones that used to sell brand new tv circuit boards for
about a fiver. It was at one point by far the cheapest way to buy the Mullard
SAA5050 character generator chip used in the BBC Micro.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 03/03/2018 11:41, Tricky Dicky wrote:

Just coming back on topic, most posters have bemoaned the fact that Maplins was not what it used to be and generally dear. However, with the number of replies to the topic are we secretly sad to see it go?

Should I buy one of these in case I need it in futu
https://www.maplin.co.uk/p/c-battery...r-4-pack-l64aq
(I haven't seen one elsewhere; I don't even know what it would be called.)

Where else can I make a "distress purchase" for a single pot or
capacitor &c.?

Where else can I buy cable by the metre?

Where else can I buy LED strips in 10cm increments?

--
Max Demian

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Saturday, 3 March 2018 11:58:42 UTC, Max Demian wrote:
Where else can I buy cable by the metre?

TLC for some types.

Owain

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Saturday, 3 March 2018 11:41:24 UTC, Tricky Dicky wrote:
Just coming back on topic, most posters have bemoaned the fact that
Maplins was not what it used to be and generally dear. However, with
the number of replies to the topic are we secretly sad to see it go?

Of course we are.

Along with district nurses with starched caps driving Morris Minors, telegram boys on bicycles, AA men who saluted, sweet shops where you could buy 4 different items for a tuppny, proper bogs that flush when you pull a chain and have a roller towel on the back of the door.

I wonder when Beamish will get its first reproduction Maplin :-)

Owain

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
dennis@home wrote:
Those will be all the same weight.

Do you ever shop?
Try Sainsburys baking spuds they are never the same weight.
Or a cabbage or a cauliflower.

The bar code could either contain the exact weight or tell the system it
will be within certain limits.

Yes you could do that but most stuff is in preprinted bags and has the
same barcode.

I get the impression you've not used a self service checkout.

I use them most of the time, none of what I use check the items weight.
Most of the items have significantly variable weights.
The prepacked fruit and veg can vary by 50+%.

Try Tesco - their latest software is giving (even more) problem with the
weight of things after scanning.

I was in there last week but I self scan so there is no need to use the
checkouts.

With the old you had to place your own bag on the scales then press done.
The new tries to get round that. Gawd knows why.

Maybe you have a different experience because they don't trust the
customers much where you are and do try and check every item?
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
dennis@home wrote:
Yes you could do that but most stuff is in preprinted bags and has the
same barcode.

Thanks for confirming you don't use (modern) self checkouts. The one I use
tells you what you have just scanned.

--
*It doesn't take a genius to spot a goat in a flock of sheep *