Posted to uk.d-i-y
GB GB is offline

Default Maplin meltdown

In article 2018022810590560844-nospam@nospamcom,
John Smith wrote:
Looks like Maplin's going down - any regrets? I've found it a bit
pricey in recent years but it's good for kids gifts, cheap batteries,
and some bits you need urgently.

That was to me the problem. For components at one time the shops did tend
to stock at least most of them. And would post you them for free (fast) if
they didn't have them in stock. I didn't mind a trip to the shop as always
interesting things to look at - and always ended up buying things I didn't
go for as well.

But when they seemed to give up on components they also lost my trade for
other toys, etc.

The crocodile clip on my car battery charger went ping into some dark
corner of the garage or other. After much searching, I gave up and
bought another one online. Delivered for £2. It's a crocodile clip with
a spade connector, so pretty unusual. Even had Maplin stocked such a
thing, they'd need to charge a tenner for it, I guess.