Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default [OT] Replaceable chinaware?

I'm in the market for a new set of china plates etc.

However, what happens is one of many parts will get broken or at least
chipped badly in just a few years.

Does anyone sell long life designs - nothing fancy, plain is good
(thinking hotels and restaurants must demand sets that they can get new
parts for?)

It's either that or buy a backup set and keep that in the loft!
Posted to uk.d-i-y
djc djc is offline

On 03/01/18 21:53, Tim Watts wrote:
I'm in the market for a new set of china plates etc.

However, what happens is one of many parts will get broken or at least
chipped badly in just a few years.

Does anyone sell long life designs - nothing fancy, plain is good
(thinking hotels and restaurants must demand sets that they can get new
parts for?)

Try a catering range from Nisbets

https://www.nisbets.co.uk/tableware-...ockery/_/a33-2

They have a shop in Shaftesbury Avenue, or the mail order service is good.

It's either that or buy a backup set and keep that in the loft!

--
djc

(–€Ì¿Ä¹Ì¯–€Ì¿ Ì¿)
No low-hanging fruit, just a lot of small berries up a tall tree.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
Tim Watts wrote:
I'm in the market for a new set of china plates etc.

However, what happens is one of many parts will get broken or at least
chipped badly in just a few years.

Does anyone sell long life designs - nothing fancy, plain is good
(thinking hotels and restaurants must demand sets that they can get new
parts for?)

It's either that or buy a backup set and keep that in the loft!

whatever you buy, it will be discontinued ahortly afterwards.*

However if its a popular style, you might find sellers on ebay to keep you
stocked up. I inherited my parents china, bought new in 1958, and have
added to it, to keep the numbers up, over the years.

* example: we bought some new cutlery in John Lewis, some 2 years later we
decided that we needed new tea spoons, No longer stocked - indeed the
young man assured me, on seeing one I took in, they'd never stocked it.
Luckily I found a internet stockist.

--
from KT24 in Surrey, England
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Wednesday, 3 January 2018 21:53:40 UTC, Tim Watts wrote:
I'm in the market for a new set of china plates etc.

However, what happens is one of many parts will get broken or at least
chipped badly in just a few years.

Does anyone sell long life designs - nothing fancy, plain is good
(thinking hotels and restaurants must demand sets that they can get new
parts for?)

It's either that or buy a backup set and keep that in the loft!

You've had the main suggestions. There is one more. There are some designs that are produced very similarly by different makers, and you can use one set to top up another without anyone noticing. If anything it enhances the set when the pieces are mostly the same but the smaller details vary.

NT
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Tim Watts wrote

I'm in the market for a new set of china plates etc.

However, what happens is one of many parts will get broken or at least
chipped badly in just a few years.

Does anyone sell long life designs

The Correlle stuff lasts a long time and doesnt chip.

Doest survive a drop onto quarry tiles or
concrete, shatters into a million pieces.

- nothing fancy, plain is good (thinking hotels and restaurants must
demand sets that they can get new parts for?)

Ours keep stocking it so easy to replace what gets dropped.

It's either that or buy a backup set and keep that in the loft!

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Tim Watts wrote:
I'm in the market for a new set of china plates etc.

However, what happens is one of many parts will get broken or at least
chipped badly in just a few years.

Does anyone sell long life designs - nothing fancy, plain is good
(thinking hotels and restaurants must demand sets that they can get new
parts for?)

It's either that or buy a backup set and keep that in the loft!

Do what I do, get all white
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"charles" wrote in message
In article ,
Tim Watts wrote:
I'm in the market for a new set of china plates etc.

However, what happens is one of many parts will get broken or at least
chipped badly in just a few years.

Does anyone sell long life designs - nothing fancy, plain is good
(thinking hotels and restaurants must demand sets that they can get new
parts for?)

It's either that or buy a backup set and keep that in the loft!

whatever you buy, it will be discontinued ahortly afterwards.*

Corelle hasn’t been. Been around for decades now.

However if its a popular style, you might find sellers on ebay to keep
you stocked up. I inherited my parents china, bought new in 1958,
and have added to it, to keep the numbers up, over the years.

* example: we bought some new cutlery in John Lewis, some 2 years
later we decided that we needed new tea spoons, No longer stocked
- indeed the young man assured me, on seeing one I took in, they'd
never stocked it. Luckily I found a internet stockist.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Wed, 3 Jan 2018 21:53:33 +0000, Tim Watts
wrote:

I'm in the market for a new set of china plates etc.

However, what happens is one of many parts will get broken or at least
chipped badly in just a few years.

Does anyone sell long life designs - nothing fancy, plain is good
(thinking hotels and restaurants must demand sets that they can get new
parts for?)

We are using most of the long gone MIL's set of Indian Tree design,

It seems to have been around for decades and is still available .
May be too tea shop for many but a perusal of some catalogues and
seeing how long a design has been around could be an indication if it
will last, some may change a bit though . I think Port Merion has had
some subtle changes to its ranges over the years.
OTOT hand how common are your breakages going to be and how old are
you, buy enough spares to cover the gap to where you no longer care.
Also given that most people now use a dishwasher expecting a set to
remain as it was when new for a years without some fading may be a
hope too far.
Visiting friends for meals it is obvious some use the same plates
daily and only bring out others as required rather than rotate them by
some being less bright than others.

G.Harman
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Wednesday, 3 January 2018 23:02:48 UTC, FMurtz wrote:
Do what I do, get all white

Different whites don't always match.

However if you stick to all solid colours you can mix things around so one person has a blue plate and brown bowl and someone else has a brown plate and green bowl.

Melamine ware is quite long lasting.

Owain

Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

Does anyone sell long life designs - nothing fancy, plain is good
(thinking hotels and restaurants must demand sets that they can get new
parts for?)

Many have bespoke designs that are batch made to order.
There is a warehouse in Southampton that has stacks of designs for
P @ O and Cunard cruise ships. They get sent from there regulary to
Ports all over the world if the vessel isn't due back for a while such
as on a World cruise.

G.Harman

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 03/01/2018 21:53, Tim Watts wrote:
I'm in the market for a new set of china plates etc.

However, what happens is one of many parts will get broken or at least
chipped badly in just a few years.

Does anyone sell long life designs - nothing fancy, plain is good
(thinking hotels and restaurants must demand sets that they can get new
parts for?)

It's either that or buy a backup set and keep that in the loft!

Why bother with replacements - are you going to have formal banquets on
a regular basis? Its rather like having a best set of cutlery that sees
the light day once in a decade or more and is a complete waste of money!
When you die your relatives will only regard these prized possessions as
house clearance fodder.

I purchased a whole lot of French "china" from The Range shop at the
same price as crap English and China stoneware type plates/bowls. It's
thin and a least a third of the weight of the equivalent cheap offerings
(less than £1 per dinner plate). After a year only one plate has chipped
due to being dropped into the sink for washing.

IMO, again price doesn't equate to quality and something relatively
cheap without a recognised brand name in the UK isn't necessarily rubbish.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 04/01/2018 00:21, alan_m wrote:
On 03/01/2018 21:53, Tim Watts wrote:
I'm in the market for a new set of china plates etc.

However, what happens is one of many parts will get broken or at least
chipped badly in just a few years.

Does anyone sell long life designs - nothing fancy, plain is good
(thinking hotels and restaurants must demand sets that they can get
new parts for?)

It's either that or buy a backup set and keep that in the loft!

It's a different world this is. Are you in the south? Our pots are
more-or-less all different. I don't think we've ever bought any plates
or owt. They're just ones we've got when old rellies have cocked their
clogs. Also I found some nice mugs last year amongst a load of
flytipping I was sifting for clues as to who'd dumped it all.
It's the same with cutlery. We have items stamped WRCC (that means they
were pinched from school), some really weird ones with pictures of long
dead monarchs (God knows where we got them), and some stamped WD with a
broad arrow.
I have three carving-type knives. One was a Christmas present years ago
and it's a good knife; takes an edge easily. One used to be my mam's.
One was my dad's, it was a dagger really; he said it was for filleting
fish but actually he always had it down the side of his car seat in case
he was attacked. I sharpen my knives on the oilstone from my dad's
workshop.
I have a chopping board that my dad made for my mam as a baking board
when they set up house in 1947. Like everything Dad made it's grossly
over-engineered.

Bill
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 03/01/18 21:53, Tim Watts wrote:
I'm in the market for a new set of china plates etc.

However, what happens is one of many parts will get broken or at least
chipped badly in just a few years.

Does anyone sell long life designs - nothing fancy, plain is good
(thinking hotels and restaurants must demand sets that they can get new
parts for?)

It's either that or buy a backup set and keep that in the loft!

you can get replacment stuff on ebay and some replacement sites.

I'm still running on most of a denby marrakesh set I bought 20 years ago

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Wednesday, 3 January 2018 21:53:40 UTC, Tim Watts wrote:
I'm in the market for a new set of china plates etc.

However, what happens is one of many parts will get broken or at least
chipped badly in just a few years.

Does anyone sell long life designs - nothing fancy, plain is good
(thinking hotels and restaurants must demand sets that they can get new
parts for?)

It's either that or buy a backup set and keep that in the loft!

Buy a few extra pieces.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Thu, 4 Jan 2018 02:07:59 +0000, Bill Wright
wrote:

On 04/01/2018 00:21, alan_m wrote:
On 03/01/2018 21:53, Tim Watts wrote:
I'm in the market for a new set of china plates etc.

It's a different world this is. Are you in the south? Our pots are
more-or-less all different. I don't think we've ever bought any plates
or owt.

At least one petrol chain was giving away plates* in the 70's after a
purchase of an amount fuel . Can't remember it was before or after
they decided that everyone needed a glass, probably because we all
needed to take a stiff drink at the sharp price increases.

I'm surprised as a thrifty Yorkshireman running a van you didn't
accumulate enough crockery for the whole family, or did you opt for
the treble Green Shield stamps option and give them and the books to
the Kids at Christmas and tell them that sticking the stamps in was a
type of game.

* They weren't china but mainly white coloured glass/pyrex with a
pattern. Were not actually too bad, i think we still have one in the
cupboard somewhere.

G.Harman
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 03/01/18 22:21, DJC wrote:
On 03/01/18 21:53, Tim Watts wrote:
I'm in the market for a new set of china plates etc.

However, what happens is one of many parts will get broken or at least
chipped badly in just a few years.

Does anyone sell long life designs - nothing fancy, plain is good
(thinking hotels and restaurants must demand sets that they can get
new parts for?)

Try a catering range from Nisbets

https://www.nisbets.co.uk/tableware-...ockery/_/a33-2

They have a shop in Shaftesbury Avenue, or the mail order service is good.

Thank you

I've also found Wedgewood mentioned elsewhere as being able to get
spares for at least some of their ranges long after. Some ranges have
eye watering prices, but some less so. We're simple folk - we don't need
a soup bowl, pasta bowl and cereal bowl - one type does us just fine. 2
plates, one small for cakes and toast, one full sized for dinner. Cups
and mugs and job done... That's the problem with the random hotchpotch
of crap we have now - it's stuff from several different sets, nothing
matches, nothing stacks well due to varying sizes and types, takes up a
huge amount of space as a result.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 03/01/18 23:02, FMurtz wrote:
Tim Watts wrote:
I'm in the market for a new set of china plates etc.

However, what happens is one of many parts will get broken or at least
chipped badly in just a few years.

Does anyone sell long life designs - nothing fancy, plain is good
(thinking hotels and restaurants must demand sets that they can get
new parts for?)

It's either that or buy a backup set and keep that in the loft!

Do what I do, get all white

That has merit (dishwasher can't bugger up the pattern for one!), but I
couldn't quite sell it to SWMBO :-|

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 04/01/18 00:21, alan_m wrote:
On 03/01/2018 21:53, Tim Watts wrote:
I'm in the market for a new set of china plates etc.

However, what happens is one of many parts will get broken or at least
chipped badly in just a few years.

Does anyone sell long life designs - nothing fancy, plain is good
(thinking hotels and restaurants must demand sets that they can get
new parts for?)

It's either that or buy a backup set and keep that in the loft!

Why bother with replacements - are you going to have formal banquets on
a regular basis? Its rather like having a best set of cutlery that sees
the light day once in a decade or more and is a complete waste of money!
When you die your relatives will only regard these prized possessions as
house clearance fodder.

Not really - this is every day use - and thus will get knocked about. So
rather than binning a whole set because I'm down to 3 plates, I'd rather
maintain a decent set for a long time.

Nothing worse than mismatching china...

Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

I'm in the market for a new set of china plates etc.

However, what happens is one of many parts will get broken or at least
chipped badly in just a few years.

Does anyone sell long life designs - nothing fancy, plain is good
(thinking hotels and restaurants must demand sets that they can get new
parts for?)

It's either that or buy a backup set and keep that in the loft!

Two principal factors affect the durability of tableware. The basic
strength of the stuff (as measured in fundamental units, kgf/cm² or
whatever), and the design (thin, thick, rolled edge etc). Basic
strength is controlled by composition and by porosity, which in turn
is usually related to firing temperature.

The strongest is bone china, often simply called porcelain in this
country by the retail trade (but true porcelain is something else).
Because it is strong, it can be made thin, so is light in weight,
translucent and elegant, if that's your thing. But the raw materials
are expensive, especially as it contains half it's weight of cattle
bone, hence the name (and no, you can't get BSE from it, as was once
asked!). There is a classic Wedgwood publicity photograph of a
double-decker bus supported by six bone china teacups!
http://bit.ly/2lSeqUI

Next strongest is what I call true porcelain, mostly made on the
Continent, especially Germany. Both bone china and porcelain are
non-porous because of their compositions and high firing temperatures,
a fact that contributes greatly to their strength and chip-resistance
(German porcelain is fired at typically 1400°C, bone china and other
types of 'soft' porcelain at about 1280°C). Bone china is whiter than
German porcelain, which tends to have a very slight grey tinge, almost
imperceptible except when they're compared side-by-side, due to their
respective compositions.

Then you have the huge range of earthenware tableware, known as
pottery by the retail trade. Probably the most common and the
cheapest, as it uses cheaper raw materials than the previous two, and
is fired to a lower temperature, usually no more than 1100°C, and is
porous and less strong as a result. But so-called 'stoneware' is a
variety of pottery fired to a higher temperature, and is less porous
and stronger as a consequence.

Design also plays a part. What is known as hotelware is generally
thicker, heavier and stronger than domestic ware, because it gets
rather rougher treatment in use. One of the commonest modes of failure
is rim chipping, where the edges come into contact with other things,
are subject to very high impact stresses, and chip or break. This is
combatted by making the rims a bit thicker than the rest of the piece,
known as a 'rolled edge'. I can't believe that much earthenware is
made without rolled edges these days.

We have used Denby tableware for many years, and bone china for posh
occasions (increasingly rarely these days!), but I do recommend Denby
(I have no connection; I've not even visited the factory, and AFAIK
they don't use any materials from my former employer! They have their
own unique deposit of clay close to the factory, I believe). It's a
bit heavier than ordinary earthenware and is properly described as
stoneware. It's remarkably tough and chip-resistant (although like
most tableware, it will break if you drop it; DAMHIKT!) and comes in a
range of designs. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Denby_Pottery_Company
and https://www.denbypottery.com/tableware

Wow...
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Tim Watts wrote:
On 03/01/18 23:02, FMurtz wrote:
Tim Watts wrote:
I'm in the market for a new set of china plates etc.

However, what happens is one of many parts will get broken or at
least chipped badly in just a few years.

Does anyone sell long life designs - nothing fancy, plain is good
(thinking hotels and restaurants must demand sets that they can get
new parts for?)

It's either that or buy a backup set and keep that in the loft!

Do what I do, get all white

That has merit (dishwasher can't bugger up the pattern for one!), but I
couldn't quite sell it to SWMBO :-|

Try this experiment, if you work in an office or workshop environment,
You will find most places have all manners of colours,put a clean white
cup or mug in with the rest, it will be the one most taken and used by
others.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Tim Watts wrote:
On 04/01/18 00:21, alan_m wrote:
[...]

We use our Royal Doulton bone china as 'everyday' china. We have done
since around 1980, it has travelled to Oman and back in that period.

We do break the occasional thing but find it's generally much tougher
than earthenware/stoneware and, in particular, is very resistant to
chips which is often why other china gets 'old'. In general it either
survives being dropped or disintegrates.

We have a *lot* of it because for a while we ran two households so
have some spares still. It is beginning to look a bit worn after
almost 40 years of use but rotating it occasionally means it does all
look pretty much the same still.

As an aside the current fashion for stone/granite worktops is one
reason for more chipped and broken china IMHO.

--
Chris Green
·
Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

I'm in the market for a new set of china plates etc.

However, what happens is one of many parts will get broken or at least
chipped badly in just a few years.

Does anyone sell long life designs - nothing fancy, plain is good
(thinking hotels and restaurants must demand sets that they can get new
parts for?)

We are using most of the long gone MIL's set of Indian Tree design,

That's the one we have - belonged to my parents.

--
from KT24 in Surrey, England
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 04/01/2018 10:55, Tim Watts wrote:

Not really - this is every day use - and thus will get knocked about. So
rather than binning a whole set because I'm down to 3 plates, I'd rather
maintain a decent set for a long time.

Nothing worse than mismatching china...

But what do you call a set? Six of everything pre-packed in a box?
Shop where you can can buy as many/few pieces as you require.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Thursday, 4 January 2018 10:20:01 UTC, wrote:
At least one petrol chain was giving away plates* in the 70's after a
purchase of an amount fuel .

Granny's "best" china was free with Daz washing powder!

Owain

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 04/01/2018 10:52, Tim Watts wrote:
On 03/01/18 22:21, DJC wrote:
On 03/01/18 21:53, Tim Watts wrote:
I'm in the market for a new set of china plates etc.

However, what happens is one of many parts will get broken or at
least chipped badly in just a few years.

Does anyone sell long life designs - nothing fancy, plain is good
(thinking hotels and restaurants must demand sets that they can get
new parts for?)

Try a catering range from Nisbets

https://www.nisbets.co.uk/tableware-...ockery/_/a33-2

They have a shop in Shaftesbury Avenue, or the mail order service is
good.

Thank you

I've also found Wedgewood mentioned elsewhere as being able to get
spares for at least some of their ranges long after. Some ranges have
eye watering prices, but some less so.

That's probably true for most of the "higher end" makers. Denby for
example will often keep a range going for decades. Quality stuff, but
you pay for it. Also not much help if you buy a range that has been out
for decades and then gets discontinued.

--
Cheers,

John.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

damduck-egg wrote:

At least one petrol chain was giving away plates* in the 70's after a
purchase of an amount fuel

When KeyMarket opened the first out-of-town supermarket in my home town
sometime in the 70's, they gave away plates for a certain amount of
shopping, I think my parents and an uncle still have cupboards full of
them ...

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Thu, 04 Jan 2018 09:50:26 +0000, Chris Hogg wrote:

We have used Denby tableware for many years, and bone china for posh
occasions (increasingly rarely these days!), but I do recommend Denby
(I have no connection; I've not even visited the factory, and AFAIK
they don't use any materials from my former employer! They have their
own unique deposit of clay close to the factory, I believe).

JOOI does much China Clay from Cornwall actually end up in China
tableware, I grew up within a mile or two of Watts Blake and Bearne
operations in North Devon which mined and later quarried ball clay.
I always understood this was a higher grade mineral and actually was
used in high end pottery though until the brick works burnt down in
the 1930's bricks were also made from it. Their distinctive creamy
white colour is a feature of many buildings in the area.
https://www.flickr.com/photos/nicholassmale/6352865945
Similar deposits are I believe also found near Bovey Tracey and on the
Purbeck Peninsula in Dorset.

G.Harman
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Thu, 4 Jan 2018 10:55:49 +0000, Tim Watts wrote:

On 04/01/18 00:21, alan_m wrote:
[...]

I don't know about replacements - you'd need to ask - but Procook isn't too
expensive:
https://www.procook.co.uk/

I've some items bookmarked and there's a shop near Oxford, when I get the
tuits...
--
Peter.
The gods will stay away

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Tim Watts" wrote in message
On 03/01/18 22:21, DJC wrote:
[...]

I hardly ever use any bowl at all now.

2 plates, one small for cakes and toast, one full sized for dinner.

I prefer 3, tho the middle sized ones dont get used as much as the others.

I prefer Corelle, doesnt chip and easy to replace. I get white.

Cups and mugs and job done...

Dont bother with either, only drink water and beer and spirits now.

That's the problem with the random hotchpotch of crap we have now - it's
stuff from several different sets, nothing matches, nothing stacks well
due to varying sizes and types, takes up a huge amount of space as a
result.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 04/01/18 11:25, Chris Green wrote:

We use our Royal Doulton bone china as 'everyday' china. We have done
since around 1980, it has travelled to Oman and back in that period.

Ah - thanks. Another great name - I'd forgotten about them...

We do break the occasional thing but find it's generally much tougher
than earthenware/stoneware and, in particular, is very resistant to
chips which is often why other china gets 'old'. In general it either
survives being dropped or disintegrates.

We have a *lot* of it because for a while we ran two households so
have some spares still. It is beginning to look a bit worn after
almost 40 years of use but rotating it occasionally means it does all
look pretty much the same still.

Cool - I will investigate them.

As an aside the current fashion for stone/granite worktops is one
reason for more chipped and broken china IMHO.

Yes - that's why I have wood Pitch pine to be exact, which avoids a
lot of the problems of wooden tops near sinks.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 04/01/18 11:53, alan_m wrote:
On 04/01/2018 10:55, Tim Watts wrote:

Not really - this is every day use - and thus will get knocked about.
So rather than binning a whole set because I'm down to 3 plates, I'd
rather maintain a decent set for a long time.

Nothing worse than mismatching china...

But what do you call a set?Â* Six of everything pre-packed in a box?
Shop where you can can buy as many/few pieces as you require.

We've decided "8" is a good number for us. And yes, what you say is one
criteria I'm after (because you can at least buy a spare "now") - the
other criteria is being able to buy a spare some years hence
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 04/01/18 12:19, John Rumm wrote:

I've also found Wedgewood mentioned elsewhere as being able to get
spares for at least some of their ranges long after. Some ranges have
eye watering prices, but some less so.

That's probably true for most of the "higher end" makers. Denby for
example will often keep a range going for decades. Quality stuff, but
you pay for it. Also not much help if you buy a range that has been out
for decades and then gets discontinued.

And Denby - thanks for that. Got 3 main manufacturers now...
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 04/01/2018 19:14, Rod Speed wrote:

"Tim Watts" wrote in message
On 03/01/18 22:21, DJC wrote:
[...]

Corelle is excellent, we bought a set some years back to use in our
motorhome- it is much lighter than normal china and tougher.

However, since buying it, we discovered other, similar products which
are, essentially the same. The Range do one as does IKEA. Both are
cheaper than Corelle, seem to be of similar quality and are available in
a wide range of items.

Like Rod, we opted for white. After 6 years use in a motorhome, none
have chipped, broken, etc.