Mike Halmarack

Default Roller doors with replaceable slats?

I'm replacing my beloved up-and-over plastic garage door because
someone backed into it. I'm considering a roller door this time but
just in case the next one suffers a similar fate, is there a type of
roller door where any damaged slats can be replaced individually?
--
Regards,
Mike Halmarack

Drop the EGG to email me.

Mike Halmarack

On Mon, 04 Jul 2005 15:51:10 GMT, "BigWallop"
wrote:

"Mike Halmarack" wrote in message
.. .
I'm replacing my beloved up-and-over plastic garage door because
someone backed into it. I'm considering a roller door this time but
just in case the next one suffers a similar fate, is there a type of
roller door where any damaged slats can be replaced individually?

Regards,
Mike Halmarack

Yes. All of them.

Now that's what I call positivity!

--
Regards,
Mike Halmarack

Drop the EGG to email me.
BigWallop

wrote:

"Mike Halmarack" wrote in message
.. .
I'm replacing my beloved up-and-over plastic garage door because
someone backed into it. I'm considering a roller door this time but
just in case the next one suffers a similar fate, is there a type of
roller door where any damaged slats can be replaced individually?

Regards,
Mike Halmarack

Yes. All of them.

Now that's what I call positivity!

Regards,
Mike Halmarack

Roller shutters aren't rocket science Mike, and they all fit together like
very simply indeed. I watched two guys extending a roller shutter only this
morning, and they finished it before the kettle had boiled for their tea
break. :-)

Mike Halmarack

wrote:

"Mike Halmarack" wrote in message
.. .
I'm replacing my beloved up-and-over plastic garage door because
someone backed into it. I'm considering a roller door this time but
just in case the next one suffers a similar fate, is there a type of
roller door where any damaged slats can be replaced individually?

Regards,
Mike Halmarack

Yes. All of them.

Now that's what I call positivity!

Regards,
Mike Halmarack

Roller shutters aren't rocket science Mike,

Phew, That's a relief because if I'm anything at all, it's not a
rocket scientist.

and they all fit together like
very simply indeed. I watched two guys extending a roller shutter only this
morning,

I can understand how it would be simple. Then again, I thought it
would be just possible that there are some slatted types where
replacement would be more of a problem. I'd want to avoid these.

and they finished it before the kettle had boiled for their tea
break. :-)

Yes, well if people would limit themselves to tea, there'd be fewer of
them backing into garage doors.

--
Regards,
Mike Halmarack

Drop the EGG to email me.

BigWallop

wrote:

[...]

ROFL!!! Quite right. :-)

Mike Halmarack

On Mon, 04 Jul 2005 16:43:08 +0100, Mike Halmarack
wrote:

I'm replacing my beloved up-and-over plastic garage door because
someone backed into it. I'm considering a roller door this time but
just in case the next one suffers a similar fate, is there a type of
roller door where any damaged slats can be replaced individually?

One of the reasons I ask here is to get unbiased, non profit motivated
opinions. I emailed one company with a big web presence and was told
that the only doors with replaceable slats were both insulated and
automated. If true, this will be relatively expensive. I may decide I
want both insulated and automated anyway but it's useful to have a
clear understanding of the options. More emails to more garage door
websites then. :-)
--
Regards,
Mike Halmarack

Drop the EGG to email me.
Owain

Mike Halmarack wrote:
One of the reasons I ask here is to get unbiased, non profit motivated
opinions. I emailed one company with a big web presence and was told
that the only doors with replaceable slats were both insulated and
automated. If true, this will be relatively expensive. I may decide I
want both insulated and automated anyway but it's useful to have a
clear understanding of the options. More emails to more garage door
websites then. :-)

I would ignore garage door websites and look at commercial roller shutters.

Probably more likely to submit a businesslike quote rather than sending
a high-pressure salesman, and much more likely to offer an emergency
repair service.

Owain

Mike Halmarack

On Tue, 05 Jul 2005 13:59:22 +0100, Owain
wrote:

Mike Halmarack wrote:
One of the reasons I ask here is to get unbiased, non profit motivated
opinions. I emailed one company with a big web presence and was told
that the only doors with replaceable slats were both insulated and
automated. If true, this will be relatively expensive. I may decide I
want both insulated and automated anyway but it's useful to have a
clear understanding of the options. More emails to more garage door
websites then. :-)

I would ignore garage door websites and look at commercial roller shutters.

Probably more likely to submit a businesslike quote rather than sending
a high-pressure salesman, and much more likely to offer an emergency
repair service.

Owain

That seems like a pretty sensible approach and it may turn out to be
the best option. Right now my mind is doddering around the
possibility that I can list a suitable range of door types, then try
to get one of them from eBay. The selection on eBay recently have
mostly been of the type that are abundant on garage door websites. Not
a high percentage of commercial type and quality doors there usually
in my experience. When they do need repair I hope they'll be d-i-y
repairable.
--
Regards,
Mike Halmarack

Drop the EGG to email me.
Owain

Mike Halmarack wrote:
Right now my mind is doddering around the
possibility that I can list a suitable range of door types, then try
to get one of them from eBay. The selection on eBay recently have
mostly been of the type that are abundant on garage door websites.

I wonder why ...

Owain

Mike Halmarack

On Tue, 05 Jul 2005 19:50:37 +0100, Owain
wrote:

Mike Halmarack wrote:
Right now my mind is doddering around the
possibility that I can list a suitable range of door types, then try
to get one of them from eBay. The selection on eBay recently have
mostly been of the type that are abundant on garage door websites.

I wonder why ...

So do I, it may be significant

--
Regards,
Mike Halmarack

Drop the EGG to email me.

Chantecler Windows and Doors Brian White Home Repair 3 June 6th 16 11:22 PM
Salice Concertina doors Roller SantaUK UK diy 1 July 10th 06 02:44 PM
Advice needed on putting poly on wood interior doors Shawn Home Repair 15 January 17th 05 05:26 AM
mdf wardrobe doors gary watson UK diy 10 October 27th 04 04:04 PM
Stripped doors in Edinburg (experience; long) robin UK diy 0 September 1st 03 01:49 PM