Posted to uk.d-i-y
Chris Green Chris Green is offline

Default [OT] Replaceable chinaware?

Tim Watts wrote:
On 04/01/18 00:21, alan_m wrote:
On 03/01/2018 21:53, Tim Watts wrote:
I'm in the market for a new set of china plates etc.

However, what happens is one of many parts will get broken or at least
chipped badly in just a few years.

Does anyone sell long life designs - nothing fancy, plain is good
(thinking hotels and restaurants must demand sets that they can get
new parts for?)

It's either that or buy a backup set and keep that in the loft!

Why bother with replacements - are you going to have formal banquets on
a regular basis? Its rather like having a best set of cutlery that sees
the light day once in a decade or more and is a complete waste of money!
When you die your relatives will only regard these prized possessions as
house clearance fodder.

Not really - this is every day use - and thus will get knocked about. So
rather than binning a whole set because I'm down to 3 plates, I'd rather
maintain a decent set for a long time.

Nothing worse than mismatching china...

We use our Royal Doulton bone china as 'everyday' china. We have done
since around 1980, it has travelled to Oman and back in that period.

We do break the occasional thing but find it's generally much tougher
than earthenware/stoneware and, in particular, is very resistant to
chips which is often why other china gets 'old'. In general it either
survives being dropped or disintegrates.

We have a *lot* of it because for a while we ran two households so
have some spares still. It is beginning to look a bit worn after
almost 40 years of use but rotating it occasionally means it does all
look pretty much the same still.

As an aside the current fashion for stone/granite worktops is one
reason for more chipped and broken china IMHO.

--
Chris Green
ยท