Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default [OT] Replaceable chinaware?

On 03/01/2018 21:53, Tim Watts wrote:
I'm in the market for a new set of china plates etc.

However, what happens is one of many parts will get broken or at least
chipped badly in just a few years.

Does anyone sell long life designs - nothing fancy, plain is good
(thinking hotels and restaurants must demand sets that they can get new
parts for?)

It's either that or buy a backup set and keep that in the loft!

Denby tend to produce the same range for decades.

SteveW

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
Steve Walker wrote:
On 03/01/2018 21:53, Tim Watts wrote:
I'm in the market for a new set of china plates etc.

However, what happens is one of many parts will get broken or at least
chipped badly in just a few years.

Does anyone sell long life designs - nothing fancy, plain is good
(thinking hotels and restaurants must demand sets that they can get new
parts for?)

It's either that or buy a backup set and keep that in the loft!

Denby tend to produce the same range for decades.

The trouble with things that have been made for ages is that it may cease
production just after you've bought some.

--
from KT24 in Surrey, England
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Brian Reay" wrote in message
news
On 04/01/2018 19:14, Rod Speed wrote:

"Tim Watts" wrote in message
On 03/01/18 22:21, DJC wrote:
On 03/01/18 21:53, Tim Watts wrote:
I'm in the market for a new set of china plates etc.

However, what happens is one of many parts will get broken or at least
chipped badly in just a few years.

Does anyone sell long life designs - nothing fancy, plain is good
(thinking hotels and restaurants must demand sets that they can get
new parts for?)

Try a catering range from Nisbets

https://www.nisbets.co.uk/tableware-...ockery/_/a33-2

They have a shop in Shaftesbury Avenue, or the mail order service is
good.

Thank you

I've also found Wedgewood mentioned elsewhere as being able to get
spares for at least some of their ranges long after. Some ranges have
eye watering prices, but some less so. We're simple folk - we don't need
a soup bowl, pasta bowl and cereal bowl - one type does us just fine.

I hardly ever use any bowl at all now.

2 plates, one small for cakes and toast, one full sized for dinner.

I prefer 3, tho the middle sized ones dont get used as much as the
others.

I prefer Corelle, doesnt chip and easy to replace. I get white.

Corelle is excellent, we bought a set some years back to use in our
motorhome- it is much lighter than normal china and tougher.

However, since buying it, we discovered other, similar products which are,
essentially the same. The Range do one as does IKEA. Both are cheaper
than Corelle, seem to be of similar quality and are available in a wide
range of items.

Like Rod, we opted for white. After 6 years use in a motorhome, none have
chipped, broken, etc.

I have broken a few, but I have quarry tiles in the kitchen and main room.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 04/01/18 21:54, charles wrote:
In article ,
Steve Walker wrote:
On 03/01/2018 21:53, Tim Watts wrote:
I'm in the market for a new set of china plates etc.

However, what happens is one of many parts will get broken or at least
chipped badly in just a few years.

Does anyone sell long life designs - nothing fancy, plain is good
(thinking hotels and restaurants must demand sets that they can get new
parts for?)

It's either that or buy a backup set and keep that in the loft!

Denby tend to produce the same range for decades.

The trouble with things that have been made for ages is that it may cease
production just after you've bought some.

As Denby did ....in my case.

I think Marrakesh ran from about 1992 to 2006

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
Tim Watts wrote:
I'm in the market for a new set of china plates etc.

However, what happens is one of many parts will get broken or at least
chipped badly in just a few years.

Does anyone sell long life designs - nothing fancy, plain is good
(thinking hotels and restaurants must demand sets that they can get new
parts for?)

It's either that or buy a backup set and keep that in the loft!

If you can only buy what you want in sets at the moment? ;-)

There are some classic designs which are kept in production, but these are
likely to be top end rather than daily wear.

Otherwise as you say buy some spares now. You can virtually guarantee the
bits you have spares for will never get chipped.

--
* I like you. You remind me of when I was young and stupid

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Steve Walker wrote:
On 03/01/2018 21:53, Tim Watts wrote:
I'm in the market for a new set of china plates etc.

However, what happens is one of many parts will get broken or at least
chipped badly in just a few years.

Does anyone sell long life designs - nothing fancy, plain is good
(thinking hotels and restaurants must demand sets that they can get new
parts for?)

It's either that or buy a backup set and keep that in the loft!

Denby tend to produce the same range for decades.

The trouble with things that have been made for ages is that it may cease
production just after you've bought some.

As Denby did ....in my case.

I think Marrakesh ran from about 1992 to 2006

BTSTGTTS ;-) I dropped a Marrakesh dinner plate and had to resort to
ebay for a replacement

To be fair it was not my favourite of their designs, but someone bought
us a couple of craftsman style mugs for a wedding present, and then
later we got bought some more tableware in the same design since "we
already had some like that". So the decision was made!

Still its has lasted exceedingly well after 20+ years - still looks
pristine, nothing chipped, and the glaze is still in first class
condition despite extensive dish washer exposure.

--
Cheers,

John.