Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Do replaceable lathe ways have any value?

I have a 20" by 14' Lodge and Shipley lathe that I am parting out.

I am mostly paying attention to parts that tend to break when machines
are moved, and need to be replaced, such as handles, taper attachment
base etc. The usual stuff.

But, interestingly, this lathe has replaceable ways, they mount in the
slots on the bed. These have very little wear near the headstock, no wear
beyond that, and can be always installed with the unworn side towards
the chuck. (the lathe was used for an unusual roll threading operation
and that is why the ways have little wear).

Am I assuming correctly that I can, eventually, find a buyer for
those? I will have to ask for a lot of money since waiting for a long
time is not cheap for me.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Sat, 05 Jan 2013 21:44:28 -0600, Ignoramus32174
wrote:

I have a 20" by 14' Lodge and Shipley lathe that I am parting out.

I am mostly paying attention to parts that tend to break when machines
are moved, and need to be replaced, such as handles, taper attachment
base etc. The usual stuff.

But, interestingly, this lathe has replaceable ways, they mount in the
slots on the bed. These have very little wear near the headstock, no wear
beyond that, and can be always installed with the unworn side towards
the chuck. (the lathe was used for an unusual roll threading operation
and that is why the ways have little wear).

Am I assuming correctly that I can, eventually, find a buyer for
those? I will have to ask for a lot of money since waiting for a long
time is not cheap for me.

Yes, I'm sure that several square feet of scrap-value-cost iron in
your own (paid-for) building cost you plenty of cash out of pocket,
don't they, Ig? g

Long Live Capitalism!

--
Intuition isn't the enemy, but the ally, of reason.
-- John Kord Lagemann
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

[...]

Yes, capitalism is awesome.

I paid $425 for that lathe, estimated weight 10k lbs.

But I had to remove it, bring my 15k forklift etc.

The question is, should I try to save those ways, I am thinking yes
but not 100% sure.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

[...]

Pictures of the lathe are here

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

[...]

http://igor.chudov.com/tmp/Lodge-and-Shipley-Lathe/

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

I have a 20" by 14' Lodge and Shipley lathe that I am parting out.

I am mostly paying attention to parts that tend to break when machines
are moved, and need to be replaced, such as handles, taper attachment
base etc. The usual stuff.

But, interestingly, this lathe has replaceable ways, they mount in the
slots on the bed. These have very little wear near the headstock, no wear
beyond that, and can be always installed with the unworn side towards
the chuck. (the lathe was used for an unusual roll threading operation
and that is why the ways have little wear).

Am I assuming correctly that I can, eventually, find a buyer for
those? I will have to ask for a lot of money since waiting for a long
time is not cheap for me.

If its in that good of shape..why the hell are you parting it out?????

Gunner

1. Lie
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

I have a 20" by 14' Lodge and Shipley lathe that I am parting out.

I am mostly paying attention to parts that tend to break when machines
are moved, and need to be replaced, such as handles, taper attachment
base etc. The usual stuff.

But, interestingly, this lathe has replaceable ways, they mount in the
slots on the bed. These have very little wear near the headstock, no wear
beyond that, and can be always installed with the unworn side towards
the chuck. (the lathe was used for an unusual roll threading operation
and that is why the ways have little wear).

Am I assuming correctly that I can, eventually, find a buyer for
those? I will have to ask for a lot of money since waiting for a long
time is not cheap for me.

If its in that good of shape..why the hell are you parting it out?????

It was missing major components in the carriage and cross slide. Like
I said, they were not using it in a normal way.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

[...]

Ah! of course.

Gunner

1. Lie

Ever seen a lathe with replaceable ways? David Billington Metalworking 18 April 17th 06 08:15 PM
Square ways vs. Dovetailed ways? DeepDiver Metalworking 2 April 5th 05 12:16 AM
Lathe Ways Mark Forkheim Metalworking 7 August 6th 04 05:57 AM
steel for gingery lathe ways? mongke Metalworking 13 April 13th 04 10:39 PM
ways of Gingery metal lathe Allan Adler Metalworking 15 December 8th 03 12:55 PM