Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Ignoramus12882 Ignoramus12882 is offline

Default Do replaceable lathe ways have any value?

On 2013-01-06, Gunner wrote:
On Sat, 05 Jan 2013 21:44:28 -0600, Ignoramus32174
wrote:

I have a 20" by 14' Lodge and Shipley lathe that I am parting out.

I am mostly paying attention to parts that tend to break when machines
are moved, and need to be replaced, such as handles, taper attachment
base etc. The usual stuff.

But, interestingly, this lathe has replaceable ways, they mount in the
slots on the bed. These have very little wear near the headstock, no wear
beyond that, and can be always installed with the unworn side towards
the chuck. (the lathe was used for an unusual roll threading operation
and that is why the ways have little wear).

Am I assuming correctly that I can, eventually, find a buyer for
those? I will have to ask for a lot of money since waiting for a long
time is not cheap for me.

If its in that good of shape..why the hell are you parting it out?????

It was missing major components in the carriage and cross slide. Like
I said, they were not using it in a normal way.