DeepDiver

Default Square ways vs. Dovetailed ways?

I've noticed that some machines (particularly the larger ones) have square
ways instead of dovetail ways. Why is this? Is it simply because square ways
are easier or cheaper to manufacture, or are there other benefits?

Regards,
Michael

Tim Killian

If you're talking about "box" ways versus dovetails, the advantage box
ways have is in rigidity. Big chunks of iron moving at high speeds need
lots of support for a machine to hold 0.00005 positioning tolerances.

Of course the devil is always in the details, so well made dovetails may
actually perform better than poorly-made box ways.

DeepDiver wrote:

I've noticed that some machines (particularly the larger ones) have square
ways instead of dovetail ways. Why is this? Is it simply because square ways
are easier or cheaper to manufacture, or are there other benefits?

Regards,
Michael

Hul Tytus

What sort of machines?

Hul

DeepDiver wrote:
I've noticed that some machines (particularly the larger ones) have square
ways instead of dovetail ways. Why is this? Is it simply because square ways
are easier or cheaper to manufacture, or are there other benefits?

Regards,
Michael

Telescoping square tubes for e-wheel adjuster? Richard Ferguson Metalworking 5 December 20th 04 02:50 AM
Square Tubing joe Metalworking 0 November 21st 04 01:52 AM
Lathe Ways Mark Forkheim Metalworking 7 August 6th 04 06:57 AM
Wood Question: Which is stronger, a round post or square post? McQualude Woodworking 68 November 16th 03 08:19 AM
Hip to be square mttt Woodworking 13 October 6th 03 10:38 PM