Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
David Billington

Default Ever seen a lathe with replaceable ways?

A friend of mine has a Raglan Little John that has hardened ground
rectangular steel bars for the ways which can be removed and might be
reground. See
http://www.lathes.co.uk/raglan/page12.html
http://www.lathes.co.uk/raglan/index.html

Christopher Tidy wrote:

Hi all,

Today I spent an idle moment pondering the design of machine tools. It
occurred to me that the thing that often kills the accuracy of old
lathes is wear to the ways at the headstock end. So I thought, why not
build a lathe with replaceable ways? Either precision ground bars
which screw onto the casting, or a simple set of ways which bolt onto
the headstock at one end, and perhaps a pair of mounting feet
underneath? And the best solution would be if all the manufacturers
used the same dimensions of replaceable ways for each size of lathe...

Anyone ever seen a lathe with intentionally replaceable ways?

Best wishes,

Chris

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
DaveB

Christopher Tidy wrote:

Hi all,

Today I spent an idle moment pondering the design of machine tools. It
occurred to me that the thing that often kills the accuracy of old
lathes is wear to the ways at the headstock end. So I thought, why not
build a lathe with replaceable ways? Either precision ground bars
which screw onto the casting, or a simple set of ways which bolt onto
the headstock at one end, and perhaps a pair of mounting feet
underneath? And the best solution would be if all the manufacturers
used the same dimensions of replaceable ways for each size of lathe...

Anyone ever seen a lathe with intentionally replaceable ways?

Best wishes,

Chris

We manufactured a large lathe in the mid 70's that had them.
No matter how you cut it a solid cast lathe bed with ground and
scraped ways is always better for rigidity.

Lots of builders are using linear bearing ways, still not as good as
box ways.

Regards

Daveb

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Harold and Susan Vordos

"Christopher Tidy" wrote in message
Hi all,

Today I spent an idle moment pondering the design of machine tools. It
occurred to me that the thing that often kills the accuracy of old
lathes is wear to the ways at the headstock end. So I thought, why not
build a lathe with replaceable ways? Either precision ground bars which
screw onto the casting, or a simple set of ways which bolt onto the
headstock at one end, and perhaps a pair of mounting feet underneath?
And the best solution would be if all the manufacturers used the same
dimensions of replaceable ways for each size of lathe...

Anyone ever seen a lathe with intentionally replaceable ways?

Best wishes,

Chris

LeBlond used replaceable ways in their contstuction at one point in time.
They were rectangular as I recall. It's been many years since I last saw
one..

Harold

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Anthony

Christopher Tidy wrote in
:

Hi all,

Today I spent an idle moment pondering the design of machine tools. It
occurred to me that the thing that often kills the accuracy of old
lathes is wear to the ways at the headstock end. So I thought, why not
build a lathe with replaceable ways? Either precision ground bars which
screw onto the casting, or a simple set of ways which bolt onto the
headstock at one end, and perhaps a pair of mounting feet underneath?
And the best solution would be if all the manufacturers used the same
dimensions of replaceable ways for each size of lathe...

Anyone ever seen a lathe with intentionally replaceable ways?

Best wishes,

Chris

All kinds of them...they are called 'Linear way machines'. They use
linear bearing ways, which are replaceable. Typical of about any real
machine tool manufacturer out there.

--
Anthony

better idiots.

Remove sp to reply via email
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Richard W.

"Christopher Tidy" wrote in message
Hi all,

Today I spent an idle moment pondering the design of machine tools. It
occurred to me that the thing that often kills the accuracy of old
lathes is wear to the ways at the headstock end. So I thought, why not
build a lathe with replaceable ways? Either precision ground bars which
screw onto the casting, or a simple set of ways which bolt onto the
headstock at one end, and perhaps a pair of mounting feet underneath?
And the best solution would be if all the manufacturers used the same
dimensions of replaceable ways for each size of lathe...

Anyone ever seen a lathe with intentionally replaceable ways?

Best wishes,

Chris

LeBlond Regal and some models of Lodge & Shipley have replaceable ways. The
L&S that I seen was built in the late 40's or early 50's. LeBlond Regals
that had replaceable ways I think were from the 60's on. At least the Regals
that I have seen and used. I always wondered who in the area had a surface
grinder with long enough travel to grind the ways. I would imagine that a
planer with a 5 HP compound grinder could do it.

Richard

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

************************************************** *************The Taig
(a nice small desktop machine) has a steel dovetail
which bolts onto an aluminum framework filled with concrete to control
vibration -- it is a little bigger than the Unimat mentioned above, but
*much* more rigid.

Woodworkers will use mass to try to stabilze wood lathes as well. I
have seen people put bags of lead shot across the systems. The beads,
in addition to the mass, have some positive effect on absorbing
vibration.

Anybody ever fill metal lathes/ mills with lead shot?

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Leon

Christopher Tidy wrote:
Hi all,

Today I spent an idle moment pondering the design of machine tools. It
occurred to me that the thing that often kills the accuracy of old
lathes is wear to the ways at the headstock end. So I thought, why not
build a lathe with replaceable ways? Either precision ground bars which
screw onto the casting, or a simple set of ways which bolt onto the
headstock at one end, and perhaps a pair of mounting feet underneath?
And the best solution would be if all the manufacturers used the same
dimensions of replaceable ways for each size of lathe...

Anyone ever seen a lathe with intentionally replaceable ways?

The Taig Micro Lathe has a replaceable bed. It's similar in
construction to a jeweller's lathe. The replacement only costs $62.25,
but it a rather small lathe, and is a bit under half the cost of the
complete unit in kit form.

Leon

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Steve Lusardi

My 18 X 54 L & S It is like new. I am the second owner. It was made in '71
and it is a joy to use. It is so good they went out of business in the 80s.
Think about it.
Steve

"Christopher Tidy" wrote in message
Hi all,

Today I spent an idle moment pondering the design of machine tools. It
occurred to me that the thing that often kills the accuracy of old lathes
is wear to the ways at the headstock end. So I thought, why not build a
lathe with replaceable ways? Either precision ground bars which screw onto
the casting, or a simple set of ways which bolt onto the headstock at one
end, and perhaps a pair of mounting feet underneath? And the best solution
would be if all the manufacturers used the same dimensions of replaceable
ways for each size of lathe...

Anyone ever seen a lathe with intentionally replaceable ways?

Best wishes,

Chris

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Christopher Tidy

Steve Lusardi wrote:
My 18 X 54 L & S It is like new. I am the second owner. It was made in '71
and it is a joy to use. It is so good they went out of business in the 80s.
Think about it.
Steve

Thanks for the information. I'll keep an eye out for the machines you've
mentioned and perhaps sometime get a chance to take a close look at one.

Design of products which can be repaired and maintained is a big
interest of mine. In fact, I'm working on a website about it at the
moment, but progress is slow. I'll let you know when (if) it is finished.

Best wishes,

Chris

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
nortonfan

My Hardinge HLV toolroom lathe has replaceable (if expensive) dovetail
ways. I purchased a new dovetail from Hardinge, for around $800,
fifteen or more years ago. The saddle, tailstock and other parts still
needed to be aligned/scraped in, however. Not an easy or inexpensive
proposition. But, keeping in mind what a new lathe of that degree of
precision would have cost, it was all very reasonable. I don't know
what Hardinge would have to charge for that part these days. I hear
that the dovetail can be removed and reground by an experienced shop
that does this sort of work and it is not that expensive.

Cheers,
Norman C

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Jordan

Design of products which can be repaired and maintained is a big
interest of mine.

What about regrinding the ways?

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
skuke

On Sat, 15 Apr 2006 00:53:42 +0000, Christopher Tidy wrote:

Hi all,

Today I spent an idle moment pondering the design of machine tools. It
occurred to me that the thing that often kills the accuracy of old
lathes is wear to the ways at the headstock end. So I thought, why not
build a lathe with replaceable ways? Either precision ground bars which
screw onto the casting, or a simple set of ways which bolt onto the
headstock at one end, and perhaps a pair of mounting feet underneath?
And the best solution would be if all the manufacturers used the same
dimensions of replaceable ways for each size of lathe...

Anyone ever seen a lathe with intentionally replaceable ways?

Best wishes,

Chris

Hardinge HLV beds can be replaced for about $1500 (last time I checked).

I worked on an engine lathe a long time ago that had a section under the
head that was removable to accomodate a larger swing. I don't see why you
couldn't replace that section if it became worn from use. Although, I'm
sure the rest of the ways were ground to match
--
Skuke
Reverse the domain name to send email
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Christopher Tidy

Jordan wrote:
Design of products which can be repaired and maintained is a big
interest of mine.

What about regrinding the ways?

Indeed. I was just wondering if you might be able to replace the ways
(i) more cheaply, (ii) more readily and (iii) more times than is
possible with a regrind.

Chris

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Jordan wrote:
Design of products which can be repaired and maintained is a big
interest of mine.

What about regrinding the ways?

Indeed. I was just wondering if you might be able to replace the ways
(i) more cheaply, (ii) more readily and (iii) more times than is
possible with a regrind.

Chris

There are some obvious benefits from replacing ways, one of which is not
losing orientation with related components. Machines that are so equipped
tend to outwear soft cast iron ways, so the bed tends to outlast the balance
of the machine and never need replacing. The advantage is a lathe that
will maintain its original precision for a much longer period of time.
Flame hardened and ground bedways are, for all practical purposes, just as
good so long as they are properly ground at the outset.

Harold.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
James P Crombie

I worked for quite a while on a Lodge & Shipley 25x96 toolroom lathe
that has replaceable ways. Probably be a hard time finding replacements
though. But they could be reground if you could find the right shop.

Richard W. wrote:
[...]

House of tools lathe - comments Machineman Metalworking 24 July 11th 04 05:58 AM
How to build a chip tray for a lathe stand? Josef Burger Metalworking 7 May 11th 04 05:08 PM
ways of Gingery metal lathe Allan Adler Metalworking 15 December 8th 03 12:55 PM
Lathe price Cuezilla Metalworking 13 October 6th 03 06:42 PM
My $20 lathe (well, sort of...) Patrick H. Corrigan Woodworking 4 August 29th 03 02:29 AM