Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Anthony

Default Ever seen a lathe with replaceable ways?

Christopher Tidy wrote in
:

Hi all,

Today I spent an idle moment pondering the design of machine tools. It
occurred to me that the thing that often kills the accuracy of old
lathes is wear to the ways at the headstock end. So I thought, why not
build a lathe with replaceable ways? Either precision ground bars which
screw onto the casting, or a simple set of ways which bolt onto the
headstock at one end, and perhaps a pair of mounting feet underneath?
And the best solution would be if all the manufacturers used the same
dimensions of replaceable ways for each size of lathe...

Anyone ever seen a lathe with intentionally replaceable ways?

Best wishes,

Chris

All kinds of them...they are called 'Linear way machines'. They use
linear bearing ways, which are replaceable. Typical of about any real
machine tool manufacturer out there.

--
Anthony

better idiots.