Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Steve Lusardi

Default Ever seen a lathe with replaceable ways?

My 18 X 54 L & S It is like new. I am the second owner. It was made in '71
and it is a joy to use. It is so good they went out of business in the 80s.
Think about it.
Steve

"Christopher Tidy" wrote in message
Hi all,

Today I spent an idle moment pondering the design of machine tools. It
occurred to me that the thing that often kills the accuracy of old lathes
is wear to the ways at the headstock end. So I thought, why not build a
lathe with replaceable ways? Either precision ground bars which screw onto
the casting, or a simple set of ways which bolt onto the headstock at one
end, and perhaps a pair of mounting feet underneath? And the best solution
would be if all the manufacturers used the same dimensions of replaceable
ways for each size of lathe...

Anyone ever seen a lathe with intentionally replaceable ways?

Best wishes,

Chris