Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Richard W.

Default Ever seen a lathe with replaceable ways?

"Christopher Tidy" wrote in message
Hi all,

Today I spent an idle moment pondering the design of machine tools. It
occurred to me that the thing that often kills the accuracy of old
lathes is wear to the ways at the headstock end. So I thought, why not
build a lathe with replaceable ways? Either precision ground bars which
screw onto the casting, or a simple set of ways which bolt onto the
headstock at one end, and perhaps a pair of mounting feet underneath?
And the best solution would be if all the manufacturers used the same
dimensions of replaceable ways for each size of lathe...

Anyone ever seen a lathe with intentionally replaceable ways?

Best wishes,

Chris

LeBlond Regal and some models of Lodge & Shipley have replaceable ways. The
L&S that I seen was built in the late 40's or early 50's. LeBlond Regals
that had replaceable ways I think were from the 60's on. At least the Regals
that I have seen and used. I always wondered who in the area had a surface
grinder with long enough travel to grind the ways. I would imagine that a
planer with a 5 HP compound grinder could do it.

Richard