Greg G.

Default Q: Table Saw Zero Clearance Plates with Replaceable Inserts

Has anyone tried the zero clearance plates that have replaceable
inserts? If so, how did it work out? Would you buy one again?
(I've seen them, but don't remember the brand, sorry.)

Yes, I know it's not difficult to make them, and I do so currently,
but I have special reason for this request, and that is Dados.
I don't want umpteen different plates for varying dado widths, and the
replaceable insert style would make it much easier to deal with.

Thanks,

Greg G.
Bigpole

Greg G. wrote:
Has anyone tried the zero clearance plates that have replaceable
inserts? If so, how did it work out? Would you buy one again?
(I've seen them, but don't remember the brand, sorry.)

Yes, I know it's not difficult to make them, and I do so currently,
but I have special reason for this request, and that is Dados.
I don't want umpteen different plates for varying dado widths, and the
replaceable insert style would make it much easier to deal with.

Thanks,

Greg G.

Greg, do you know how much they cost? I think they are around $80.
Have you found them cheaper?
Ted

Greg G.

Leon said:

"Greg G." wrote in message
.. .

Has anyone tried the zero clearance plates that have replaceable
inserts? If so, how did it work out? Would you buy one again?
(I've seen them, but don't remember the brand, sorry.)

Yes, I know it's not difficult to make them, and I do so currently,
but I have special reason for this request, and that is Dados.
I don't want umpteen different plates for varying dado widths, and the
replaceable insert style would make it much easier to deal with.

You realize that with the plate that uses replaceable inserts that you will
have just as many as you would with the home made kind but more expensive.

But they are a lot smaller. And in this shop, every square inch is
precious. But after looking more closely at the plates, however, I
have seen the folly of it all. I thought they used homemade inserts,
but no - $17.95 per 2 or $10.00 per 5, depending on the brand.

The Betterley TRU-CUT does have nice spring loaded balls, however.
Something I've always wanted...

Greg G.
Swingman

"Greg G." wrote in message

precious. But after looking more closely at the plates, however, I
have seen the folly of it all. I thought they used homemade inserts,
but no - $17.95 per 2 or $10.00 per 5, depending on the brand.

Your mission, should you decide to accept it, is to design a table saw dado
sled with homemade replaceable inserts.

Let us know when you're done.

--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 10/22/05

Greg G.

Swingman said:

"Greg G." wrote in message

precious. But after looking more closely at the plates, however, I
have seen the folly of it all. I thought they used homemade inserts,
but no - $17.95 per 2 or $10.00 per 5, depending on the brand.

Your mission, should you decide to accept it, is to design a table saw dado
sled with homemade replaceable inserts.

Let us know when you're done.

And it has to handle 32" x 72" sheet goods... yea, right.

I *hope* you are kidding...

Greg G.

Swingman

"Greg G." wrote in message

And it has to handle 32" x 72" sheet goods... yea, right.

Why? ... most cabinet parts that would have dado's are less than 24" wide.

I *hope* you are kidding...

Just partially ... been thinking about it lately, so might decide to do it
myself. I'll let you know.

--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 10/22/05

Greg G.

Swingman said:

"Greg G." wrote in message

And it has to handle 32" x 72" sheet goods... yea, right.

Why? ... most cabinet parts that would have dado's are less than 24" wide.

I guess if you did only cabinets and other shallow things, it actually
would work. But desks, entertainment centers, router stations, etc.
are closer to 30+. Mine are, anyway.
And what about a 'lengthwise' dado? (The 72" dimension?)

I *hope* you are kidding...

Just partially ... been thinking about it lately, so might decide to do it
myself. I'll let you know.

For cabinet work, I guess I could see some advantage.
But in my case, it's just another HUGE jig to take up space.

Even though I mentioned the shop is 19x19, most of the wall space is
eaten up by: a 6' wide storage closet with doors, the kitchen door, an
outside door, and 2x 9' garage doors. I wish there weren't so many
fracken doors. Your shop looks so roomy compared to mine. I don't
have one stinking corner that doesn't have a door in it. :-\

I had to use a CAD program just to fit the tools inside without
breaking my back moving them around. Had to allow for foot traffic -
which I could do without as well. If I get scared out of my wits by
one more unexpected 'visitor' behind my back that I can't hear due to
a noisy power tool, I'm going to end up cutting my fingers off. And
it apparently does no good to plead for no interruptions.
Lock the door you say? Ha! They turn the lights on and off to get my
attention - yea, that *really* helps a lot.

I like the Big Red Sign over your shop door - NO TRESPASSING!
(As best I could make out...) And the fence - Razor wire?

Greg G.
B a r r y

Swingman wrote:

Why? ... most cabinet parts that would have dado's are less than 24" wide.

That would be SOME set of chippers!

I know what you mean, but the image popped into my head anyway. G

Edwin Pawlowski

"Greg G." wrote in message
And it has to handle 32" x 72" sheet goods... yea, right.

I *hope* you are kidding...

I cut 48" with my sled. that is one reason I built it.

Clint

How is that really difficult? Make a standard sled, route out a 2" wide
groove deep enough to hold some 1/4" hardboard, and screw the hardboard
down. Make your cut; when you dado width gets wider, replace the hardboard.

--
Clint

On Mon, 31 Oct 2005 09:06:52 -0500, Greg wrote:

Has anyone tried the zero clearance plates that have replaceable
inserts? If so, how did it work out? Would you buy one again?
(I've seen them, but don't remember the brand, sorry.)

Yes, I know it's not difficult to make them, and I do so currently,
but I have special reason for this request, and that is Dados.
I don't want umpteen different plates for varying dado widths, and the
replaceable insert style would make it much easier to deal with.

Thanks,

Greg G.

yeah, but then you gotta make the inserts, or go buy them, which is a
silly waste of money and more importantly time.

make a good fitting template and run off a dozen or so with a pattern
bit on the router. have separate ones for all of your most used dado
widths and bevel angles.

changing out throat plates has to be easier and faster than changing
out inserts.
Vic Baron

The Betterley TRU-CUT does have nice spring loaded balls, however.
Something I've always wanted...

How special of you to share that. I'll keep the vertically offset ones I
have, thank you.

TWS

On Mon, 31 Oct 2005 09:06:52 -0500, Greg wrote:

Has anyone tried the zero clearance plates that have replaceable
inserts? If so, how did it work out? Would you buy one again?
(I've seen them, but don't remember the brand, sorry.)

Yes, I know it's not difficult to make them, and I do so currently,
but I have special reason for this request, and that is Dados.
I don't want umpteen different plates for varying dado widths, and the
replaceable insert style would make it much easier to deal with.

Thanks,

Greg G.

Why do you need zero clearance inserts for Dado cuts? Just use the
standard wide throated insert for those cuts. It's not like you're
going to lose the workpiece into the opening on a cross cut.

The only exception I can see is if you use your dado set to make an
end cut on a tenon. I've used a 3/8 inch spacer between my two
outside blades from my dado set to cut the perfectly thick tenon where
centering wasn't critical. The zero clearance insert is essential in
this case but it was a rather unique case that I was more than willing
to dedicate an insert to.

I don't bother with zero clearance inserts for normal dados as there
is usually plenty of material in the workpiece to keep it flat on the
TS surface.

TWS
David

TWS wrote:

[...]

I agree. I have one homemade insert for all dado operations, regardless
of how many chippers are installed.

Dave

Greg G.

TWS said:

On Mon, 31 Oct 2005 09:06:52 -0500, Greg wrote:

Has anyone tried the zero clearance plates that have replaceable
inserts? If so, how did it work out? Would you buy one again?

Why do you need zero clearance inserts for Dado cuts? Just use the
standard wide throated insert for those cuts. It's not like you're
going to lose the workpiece into the opening on a cross cut.

Uhhh...Tearout - the same reason I use them on a standard cut.
And probably the same reason everyone else uses them as well.

I don't cut stock small enough to slip into the opening anyway.

It's a moot point anyway, I'll just make my own. I didn't realize
when I asked the question that the inserts are not standard materials
and that they cost almost as much as a standard insert. I was under
the mistaken impression that you could use plywood to make your own
replaceable inserts. Further research shot that one down pretty quick.

Greg G.
Greg G.

David said:

TWS wrote:
I don't bother with zero clearance inserts for normal dados as there
is usually plenty of material in the workpiece to keep it flat on the
TS surface.

I agree. I have one homemade insert for all dado operations, regardless
of how many chippers are installed.

To each his own.
I personally prefer my 2x4s to have unfrayed edges. :-\

Greg G.
David

Greg G. wrote:

David said:

TWS wrote:

I don't bother with zero clearance inserts for normal dados as there
is usually plenty of material in the workpiece to keep it flat on the
TS surface.

I agree. I have one homemade insert for all dado operations, regardless
of how many chippers are installed.

To each his own.
I personally prefer my 2x4s to have unfrayed edges. :-\

Greg G.

if you were in the neighborhood, I'd give you a demo, Greg. ZERO tear
out, EVERY time.

Dave