Posted to uk.d-i-y
Bill Wright[_3_] Bill Wright[_3_] is offline

Default [OT] Replaceable chinaware?

On 04/01/2018 00:21, alan_m wrote:
On 03/01/2018 21:53, Tim Watts wrote:
I'm in the market for a new set of china plates etc.

However, what happens is one of many parts will get broken or at least
chipped badly in just a few years.

Does anyone sell long life designs - nothing fancy, plain is good
(thinking hotels and restaurants must demand sets that they can get
new parts for?)

It's either that or buy a backup set and keep that in the loft!

It's a different world this is. Are you in the south? Our pots are
more-or-less all different. I don't think we've ever bought any plates
or owt. They're just ones we've got when old rellies have cocked their
clogs. Also I found some nice mugs last year amongst a load of
flytipping I was sifting for clues as to who'd dumped it all.
It's the same with cutlery. We have items stamped WRCC (that means they
were pinched from school), some really weird ones with pictures of long
dead monarchs (God knows where we got them), and some stamped WD with a
broad arrow.
I have three carving-type knives. One was a Christmas present years ago
and it's a good knife; takes an edge easily. One used to be my mam's.
One was my dad's, it was a dagger really; he said it was for filleting
fish but actually he always had it down the side of his car seat in case
he was attacked. I sharpen my knives on the oilstone from my dad's
workshop.
I have a chopping board that my dad made for my mam as a baking board
when they set up house in 1947. Like everything Dad made it's grossly
over-engineered.

Bill